Defunctland deep dive on Fastpass

The Visionary Soul

I have many nitpicks on that video. Kevin did a great job; don’t get me wrong. But there are a lot of glaring errors. One such example is the cost of creating FP+. He’s off by a few billion dollars. Another are the ratios (mentioned above). And another is the idea that Disney wants you to spend more than one day at a park (they don’t). I could go on and on, but the reality is that even with all these errors, it’s still the best documentary I’ve ever seen that is based on FastPass.

Animaniac93-98

I have many nitpicks on that video. Kevin did a great job; don’t get me wrong. But there are a lot of glaring errors. One such example is the cost of creating FP+. He’s off by a few billion dollars. Another are the ratios (mentioned above). And another is the idea that Disney wants you to spend more than one day at a park (they don’t). I could go on and on, but the reality is that even with all these errors, it’s still the best documentary I’ve ever seen that is based on FastPass.

How long before we get the official Disney+ documentary on the subject to give the "real" story? ;)

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
Just watched this. The one thing I struggle with is that it didnt seem the model actually matched animal kingdom. maybe I missed something, but I think it presented it as having 7 rides. If memory serves, AK also had 3 shows, bug movie, a meet and greet, and a nighttime show on FP+? And a tired system too, which would change the habits of the guests.

It would seem to me that this would fundamentally change the model. I know there was a point about FP+ spreading demand, but the tiers also squashed demand for headliner FP because you had to use two other fastpasses.

Anyway not the end of the world and still a great video, but this bugged me a bit. the simulation takes into account the number of

Just watched this. The one thing I struggle with is that it didnt seem the model actually matched animal kingdom. maybe I missed something, but I think it presented it as having 7 rides. If memory serves, AK also had 3 shows, bug movie, a meet and greet, and a nighttime show on FP+? And a tired system too, which would change the habits of the guests.

It would seem to me that this would fundamentally change the model. I know there was a point about FP+ spreading demand, but the tiers also squashed demand for headliner FP because you had to use two other fastpasses.

Anyway not the end of the world and still a great video, but this bugged me a bit.
In reference to wait times alone, the catagory of guest (more likely to do rides, indifferent, mostly shows) and the balking time should have already been included in the simulation. He was spot-on with some of the architypes

wutisgood

That's exactly what a 'distraction' in this context is... something else to do besides that big 'most popular attraction'. Be it shows, activities, other attractions. If someone isn't chomping at the bit to do rideX because they are interested in somethingY... the pressure on rideX's availability is reduced.

Then you just have the RoTR issue where 80% miss out and complain. Making it work but just for a small subset won't fly. Because even though you maybe positioning it as 'something optional' -- the whole reason people want line skips in the first place still exists.

If the park is miserable for 80% of the people.. the fact that 20% had a good experience won't keep the ship afloat.

You don't need 100% of people having the best experience.. but you do need a high percentage of people satisified. And in the current conditions, standby alone isn't going to cut it during busy periods.

Disney fundamentally needs to fix their supply vs demand issues to improve the guest experience.

Rather than 'cap the amount of genie' - they could cap the number of guests! But we know that's not gonna happen, so they are going to have to pump up their rosters, or face a customer base that is more and more disenchanted with Disney because of their own stuffing behaviors.
I know many people who go to disney and miss out on many of the best attractions and don't complain publicly because it looks bad on their social status. I also have met many people who have no idea they needed to reserve anything. I do think the lack of other shows and capacity is going to make these people actually complain and expose the reality so disney should be a bit more concerned on this. I do not think people realize the current acceptance rate of people who pay for disney and do nothing is tho,

hopemax

I assume the cost was what he could actually "source" through official statements and traditional media reporting. The other numbers (2-4 billion) that we've heard get thrown around came from forum rumors & insiders. The 1 Billion was the only number I remember being common knowledge. But my brain is not what it used to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom