Decent backpack for the parks

wizards8507

I've been going to Disney and tons of other theme parks for years, and I've yet to find a backpack that works well. It's usually either one of the Nike gym bags with the rope straps that cut off the circulation to your arms when you fill them with water bottles, or a legitimate LL Bean or Swissgear backpack that doesn't fit into any of the on-ride baskets. There has to be a better option out there, but I haven't been able to find it. Any tips?

Pioneer Hall

I've been going to Disney and tons of other theme parks for years, and I've yet to find a backpack that works well. It's usually either one of the Nike gym bags with the rope straps that cut off the circulation to your arms when you fill them with water bottles, or a legitimate LL Bean or Swissgear backpack that doesn't fit into any of the on-ride baskets. There has to be a better option out there, but I haven't been able to find it. Any tips?

I've been using a Jansport bag for my park visits for the last 10 years now and it has held up like a charm. Regular size backpack with three compartments that make it very easy for organizing. Since most of what I pack with it is small or flexible I can fold the bag to fit in a compartment on Mission Space or something similar. Other rides I just keep it by my feet and possibly hold on or wrap it accordingly. It has been on every attraction at Disney without a problem.

Upvote 0

me_stitch

Premium Member
I took a Ralph Lauren Polo Sport last time and I'm taking it again on our upcoming trip, it worked great. It has two large zipped storage areas where I kept my camera and stuff and two small zipped pouches on the front where I kept sunglasses and small stuff, it also has a spot for a water bottle on each side. Couldn't tell you where I got it but it was very convenient.

Upvote 0

melmood2000

I love the LL Bean Escape Day Pack. Since it is a Day Pack it is a little smaller then the other LL bean Packs I have owned. It has lots of little pockets in the front zip space, and then a large pocket in the back. You can use a camel pack with it but I just use that space for other things. It has 2 side pockets perfect for water bottles. I didn't have any trouble brining this pack on rides.

Upvote 0

IndyDisney

I use a Jansport bag I bought 10 years ago for college. It's not the traditional three pouch one, though. It has on main pouch, then these movable secondary pouches that clip on one side and fold out, exposing these straps underneath, which all I can assume they were for was a skateboard. Long story short, I use those to strap in an umbrella stroller, fill it with water bottles, snacks, juice boxes, ponchos and all other Disney Survival Items and trek on in. It even has a waist belt. I'll try to get a part number and pics up soon.

Best. Disney Backpack. Ever.

Cheers,
Indy

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

I just realized that by the time we go back, my kids will be out of strollers and I will actually have to CARRY our gear, as opposed to stowing it in the stroller. UGH!

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Just curious, what fills a backpack when you are touring the parks?

My sons and I use our pockets for our things, my wife has a DSLR bag that has a few pockets that she uses for some items such as suntan lotion etc.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

My sons and I use our pockets for our things, my wife has a DSLR bag that has a few pockets that she uses for some items such as suntan lotion etc.

Water bottle, small umbrella usually, pins to trade castmembers, camera, whatever I pick up along the way. I usually only carry the bag during the day though...at night I don't bring as much and rely on the pockets.

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

My dear wife always carries an Eddie Bauer single strap shoulder back (I'm not sure of the official name is) as a purse. My Son and I travel lite with whatever we need in our pockets.

Upvote 0

plaz10

I've used Vera Bradley backpacks for my last 3 trips and loved them. I have a small and a large one. On days it might get chilly and I want to bring a long sleeve tshirt, I use the large one. Other times I use the small one. (Or depending if my outfit matches the large or small one, I'll use that one!)

I usually carry sunscreen, antibacterial gel, our refillable mug (so we dont have to run back to the room when we get back), camera, snacks, ponchos, some medicine, kleenex and a few other odds and ends. I would rather carry around a backpack than have to go back to the room in the middle of the day if I don't have to. precious disney hours!! I'm a worrier so I always come prepared.

Upvote 0

WDW 3

We travel really light too. DH uses his pockets and DD and I use swingpacks. We each carry our phones, small wallet, sunglasses and not much else. I usually have the ibuprofen, kleenex a pen and DD carries a camera. If they predict rain we have to $1 disposable ponchos we bring for the day. That's about it.

Upvote 0

goshdarnstud

We use a backpack that has a hyrdration bladder in it since we travel in July. I've found that not buying the Camalpak brand is better since for the same price I get a bag with pockets. It fits our guide book, ponchos and maybe a snack or so along with enough water to last us until we get back to the hotel. With the bag I probably stay better hydrated in Florida in July than I do at home.

Upvote 0

DisneyDrama

I don't know what brand it is but we have a "Disney Backpack" that we take to the parks. It has two pockets and fits on all of the rides, with the exception of Soarin'. The best thing about the backpack is that it is clear plastic! The security guys and gals love it. I rarely have to open it and breeze through bag checks. Additionally, since it is plastic it is waterproof. We have taken it on many water rides and the contents have always been perfectly dry! We found our "Disney Backpack" at Walmart for around $10!

Upvote 0

IndyDisney

We go in July, myself, DW, and DD4 . . .

Water bottles, juice boxes, snacks, sunscreen, ponchos, camera, first aid kit, Advil, extra batteries, small umbrella, maps, plastic bags, DD's autograph book, touring plans, . . . heck, I even strap the umbrella stroller to it when DD's not in it. And it's a good place to stick anything we buy in the parks int it.

In my previous WDW life (read: teenager) I never took anything I couldn't carry in my cargo pockets. How things change with little one.

Cheers,
Indy

Upvote 0

britdaw

I don't know what brand it is but we have a "Disney Backpack" that we take to the parks. It has two pockets and fits on all of the rides, with the exception of Soarin'. The best thing about the backpack is that it is clear plastic! The security guys and gals love it. I rarely have to open it and breeze through bag checks. Additionally, since it is plastic it is waterproof. We have taken it on many water rides and the contents have always been perfectly dry! We found our "Disney Backpack" at Walmart for around $10!

Oooh, a clear plastic backpack sounds like a good idea. :D I was looking for good, sturdy yet breathable fabrics but plastic sounds like a good option.

Upvote 0

TinkSassy

I use a mini-backpack (JanSport) in the park - has water bottle holders on the sides and enough room for sunscreen, camera, wallet, etc. I also take a large back-pack and put it in the locker upon arrival. We use that for sweatshirts and jeans for evening, additional water, etc. - that way we can restock with a swing by the locker. Especially helpful if staying offsite.

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

I travel with the back packs sent to us from Adventures by Disney. Off the top of my head i have no clue who make them but they have been the best for me. The kids did not use theirs so i have taken theirs. But now I have a DSLR and am wonder how this will work...dont want to carry both in the parks. I might look for a better..useable camera bag...not pleased with the one i have.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom