December Animal Kingdom Hours

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
Original Poster
I'm a few days away from making dining reservations and I was checking park hours. So far for the week before my trip, Animal Kingdom is slated to close at 5pm each day. I'm assuming just a mistake on Disney's website? Hard to do the evening magic at 5pm haha.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
Original Poster
Actually after more investigation, the DAK hours haven't been updated to the later times from Labor Day on. Wonder if they are trying to figure out if the new show will be open. Hard to make dinner reservations at DAK when park hours are wrong.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
Original Poster
They close AK at 5pm frequently.
The entire park has added evening hours, evening safaris, and the new night time shows. Hence the reason I was curious. You can do any of those at 5pm. And since Disney puts times out 6 months in advance. It's curious that they have updated all other parks but DAK.

Chef Mickey

The entire park has added evening hours, evening safaris, and the new night time shows. Hence the reason I was curious. You can do any of those at 5pm. And since Disney puts times out 6 months in advance. It's curious that they have updated all other parks but DAK.
I know all that. I'm just telling you, they close AK at 5pm a lot. The hours for the rest of this year are not confirmed and might not be every night and every season for all we know.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
Original Poster
I know all that. I'm just telling you, they close AK at 5pm a lot. The hours for the rest of this year are not confirmed and might not be every night and every season for all we know.
I get they aren't set in stone. But I can see at WDW's website what times the MK and other parks close after Labor Day. Just was interested if the problems with Rivers of Life has got WDW in "wait and see" mode about DAK operations until they know the show is working. Right now DAK is open to 11 in June and that's probably overkill!

disney4life2008

While nighttime offerings have started i would not anticipate them being offered year round as of yet. With the numerous problems that have resulted at animal kingdom this month i suspect they will have reduced hours in the fall.

Huglife

I'm a few days away from making dining reservations and I was checking park hours. So far for the week before my trip, Animal Kingdom is slated to close at 5pm each day. I'm assuming just a mistake on Disney's website? Hard to do the evening magic at 5pm haha.

Don't worry. I'm with you. I want to eat at Sanaa on my AK day. I'm worried they're going to release some late hours messing up my ADR.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I get they aren't set in stone. But I can see at WDW's website what times the MK and other parks close after Labor Day. Just was interested if the problems with Rivers of Life has got WDW in "wait and see" mode about DAK operations until they know the show is working. Right now DAK is open to 11 in June and that's probably overkill!
Don't forget sunset is a lot earlier when you're going. No need to open as late.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
True... but comparing the week before Christmas AK hours (when Parks are almost at capacity) closing at 5pm compared to early June when AK is closing at 11. Something obviously isn't adding up.
Give it time. The hours when we are there still say 5pm closing and we're going before you.

And if they do close at 5 and offer no night entertainment we'll go to City Walk :D

Huglife

I imagine the fact that they haven't released Decemeber hours yet means they're not sure about them or are waiting to announce them for some reason. It does but a little stress on those of us making ADRs. My 180 day window is in just over a week and I'm hoping to hear something by then...even if it is just a 5pm closing.

Cowboy Steve

Actually after more investigation, the DAK hours haven't been updated to the later times from Labor Day on. Wonder if they are trying to figure out if the new show will be open. Hard to make dinner reservations at DAK when park hours are wrong.
I'm totally in the same boat as our trip starts Nov 26th. But if we can't make... say... ADRs after 5pm - neither can anyone else. So I am remaining diligent in watching for updated fall/winter hours for AK by checking for an update daily. We already know what day we are going to AK, and we have a 'floater' day if the later hours are only on certain days. We have a 4:45 res at Tiffins... so if longer hours and/or a dinner package become available later on, I will just move the dinner time to later in the day. I really don't anticipate a problem... but you never know... I fully anticipate the park will be open later than 5pm... but I have a contingency in place if it doesn't.

Rumors are swirling aplenty for the delayed RoL show... the Jungle Book show is, I believe, a placeholder for RoL until they get the bugs figured out. If I had to guess, and this is nothing but gut feeling, it will be mid-summer before we see an update for the AK fall/winter schedule released.

AK hours for July weren't updated from 5PM to 11PM until very recently. There have been a lot of changes at AK and not everything is going smoothly so I suspect the evening hours will be added over short time frames and not as far in advance as we've become accustomed to. Guests get upset when they can't plan in advance but they get even more upset when things are delayed or cancelled after being announced.

We are in the same boat (we book ADRs next week). I am sure what others have said is good advice-- give it time, if you can't book ADRs no one can, etc. But personally, I like to plan out a sketch of our trip in advance as much as possible (Disney kind of forces our hand by opening the ADR window so early). To combat the uncertainty I have decided we will go to AK the first day we arrive. Since we have an early flight we will probably be tired, so it won't be such a big deal to head back to the resort early. I am aiming for a 6:00 PM reservation at Sanaa, and then we plan to explore the hotel (staying at Kidani in AKV), which we never make the time to do. I'm actually kind of happy that we have some "forced" relaxation time our first night!

Cowboy Steve

We are in the same boat (we book ADRs next week). I am sure what others have said is good advice-- give it time, if you can't book ADRs no one can, etc. But personally, I like to plan out a sketch of our trip in advance as much as possible (Disney kind of forces our hand by opening the ADR window so early). To combat the uncertainty I have decided we will go to AK the first day we arrive. Since we have an early flight we will probably be tired, so it won't be such a big deal to head back to the resort early. I am aiming for a 6:00 PM reservation at Sanaa, and then we plan to explore the hotel (staying at Kidani in AKV), which we never make the time to do. I'm actually kind of happy that we have some "forced" relaxation time our first night!
We have an early flight as well... and we arrive early. But we have a full 7 additional days there... so we don't try to push it the first day. We will lounge around the pool or beach (weather permitting) until our rooms are ready. Then it is off to the Polynesian for the 5pm 'Spirit of Aloha' dinner show. But the next day... we hit the ground running (AK for us as well) lol! Disney does force your hand with regards to the huge ADR window. On previous trips we had not yet been able to snag a dinner reservation at BOG... and this trip was almost unsuccessful as well. I was up early and making reservations online right at our 180 days out... and still barely got a dinner reservation on the very last day of our 8 day trip - a day we are not in MK. Crazy! lol! We will track that situation in hopes that we might pick up a cancelled reservation the days we are scheduled to be in the MK.

We have an early flight as well... and we arrive early. But we have a full 7 additional days there... so we don't try to push it the first day. We will lounge around the pool or beach (weather permitting) until our rooms are ready. Then it is off to the Polynesian for the 5pm 'Spirit of Aloha' dinner show. But the next day... we hit the ground running (AK for us as well) lol! Disney does force your hand with regards to the huge ADR window. On previous trips we had not yet been able to snag a dinner reservation at BOG... and this trip was almost unsuccessful as well. I was up early and making reservations online right at our 180 days out... and still barely got a dinner reservation on the very last day of our 8 day trip - a day we are not in MK. Crazy! lol! We will track that situation in hopes that we might pick up a cancelled reservation the days we are scheduled to be in the MK.
That sounds great. On a normal trip we would have a bit more time and could take it easy on the first day. This time around my husband and I are traveling alone (no kids for the first time in 4+ years!) We only have three days, so we're going to make the most of it. :)

ninjaprincesst

Wouldn't worry too much. They will change them closer to your trip.And they are probably waiting t see if ROL will be out by then or if they will still have Jungle Book. Even though most would welcome the change there are those who would be irate if the booked a Jungle Book package and it changed to Rivers of light. We are going at Thanksgiving and made ADR a few weeks ago and they still have not made any announcements or changed anything for our trip either. And besides that every year at thanksgiving they don't extend Magic Kingdom hours until right before our trip.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom