Debunking the myth that wheelchairs jump the queues/ guide for wheelchairs and queues

barnum42

The myth that wheelchair users can jump to the front of all lines and take their friends with them seems to still be alive so I thought I’d list my experiences of travelling with a wheelchair user.

My mother has arthritis and a back problem that limits the time she can spend on her feet. So now she uses a wheelchair from which she can transfer to ride vehicles.

We have only travelled off-season so I can not say with any certainty how things may be different at busy times.

MAGIC KINGDOM

Alien Encounter – soon to be Stitch. Same queue. In the pre-show you take the front row. In the main theatre there are a few positions where there is a gap to park the wheelchair under one of the restraints.

Timekeeper – It was not open, but other Circle Vision shows have no special queue and you need to find a gap where standing people will not obscure your view.

Buzz Lightyear – Same queue but at the load bay you have to go along a corridor to the exit area and wait for a CM to board you. This takes longer than no wheelchair.

Carousel of Progress. Same queue, wheelchair spots at front of theatre.

Tomorrowland Transit Authority. Same queue that must be done standing up.

Small World, Peter Pan, Snow White, Winnie the Pooh – Same queue for all rides.

Philarmagic – Same queue wheelchair spots at the back.

Hall of Presidents. Same waiting area. If memory serves the wheelchair spots are at the front.

Liberty Square Riverboat – Separate boarding ramp that takes you to the exit level. Never seen a queue for this, so no real advantage here.

The Haunted Mansion. You wait by the hearse for a CM. If you can stand through the stretch rooms they will gather several groups together and take them in through a back entrance. Otherwise you wheel to the exit area and board there. Possibly a slight time saving on busy days, but off-season it can take longer.

Splash Mountain. Same outdoors queue, until the point you get to the stairs when you are directed to the exit area. You have to battle against people leaving the ride heading to the photo shop. This short cut will save a few minutes, but nothing drastic as most of the queue can be outside.

Thunder Mountain & I think Space Mountain has separate entrances so these are probably queue jumpers.

Country Bears – Same queue. Wheelchair spots at the front.

Swiss Family Treehouse. Never going to happen!

Tiki Rooms. Same queues, can’t recall where the specific wheelchair spots were, but it’s a small theatre.

Jungle Cruise. There is a separate queue, but you can only board the specific boat for wheelchair users. This can leave you with a big wait. Said boat has never been full on my trips and tops up with riders from the regular queue. Depending on how busy the day and how lucky you are with your timing you can save time here. Or it may take longer.

Prates. Wait in the same queue. You have to fold your wheelchair and stick it in the back row. At the end they have a lift (elevator) so you don’t have to try your luck with the moving gangplank.

Parades – three locations for wheelchair users and up to three party members.

Castle Show – Not a hope, even at almost six foot I can’t see through some kid’s head when it’s plonked on it’s parent’s shoulder. Never mind how a wheelchair user can get on.

Fireworks – No luck here. People pack in and unless you get a spot on one of the bridges in advance wheelchair users are at a disadvantage. I found a spot in the town square with a grass spot in front so at least people would not stand in front. It limited the view of the castle but at least Mother was not looking at people’s backs again.

EPCOT:

Spaceship Earth – Separate queue area by the exit ramp. When several wheelchair parties have gathered a CM will fetch everyone and load them at the exit area. Off Peak this takes longer than just walking straight on.

Universe of Energy – Same wait area. Wheelchair spots at the back of the vehicle.

Mission Space – Same Queue.

Living Seas – Same Queue

Living with the Land – Separate queue so this one can be a queue jumper. But only the one wheelchair per boat.

Circle of Life – Wheelchair spots at the back.

Imagination – Same queue.

American Adventure – You are taken straight upstairs in a small lift / elevator and watch the acapella group from up there. Which is a shame because you feel a little separated from everyone else. Wheelchair spots are at the back.

China and Canada circle vision – no wheelchair spots you just need to pick an area where nobody is standing in the rows around you.

Illuminations – Three viewing locations for wheelchair users. I squish up on the floor in front of the chair and watch through the railings.

DISNEY-MGM STUDIOS

Muppet Vision 3D – Same queue, wheelchair spots at the back

Indiana Jones – Same queue, wheelchair spots at the back

Sounds Dangereous – Queue? What queue? If it had one it’s in the same place. Wheelchair spots at the back.

Animation Tour. Same Queue with a strong risk you get to the front and the limited wheelchair spaces are full, in which case you have to wait for the next show. This one, even off peak can take longer. Wheelchair spots at the back of the Mushu and draw it yourself sections.

One Man’s Dream – Wheelchair spots at the back.

Little Mermaid – Same queue wheelchair spots at the back.

Great Movie Ride – When you hit the cinema area you bypass the switchback queue and go to the front, so you may save a bit of time, but I doubt we ever did. I know Mother had to get out of her wheelchair once and I think on another she stayed in the wheelchair.

Beauty and the Beast. Same queue, Wheelchair spots at the back, plus a few at the front.

Fantasmic. Same queue, Wheelchair spots at the back. When these fill up – and they do there is an elevated standing area for the rest and their parties.

ANIMAL KINGDOM

Festival of the Lion King – Same queue, we have turned up when regular seating was available but the wheelchair spots were taken. Wheelchair spots are the end of the rows at ground level.

Pochahontas – Only went the once and I think the wheelchair spots were at the back and front.

Tough to Be a bug. Same queue area, wheelchair spots in the back. Worth transferring out of the chair for this one.

Safari. Same queue, but when you get to the regular loading bay you go straight on to the wheelchair bay where they have extra space to store the wheelchairs for those who transfer. They have two or three special vehicles for wheelchairs, so the wait here can be longer than the regular queue. For those who can not transfer from their wheelchair the vehicles can take a single wheelchair and have it secured in place.

Train to Rafiki’s Same queue, there is a separate holding bay for wheelchairs who are loaded firsts where you back into the end of each carriage.

Affection Section – they have some well-worn chairs into which you transfer to save your own from being nibbled by goats.

Flights of Wonder. Same queue (well, not so much a queue as a throng) though CMs will guide wheelchairs through the crowds. Seating is at the font and the back.

Kali Rapids – Mother did not ride this, but I once saw that they have a static dock so people who need a little longer to load can still ride.

Tarzan Rocks – Same queue, most wheelchair spots are at the back, but there are a few to the right in front of the rollerblade tack and the front, also at the right.

Dinosaur – Same queue, except when you get to the stairs there is a lift / elevator.

The various trails – whilst bumps and with slopes they can easily be navigated on a wheelchair.

The Parade - there are three spots for wheelchair users and up to three of their guests

tigger248

We've heard the comments like "we should get a wheelchair next time so we won't have to wait in line anymore" It kills me. I think my dad may have told someone once that my brother would trade the wheelchair for legs that work any day. We would happily wait in the normal stand by line if it would take away his spina bifida. As for parties going on the ride together, it would neither be right or fair to split wheelchair groups up. I know my family would have a major problem if we were told that we couldn't ride a ride with the 4 of us together. I can understand if you have a tour group of like 50 people, but a family? It's bad enough that we have family members who are unfortunate enough who have to deal with a disability. It wouldn't be fair for some members of the family to have to ride by themselves due to something that we have no control over, but that's just my opinion.

Upvote 0

signerdreams

my mom has many neurological problems and is not able to stand up or walk for very long periods of time. We are thinking of leaving the day after thanksgiving and she will have to be in a wheelchair. Thanks for all the great info.

Upvote 0

Nora

We traveled to WDW with my mom in a wheelchair in the mid 1980s (she broke her leg badly just a week before the trip.) I don't remember there being any particular advantage to her being in the wheelchair (it was January and the regular lines were as short if not shorter than the waits for the wheelchair accessable entrances.) I'm glad that I had this experience (not the part about my mom breaking her leg - the part about traveling with someone in a wheelchair,) because I have nothing but sympathy for people who deal with these issues every day. I remember there were some rides my mom just chose not to go on because it was just too difficult for her to get on (granted, my mom always skipped certain rides.) I have to agree that I find 12 year olds in strollers more annoying, not because they get any special privileges in line, but because I'm convinced that someone is going to sever my Achilles' tendon with their stroller someday.:(

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Just as an aside, when I took my mother to watch Illuminations, we were in the "handicapped" area. They only allowed one person to stay with the disabled person, unless there was a specific reason to have more. (There was a developmentally disabled young man who got very upset if both of her parents weren't there, and he had another sibling with him, so they were all allowed to stay.) There was a large family who were required to split up.

Despite this, it was still quite crowded by the time the show started. I'm glad I got there early, and just bundled my mom up while we waited. (It was January, and COLD that night!!!)

Upvote 0

tigger248

The Mom said:
Just as an aside, when I took my mother to watch Illuminations, we were in the "handicapped" area. They only allowed one person to stay with the disabled person, unless there was a specific reason to have more. (There was a developmentally disabled young man who got very upset if both of her parents weren't there, and he had another sibling with him, so they were all allowed to stay.) There was a large family who were required to split up.

Despite this, it was still quite crowded by the time the show started. I'm glad I got there early, and just bundled my mom up while we waited. (It was January, and COLD that night!!!)

How long ago was that? Just curious, cause they've always let my whole family (4 people) stay together to watch the show. The only exception was once, when we walked up fairly close to start time and there simply wasn't room. The cast member was wonderful and found room for my brother and me while my parents watched from farther back and outside the area. We had no objections, it wouldn't have been fair to the people who got there early.

I have seen wc parties get separated watching Fantasmic. In fact, we get split up at many shows, there just aren't enough seats in the wc sections. Just another one of the ways we have to suffer because of something we had no control over, that just happened from birth.

Upvote 0

awalkinthepark

Ok my FIL has bad knees...can barely walk so he uses an ECV....when we visit the parks as a family it's usually 7-9 people....yes I know a rather large group, but my in-laws only get to see my kids..their grandkids a couple times a year and that time is split with my parents...I would hate to think that my husband, FIL and my BIL(it takes two to safely move my FIL in and out of the rides, his knees are that bad) would have to miss out on the expression on the faces of my boys on Buzz Lightyear because they had to board the ride seperate from the rest of us...or miss the excited chatter of the kids just after they defeated Zurg and beat grandma's score. We recently spent the day at the Magic Kingdom and we all saw Philharmagic together for the first time...my FIL never took his eyes off of my 2 year old. I have seen people fake injuries at the airport at the Southwest terminal in order to preboard....I've also seen people stop using their crutches as soon as they exited the plane....that was back in the day when anyone with children got to preboard and 80% of the plane was preboard to Orlando.

Upvote 0

barnum42

Original Poster
awalkinthepark said:
Ok my FIL has bad knees...can barely walk so he uses an ECV....when we visit the parks as a family it's usually 7-9 people....yes I know a rather large group, but my in-laws only get to see my kids..their grandkids a couple times a year and that time is split with my parents...I would hate to think that my husband, FIL and my BIL(it takes two to safely move my FIL in and out of the rides, his knees are that bad) would have to miss out on the expression on the faces of my boys on Buzz Lightyear because they had to board the ride seperate from the rest of us...or miss the excited chatter of the kids just after they defeated Zurg and beat grandma's score. We recently spent the day at the Magic Kingdom and we all saw Philharmagic together for the first time...my FIL never took his eyes off of my 2 year old. I have seen people fake injuries at the airport at the Southwest terminal in order to preboard....I've also seen people stop using their crutches as soon as they exited the plane....that was back in the day when anyone with children got to preboard and 80% of the plane was preboard to Orlando.
As far as I'm aware the size of parties able to stay with a wheelchair user is limited in parade show areas to four people - but I have seen that "rule" not fully followed. Though once a family abused it by sticking granny in the wheelchair at the back of the party with a bunch of kids in front and then have the nerve to accuse me of blocking granny's view.

I don't think you will have a problem with Buzz. You will have waited in the same queue and everyone can then board at the exit gate at the same time.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
tigger248 said:
How long ago was that? Just curious, cause they've always let my whole family (4 people) stay together to watch the show. The only exception was once, when we walked up fairly close to start time and there simply wasn't room. The cast member was wonderful and found room for my brother and me while my parents watched from farther back and outside the area. We had no objections, it wouldn't have been fair to the people who got there early.

I have seen wc parties get separated watching Fantasmic. In fact, we get split up at many shows, there just aren't enough seats in the wc sections. Just another one of the ways we have to suffer because of something we had no control over, that just happened from birth.

I may have been witnessing late arrivals.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

A brilliant list :sohappy: but I should point out one area which has either changed since our last visit or CMs are getting strict on

barnum42 said:
Parades – three locations for wheelchair users and up to three party members.

We watched from all three locations in MK during our stay and had no problems with one wheelchair user, two adults and two young teens being allowed into the reserved area AND this was during the Easter fortnight. I guess that if you smile nicely then anything goes :lol:

Upvote 0

barnum42

Original Poster
CAPTAIN HOOK said:
A brilliant list :sohappy: but I should point out one area which has either changed since our last visit or CMs are getting strict on

We watched from all three locations in MK during our stay and had no problems with one wheelchair user, two adults and two young teens being allowed into the reserved area AND this was during the Easter fortnight. I guess that if you smile nicely then anything goes :lol:
I think CMs will use common sense in these situations. One more is not a problem or a couple of kids curled up in front of the wheelchair. :)

Upvote 0

barnum42

Original Poster
Given the number of people posting in another thread about their belief that having a wheelchair is a free pass to the front of the queues I thought I'd give this thread a bump and see if it can inform some people that they are being bitter over nothing :wave:

Upvote 0

bouj

First-Hand Experience One Week Ago

I was at WDW last week. My mom was using a wheelchair (she has cancer and the chemo is exhausting, to say the least). To my recollection, we only outright jumped the line twice: at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and at Star Tours. All the other places we went through the regular line or had to wait. At the Haunted Mansion, as the first poster said about the special queue, we were given a green slip that had a return time that equaled the current wait time. So, effectively, we had to wait to ride it, but we didn't have to wait in line. There was one other place where we got the green return slip, and I can't recall where.

I know my mom hated having to ride around in the wheelchair because she wanted more than anything to experience WDW as we had on all our previous trips. Unfortunately, her strength wouldn't allow it. She still had a lot of fun and we all got to ride everything anyway. We did hear one or two random comments about "being lucky" or ""isn't she special". I decided not to reply, "Yeah, I hope you're 'lucky' enough to get cancer too", because it is the Happiest Place On Earth.

All in all, I think Disney does an outstanding job of accomadating wheelchairs, and the CM's are top-notch friendly and helpful when it comes down to it.

Upvote 0

barnum42

Original Poster
I've never had the green slips! (Sounds like a digestive complaint :lol: ) I guess that's an advantage of my going off-season when all the lines are shorter.

Upvote 0

Noah&Emily'sMom

All I can say is thank you for taking the time to make such an important post. I did want to say that I do not normally require a wheelchair, however on our last trip (a second honeymoon !~) I broke 2 toes in the magic kingdom on the first night. Since there is nothing they can do for broken toes I was supplied with a free (read uncomfortable) wheechair and my DH had to spend the entire week pushing me around. The few rides where we were given treatment went okay but I was able in most cases to hop onto the ride from the chair. They did have to stop Haunted Mansion, as I could not hop fast enough!! Also you did not mention the monorail, they let wheelchair passengers on and off first just like the buses.

almost forgot to mention, one day I got fed up with the chair and tried to walk around MGM, half hour in the park and I was in so much pain I couldn't even take another step. We mentioned to a CM what happened and he had them bring a wheelchair directly to us in the park so my DH didn't have to go all the way back to the main gates.

Upvote 0

barnum42

Original Poster
Noah&Emily'sMom said:
Also you did not mention the monorail, they let wheelchair passengers on and off first just like the buses.
Glad you liked the thread :wave:

When I was last there with Mother - May 04 there was no preferential treatment on the monorails. We waited in the the same queue as everyone else to get on.

When off loading all doors open at the same time, no waiting for wheelchairs. Most of the time the CMs got the ramp there PDQ, but a couple of times I had to improvise.

Upvote 0

signerdreams

Thank-you for this great info! I recently posted questions in regards to traveling with someone in a wheelchair. Thankfully someone posted a link to this post.

My mom and I are going in the end of may. After reading this thread i am even more excited to go!

Thank-u all

Upvote 0

wsapooh

I am a travel agent and this subject is one I have been asked about numerous times. I have copies of the "Guidebook for Guests With Disabilities" for each theme park. It lists each attraction and its disability access. Almost all of them say "Enter through standard queue".

Thanks, Barnum, for taking the time and effort to make this thread and educate us all. :wave:

FYI - The "Guidebook for Guests With Disabilities" is available at Guest Services at each theme park.

Upvote 0

angelfaerie52

Since the thread is bumped... I went early last May and ended up injuring my feet. They were swollen so much that they didn't even fit in my sneakers!! My boyfriend had to push me in a wheelchair if we wanted to enjoy the second half of our trip.. We didn't get bumped except in the rides mentioned. However, on Big Thunder Mountain, the CM rolled her eyes at us... there was a long line... I felt bad, but I was in a lot of pain.

And I was given a "pass" at Space Mountain once (when there was a 30 minute wait), but not when there was a 10 minute wait. Maybe this policy switches depending on wait times? I liked getting the pass - on some rides I prefered getting a fast pass, too. It made me feel less guilty.

My feet have been rather messed up for the past year. My doctor has told me to do light walking to strengthen them, but I'm scared the same thing will happen again when I go back with my BF in May. I'm grateful I've been able to do WDW on foot, but I'm also glad that if you just get a minor injury, you can sit down and have a good time!

Upvote 0

barnum42

Original Poster
signerdreams said:
Thank-you for this great info! I recently posted questions in regards to traveling with someone in a wheelchair. Thankfully someone posted a link to this post.
I think that was me :wave:

signerdreams said:
My mom and I are going in the end of may. After reading this thread i am even more excited to go!

Fantastic :wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom