Deadliest Catch Season 9

Darth Tater

I love Deadliest Catch, but lately, I've been hooked (no pun intended) on River Monsters. Not only is that show entertaining, but it makes me want to never step foot in any body of water again.

swrtrr

I'll preface this by saying I missed the last 5 minutes of the show because my DVR clipped it.

Why do you say they aren't going to be a partnership? Did something really important happen in that last 5 minutes to change things? They seemed to be working very well together the whole show.

Sig was on some huge numbers to start, yowza.

Junior was pulling in some good pots and when Kieth saw him dropping the pots back in the same place, he called him and Junior told Keith he wasn't getting anything. Keith was watching it all on computer. Keith made the comment that Junior wasn't interested in a partnership, he was just in it for Junior. All this after Keith put him on the crabs. I like Junior, but I thought this was pretty sorry.

Uncle Remus

Junior was pulling in some good pots and when Kieth saw him dropping the pots back in the same place, he called him and Junior told Keith he wasn't getting anything. Keith was watching it all on computer. Keith made the comment that Junior wasn't interested in a partnership, he was just in it for Junior. All this after Keith put him on the crabs. I like Junior, but I thought this was pretty sorry.

Yep. Junior made a straight up Elliot type move. Super shady. I was disappointed in Junior for sure

sweetpee_1993

I know it was dirty......but I'm not a Kiethfan either.
Absolutely this. Keith is too much of a b*tch for me. If Junior was gonna stick it to someone, I have to say I like his choice. Ultimately, tho, I found what Junior did to be very disappointing. I thought he had better ethics and standards than that. If he keeps the underhanded BS up he's sure to earn his legend status he's after. Legendary schmuck or other unDisney stereotypes I can't say on a PG website. ;)

sweetpee_1993

I read that last night. Nothing shocking but it felt like they were trying to make it sensational. Found it interesting that the Harris boys have bought the remaining share of the boat from Cornelia (apparently?). I guess with a book rolling out a good bit of the funds could've come from that. That was a huge morsel. I hope what Josh mentioned about Jake getting himself straight is true. That'd be great.

I'll be honest, this is the first season we've not obsessed over watching every episode on Tuesday night the first time it airs. Hubby says he's losing interest, thinks it's all edited for the drama-drama now rather than focusing on the task at hand which is the fishing. I kinda agree. Back in the day more emphasis was on the fishing/catching, the dangers of the job, etc. and less on the captains/crew interacting between vessels. There's something different in the dynamic now that's lost on us. Does anyone else pick up on this??? It's very strange to me considering we've obsessed over this show for sooooo many years.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I read that last night. Nothing shocking but it felt like they were trying to make it sensational. Found it interesting that the Harris boys have bought the remaining share of the boat from Cornelia (apparently?). I guess with a book rolling out a good bit of the funds could've come from that. That was a huge morsel. I hope what Josh mentioned about Jake getting himself straight is true. That'd be great.

I'll be honest, this is the first season we've not obsessed over watching every episode on Tuesday night the first time it airs. Hubby says he's losing interest, thinks it's all edited for the drama-drama now rather than focusing on the task at hand which is the fishing. I kinda agree. Back in the day more emphasis was on the fishing/catching, the dangers of the job, etc. and less on the captains/crew interacting between vessels. There's something different in the dynamic now that's lost on us. Does anyone else pick up on this??? It's very strange to me considering we've obsessed over this show for sooooo many years.
This is true of every reality show. People act out more because they know they are being filmed and producers and editors are more than happy to cut and paste drama into the most mundane conversation between two people. The drama is what sells any show. The average TV viewer is only going to watch people fish and get hurt for so long.

SAV

Honestly, the big change happened when it went from the Go and get as much as you can as quick as you can to the Quota system. The entire focus shifted from the crab to the boats and how they fill them. While they all want to finish quickly, the same incentive isn't there. They are guaranteed the money, so they just need to go and get it. They can strategize for the longer haul instead of the panic of catch it all NOW mentality that used to be the focus of the show. That longer season makes for more drama to happen and be filmed.

sweetpee_1993

This is true of every reality show. People act out more because they know they are being filmed and producers and editors are more than happy to cut and paste drama into the most mundane conversation between two people. The drama is what sells any show. The average TV viewer is only going to watch people fish and get hurt for so long.

Admittedly the drama game is the majority of the forced plot of every reality show in this day and age but there once was a time when it wasn't virtually the entire premis of a show. Deadliest Catch definitely started out being about the job, more documentary than reality drama. That's what we loved about it. Hubby is a die-hard fisherman, loves all types of fishing with his whole heart. We've always been on the geek-side of things, tho. When we were dating and first married we'd gladly watch wildlife or historical event documentaries over the popular sit-coms or latest movies. If the documentary type stuff about the job is what made the show popular, why did they need to change it? Ugh, nevermind. They changed it to make it appealing to the masses. Definitely have a new respect for the captains/vessels who bowed-out in past years because the drama wasn't worth it for them. The show is quickly becoming the exact same way for us: the drama isn't worth the time.

Reality tv itself has evolved in a lot of ways. Even with shows like MTV's 'The Real World', what that show is now is such a huge departure from what it's roots are. That show was totally ground-breaking in it's inception. It started out being more or less about the cast and their interactions which one could easily argue is "all about the drama". But it felt more documentary, too, because it sought to explore diverse young adults as their minds opened and managed unfamiliar people & places. It was about the dynamic in an intelligent way. Tracey & I were talking about it just the other day. It was Season 7: Seattle in '98 the first time I remember seeing a cast member place a hand on another cast member in a violent act (when Stephen slapped Irene in the face when she was in the taxi to leave). If I recall, he was kicked off the show for that because it was unacceptable behavior. Contrast that with now when it's like the producers are choosing their cast and creating situations to incite violent outbursts or sexual trists between cast members. Good grief, is it pathetic or what? Any amount of intelligence that was ever in that show is loooooong gone. The thing I find most sad is that this is what the tv execs/producers/etc. thinks they have to put out there to earn viewership. It sells young people of today way too short. That's so sad.

Honestly, the big change happened when it went from the Go and get as much as you can as quick as you can to the Quota system. The entire focus shifted from the crab to the boats and how they fill them. While they all want to finish quickly, the same incentive isn't there. They are guaranteed the money, so they just need to go and get it. They can strategize for the longer haul instead of the panic of catch it all NOW mentality that used to be the focus of the show. That longer season makes for more drama to happen and be filmed.

True. It was way more exciting before the quota. But even after the quota came into play they put a lot of emphasis on how the fleet adapted to the changes. It was interesting to see in more detail how the ops went down, how the captains "found" the crab, etc. For a time a lot of focus was on the captains and the way their fishing roots drove them. It was about their lives as a whole. Even the season when Phil passed, although it sometimes seemed like a lot of bs exploitation, it documented the end of a fisherman's life which really lent a lot of perspective into a part of their lives not previously seen by the viewers/fans. There was still an important fisherman's tale to tell. Now it's almost like the fishing is an aside to the story, the story is now the drama game with the captains & crew. We might as well be watching any number of shows: Survivor, The Amazing Race, etc. etc. Dumbing-down of an otherwise intelligent show. Killing what made it it's own entity. That's where we lose interest. I guess it was bound to happen at some point. But still, kinda makes me sad.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Actually there is still a huge incentive to finish quickly. While the captains know they can only catch a certain amount, every second they are out there costs them money. The sooner they can get their quota and get off the water, the more they make.

SAV

Agreed Yoda, that's why I said it isn't the "same" incentive it was during the pre-quota days. It's now not every man for himself, it's every man for whomever will help them get their quota and get off the water the quickest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom