DDP - tips

crxbrett

Original Poster
I haven't been to The World in so long that I forgot how the DDP works. Or it's possible things have changed since I last visited.

How do tips work while using it? I thought I added tips to my credit card last time. Obviously cash works, too. Can you leave tips using the Magicband or charging it to the room if I have my card linked?

DisneyPrincess5

You can also use a Disney Visa rewards card or gift card to leave tips.

Definitely read up about the DDP now because some things have changed. You can swap some options now from what I believe. I haven't used it in a long time so I don't know for certain!

crxbrett

Original Poster
You can also use a Disney Visa rewards card or gift card to leave tips.

Definitely read up about the DDP now because some things have changed. You can swap some options now from what I believe. I haven't used it in a long time so I don't know for certain!

Those are both good ideas. A gift card just for tips is brilliant! Thanks!

DisneyPrincess5

BTW, love your avatar. I wish Disney had left the old atrium waterfall and rocks alone.
Thanks! Ugh I know. I miss it so much. Thankfully I have a ton of photos of it.
Apparently it was all rotted and molded and it had to be torn down. The lobby just doesn't feel the same without it. But make no mistake, I'm still mesmerized by that beautiful resort!

crxbrett

Original Poster
Thanks! Ugh I know. I miss it so much. Thankfully I have a ton of photos of it.
Apparently it was all rotted and molded and it had to be torn down. The lobby just doesn't feel the same without it. But make no mistake, I'm still mesmerized by that beautiful resort!

Yeah, me too! I always took photos of it every time I went! Do you remember when they used to have the cockatoos and macaws perched above in little birdhouses near the rocks? I remember being bummed when they took them out. I haven't been since the waterfall rocks have been removed so I am preparing myself to be sad and let down by it not being inside there anymore. :cry:
I think the sound is going to be what I miss most. The new one doesn't seem like it will make the same rushing water noises like the original did.

Does the GCH still have that smell though? I will be really sad if that is gone. LOL That may have been the mold from the old one making the musty smell. What I don;t get was if it was moldy and rotted, why didn't Disney just replace it with one just as nice? Maybe one day they will bring it back.

DisneyPrincess5

Yeah, me too! I always took photos of it every time I went! Do you remember when they used to have the cockatoos and macaws perched above in little birdhouses near the rocks? I remember being bummed when they took them out. I haven't been since the waterfall rocks have been removed so I am preparing myself to be sad and let down by it not being inside there anymore. :cry:
I think the sound is going to be what I miss most. The new one doesn't seem like it will make the same rushing water noises like the original did.

Does the GCH still have that smell though? I will be really sad if that is gone. LOL That may have been the mold from the old one making the musty smell. What I don;t get was if it was moldy and rotted, why didn't Disney just replace it with one just as nice? Maybe one day they will bring it back.
I don't remember little bird houses! I'll have to research photos of that. Yeah it definitely feels weird without it. It's still beautiful though. And to me, it does still have that smell. The toxins must be embedded in the whole place :hilarious: To my understanding, they say Disney didn't rebuilt it because they wanted a more open floor plan. It would've been kinda cool if they photographed it and hung the photo somewhere in the GCH.

crxbrett

Original Poster
I don't remember little bird houses! I'll have to research photos of that. Yeah it definitely feels weird without it. It's still beautiful though. And to me, it does still have that smell. The toxins must be embedded in the whole place :hilarious: To my understanding, they say Disney didn't rebuilt it because they wanted a more open floor plan. It would've been kinda cool if they photographed it and hung the photo somewhere in the GCH.

Poppycock I say (to Disney of course)! The lobby was perfectly fine before. lol They went to the extreme end I think and made the new rock formation waterfall too small though. Woohooo! for having that smell! Ahhhh, I can't wait! Yeah, the birds were there from about 1986 to maybe 1994, 1995ish. I know I have video from my '93 trip and they were definitely still there.

crxbrett

Original Poster

Hey! I found a video that has the birds in it! Go to about 8:30. The cockatoo birdhouse can be seen on the right at 9:00 in, but it looks like the bird was inside the birdhouse at the time.

Watching this video made me a little sad. Not only because the beautiful waterfall and rocks are all gone, but because people who have never been will never be able to witness or experience how breathtaking and amazing that atrium truly was. A shame Disney removed it.

-

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

Just be sure, OP, if you book one of the rare TS meals where the tip is already INCLUDED (e.g., Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue, Cinderella's Royal Table), that you don't double-tip! We went to CRT for dinner one night -- a party of 6 -- and while I was in the restroom, the bill came. My aunt, who thought she was doing something nice, and because the receipt included the usual "write tip here" line with the percentages pre-calculated, went ahead and paid a tip -- an additional $80 (a fortune for this generous aunt, who lives frugally on a fixed income) on top of a bill that was already nearly $400 and included the tip !!! There was no way for my aunt to know this -- the receipt didn't clearly indicate that a gratuity had already been pre-paid, and our server "neglected" to mention it when she presented the bill, or when she scanned my aunt's MagicBand to claim her giant "bonus" tip. (I don't think this server's conduct is necessarily the norm: we've never had a server present us the bill at Hoop-Dee-Doo without reminding us that the gratuity was already paid.) By the time I found out a couple of days later, there was nothing I could do about it, but the memory of it still stings.

Last edited:

DisneyPrincess5

Hey! I found a video that has the birds in it! Go to about 8:30. The cockatoo birdhouse can be seen on the right at 9:00 in, but it looks like the bird was inside the birdhouse at the time.

Watching this video made me a little sad. Not only because the beautiful waterfall and rocks are all gone, but because people who have never been will never be able to witness or experience how breathtaking and amazing that atrium truly was. A shame Disney removed it.

-

Whoooooa!! Thank you!
I hear you...makes me sad too. At least we always have YouTube.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom