DCA's Marvel Land Opening Delayed - July 18th Opening Date Cancelled

TP2000

Original Poster
"The Disneyland website that once proclaimed Avengers Campus would be “opening July 18” now says the new Marvel themed land is “coming soon.”

D

Deleted member 107043

"The Disneyland website that once proclaimed Avengers Campus would be “opening July 18” now says the new Marvel themed land is “coming soon.”

tenor (2).gif

SuddenStorm

Like last year's "lucrative" Galaxy's Edge opening summer!

I have far far more faith in this project for a variety of reasons- at worst it'll be better than Bugs Land. At best it will be a defining land for the park that will help give DCA more of a presence in the themed entertainment industry and help it start to stand on its own beyond the 1-2 hour appetizer for Disneyland it currently is.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
I have far far more faith in this project for a variety of reasons- at worst it'll be better than Bugs Land. At best it will be a defining land for the park that will help give DCA more of a presence in the themed entertainment industry and help it start to stand on its own beyond the 1-2 hour appetizer for Disneyland it currently is.

I've spent many a full days at DCA. I would never consider it a 1-2 hour appetizer.

mickEblu

I think it will be somewhere in between both. Better than Bugs Land (although that’s a mixed bag- it ll have Less charm than Bugs Land and be less cohesive with its surrounding area but it will be more fun and have more stuff for all ages.) But I don’t think it will be a park defining land. I just don’t see it being better or more park defining than Grizzly Peak, Cars Land or even Pixar Pier. The icon of the park is the pier/ fun wheel. Soarin/, Grizzly Peak houses the resorts signature hotel, is like the soul of the park and kind of like its thesis attraction/ land - well at least it was - that may be debatable now with all the changes. And Cars Land is the parks main draw IMO and it contains RSR which will probably always be the parks signature attraction even if Avengers is really good. Even though it’s not my personal fave, a really good simulator can’t beat RSR and the optics/ sense of place that mountain range brings. So I think it will be the parks 4th best land overall when you consider everything- rides, charm, kinetics, atmosphere, etc.

SuddenStorm

I've spent many a full days at DCA. I would never consider it a 1-2 hour appetizer.

Different strokes, I guess. The two full days I've spent at DCA were largely uneventful- dare I say boring after the 6 or 7 consecutive hour in the park.

Contrast that with a day at Disneyland where you can spend 15 consecutive hours and be thoroughly entertained every second of it.

mickEblu

Different strokes, I guess. The two full days I've spent at DCA were largely uneventful- dare I say boring after the 6 or 7 consecutive hour in the park.

Contrast that with a day at Disneyland where you can spend 15 consecutive hours and be thoroughly entertained every second of it.

DCA is like the In-N-Out fries to the In-N-Out burger. Not great but they work if you just use them as a side for the burger. So going to DCA for the day would be like waiting in a long drive thru line for ONLY In-N-Out fries with no burger.

SuddenStorm

I think it will be somewhere in between both. Better than Bugs Land (although that’s a mixed bag- it ll have Less charm than Bugs Land and be less cohesive with its surrounding area but it will be more fun and have more stuff for all ages.) But I don’t think it will be a park defining land. I just don’t see it being better or more park defining than Grizzly Peak, Cars Land or even Pixar Pier. The icon of the park is the pier/ fun wheel. Soarin/, Grizzly Peak houses the resorts signature hotel, is like the soul of the park and kind of like its thesis attraction/ land - well at least it was - that may be debatable now with all the changes. And Cars Land is the parks main draw IMO and it contains RSR which will probably always be the parks signature attraction even if Avengers is really good. Even though it’s not my personal fave, a really good simulator can’t beat RSR and the optics/ sense of place that mountain range brings. So I think it will be the parks 4th best land overall when you consider everything- rides, charm, kinetics, atmosphere, etc.

I can't wait until the land opens and we can dissect it and determine it's place in the park- everything I've seen makes me think it'll be a far better themed land than Pixar Pier, which looks good on a postcard but is a frankly laughable attempt at themed design.

This is all contingent on the E ticket getting built- which may never happen. But as it stands it looks like the food and Spiderman ride will far outdo Heimlich's Chew Chew Train.

mickEblu

I can't wait until the land opens and we can dissect it and determine it's place in the park- everything I've seen makes me think it'll be a far better themed land than Pixar Pier, which looks good on a postcard but is a frankly laughable attempt at themed design.

This is all contingent on the E ticket getting built- which may never happen. But as it stands it looks like the food and Spiderman ride will far outdo Heimlich's Chew Chew Train.j

Right, without Avengers it doesn’t have a shot in hell of being a park defining land. I agree on the terrible Pixar overlay. Yet I do believe the pier/ fun wheel is the icon of the park and that just the kinetics and vista it provides will probably make it more important / relevant to the park than what I’ve seen for Marvel Land.

RobWDW1971

Right, without Avengers it doesn’t have a shot in hell of being a park defining land. I agree on the terrible Pixar overlay. Yet I do believe the pier/ fun wheel is the icon of the park and that just the kinetics and vista it provides will probably make it more important / relevant to the park than what I’ve seen for Marvel Land.
Frankly, I can't remember a land opening at any Disney park that has less enthusiasm and anticipation for it than this. The design aesthetic of a downtown LA industrial zone is not helping ignite our imaginations and excitement.

mickEblu

Frankly, I can't remember a land opening at any Disney park that has less enthusiasm and anticipation for it than this. The design aesthetic of a downtown LA industrial zone is not helping ignite our imaginations and excitement.

Yeah visually it’s not my cup of tea at all. I had much more enthusiasm for GE. Which is why I think I’ll enjoy Marvel Land more as my expectations aren’t nearly as high. Although I’m not sure that’s saying much. Its easier to enjoy Bugs Lands replacement than it is to justify GE in Disneyland, especially in its current state.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Yeah visually it’s not my cup of tea at all. I had much more enthusiasm for GE. Which is why I think I’ll enjoy Marvel Land more as my expectations aren’t nearly as high. Although I’m not sure that’s saying much. Its easier to enjoy Bugs Lands replacement than it is to justify GE in Disneyland.

I had zero hope for Galaxy's Edge, but I'm for more optimistic for this project. Which goes against my typical 'the only thing Disney can do right is these days is a sign' shtick I've had for the last year or so :cool:

SuddenStorm

I imagine quite a bit of this has to do with lousy concept art, lousy marketing, and so little information. Not to mention coming off the heels of what was promised to be the greatest themed land ever.

It doesn't seem like Disney's trying to give this one its all- it's a far more conservative project that's looking to have a decent family friendly attraction, some solid entertainment, great merchandise, and some fun food. If it meets those expectations I think the land will have hit its target.

mickEblu

I had zero hope for Galaxy's Edge, but I'm for more optimistic for this project. Which goes against my typical 'the only thing Disney can do right is these days is a sign' shtick I've had for the last year or so :cool:

What a sign it is though!

really? No hope for GE before we saw walkthroughs etc? I had my questions and knew Falcon was going to be bad but I thought the land was going to be impressive (which of course it is in some ways)- basing it off concept art and all the rumors.

MarvelCharacterNerd

As the other resident DCA/Avengers Land cheerleader, I'll throw in a *sadface* for the delay, though of course it's understandable. And for me, there's really no rush now for it to open as soon as the parks do, since my priority was to enjoy it as a home to Marvel character meet & greets first and foremost. And since I wouldn't be surprised if the parks initially reopen without a lot of their entertainment and meet & greets for safety reasons, I don't need to rush to hang out there even if the Spider-Man ride - which I AM looking forward to - opens first.

So if it doesn't open until Halloween Time, for example, but by then the parks have figured out how to safely provide entertainment options and character meets - that's better than opening sooner without them.

fctiger

Disappointing but not surprising obviously. We're not even sure if the park itself will be open then lol.

BUT assuming they can open it sometime in June (and assuming constructions starts again at that time) do people think it's feasible to be ready by September?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom