Day at the Magic Kingdom Tracked on GPS

cooleo

This is Very Cool. Thanks for sharing that. Regardless of accuracy, it is cool to see how far you walked on that day. :cool:

Dukeblue1016

Wow... that is beyond cool...

I don't know how GPS watches work... but can you like click to turn it on then click to turn it off... almost like a stopwatch?

my point being... if every single step you took in disney world you could track... and stop it for rides/buses all that... I'd just be interested to see at the end of a week's vacation... how many miles you actually walked...

Sadiebird

Original Poster
Wow... that is beyond cool...

I don't know how GPS watches work... but can you like click to turn it on then click to turn it off... almost like a stopwatch?

my point being... if every single step you took in disney world you could track... and stop it for rides/buses all that... I'd just be interested to see at the end of a week's vacation... how many miles you actually walked...

Yes, you can do that. But we thought it would be fun to see the rides too. We could manually edit the file and remove all the rides to find out how far we actually walked. Maybe I can talk my DH into doing that. :)

In the end it said we went 15.6 miles. I'd estimate that if we subtracted the rides we walked about 12 or 13 miles that day.

Incidentally, my DH uses this watch to track his running and he usually runs several miles on each morning of our trips to WDW. Could you imagine running 3 or 4 miles each morning on top of all that walking! I prefer to sleep in. :)

automagic

Yes, you can do that. But we thought it would be fun to see the rides too. We could manually edit the file and remove all the rides to find out how far we actually walked. Maybe I can talk my DH into doing that. :)

In the end it said we went 15.6 miles. I'd estimate that if we subtracted the rides we walked about 12 or 13 miles that day.

:)

It can definitely be done but other corrections will have to be made to get an accurate walking distance. I just want to let people know that the GPS units can grossly overestimate distance traveled because of the error stuff I mentioned earlier before. Most people think that the GPS is giving them a 100% accurate position when indeed there is often 5 to 10 meters error for every point/coordinate it logs. The problem is that this can inflate the distance the GPS says you travel.

For example, let's say you place your GPS in track mode to record a point every minute and stay in one spot without moving. The first latitude/longitude point that gets calculated/recorded will likely have a higher error of let's say 5 meters off from the true position. Then a minute later the GPS records a more accurate latitude/longitude that is within 3 meters. Although you the GPS didn't physically move, it can show up in the track log that you moved about 2 meters. Multiply that over 1 hour and you have almost 120 meters of error of distance that was never physically traveled. Unfortunately, that's the nature of the beast and I'm using very conservative error estimates. The only way around this is to get a survey grade or RTK GPS system that can get centimeter accuracy. I have an example of this situation when I was sitting in the EPCOT monorail station and my GPS units recorded points all around the station even though my GPS was staying still (see image below). It was literally off-track :brick:

Incidentally, this is why some car GPS systems have problems locating the street the car should be on if there are two streets that are close together, especially if the car is not moving or has just started. If there is higher error in the GPS' coordinate of say 20 meters, it has a hard time figuring out which road to put you on if there are multiple roads within a 20 meter radius of the GPS. People can still get turned around and/or lost with a car GPS ;)

So in addition to removing the actual rides themselves from the GPS tracks, I would probably remove any areas where you were indoors or waiting in line somewhere in order to get a better estimate of true travel distance. I guess you really can't ignore accuracy as someone mentioned earlier and this is especially important if you are using this GPS to calculate walking/running distances :wave:

epcot_gps.jpg

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It's still pretty amazing!

I find it a little odd though that it can track the monorails route through Epcot, but as you walked by the Odyssey it has you swimming! :lol:

automagic

It's still pretty amazing!

I find it a little odd though that it can track the monorails route through Epcot, but as you walked by the Odyssey it has you swimming! :lol:

LOL! That's what happens when the Odyssey blocks the GPS' view of some of the satellites and it miscalculates my position. Ok ok...so maybe I did swim in the lake :lookaroun:hurl:

Dukeblue1016

Incidentally, my DH uses this watch to track his running and he usually runs several miles on each morning of our trips to WDW. Could you imagine running 3 or 4 miles each morning on top of all that walking! I prefer to sleep in. :)

oh yeah no i definitely agree with the cool to see the rides thing... i especially liked space mountain... i think it's wicked cool...

sorry if that came out wrong... :eek:

I just meant on top of that...

and your husband is a hero for running 3-4 miles in the morning!!!

I'm doing the half marathon this year... i can only imagine walking around the parks after that!!!! :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom