Day after Christmas through New Years!

SoupBone

I'm pretty excited about planning a trip for my family from Dec. 26-Jan. 3. We have 4 adults and 3 kids (ages 12, 7, and 6 at the time of the trip). My wife and I are taking my nephew (the 6 year old) and it will be his first time going so we want this to be a special trip. The 12 and 7 year old have been only once to WDW but have been to Disneyland Paris several times (they live in Germany).

I posted in another thread asking a few questions and I received some great advice but I want to ask some more questions. I'm trying to book a place to stay on Disney property that overloads the senses so that my nephew gets that crazy feeling as soon as we get on property (I know you guys know the feeling). I have some money saved so far with another 6 months left to go and while I'm going all out I want to make sure I don't break my bank account either.

So here are my questions for organizations sake:

1. What resort would you recommend that will "shock and awe" but not kill my bank account?

I've considered the suites at All Star but I'm not sure 7 can fit without renting two rooms (we aren't opposed to that either).

2. My BIL is in the military and I know we can get discounts but there seems to be some roadblock with getting a dining plan. I'm not sure of the specifics but Shades of Green told my sister that we could not book a dining plan through them and had little additional info. I've already started booking meal reservations for the days we'll be there. Suggestions?

3. For New Years Eve what park should we go to? I've been for many other Holidays but never New Years so I have no clue.

4. What order would you suggest for parks? I was thinking MK first since my nephew has never been followed by Epcot, AK, DHS a day off at our resort (maybe DTD), then Epcot, and finally finishing it with MK.

I'm open to all suggestions so thanks in advance! :)

RiversideBunny

First, you probably know already that the time between Christmas Day and New Year's Day is one of the most crowded at WDW.

For a resort a good place, particularly at Christmas, would be the Wilderness Lodge. Just a standard room(s) would do. That may not be in your budget, however.
For Value resorts, Pop Century is good. There are also the family suites at All Star Music.

Magic Kingdom should definitely be the first park to visit, even if for just a few hours on arrival day.

Good luck.
:xmas::xmas:

Upvote 0

SoupBone

Original Poster
First, you probably know already that the time between Christmas Day and New Year's Day is one of the most crowded at WDW.

For a resort a good place, particularly at Christmas, would be the Wilderness Lodge. Just a standard room(s) would do. That may not be in your budget, however.
For Value resorts, Pop Century is good. There are also the family suites at All Star Music.

Magic Kingdom should definitely be the first park to visit, even if for just a few hours on arrival day.

Good luck.
:xmas::xmas:

Sure do. We went for Christmas 2008 and it was crowded but that's why I'm scheduling us several days.

I think our first day (after driving all day) will be just relaxing and having dinner at Wilderness Lodge (Whispering Canyon). We just got back a few days ago from a quick 4th trip and it's a great place to eat. Any suggestions for New Years Eve? Thanks! :)

Upvote 0

timeman

I would recommend Epcot for New Year's Eve. It is crowded, but you will have more elbow room then at the Magic Kingdom. The fireworks at Epcot for the New Year are something to see. The great thing is that you can go to the Magic Kingdom the night before and see the New Year's Eve fireworks there as they usually test them out the night before and then go to see Epcot's on New Year's Eve.

The week between Christmas & New Year's Day is busy, but in my opinion when I went during that week in 2008 it was no busier then what I was used to during the first week of August. New Year's Eve on the other hand is crazy busy and you will want to get there at park opening to make sure you can get some fast passes as they will go early and the wait times for the major rides can reach up to 5 hours by that afternoon. I was able to get fast passes to Soarin', Test Track and Mission Space in the first half hour I was there, because they had cast members at the Fast Pass machines asking you how many fast passes you needed and handing them to you, so you didn't have to use your pass in the machine. This allowed me to get three fast passes without that wait time limit.

Upvote 0

Cubs Brian

The family suites at All Star will sleep 8 people I believe. And yes you will have sensory overload there especially in the Movies sec. but I don't know if that's where the family suites are at.Pop is a tad bit more subdued. All the other resorts have great theming, but not necessarily something that would make a 6yr old scream Disney.
Make sure you arrive early and have a great time, BTW what you're doing for your nephew is awesome I'm sure he'll remember it and you forever.:xmas:

Upvote 0

mousefan1972

Occupancy in a Family Suite at ASMusic is 6 plus a child under age 3. So the OP's group exceeds that. Depending on budget, I would vote for 2 rooms at Pop Century or 2 rooms at POFQ.

To answer your question regarding Shades of Green: you can not get the Disney dining plan when staying there. It is not a Disney owned and operated resort. Disney had been offering 40% off resort rates to military members, but that ends on September 30th.

MK will be insanely croweded. Since you will be a resort guest, take advantage of early morning Magic hours. Last year for Xmas week-New Years, MK opened for resort guests at 7 am and to the public at 8 am. You can get a lot done in the early hours, before the masses wake up.

Have fun and hope you have a great trip!

Upvote 0

SoupBone

Original Poster
I would recommend Epcot for New Year's Eve. It is crowded, but you will have more elbow room then at the Magic Kingdom. The fireworks at Epcot for the New Year are something to see. The great thing is that you can go to the Magic Kingdom the night before and see the New Year's Eve fireworks there as they usually test them out the night before and then go to see Epcot's on New Year's Eve.

The week between Christmas & New Year's Day is busy, but in my opinion when I went during that week in 2008 it was no busier then what I was used to during the first week of August. New Year's Eve on the other hand is crazy busy and you will want to get there at park opening to make sure you can get some fast passes as they will go early and the wait times for the major rides can reach up to 5 hours by that afternoon. I was able to get fast passes to Soarin', Test Track and Mission Space in the first half hour I was there, because they had cast members at the Fast Pass machines asking you how many fast passes you needed and handing them to you, so you didn't have to use your pass in the machine. This allowed me to get three fast passes without that wait time limit.

The good thing about the lines is that we are going to have 6 park days so we will do MK, Epcot, AK, DHS, and then Epcot for New Years and the last day will be MK. That gives us two go rounds with MK and Epcot. Even if we catch only the Christmas fireworks at Mk I think the kids will still love it. Thanks!

The family suites at All Star will sleep 8 people I believe. And yes you will have sensory overload there especially in the Movies sec. but I don't know if that's where the family suites are at.Pop is a tad bit more subdued. All the other resorts have great theming, but not necessarily something that would make a 6yr old scream Disney.
Make sure you arrive early and have a great time, BTW what you're doing for your nephew is awesome I'm sure he'll remember it and you forever.:xmas:

I'm wondering if the family suites really sleep 8. When I try to book it it only allows for 6. I want to make sure we can all get EMH's for sure. I really believe that not only will All Stars be better for a kids senses but will not kill my pocket book. If the suite does fit 8 then I'm set but online it won't allow you to book beyond 6 people. Thanks! :)

Upvote 0

SoupBone

Original Poster
Occupancy in a Family Suite at ASMusic is 6 plus a child under age 3. So the OP's group exceeds that. Depending on budget, I would vote for 2 rooms at Pop Century or 2 rooms at POFQ.

To answer your question regarding Shades of Green: you can not get the Disney dining plan when staying there. It is not a Disney owned and operated resort. Disney had been offering 40% off resort rates to military members, but that ends on September 30th.

MK will be insanely croweded. Since you will be a resort guest, take advantage of early morning Magic hours. Last year for Xmas week-New Years, MK opened for resort guests at 7 am and to the public at 8 am. You can get a lot done in the early hours, before the masses wake up.

Thanks! The Shades of Green rep said we can get overflow discounts for All Stars since SoG is booked up during our dates. I guess since the booking would be through them we still can't get the dining plan. Is the dining plan available for anyone else (like Annual Pass holders)?

Ultimately we may just have to weight booking All Stars so that we can take advantage of the dining plan. I'd have to make sure the cost saving is there though. We would like a sit down once a day for the 6 days of park attendance. ;)

Upvote 0

lighteningqueen

Ditto on the 6 ONLY. You can sleep 2 adults in the bedroom 2 maybe on the couch and one each on the chair twin and the ottoman twin. It would be cheaper to get two rooms. BUT All Star Music and POP will wow him. really it is so Disney themed in their outdoor decor. the others are more like luxury looking resorts with not so much Disney screaming at you. and the kids can go into the arcade at either of these two and have some fun.

Wish i was going this year.....have a great time...

Upvote 0

lighteningqueen

You will save so much more staying at either f those places plus being on the dining plan. with that many going. It is costly and that way they can eat what they want.

Upvote 0

mousefan1972

Thanks! The Shades of Green rep said we can get overflow discounts for All Stars since SoG is booked up during our dates. I guess since the booking would be through them we still can't get the dining plan. Is the dining plan available for anyone else (like Annual Pass holders)?

Ultimately we may just have to weight booking All Stars so that we can take advantage of the dining plan. I'd have to make sure the cost saving is there though. We would like a sit down once a day for the 6 days of park attendance. ;)

Overflow rates booked by Shades of Green can't have the DDP added, unfortunately.

Passholders can get the dining plan without having to buy park tickets. Or you could just book a MYW package, including tickets and dining plan.

Your best bet would most likely be 2 rooms at a value resort, MYW package with the basic DDP. (1 TS, 1 CS, and 1 snack per person)

Upvote 0

SoupBone

Original Poster
Overflow rates booked by Shades of Green can't have the DDP added, unfortunately.

Passholders can get the dining plan without having to buy park tickets. Or you could just book a MYW package, including tickets and dining plan.

Your best bet would most likely be 2 rooms at a value resort, MYW package with the basic DDP. (1 TS, 1 CS, and 1 snack per person)

I think that's what we might do. It sounds like the cheapest option with still allowing my nephew to have a great time. I would have just booked a house off site but I really want his first time to be special. Since he'll be almost 7 when we go I know this is a trip he'll never forget. When I went for the first time I was 6 and I remember just about everything. :)

Upvote 0

Cubs Brian

Sorry I was thinking it was 2 connecting rooms, forgot that they reconfigured the 2nd room.

Upvote 0

mousefan1972

I think that's what we might do. It sounds like the cheapest option with still allowing my nephew to have a great time. I would have just booked a house off site but I really want his first time to be special. Since he'll be almost 7 when we go I know this is a trip he'll never forget. When I went for the first time I was 6 and I remember just about everything. :)

You are doing a really great thing for your nephew. I hope he (and all of you) has the time of his life!

Sorry I was thinking it was 2 connecting rooms, forgot that they reconfigured the 2nd room.

No need to apologize. :wave:

Upvote 0

SoupBone

Original Poster
You are doing a really great thing for your nephew. I hope he (and all of you) has the time of his life!

No need to apologize. :wave:

Well my wife and I have no kids and my nieces and nephew are our lives. I know Disney during Christmas is hectic and crowded but when I went in 2008 I absolutely fell in love with this time of the year.

The theming is insane and people are even more friendlier than usual at Disney (which I thought wasn't possible.

I'm gonna call tomorrow and see what deals are available during this time though I know since it's usually very busy they don't offer to many. Thanks! :)

Upvote 0

mousefan1972

Well my wife and I have no kids and my nieces and nephew are our lives. I know Disney during Christmas is hectic and crowded but when I went in 2008 I absolutely fell in love with this time of the year.

The theming is insane and people are even more friendlier than usual at Disney (which I thought wasn't possible.

I'm gonna call tomorrow and see what deals are available during this time though I know since it's usually very busy they don't offer to many. Thanks! :)

It is definitely hectic, but so magical! We'll be there Dec. 18-27. This will be our 4th consecutive year spending Christmas in Disney. Let us know how you make out tomorrow when you call to book! :D

Upvote 0

UberPlannerMom

Everyone has brought up music and pop but I loved the theming at all star movies... it is totally disney animation! The 6 year old will LOVE it! And yeah, I think everyone is right that you should go with the two connecting rooms. Otherwise, with your numbers, you will be stuck getting villas and such!

As for what park to go to, don't forget to check the EMH schedule to help you decide. And, while I have no experience with it, I have seen many people swear by touringplans.com so you might want to look there for the traditional crowd levels per day.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

dazzle_em55

We have gone to WDW three times for New Years and love everything about it. We miss a year and were bored staying at home. We spend New Years Eve at the MK. We get there when the park opens (I think it was at 7:00am last year so we left our resort around 6:15 but were the first ones through the gates) and can ride many of the major rides before the crowds come in. You have to remember to be patient and that it's going to be very crowded. The day can be truly magical if just take your time and enjoy the day.

I recommend getting dining reservations in the park that you will be visiting as soon as possible. We were not able to eat at several of our favorite restaurants last year but found a few new one we enjoyed. Depending on what park you visit on New Years Eve, you probably don't want to leave the park because you might not get back in.

When we are in the MK on NYE we find our spot in the hub early 6:30 or 7:00. While that may seem crazy, it fills up fast and there is plenty of things to do. There are stage shows to watch and Spectro goes by twice. We take turns leaving our spot for restroom and food runs but enjoy every minute of it. Prepare to be tiered but have a ton of fun

Upvote 0

Finallyin09

We stayed at AS Music Family suites last October. 5 of us...3 adults and 2 kids. The two bathrooms are a must! Grammy had the "bedroom" husband and I on the sofa sleeper (if we did it again...kids only) and the chair and ottoman fold out to 2 twins..It was really nice for the money. Get a preferred room to be closer to main building. You are so lucky to go at Christmas. If my career wasn't in retail, it would be my first choice! Have fun

Upvote 0

SoupBone

Original Poster
Everyone has brought up music and pop but I loved the theming at all star movies... it is totally disney animation! The 6 year old will LOVE it! And yeah, I think everyone is right that you should go with the two connecting rooms. Otherwise, with your numbers, you will be stuck getting villas and such!

As for what park to go to, don't forget to check the EMH schedule to help you decide. And, while I have no experience with it, I have seen many people swear by touringplans.com so you might want to look there for the traditional crowd levels per day.

Have fun!

Thanks for reminding me about EMH's. I keep talking about us planning to stay on property so that we can utilize it but I didn't even check the schedule. What stinks is that our first day (12/27) which was supposed to be MK only has EMH for the morning and I LOVE the MK when it has evening EMH's. The lights in the MK at night are just insane.

I had planned 12/27-MK, 12/28-Epcot, 12/29-AK, 12/30-Resort/DTD, 12/31-Epcot, 01/01-DHS, 01/02-MK.

With the EMH list that wouldn't make any sense although I wanted my nephews first experience beside the hotel to be the MK. For the 27th AK has EMH's in the evening but honestly AK is still a 3/4 day park at best so evening hours don't really appeal to me.

For the 28th Epcot has evening EMH's so that one works. For the 29th DHS has evening EMH's. Now that I'm thinking about it for kids these age should I plan for early or late EMH's? Personally I LOVE the evening EMH's because of lighting and feel but I'm not sure kids won't get tired at some point. My nephew does not tire easily. He's been in our pool for hours and hours swimming and it hasn't even phased him.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom