David Beckham to star in Disney Ads

brisem

Original Poster
Disney adding Toy Story attraction, starting Leibovitz campaign
By TRAVIS REED
AP
LAKE BUENA VISTA (AP) - Walt Disney theme parks are reviving the old carnival midway concept in a new Toy Story 3D attraction, and using celebrities posing as Disney characters in Annie Leibovitz photos to advertise its new prize campaign, executives said Friday.

The Leibovitz photographs feature soccer player David Beckham as Prince Phillip from "Sleeping Beauty," Scarlett Johansson as Cinderella descending the castle steps, and a swirling teacup scene for three: Beyonce as Alice (in Wonderland), Oliver Platt playing the Mad Hatter and Lyle Lovett portraying the March Hare.

Toy Story Mania will open at Orlando's Disney-MGM Studios and Disney's California Adventure in 2008. In it, guests will don 3D glasses and ride eight to a car through different stations featuring new turns on old carnival games. In Disney's rendition, the ring toss and darts will feature characters from Toy Story, and players will toss "virtual" rings, eggs and pies at targets using a toy cannon with a string and lever.

The announcements culminated a three-day press event in which Disney trumpeted its "Year of a Million Dreams" campaign, which awards unsuspecting park guests at random with prizes ranging from sheriff for a day at Frontierland to a night's stay in Cinderella's castle.

The Walt Disney Co. hopes the carnival concept will resonate with parents and older guests, while the video game component will draw in kids. Players will be tracked by computers that automatically raise or lower the difficulty level based on skill.

Tom Fitzgerald, senior creative executive with Walt Disney Imagineering, said the immersive game would even simulate "wind in your face, water spray, maybe even smell.

"I don't know about the eggs," he said.

Leibovitz said her photos, taken in December, were the first in a series featuring additional, to-be-named celebrities. Disney intends to use them in magazine ads for its "Dreams" contest.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press.

RSoxNo1

I heard David Beckham was a little starved for cash, it's nice to see that he'll get some money from these endorsement deals.

brisem

Original Poster
Here's another one:

Soccer king Beckham is now a prince for Disney
AP
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Soccer king David Beckham plays a prince in a new Disney campaign - his first showpiece endorsement since announcing his move to Los Angeles.

Beckham was one of the celebrities photographed last month in the roles of Disney movie characters for a "Year of a Million Dreams" promotion for Walt Disney Co. theme parks.

The international soccer star, marketing giant and fashion icon was photographed as the prince from "Sleeping Beauty," astride a white horse and fighting a fire-breathing dragon.

"There were many Disney characters I liked as a kid," Beckham said in a statement released by Disney on Friday.

"Now my sons love the Disney characters and it's a big part of their lives, a big part of many children's lives around the world. So to be part of that is an honor and very exciting," he said.

The photo, shot at a lake near Madrid by famed photographer Annie Leibovitz, will appear in magazines like Vanity Fair and Vogue in March.

The 31-year-old midfielder with Real Madrid signed a five-year deal on Jan. 11 with Major League Soccer's Los Angeles Galaxy and will join the club this summer. His wife, former Spice Girl Victoria, has been spotted house-hunting in Southern California.

Other photos for the Disney campaign feature singer-actress Beyonce Knowles as Alice in Wonderland and actress Scarlett Johansson as Cinderella, wearing a custom-designed Nicoletta Santoro gown and a 62-carat diamond-and platinum tiara by Harry Winston valued at $325,000.

Liebovitz wanted people who were "globally iconic" and Beckham was "an instinctive choice," Disney spokesman Duncan Wardle said from Orlando, Fla.

The celebrities got to help decide which characters they would portray and Beckham liked the idea of "a hero role," Wardle said.

"David loved the sword and the horse," he added.

"Each of the celebrities had fun dressing up," he said. "Disney allows you to become a child again. ... These guys had permission for the day and I think they thoroughly enjoyed it."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
01/26/07 13:31 EST

maharet97a

The pictures were up on Yahoo a little while ago (in the same space as the ad before the announcement). They're beautifully done. Even if you don't care for the celebs they're still gorgeous photos.

haveyoumetmark

Am I the only person that thinks one of the best things about YOAMD are the ads? This is a great promotion.
I love love love the tv commercials, the park tickets, the billboards, etc.
NOW THIS!!! These photographs are fantastic, they are very "mature" and quite designer. Something you'd see on top model. None the less they are breathtaking, my favorite being the Scarlett as Cinderella one. They said the pictures were just the first of a long series to debut in ads in magazines like Vogue and Vanity fair. I can't wait for more!

The only picture questionable out of the three for me is Beyonce as Alice. Love it, but Beyonce has the weirdest facial expression, as if she's uncomfortable or wants to say something.

Stars Play Out Disney Park Fantasies in New Images

To launch Disney Parks' Year of a Million Dreams celebration, spectacular new images were unveiled today featuring the work of acclaimed photographer Annie Leibovitz, and starring Scarlett Johansson as Cinderella, Beyoncé taking a spin in a giant teacup and David Beckham slaying a dragon.

Leibovitz's images also fulfill one of Beckham's "dreams," as the Disney Parks project is his first endorsement since signing a contract to play professional soccer in the United States.

In addition to the three debut images, Disney Parks has commissioned more images by Leibovitz that will feature other celebrities in classic, Disney fairy tale settings.

Asked by Disney Parks to lend her vision to the campaign, Leibovitz has created inspired images of storybook fantasy come to life. Her photographs for the campaign embody the captivating, narrative style indicative of her world-renowned work.

"I'm really delighted to be part of the 'Where Dreams Come True' campaign," said Leibovitz. "We live in difficult times and I feel, especially as a parent, that keeping dreams alive is one of the most important things we can do."

Each image features a scene with the featured celebrities transformed into the role of a fabled Disney character, expressing their own dreams and imagination.

As Cinderella, Scarlett Johansson is seen running down a flight of stairs as the clock strikes midnight with her glass slipper unknowingly left behind. The tagline reads, "Where every Cinderella story comes true."
Befitting a true princess, Johansson wears a stunning, one-of-a-kind Harry Winston tiara – a dazzling piece in platinum with more than 62 carats of sparkling diamonds and valued at $325,000. The dress worn by Johansson is a custom-made, Cinderella-inspired gown designed by Nicoletta Santoro.

David Beckham plays the part of the gallant Prince Phillip from Sleeping Beauty, atop his trusted steed fighting the evil dragon. The tagline reads, "Where imagination saves the day."
"There were many Disney characters I liked as a kid," said Beckham. "Now my sons love the Disney characters and it's a big part of their lives, a big part of many children's lives around the world. So to be part of that is an honor and very exciting.

"I love going to Disney, I'm like a big kid," he added.

Beyoncé appears as Alice in Wonderland, twirling in a teacup, accompanied by Oliver Platt as the Mad Hatter and Lyle Lovett as the March Hare. The tagline reads, "Where Wonderland is your destiny."

"It's two great imaginations coming together — Disney and Annie Leibovitz," said Lovett. "To be along for the ride really is quite something, just knowing that you're going to be part of a great Disney character. And then when you step into the imagination of Annie Leibovitz, you know you're in another world."

"The 'Where Dreams Come True' campaign is about the imaginations and dreams that are inside us all," said Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. "By capturing these transformational experiences, these emotional images communicate a powerful concept. Working with Annie Leibovitz was a natural fit – Disney is known for immersive storytelling and Annie is a masterful artist whose photos speak volumes."

The campaign premieres as a special insert in the March issues of Vanity Fair, GQ, Vogue, W, The New Yorker, Condé Nast Traveler and Cookie.

As part of the "Where Dreams Come True" initiative, Disney Parks introduced the Year of a Million Dreams (Oct. 1, 2006-Dec. 31, 2007). During this 15-month, first-of-its-kind celebration, more than one million very special dreams are being granted to guests visiting Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort. The celebration also is highlighted by the debut of innovative Disney attractions and entertainment spectaculars at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World resorts.

For more information about Disney Parks, the Year of a Million Dreams and "Where Dreams Come True," guests may visit www.mydisneyparks.com

dumboflyer

Even though he did the photo shoot while still in Europe, I love it that Becks' first promo in the US is for Disney! Maybe this is a tie-in to start having MLS Cup champion parades at Disney parks...:lookaroun

musicman52086

I think it's an absolute genius ad campaign. I really really like the Scarlett Johannsson picture, perhaps it's my undying love for her, but they're all phenomenal.

What a great idea!

Chickapin Chick

Also - does anyone know what the music is on that site? I love it.

I second this question, Disneyprep. I wish I could help you. I thought it might be from the recent version of Peter Pan (where the theme music to the "Year of a Million Dreams" commercials comes from). If anyone knows, please don't hesitate to speak up. I would love to have this music on my iPod.

Like everyone else, I think these are absolutely stunning advertisements. I haven't been to Walt Disney World since 2002, and while I have always wanted to revisit, I haven't been truly motivated to go until now. I know, there are no special anniversaries this year; no special birthdays. Just a "year of a million dreams." But these ads have an elegance that I find very captivating, kind of like an adult magic. Also, I love Disneyland as much as the next girl, but I am thrilled they chose to put what looks like the Disneyland Paris version of Sleeping Beauty castle behind David Beckham. Very pretty. And David isn't so bad, either. After years of loving the 2-D form of Prince Phillip, I finally get to love the real thing!

The Beyonce photo is creepy. Tyra would SO be sending her home if this were America's Next Top Model.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom