Dave Filoni Rumored to Oversee ‘Star Wars’ Live-Action “Connected Universe” on Disney+

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Kennedy's contract extension was announced in Fall 2018 - that was after The Last Jedi was released and Solo vastly underperformed. If there was ever a time to just let her "fade into the sunset" by not renewing her contract, that would have been a prime time to do so. If it was just about keeping her through Episode IX, they could have only extended her through the end of 2019 or somesuch.

I don't particularly care for Kennedy anyway and don't give a crap if she gets fired. I'm just saying that people who seem to think that she is hated or distrusted by Disney leadership don't have any evidence to support it. I mean we had a whole thread on here about how Iger was supposedly infuriated by the leak about Leslye Headland helming a Star Wars project and yet here we are with Kennedy still running Lucasfilm and The Acolyte was officially announced.

(And the reality is that even if they just part ways later this year, it won't really prove things one way or the other. She'll be 68 in October, wouldn't exactly be a crazy age for someone to "retire".)

We'll see. But they have at least two Star Wars films, plus Indiana Jones, plus Children of Blood and Bone in active development in terms of movies. And six new Star Wars shows (not counting Rangers which seems to not be happening) plus a Willow show. And of course The Mandalorian and Batch Batch already out. I'm not sure how "little" would have to be produced to support your point, but that seems like a decent amount of projects even though it is clear they cut back on their feature films for SW.

I'll agree though that some of the announced stuff won't happen, but I'm not sure that's all that different from any other studios these days. A lot of stuff is announced in development and doesn't stick.

one clarification:

Kennedy’s option was never announced as being picked up by Disney. It never happened. She exercised her option and it was leaked to a reporter at the Hollywood reporter who “covers” Spielberg.

if it waddles And quacks...you know?

she is currently a lame duck. But that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t cut her a new deal this year. Really depends on slappy and al horn and Bergman and whatever they’re thinking coming out of covid?

I’d guess odds are like 40/60% on that?

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

one clarification:

Kennedy’s option was never announced as being picked up by Disney. It never happened. She exercised her option and it was leaked to a reporter at the Hollywood reporter who “covers” Spielberg.

if it waddles And quacks...you know?

she is currently a lame duck. But that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t cut her a new deal this year. Really depends on slappy and al horn and Bergman and whatever they’re thinking coming out of covid?

I’d guess odds are like 40/60% on that?
Wrong. she is still very much in charge.

erasure fan1

We'll see. But they have at least two Star Wars films, plus Indiana Jones, plus Children of Blood and Bone in active development in terms of movies. And six new Star Wars shows (not counting Rangers which seems to not be happening) plus a Willow show. And of course The Mandalorian and Batch Batch already out. I'm not sure how "little" would have to be produced to support your point, but that seems like a decent amount of projects even though it is clear they cut back on their feature films for SW.

I'll agree though that some of the announced stuff won't happen, but I'm not sure that's all that different from any other studios these days. A lot of stuff is announced in development and doesn't stick.
They have announced 2 star wars movies but not really. There is one official movie, rogue squadron. Everything else is just, hey, someone's working on a star wars movie. We are nearly 2yrs past rise of skywalker and what is the direction with star wars? The direction is D+ shows? I've said before that no one really knows what Disney is thinking when it comes to star wars and Kennedy. But in my opinion, this is not the position Disney wanted for star wars at this point in time. I do remember the thread about Iger being infuriated with Kennedy. I also remember all signs pointing to them not being able to find anyone willing to take over.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom