Dave Filoni Rumored to Oversee ‘Star Wars’ Live-Action “Connected Universe” on Disney+

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Isn’t everything already connected within the Star Wars universe? Am I missing something?
Its connected in name only, and primarily only with the movies.

What they hope to replicate is the MCU format. To have an overarching story thread throughout the entire cinematic universe across all mediums.

With the MCU previously it was only the TV side that didn't execute, only having a tangential connection to the MCU. And that was due to internal battles between Feige and Loeb who was heading up Marvel TV. Which is now no longer an issue with Loeb gone and Feige having creative control over all of Marvel. So now with all Marvel TV moving to D+ it will all be tied back to the MCU directly reconnecting Marvel TV back to the MCU. We see this with WandaVison leading to the events of Doctor Strange 2, and so on.

So Filoni and team hope to do all this as well with their "SWCU", have all the TV shows connected through a larger story arc. Which will hopefully lead into better SW movies in the future with them also being connected to the TV shows. Something that hardcore fans have been wanting.

champdisney

Its connected in name only, and primarily only with the movies.

What they hope to replicate is the MCU format. To have an overarching story thread throughout the entire cinematic universe across all mediums.

With the MCU previously it was only the TV side that didn't execute, only having a tangential connection to the MCU. And that was due to internal battles between Feige and Loeb who was heading up Marvel TV. Which is now no longer an issue with Loeb gone and Feige having creative control over all of Marvel. So now with all Marvel TV moving to D+ it will all be tied back to the MCU directly reconnecting Marvel TV back to the MCU. We see this with WandaVison leading to the events of Doctor Strange 2, and so on.

So Filoni and team hope to do all this as well with their "SWCU", have all the TV shows connected through a larger story arc. Which will hopefully lead into better SW movies in the future with them also being connected to the TV shows. Something that hardcore fans have been wanting.
I don’t know. George Lucas did a pretty neat job making everything connect in the films, even in other forms of media he oversaw. Disney are the ones solely to blame with all the misdirection that has occurred within the franchise. The Mandalorian is the first step of making things right again for Star Wars. I can thank Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, their entire team of real passionate Star Wars fans and of course, the maker himself, George Lucas.

Because of the success of The Mandalorian, Disney is starting to ‘get it’ or so it seems.

Wendy Pleakley

I don’t know. George Lucas did a pretty neat job making everything connect in the films, even in other forms of media he oversaw. Disney are the ones solely to blame with all the misdirection that has occurred within the franchise. The Mandalorian is the first step of making things right again for Star Wars. I can thank Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, their entire team of real passionate Star Wars fans and of course, the maker himself, George Lucas.

Because of the success of The Mandalorian, Disney is starting to ‘get it’ or so it seems.

The films are of course connected because they told an ongoing story. This sounds more like the MCU approach, where the different series work as standalone series, but characters can cross over and they could have a story thread (like the infinity stones) that culminates in a big event series or movie.

champdisney

The films are of course connected because they told an ongoing story. This sounds more like the MCU approach, where the different series work as standalone series, but characters can cross over and they could have a story thread (like the infinity stones) that culminates in a big event series or movie.
Still, this is something Disney should have done all along especially with their ongoing over saturation of the brand. This isn’t something to applaud.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

This is more than just the films. Its TV shows, books, comics, etc. Its just starting with the TV shows under Filoni but Disney/Lucas wants to do this across all mediums. Lucasfilms was doing disjointed stories long before Disney ever bought them. This is about making all those individual stories all tell a larger narrative just like the MCU.

Also Lucas himself made a set of 3 films that were suppose to be connected, but weren't well received by fans either. So even Lucas himself is not flawless.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

Who oversaw the Start Wars Christmas Special?

champdisney

This is more than just the films. Its TV shows, books, comics, etc. Its just starting with the TV shows under Filoni but Disney/Lucas wants to do this across all mediums. Lucasfilms was doing disjointed stories long before Disney ever bought them. This is about making all those individual stories all tell a larger narrative just like the MCU.

Also Lucas himself made a set of 3 films that were suppose to be connected, but weren't well received by fans either. So even Lucas himself is not flawless.
Right. Lucasfilm did have separate anthologies/series happening at once, the difference is they mastered the art of doing that. Whereas today’s story group members at Lucasfilm can’t seem to figure out how that’s done which is why I believe this is Disney depending on Filoni to get this ‘brand new idea’ of a shared universe started off the ground.

Is it a good thing that Filoni is involved? Yes. However, I’m not going to pretend that this is something new.
Just because the Prequels weren’t up to some people’s levels of expectations does not mean those films aren’t connected to the Originals. Lucas had the vision and he executed.

A George Lucas clone that failed George Lucas.

Wendy Pleakley

Still, this is something Disney should have done all along especially with their ongoing over saturation of the brand. This isn’t something to applaud.

I don't know that anyone is "applauding" this, other than acknowledging that emulating the MCU approach is a logical approach (but I will note that the MCU is a unique achievement, and many have tried and failed to emulate it's success).

It's easy to say they should have done this in hindsight, but before the MCU this interconnected universe approach wasn't really the norm. It's just as logical that they followed the approach of the original Star Wars trilogy, with a series of films not connected to anything beyond them, specifically.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Right. Lucasfilm did have separate anthologies/series happening at once, the difference is they mastered the art of doing that. Whereas today’s story group members at Lucasfilm can’t seem to figure out how that’s done which is why I believe this is Disney depending on Filoni to get this ‘brand new idea’ of a shared universe started off the ground.

Is it a good thing that Filoni is involved? Yes. However, I’m not going to pretend that this is something new.
I think you keep missing the point. This isn't about just a "shared universe". The entire Star War franchise is a "shared universe". This is about one show leading into the next show and so on through a single overarching story thread while still telling individual stories. So maybe it not new, but its something that really wasn't the norm in Star Wars outside of the films.

Just because the Prequels weren’t up to some people’s levels of expectations does not mean those films aren’t connected to the Originals. Lucas had the vision and he executed.
The point is the Lucas himself has failed the fans in the past too. So its not like we should hold him up as being flawless. And the fact that the Prequels were connected to the originals wasn't the point of me saying that. The Sequels that Disney/Lucas did was all connected to the originals also, but they were flawed and not up to fans expectations either, just like Lucas and the Prequels.

champdisney

I don't know that anyone is "applauding" this, other than acknowledging that emulating the MCU approach is a logical approach (but I will note that the MCU is a unique achievement, and many have tried and failed to emulate it's success).

It's easy to say they should have done this in hindsight, but before the MCU this interconnected universe approach wasn't really the norm. It's just as logical that they followed the approach of the original Star Wars trilogy, with a series of films not connected to anything beyond them, specifically.
That’s understandable. I just can’t deny the vast difference between the MCU and Star Wars Universe. The MCU is more grounded, it’s suppose to feel like it’s happening in the real world and in real time. In each film or television series, there’s a different vibe and only when circumstances arise that’s when you see the likes of whatever superhero jump in to help defeat the common enemy. I agree, it was a huge gamble to experiment on this shared cinematic venture and it has succeeded in tremendous ways that other studios have since tried and continue to replicate but can’t seem to get it working.

With Star Wars, I believe that franchise as a whole already has a particular atmospheric touch to it, doesn’t matter if it’s connected to whatever story that has come before it, you already know it goes hand in hand with everything in that universe. By way of the Force...

And a little side note. I’m not claiming anyone on here to be applauding this news, I’m referring directly to Disney themselves for having this belief system that everytime they release a tiny tidbit of information such as this, they expect everyone to go crazy through social media and whatnot. I have learned to hold in any excitement regarding anything Star Wars related since TLJ. I had little expectations going in before The Mandalorian was released and I was pleasantly surprised. Hopefully this does not disappoint.

erasure fan1

As someone who is always hoping for good star wars content, this sounds great. But as long as Kennedy is in charge of Lucasfilm, I have my reservations on any star wars project. What I would like to see is they put the triple F in charge of star wars. Feige, Favreau and Filoni. Then announce the connected universe so I can really get excited.

Screamface

I'd love to know what is true about the rumoured internal power struggles at Lucasfilm. Where this could factor in.

Maybe splitting Filoni and Favreau to TV. Kennedy, if she's staying around, will stick to film?

Is there any word on if they are ramping the Mandalorian production technology up a notch to increase the scale? It's amazing, but it does seem particularly suited to small scale stories.

I just hope they don't oversaturate us. Potentially just have one or two ongoing shows, with the rest being single-season shows that combine into an event series after a couple of years. Of course with lots of cross over amongst the shows.

I also hope the rumour of this post-ROTJ universe ignoring the sequels turns out to be true.

5thGenTexan

Same people that thought this was a good idea. (yes, I had the album when I was a kid) :)

1593704376334.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom