DAUGHTER LOVES GIRAFFES

I agree, definitely spend a lot of time at the Animal Kingdom and do the Safari for sure. My families favorite resort is the AKL and to look out into the Savannah is wonderful. She would absolute love that.

Scoppin

Original Poster
Not sure you would be interested but Busch Gardens has a Safari tour you can book for $30 a person where you get to pet and feed giraffe. You go out for about an hour or so in an open air vehicle and explore their safari area which is pretty similar to Disney's area. Then while out, you stop and feed the giraffe for about 15 - 20 minutes. We've done it twice before, and it was a big hit both times. We ended up with 2 or 3 giraffe coming right up to the vehicle both times. They gave everyone quite a few pieces of lettuce each and made sure everyone got a turn to feed. They also have a professional photographer there taking pics which you can buy later if you want. You are also free to take your own pictures as well. We've done the $5 zoo thing before, and there is just no comparison to the experience you get on the tour. The minimum age for the tour is 5.

I have taken your advice and booked a small one day vacation in Tampa the day before arriving at WDW. I know they will both enjoy the side trip to Busch Gardens, with her being the most thrilled. It will also work as a diversion to the main reason for the secret trip.

Thank you

nighttowll

I have taken your advice and booked a small one day vacation in Tampa the day before arriving at WDW. I know they will both enjoy the side trip to Busch Gardens, with her being the most thrilled. It will also work as a diversion to the main reason for the secret trip.

Thank you

Glad I could help. I hope you guys have a great time. My family really enjoys Busch Gardens, especially the animal component.

Does your daughter like other animals besides giraffe? There are quite a few really nice zoo like animal exhibits at Busch Gardens. There is an exhibit where you can feed kangaroos. I think it is about $3 for a cup of food. One time we did it, and there was a baby jumping in and out of his mother's pouch, so adorable. You don't have to buy the food to go in the exhibit; you can just walk through the exhibit for free. There is also an exhibit where you can feed birds. There is an animal care center where you can watch veterinary procedures. We watched a bird get his wing operated on one time. Also, when we've gone in the past, the elephants have participated in a sort of obstacle course you could watch. I'm sure there are probably other activities I don't know about as well. You should have plenty of time to explore after the safari.

If you have time, Iceploration is a very good animal / conservation themed show. I highly recommend it. You've got ice skating, 3D effects, 4D effects, aerial acrobats, elaborate costumes and puppets, and song and dance routines. It is very entertaining and great for rainy or hot afternoons as it is an inside show where you get to sit and rest for awhile in the air conditioning.

Some other things the kids liked at Busch Gardens, the climbing jungle gym and small drop ride hidden back in that section. The water rides, the train, the skyride, the Cheetah Coaster and the Montu coaster.

I'm sure you'll have a great time. Hope your surprise and the safari go well.

Good luck.

Scoppin

Original Poster
Glad I could help. I hope you guys have a great time. My family really enjoys Busch Gardens, especially the animal component.

Does your daughter like other animals besides giraffe? There are quite a few really nice zoo like animal exhibits at Busch Gardens. There is an exhibit where you can feed kangaroos. I think it is about $3 for a cup of food. One time we did it, and there was a baby jumping in and out of his mother's pouch, so adorable. You don't have to buy the food to go in the exhibit; you can just walk through the exhibit for free. There is also an exhibit where you can feed birds. There is an animal care center where you can watch veterinary procedures. We watched a bird get his wing operated on one time. Also, when we've gone in the past, the elephants have participated in a sort of obstacle course you could watch. I'm sure there are probably other activities I don't know about as well. You should have plenty of time to explore after the safari.

If you have time, Iceploration is a very good animal / conservation themed show. I highly recommend it. You've got ice skating, 3D effects, 4D effects, aerial acrobats, elaborate costumes and puppets, and song and dance routines. It is very entertaining and great for rainy or hot afternoons as it is an inside show where you get to sit and rest for awhile in the air conditioning.

Some other things the kids liked at Busch Gardens, the climbing jungle gym and small drop ride hidden back in that section. The water rides, the train, the skyride, the Cheetah Coaster and the Montu coaster.

Good luck.

Yes, they both love animals. I have taken a look at some of the other things they offer. We are not big on the 'thrill' rides but there are a few things there to keep us busy. I noticed something like a zip line. Sure I son would be right on that, will have to see about my daughter as a little afraid of heights. But I am sure we will take advantage of as many of the animal attractions as possible.

I am sure once we enter Florida, they will ask me if we are going to WDW and I can safely and honestly tell them no. I'll just leave out the no not right now part.

Scoppin

Original Poster

Good luck.

I have a question I am hoping you may be able to help me with. We are checking into the Tampa hotel on the 14, which is very close to Busch Gardens. And planning on going to Busch Gardens on the 15th. This is the same day we are suppose to check into our hotel, All Star Sports, at WDW and we have an ADR at the Rainforest Cafe, Animal Kingdom for 7:15 pm.

I don't want to be rushed at Busch Gardens but wondering how long it would take to experience the majority, if not all, the children attractions taking into consideration we will not be partaking in any of the 'thrill' rides. I do understand it takes about an hour to drive to Orlando. However, I don't want to leave it to late considering any unplanned traffic delays. I was thinking of maybe leaving Tampa around 3:00 pm. Would this be enough time to enjoy Busch Gardens?

I also don't want to have dinner any later as planning on an early day for the 16th.

nighttowll

I have a question I am hoping you may be able to help me with. We are checking into the Tampa hotel on the 14, which is very close to Busch Gardens. And planning on going to Busch Gardens on the 15th. This is the same day we are suppose to check into our hotel, All Star Sports, at WDW and we have an ADR at the Rainforest Cafe, Animal Kingdom for 7:15 pm.

I don't want to be rushed at Busch Gardens but wondering how long it would take to experience the majority, if not all, the children attractions taking into consideration we will not be partaking in any of the 'thrill' rides. I do understand it takes about an hour to drive to Orlando. However, I don't want to leave it to late considering any unplanned traffic delays. I was thinking of maybe leaving Tampa around 3:00 pm. Would this be enough time to enjoy Busch Gardens?

I also don't want to have dinner any later as planning on an early day for the 16th.

I'm not sure. It depends on what all you are planning on doing, how crowded it is, and how many times lightning strikes off the coast and / or rain showers shut down the park. We've gone and been done by 4:00 and gone and stayed all day and not gotten to do hardly anything because of bad weather and crowds.

Off the top of my head, I'd say if you arrive for park opening and leave sometime between 3-4 that would be enough time to do what you want to do as there aren't a ton of non-coaster rides outside of the toddler section. Animal viewing and feeding only take as long as you want them to which really only leaves the water boat rides for waiting in long lines. You should be able to fit the Safari tour, animal viewing / feeding, the train, the sky ride, and the jungle gym play area with its 2 rides in in the time you have. Non of those activities really require waiting in long lines. The ice skating show may be iffy since it only happens a few times a day and might not fit in your schedule. The water rides and the couple other non coaster type rides will also be hit or miss depending on rain and crowds and your personal touring habits, how many breaks you take, how fast you walk, etc.

These are my estimates on time:

1 hr for Safari Tour
1-2 hrs for animal viewing / feeding
1-1.5 hr jungle gym and 2 rides there
2-4 hrs train, sky ride, other non coaster rides, water rides
30-1 hr lunch
30 - 1 hr Ice show at 1:30 or at 3:30

I'd make sure to get there before park opening at 9:30. That would give you 6 hrs if you left at 3:30. I wouldn't leave later than 4 on the off chance you get stuck in traffic. Then I'd make a list of must do and go from there. You may not see everything, but I think you can probably fit in 75% of what you want to see. Just relax and have fun. From what you've said if all your daughter does is see the giraffes, she'll be thrilled. I always try to cram everything in because I figure I'm paying for it, but the kids never seem to mind if we miss something.

Also the sky ride and train ride are good to save for when you need to cross the park but don't want to walk all the way across. I usually try to save them and fit them in my schedule for when we need to go that way anyway. That usually helps save some time.

Good luck

Scoppin

Original Poster
I'm not sure. It depends on what all you are planning on doing, how crowded it is, and how many times lightning strikes off the coast and / or rain showers shut down the park. We've gone and been done by 4:00 and gone and stayed all day and not gotten to do hardly anything because of bad weather and crowds.

Off the top of my head, I'd say if you arrive for park opening and leave sometime between 3-4 that would be enough time to do what you want to do as there aren't a ton of non-coaster rides outside of the toddler section. Animal viewing and feeding only take as long as you want them to which really only leaves the water boat rides for waiting in long lines. You should be able to fit the Safari tour, animal viewing / feeding, the train, the sky ride, and the jungle gym play area with its 2 rides in in the time you have. Non of those activities really require waiting in long lines. The ice skating show may be iffy since it only happens a few times a day and might not fit in your schedule. The water rides and the couple other non coaster type rides will also be hit or miss depending on rain and crowds and your personal touring habits, how many breaks you take, how fast you walk, etc.

These are my estimates on time:

1 hr for Safari Tour
1-2 hrs for animal viewing / feeding
1-1.5 hr jungle gym and 2 rides there
2-4 hrs train, sky ride, other non coaster rides, water rides
30-1 hr lunch
30 - 1 hr Ice show at 1:30 or at 3:30

I'd make sure to get there before park opening at 9:30. That would give you 6 hrs if you left at 3:30. I wouldn't leave later than 4 on the off chance you get stuck in traffic. Then I'd make a list of must do and go from there. You may not see everything, but I think you can probably fit in 75% of what you want to see. Just relax and have fun. From what you've said if all your daughter does is see the giraffes, she'll be thrilled. I always try to cram everything in because I figure I'm paying for it, but the kids never seem to mind if we miss something.

Also the sky ride and train ride are good to save for when you need to cross the park but don't want to walk all the way across. I usually try to save them and fit them in my schedule for when we need to go that way anyway. That usually helps save some time.

Good luck

Thank you for the above.

I understand there are a lot of outside uncontrollable factors/variables out of our control. I am hoping to be there for park opening in order to get as much in as we can. Also have our safari tickets purchased for the 12:00 tour. I didn't want to miss this, especially since it is an extra ticketed item. The kids do really enjoy animals and am certain plenty of time will be taken with the animals, especially if they are able to interact and/or feed them.

I do know this, and you are correct, if the only thing we did there and then left was the safari and she was able to feed the giraffes she would be extremely thrilled. The rest will just be an added bonus.

I will take your advice about leaving the park prior to 4:00 in order to avoid traffic.

Thank you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom