DAUGHTER LOVES GIRAFFES

Scoppin

Original Poster
Taking my 2 children, 8 & 10, for their first and maybe only trip to WDW and they currently have no clue we are going in September. My daughter just loves giraffes. Love may be understating it. I have found out there are giraffes at AK. I even thought of staying at AKL with a view of the savanna, however had to reconsider due to costs. I am just wondering how close she may be able to get to one. I was thinking of going to AK on our first day and trying to speak to someone regarding the possibility at some point during our stay. I really don't have anything to lose by asking. The answer is no at the current time. I know she will love the trip anyway, but this would just blow her away and something she would never forget.

Last edited:

belledream

Definitely take a few rides on the Kilimanjaro Safaris in AK...
Giraffes roam free and are often seen blocking the roads of coming really pretty close to your vehicle!
29098_1199379504387_7494454_n.jpg

10635788_2322386938871_4786005761473280690_n.jpg

You can also visit AKL even if you're not staying there (good restaurants there!). Animals roam around the property and unlike the safari ride, you can sit there are long as you want looking at them. :)

Scoppin

Original Poster
Definitely take a few rides on the Kilimanjaro Safaris in AK...
Giraffes roam free and are often seen blocking the roads of coming really pretty close to your vehicle!
29098_1199379504387_7494454_n.jpg

10635788_2322386938871_4786005761473280690_n.jpg

You can also visit AKL even if you're not staying there (good restaurants there!). Animals roam around the property and unlike the safari ride, you can sit there are long as you want looking at them. :)
I noticed there was a backstage tour they offered. It is a little pricey but the worst was had to be 10 to go. She is only 8. The link had a picture of a child sort of hugging an animal. It was not a giraffe. Believe it was an antelope of some time. This is the reason why I want to ask. See if they have some junior ranger program or something.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Two things for you to do -
At Animal Kingdom - visit Kilimanjaro Safari and have a good camera with a good zoom
Visit Animal Kingdom Lodge - there are many public (no need to be a resort guest) viewing areas where you should be able to see the giraffes throughout the day

kimberlymautz

Not sure about your local zoo, but I know there is a zoo near me (about an hour outside of Philly) that let's you feed and pet giraffes for only about $5.

I don't think Disney does anything like this, but might be something you could find closer to home.

Scoppin

Original Poster
Not sure about your local zoo, but I know there is a zoo near me (about an hour outside of Philly) that let's you feed and pet giraffes for only about $5.

I don't think Disney does anything like this, but might be something you could find closer to home.
Our closest zoo is about 3 hours away. We went the other year on Father's Day as they were suppose to have a number of speakers and feedings, including the giraffes. I was highly disappointed as we didn't see any as there was a schedule for each event. Maybe I need to make a trip down to Philly.

I am going to give it my best shot while at WDW. I have nothing to lose by asking. The answer right now is no.

kimberlymautz

The zoo near here that does it is the Elmwood Park Zoo. Smaller then the Philly zoo, but really cute. They even have zip lining and stuff which the older kids love.

I'd still try for something at Disney. What's the worst that'll happen?

WWWD

I don't know what your time constraints or vacation plans are, but a few years ago we fed giraffe's at Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa. You get very close to them - one of my kids got licked in the face. I would call to make sure this is still available, but I would guess so as I believe more zoos are introducing feeding platforms for giraffes.
http://www.lowryparkzoo.org/animals/giraffe

WWWD

Taking my 2 children, 8 & 10, for their first and maybe only trip to WDW and they currently have no clue we are going in September. My daughter just loves giraffes. Love may be understating it. I have found out there are giraffes at AK. I even thought of saying at AKL with a view of the savanna, however had to reconsider due to costs. I am just wondering how close she may be able to get to one. I was thinking of going to AK on our first day and trying to speak to someone regarding the possibility at some point during our stay. I really don't have anything to lose by asking. The answer is no at the current time. I know she will love the trip anyway, but this would just blow her away and something she would never forget.

Looks like the Central Florida Zoo lets you feed their giraffes.

http://www.centralfloridazoo.org

ScarletBegonias

Within Disney, I think you've got the two options PP's have suggested. We stayed at AKL, and you could see the giraffes, but I never saw any get that close. It's a very expensive resort and you may not get that close to them! I think the Zoo idea is great if you have any extra time.

Scoppin

Original Poster
Within Disney, I think you've got the two options PP's have suggested. We stayed at AKL, and you could see the giraffes, but I never saw any get that close. It's a very expensive resort and you may not get that close to them! I think the Zoo idea is great if you have any extra time.
Yes, when I noticed the savanna view rooms I looked into staying there. But changed my mind when I got the final amount. I couldn't afford the amount. Basically would be vacation poor and would be afraid to spend anything while there. And that would not be enjoyable for me or the kids. this way I can purchase a little extra such as Mickey's Halloween party and let the kids purchase some souvenirs. I won't be as stressed about money. but it would have been an experience being able to see the giraffes from our balcony.

Last edited:

CAPTAIN HOOK

Yes, when I noticed the savanna view rooms I looked into staying there. But changed my mind when I got the final amount. I couldn't afford the amount. Basically would be vacation poor and would be afraid to spend anything while there. And that would be enjoyable for me or the kids. this way I can purchase a little extra such as Mickey's Halloween party and let the kids purchase some souvenirs. I won't as stressed about money. but it would have been an experience being able to see the giraffes from our balcony.
We've stayed at AKL twice. I think I'm right in saying that it is actually the cheapest of the deluxe resorts.
The first trip (10 nights over Xmas/New Year) we paid for a Savannah view room. It was lovely waking up and being able to watch the animals while you're getting ready for the days activities.
Our second AKL stay was last August (14 nights) and we paid for a standard view room yet we were given Savannah view rooms. Now when you work it out, there aren't actually that many standard view rooms at AKL. I'm not saying that this tactic would work every time, perhaps we got lucky, but it's worth considering.

Scoppin

Original Poster
We've stayed at AKL twice. I think I'm right in saying that it is actually the cheapest of the deluxe resorts.
The first trip (10 nights over Xmas/New Year) we paid for a Savannah view room. It was lovely waking up and being able to watch the animals while you're getting ready for the days activities.
Our second AKL stay was last August (14 nights) and we paid for a standard view room yet we were given Savannah view rooms. Now when you work it out, there aren't actually that many standard view rooms at AKL. I'm not saying that this tactic would work every time, perhaps we got lucky, but it's worth considering.
Thank you for the above. I would love to do the AKL, but being a single parent I do have to ensure I am able to provide all the other living necessities. This is a luxury trip. I want to make the best of it but still have to be mindful of all the expenses. We will be staying at All Star Sports and spend two days at AK. We are only there for 7 days.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There are a number of rooms at AKL that have a view of the Savannah, but are classified as a standard rooms because the view is less than ideal.

nighttowll

Not sure you would be interested but Busch Gardens has a Safari tour you can book for $30 a person where you get to pet and feed giraffe. You go out for about an hour or so in an open air vehicle and explore their safari area which is pretty similar to Disney's area. Then while out, you stop and feed the giraffe for about 15 - 20 minutes. We've done it twice before, and it was a big hit both times. We ended up with 2 or 3 giraffe coming right up to the vehicle both times. They gave everyone quite a few pieces of lettuce each and made sure everyone got a turn to feed. They also have a professional photographer there taking pics which you can buy later if you want. You are also free to take your own pictures as well. We've done the $5 zoo thing before, and there is just no comparison to the experience you get on the tour. The minimum age for the tour is 5.

mouse_luv

Here was the view from savannah room we rented from a DVC rental place at Kidani at AKV/AKL in Sept of 2014, it was cheaper to rent there than to go through Disney for any of their hotels (value included for the week), and it did not break the bank. I love giraffes just like your daughter, and I was more than happy there. I posted the link to the photo I posted in a past thread here:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/jambo-vs-kidani.912069/page-4#post-7166834

Scoppin

Original Poster
Not sure you would be interested but Busch Gardens has a Safari tour you can book for $30 a person where you get to pet and feed giraffe. You go out for about an hour or so in an open air vehicle and explore their safari area which is pretty similar to Disney's area. Then while out, you stop and feed the giraffe for about 15 - 20 minutes. We've done it twice before, and it was a big hit both times. We ended up with 2 or 3 giraffe coming right up to the vehicle both times. They gave everyone quite a few pieces of lettuce each and made sure everyone got a turn to feed. They also have a professional photographer there taking pics which you can buy later if you want. You are also free to take your own pictures as well. We've done the $5 zoo thing before, and there is just no comparison to the experience you get on the tour. The minimum age for the tour is 5.
Thank you for the above information. Do you know how long it takes to get to Tampa? We are only at WDW for 7 days and may need all that time to see everything they have now. I am going to AK on the first day and talk to as many people I need to to see if I can make this happen. Maybe adding that Central Florida Zoo and Busch Gardens do this why aren't you, may help. I am going to use just about every angle I can think of. I am sure if I mention they could make even more money on it they would seriously think about it. I know it would just totally freak out, in a good way, my daughter in being able to do it. And she is 8 so would be able to do this tour. She is not old enough to do some of the tours at AK. I did see one, which had behind the scenes photos of someone feeding a giraffe. So, it is possible but I guess you have to have the right amount of money and age. I can't pay $250 US/person in order for this to happen. I can rent a car and go somewhere else.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thank you for the above information. Do you know how long it takes to get to Tampa? We are only at WDW for 7 days and may need all that time to see everything they have now. I am going to AK on the first day and talk to as many people I need to to see if I can make this happen. Maybe adding that Central Florida Zoo and Busch Gardens do this why aren't you, may help. I am going to use just about every angle I can think of. I am sure if I mention they could make even more money on it they would seriously think about it. I know it would just totally freak out, in a good way, my daughter in being able to do it. And she is 8 so would be able to do this tour. She is not old enough to do some of the tours at AK. I did see one, which had behind the scenes photos of someone feeding a giraffe. So, it is possible but I guess you have to have the right amount of money and age. I can't pay $250 US/person in order for this to happen. I can rent a car and go somewhere else.
A little over an hour depending on traffic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom