DashHaber's Imagineering Toybox

DashHaber

Original Poster
Hey, there. So, I thought I might start up a thread of my own. This will be a space where I'll be posting and discussing ideas I have for Disney theme park attractions. Maybe other ideas as well, but Disney will be a definite focus. Sometimes I'll have a concrete idea, and other times I might discuss potential angles for some where I've not quite settled on a concrete idea. I confess I'm probably not as detailed on some of these ideas as other folks are around here, but I do hope that fellow armchair Imagineers will enjoy reading some of my ideas.

And hey, I've found that it also helps sometimes having a focus for an idea, so if you have a subject that you'd like to see me come up with an attraction for or some other focal point, just make your request and I'll try to think something up.

In the meantime, I'll start things off with an idea I had mentioned in another thread.

Wreck-It Ralph: Arcade Clean-Up
(Shooter dark ride)
A whole bunch of computer bugs have gotten loose at Litwak's Arcade, and it's up to rookie Antivirus programs like you to stop them! Armed with Bug Zappers, follow Wreck-It Ralph and Vanellope Von Schweetz as you blast your way through a series of colorful arcade worlds.

So, this is an idea that I have a clearer vision on. The queue and loading area would be set in Game Central Station, as you board vehicles that resemble the trams from the Wreck-It Ralph films. Each vehicle would have Bug Zappers, which resemble old-school light guns. The ride would work through three video game worlds. The first would be Fix-It Felix, Jr., considering the basic design of that game world would work well for something akin to a tutorial stage. Then, you'll pass through Sugar Rush, blasting away at computer bugs (which would somewhat resemble the Cy-Bugs from the first film) while a race is going on. Finally, you'll enter Hero's Duty, moving through its classic first-person shooter world as you confront a "final boss" bug. I'd imagine the final scene then being an award scene like the one with General Hologram in the first film, with Ralph and Vanellope thanking you for your help.

Last edited:

DashHaber

Original Poster
Inside Out: Emotional Support
(Animatronics show)
As EITs (Emotion in Training), you'll take a seat behind a control console alongside five Emotions ready to show you the ropes: Joy, Fear, Anger, Disgust, and Sadness. With these five emotions, you'll follow Riley during a school day and see just what an impact our emotions can possess.

Yes, I fully admit that Cranium Command is a major influence on this idea. I still fondly remember it from the earlier days of Epcot, but when I saw Inside Out when it first hit theaters, it just clicked. The idea of that attraction, of a show were you watch from inside a kid's head and see the inner folks trying to keep them out of trouble, would mesh together really well with this IP. It could make for a good update to an old attraction idea.

DashHaber

Original Poster
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
(Dark ride)
As you hop into your wooden cart, you’ll find yourself in the town of Sleepy Hollow and follow Ichabod Crane on that famous Halloween night. Be careful, however, if you ride into the forest at night: the Headless Horseman is said to be out, and he’ll be looking for a new head!

Obviously we won't be getting any attractions as scary as Alien Encounter anytime soon, but I think there's still room at a Disney park for a ride with some scares. The "Sleepy Hollow" segment from The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad seems like just the thing to provide them. It'd be a dark ride, with the first scene establishing Brom Bones, Ichabod Crane, and their rivalry for Katrina Van Tassel. Then, you would go through the Van Tassel Halloween party, as Brom is telling the story of the Headless Horseman. Then, we would go through the bulk of the ride, centered around that fateful chase. You'd start with the suspenseful build, with the creepy forest noises in the air. And then, The Headless Horseman arrives!

I'd imagine using some tricks like screens and moving set pieces to better push the feeling of speeding through the woods, with the Headless Horseman after you. Maybe even some bursts of wind for a moment or two when he swings his sword at you. I haven't figured out how you would do it, but the big finish of the ride has to be the Horseman hurling that jack o'lantern as you head through the covered bridge.

Last edited:

DashHaber

Original Poster
The Dreamatorium
(3D show)
Welcome to the Dreamatorium, where Dreamfinder is ready to use an inspired invention to show how imagination can become reality! When it hits a few setbacks, however, it invites a shadowy specter to enter among us: Doubt. Will Doubt take control, or can Dreamfinder find that one little spark to light the way?

Like a fair few, it is a little disappointing the current state of Journey into Imagination. Besides just the current state of the ride and how you could do much better in making a ride that shows off the nature and importance of imagination, Figment and Dreamfinder are characters who still possess plenty of punch to them. It says something that of Marvel's Disney Kingdoms imprint, the two best comics were the ones based around Figment and Dreamfinder. In fact, it is the second comic that is a bit of an influence on this attraction idea.

With the figure of Doubt (who'd be a dark, shadowy figure) arriving to threaten Dreamfinder's work and Dreamfinder having to figure out the best course forward, I feel that you could have a fun 3D show with another useful message about imagination: that though you may stumble along the way, sometimes it is in those failures that you can find the spark to light your way forward.

DashHaber

Original Poster
Scrooge McDuck’s Treasure Trek
(Roller coaster)
Hop aboard a mine cart, as you journey into ancient ruins to help Scrooge McDuck on his latest treasure hunt. Unfortunately, his nefarious rival Flintheart Glomgold has arrived to claim the treasure of Dinka Doo for himself, and just might disturb the traps built within!

So, I've been thinking about ideas for attractions based on DuckTales, and some different angles did occur to me. One thing for me is that sense of adventure, the thrill of Scrooge McDuck traveling the globe in search of new treasures to add to his massive fortunes. So, what better way for thrills than with a mine cart roller coaster?

Imagine your mine cart hurtling down the track, passing through numerous traps like blow darts (with air jets for those) and spike walls, as you see Scrooge and Glomgold along the way fighting over this treasure. Maybe there could even be a moment where the track curves upward and Scrooge (or one of his allies) tries to catch you, only for you to go hurtling backwards down a new track.

Last edited:

DashHaber

Original Poster
So, while a lot of the stuff I'll be posting to this thread will be attraction ideas, I do admit I have one idea for a Disney park. Not a full idea, I don't have a full roster of attractions and restaurants and all that stuff, but I do have an idea.

Well, I was trying to think of what could be a theme for a Disney. For instance, AK is all about animals and nature, while DisneySea is all about...well, the sea. I was trying to think of what could be a good uniting element to tie the whole park together, when I was watching a YouTube video of Journey into Imagination. Then, it struck me: why not imagination?

Imagine a Disney park, devoted to the ways that people use their imagination and creativity, bringing guests into worlds that are a dreamscape of creation. Bringing guests not only into fun or thrilling adventures, but maybe even giving them a spark for their own imagination.

I call it...Disney's Worlds of Imagination.

At the very least, I do have some ideas of the sections to it. The park's entrance area is the Dreamport, a place that serves like a sort of binding realm to the many ideas and avenues that spill forth. From there, I was thinking of five areas, each devoted to a particular creative outlet: Art, Literature, Music, Movies, and Science.

Last edited:

DashHaber

Original Poster
DuckTales: Go for the Gold!
(Dark ride)
Life is like a hurricane here in Duckburg, especially when the Beagle Boys try to rob Scrooge McDuck’s Money Bin! Get into Gyro Gearloose’s Auto-Car and take part in a madcap chase across Duckburg, before those blasted Beagle Boys can take a single cent!

Now, this is the other main angle for a DuckTales attraction. This would be a dark ride, leaning more into the hijinx of the DuckTales cartoons. I'd try to capture some of the madcap feel of something like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, as you speed across Duckburg. Obviously, that drive through Duckburg would be a major part, zooming through streets and buildings. That would be a great chance to feature some of the various DuckTales characters, like maybe nearly crashing into Launchpad McQuack's car.

Of course, then you'd have the Money Bin. All sorts of security defenses would be going off, as Scrooge McDuck and the family fight off the Beagle Boys. For the final scene after they've defeated the Beagle Boys, you've got to include Scrooge swimming in his Money Bin.

NigelChanning

So, while a lot of the stuff I'll be posting to this thread will be attraction ideas, I do admit I have one idea for a Disney park. Not a full idea, I don't have a full roster of attractions and restaurants and all that stuff, but I do have an idea.

Well, I was trying to think of what could be a theme for a Disney. For instance, AK is all about animals and nature, while DisneySea is all about...well, the sea. I was trying to think of what could be a good uniting element to tie the whole park together, when I was watching a YouTube video of Journey into Imagination. Then, it struck me: why not imagination?

Imagine a Disney park, devoted to the ways that people use their imagination and creativity, bringing guests into worlds that are a dreamscape of creation. Bringing guests not only into fun or thrilling adventures, but maybe even giving them a spark for their own imagination.

I call it...Disney's Worlds of Imagination.

At the very least, I do have some ideas of the sections to it. The park's entrance area is the Dreamport, a place that serves like a sort of binding realm to the many ideas and avenues that spill forth. From there, I was thinking of five areas, each devoted to a particular creative outlet: Art, Literature, Music, Movies, and Science.
You have some great ideas! This one in particular is my favorite because of the potential! Even though the parks have shifted in theme (Epcot is becoming an IP Park and Hollywood Studios is more about living the movies rather than making them) you have a chance to include the core themes in these lands (science, movies, etc.) You can include Jules Verne inspired rides in the Literature land. I’d personally include a land based on Color. You could have a show like World of Color and make the land visually pleasing with lots of Neon and things like that.

DashHaber

Original Poster
Miguel’s Ride of Remembrance
(Dark ride)
Follow the marigold petals into this mausoleum, for a Carro de la Muerte awaits to bring you to the Land of the Dead! Here, you’ll see plenty of happy spirits coming together to celebrate Dia de los Muertos, as Miguel and his family come together to perform a concert you will always remember.

I fully expect Coco to get a ride at some point, most likely over at Epcot. That said, I don't necessarily think it needs to be a ride that runs through the events of the movie. For me, I could see a dark ride designed more to capture the feel and ambience of the film, starting off with a queue that takes you into a mausoleum during Dia de los Muertos. As you work through your way through, the atmosphere changes steadily and grows more supernatural, as you reach the loading area for your ride vehicle.

Once you're on, you'd pass by a few graves, with some pepper's ghost illusions or holograms to show spirits passing by their graves, as you're still somewhat in the land of the living. A marigold passage, however, brings you fully into the Land the Dead. From there, you would wind your way through the streets as the festivities are going on, with plenty of sights such as alebrijes peering out of alleys and spirits performing in a town square. All of this would lead up to the big final scene: Miguel and Hector on stage, performing "Remember Me".

NigelChanning

Miguel’s Ride of Remembrance
(Dark ride)
Follow the marigold petals into this mausoleum, for a Carro de la Muerte awaits to bring you to the Land of the Dead! Here, you’ll see plenty of happy spirits coming together to celebrate Dia de los Muertos, as Miguel and his family come together to perform a concert you will always remember.

I fully expect Coco to get a ride at some point, most likely over at Epcot. That said, I don't necessarily think it needs to be a ride that runs through the events of the movie. For me, I could see a dark ride designed more to capture the feel and ambience of the film, starting off with a queue that takes you into a mausoleum during Dia de los Muertos. As you work through your way through, the atmosphere changes steadily and grows more supernatural, as you reach the loading area for your ride vehicle.

Once you're on, you'd pass by a few graves, with some pepper's ghost illusions or holograms to show spirits passing by their graves, as you're still somewhat in the land of the living. A marigold passage, however, brings you fully into the Land the Dead. From there, you would wind your way through the streets as the festivities are going on, with plenty of sights such as alebrijes peering out of alleys and spirits performing in a town square. All of this would lead up to the big final scene: Miguel and Hector on stage, performing "Remember Me".
Awesome Concept! Maybe as you wind through the Customs of the Land of the Dead you can see yourself on a screen but as a skeleton!

DashHaber

Original Poster
You have some great ideas! This one in particular is my favorite because of the potential! Even though the parks have shifted in theme (Epcot is becoming an IP Park and Hollywood Studios is more about living the movies rather than making them) you have a chance to include the core themes in these lands (science, movies, etc.) You can include Jules Verne inspired rides in the Literature land. I’d personally include a land based on Color. You could have a show like World of Color and make the land visually pleasing with lots of Neon and things like that.
Thank you very much for your comment.

That core theme feels to me like a strong one to support a whole park, but part of the challenge I've found with it is what I'd call the Epcot problem: balancing the fun with some education. For most of the park, I would personally like some areas to help offer some insight on how things are created, along with all the fun rides. For instance, some walkthroughs or play exhibits that can help tell a bit about that land's theme or offer activities that can spark the imagination. For example, an exhibit about Mary Blair in the Art section that shows the impact of her art with Disney, or perhaps a Muppet Labs play area in the Science section with fun experiments that kids of all ages can try.

That way, there's something a little more grounded to help guide and spark some imagination, to go along with all the fun rides.

Last edited:

DashHaber

Original Poster
How to Make Art…with Goofy!
(Shooter dark ride)
When you have Goofy as your instructor, you’re certain to have a lesson in art that’s anything but ordinary. Hopping in a portable classroom, you’ll make use of paint cannons to bring some color through a new painting technique: the “Splat” method!

When I was thinking of that Worlds of Imagination idea, one of the sections that initially seemed like it might be the hardest to think for was the Art section. What could you do for that? Well, I got a spark of imagination courtesy of Tokyo Disneyland, where they have an attraction called Goofy's Paint 'n' Play House. It's a solid idea, so why not give it some movement as a full ride and not just a standing attraction?

The facade would look like a respectable art academy from outside, though the sign advertising "How to Make Art" has some spilled paint cans next to it and a Goofy-shaped hole in it tease the shenanigans within. You'd work your way through the queue, eventually reaching the ride vehicles. They'd look like a mobile version of a classic school desk, with jar-like paint cannons on them. As you'd ride through, you'd use your paint cannons to interact with the environment, such as sudden new colors on stuff or objects reacting in a silly fashion. All the while, the narrator from the "How to..." shorts talks about the fine varieties of art, even as Goofy is stumbling through his usual slapstick.

Last edited:

NigelChanning

Maybe you could use screen technology so when you shoot a portrait of like Scrooge Mcduck or something it has a mustache on his face or something funny like that. Great Idea!

NigelChanning

Mickey’s Philharmagic (Dark Ride):
This attraction will go in the music section and it’s exterior will be a large concert hall. This follows the same basic story as the show in Magic Kingdom but it’s a trackless dark ride that uses projection-mapping. Multiple new scenes will be added included You’re Welcome from Moana, Let it Go from Frozen, and a few others. The story is that you’re taking a tour of Mickey’s Concert Hall and Donald steals his magic hat. Things spin out of control and your transported to the worlds of famous Disney films to dance along to classic songs. Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions!

DashHaber

Original Poster
Mickey’s Philharmagic (Dark Ride):
This attraction will go in the music section and it’s exterior will be a large concert hall. This follows the same basic story as the show in Magic Kingdom but it’s a trackless dark ride that uses projection-mapping. Multiple new scenes will be added included You’re Welcome from Moana, Let it Go from Frozen, and a few others. The story is that you’re taking a tour of Mickey’s Concert Hall and Donald steals his magic hat. Things spin out of control and your transported to the worlds of famous Disney films to dance along to classic songs. Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions!
It's a fine idea, though I think Philharmagic is fine as a 3D show. In terms of rides related to music, here is one idea of my own:

Fantasia: A Symphonic Voyage
(Log flume)
When Mickey Mouse takes a hold of a magic hat at the concert hall, the hall is filled with more than just the sound of music! From your boat seats, you'll sail through a variety of scenes from the musical classic Fantasia, all set to wondrous music as Mickey tries to set things right and get this free-floating concert back on track.

The overall framing and plot for the ride would be based around The Sorcerer's Apprentice, considering it is the most well-known segment from Fantasia and the one with the easiest story to translate. Micky would get his hands on Yen Sid's hat, as your "boat seats" take you into the music along the flowing waters. I haven't settled on which segments I'd use from Fantasia, or if I'd just stick to the first movie or perhaps feature a scene or two from Fantasia 2000. In either case, I do have one clear mental image for this ride: the build-up to the final big drop would be Night on Bald Mountain, with Chernabog waiting at the top.

NigelChanning

It's a fine idea, though I think Philharmagic is fine as a 3D show. In terms of rides related to music, here is one idea of my own:

Fantasia: A Symphonic Voyage
(Log flume)
When Mickey Mouse takes a hold of a magic hat at the concert hall, the hall is filled with more than just the sound of music! From your boat seats, you'll sail through a variety of scenes from the musical classic Fantasia, all set to wondrous music as Mickey tries to set things right and get this free-floating concert back on track.

The overall framing and plot for the ride would be based around The Sorcerer's Apprentice, considering it is the most well-known segment from Fantasia and the one with the easiest story to translate. Micky would get his hands on Yen Sid's hat, as your "boat seats" take you into the music along the flowing waters. I haven't settled on which segments I'd use from Fantasia, or if I'd just stick to the first movie or perhaps feature a scene or two from Fantasia 2000. In either case, I do have one clear mental image for this ride: the build-up to the final big drop would be Night on Bald Mountain, with Chernabog waiting at the top.
Yeah, it wasn’t meant to be anything ground breaking. I just really enjoy the story and thought it would get more of the attention it deserves of it was a ride. That’s a really good idea!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom