DAS with anxiety disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Club Cooloholic

? Does it work that you don't have to stand in the line for the current estimated wait time, and come back when that is over? If that is the case those who would try to wrongly take advantage(not saying anyone here) are probably not coming out ahead as much as they think, because those wait times tend to be overinflated.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Hi all.
Sorry to ask if already been posted but I couldn’t find anything. Going to WDW on aug 7 for 14 days and wondered about the pre registration for DAS and whether anxiety disorder qualifies for this?

Many thanks 😊

Both PTSD and anxiety disorders are covered by the ADA. Disney's DAS is one way it provides the "reasonable accomodations" required by the ADA. That's all you need to know.

Goofyernmost

Thank you all, having visited the parks over the years and without even knowing the offered DAS until a cast member told me on the last day of my trip last year mid panic attack. I don’t want to be seen as taking advantage etc. I’ve struggled with severe GAD since I was around 14 and recently after having children worsened further. I only struggle on certain attractions so I just avoid them. The medication I take is known to make you more photophobic meaning you can get sun stroke easier and cannot tolerate as long in the sun, in the past this has caused me to faint which isn’t fun at all, it leads to a crowd over you which just aggravates things more. as I will be going august this year I’m aware it’s a much hotter time in Orlando.

I really don’t want to take advantage or be seen as playing the system etc, I’m aware there are people who abuse it etc
Here's the emotional parameter for use of DAS or any other useful tool. If you are honest and not gaming the system, then use whatever thing is available to help you enjoy life. As a different example after reading, over the years about the "hate" spewed out by guests about the use of scooters and how the users were considered fat and lazy or just plain lazy, when I developed a problem that stopped me from being able to walk distances and/or stand for long periods of time without excessive pain, I didn't go there for a number of years.

Finally my sister asked me to go with her and I made a decision. I have a problem that is hidden. I look perfectly healthy, when I get up off the scooter to get on a ride I look like I can walk just fine, and I can for that brief period of time. I'm sure many look at my situation and make judgements that are incorrect. Well, that prevented me from going to my favorite place for about 4 years. I finally decided that I didn't care what others thought. I had no reason to feel guilty or ashamed and more or less mentally told the doubters to pound sand.

I'm so glad I did, because that was in November of 2019 and right after that the plague hit and my previous condition worsened and the cost to go got out of my comfortable reach. I missed out on a few trips that I would have taken if I hadn't been concerned about the thoughts of a bunch of people that I don't know. No one said anything and I believe that most people in WDW are really to busy doing their own thing to even care at all and I had a great time. With a scooter you do not skip lines, you go in the same line as everyone else be it standby or whatever fancy name they use for the new costly line cutter. You are doing everything except feeling pain. I know that is not the same as your problem but I'm sure you can apply the same attitude for your particular situation. If you are honest and know your needs enough to ask for them to be accommodated when possible, than there is no reason to be concerned. Just take the needed action to go and enjoy the place while you can.

Last edited:

correcaminos

Thank you for all your help! I’m definitely hoping to have a good trip for the little ones! My daughter is 3 and so definitely ready to experience and appreciate the magic a bit more this year. Baby is only 6 months but I’m sure he will love it to
3 is such a fun age a Disney! I also took my now 14yo at 5months and it was fun in its own right! Both ages their eyes are wide open taking in all the sights and sounds. Have a fantastic time!

correcaminos

Both PTSD and anxiety disorders are covered by the ADA. Disney's DAS is one way it provides the "reasonable accomodations" required by the ADA. That's all you need to know.
My warning to this is just be prepared to explain what the need is. Like while being physically disabled is covered by ADA, it is not what will get you DAS if your needs are met by a wheelchair/ECV etc. The lines already has reasonable accommodations for that and you will be denied DAS. The process to explain needs is now done every time I go to do it. I'm good at getting to the point now. Just my two issues that causes me to need to have lessened times in the line. Before I talked too much lol

Reminds me - I didn't realize this until I was at Connections. Be sure to tell severs when you have a trigger. Where I was seated was exactly where people needed to walk past and many lingered towering over me triggering an issue of mine. They can seat you in better places if needed. In the Connections case I swapped with my spouse fortunately.

This is the internet. Some people have widely varying experiences, some report second-hand accounts of what others were told, some make things up for whatever reason. As in every case, you just have to read the comments carefully and try to judge the credibility for yourself. Hopefully, people understand how important it is for those who truly need DAS to get it and that abusing the system makes it harder for them.
So very true!

? Does it work that you don't have to stand in the line for the current estimated wait time, and come back when that is over? If that is the case those who would try to wrongly take advantage(not saying anyone here) are probably not coming out ahead as much as they think, because those wait times tend to be overinflated.
Yes, you get a return time pretty equal to what the wait time is. It does mean you can do something else between though. So you could hold a return time, eat lunch and come back later. It helps some but not entirely with skipping. Some LL lines are decently long too but far better than regular standby

Disneyfan_76

This is not true. They've cracked down on DAS use big time lately.
I also would disagree with this. We used the DAS system for the first time this last trip (2 weeks ago), for my son. They asked very little questions. We did the online preregister. The only question we were asks was "You do not need to give any reason or diagnosis, do you feel that your condition would hinder your ability to wait in line?" "yes"..... "Ok, here your go."

LAKid53

Premium Member
I also would disagree with this. We used the DAS system for the first time this last trip (2 weeks ago), for my son. They asked very little questions. We did the online preregister. The only question we were asks was "You do not need to give any reason or diagnosis, do you feel that your condition would hinder your ability to wait in line?" "yes"..... "Ok, here your go."

^^THIS

Under the ADA, employers and businesses are limited in what they can ask.

Asking anything beyond that could potentially violate the ADA.

Like while being physically disabled is covered by ADA, it is not what will get you DAS if your needs are met by a wheelchair/ECV etc. The lines already has reasonable accommodations for that and you will be denied DAS. The process to explain needs is now done every time I go to do it.

Disney doesn't get to determine if your disability will be accommodated solely by the use of a wheelchair/ECV. The ADA requires businesses not discriminate against customers based on disability.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

They usually all me more questions than that but it's not an interrogation or anything.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

I think the argument now with LL and Genie+ is that the mainstream system is so much worse than DAS that it's more lucrative to"game the system". With FP+ you weren't really coming out ahead because FP+ was better for everyone.

I'd be interested to see if there's analytics for DAS numbers to show if there's any uptick in usage percentage, or if it's just a baseless fear that people just keep repeating ad nauseum.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I think the argument now with LL and Genie+ is that the mainstream system is so much worse than DAS that it's more lucrative to"game the system". With FP+ you weren't really coming out ahead because FP+ was better for everyone.

I'd be interested to see if there's analytics for DAS numbers to show if there's any uptick in usage percentage, or if it's just a baseless fear that people just keep repeating ad nauseum.

If I had to gather an educated guess, I'd say the latter

correcaminos

^^THIS

Under the ADA, employers and businesses are limited in what they can ask.

Asking anything beyond that could potentially violate the ADA.

Disney doesn't get to determine if your disability will be accommodated solely by the use of a wheelchair/ECV. The ADA requires businesses not discriminate against customers based on disability.
You're actually incorrect, and yes Disney does. Disney has alternative arrangements on each and every ride depending on your limitations. You are missing that each ride has accomodations for those who are physically disabled. DAS is for those whose disabilities are not met by using a wheel chair or ECV.

Other Considerations

A Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need DAS. Depending on the experience, Guests utilizing a wheelchair or scooter will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction that is comparable to the current standby wait. If you’re a Guest who has mobility questions or concerns, please view Services for Guests with Mobility Disabilities.

ADA does not limit as much as you think. Even ADA allows one to ask a couple questions about service dogs and what they might be trained to do. ADA from their own words says The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities in several areas, including employment, transportation, public accommodations, communications and access to state and local government' programs and services.

So under ADA

Title III (Public Accommodations)​

Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability by Public Accommodations and in Commercial Facilities​

This title prohibits private places of public accommodation from discriminating against individuals with disabilities. Examples of public accommodations include privately-owned, leased or operated facilities like hotels, restaurants, retail merchants, doctor’s offices, golf courses, private schools, day care centers, health clubs, sports stadiums, movie theaters, and so on. This title sets the minimum standards for accessibility for alterations and new construction of facilities. It also requires public accommodations to remove barriers in existing buildings where it is easy to do so without much difficulty or expense. This title directs businesses to make "reasonable modifications" to their usual ways of doing things when serving people with disabilities. It also requires that they take steps necessary to communicate effectively with customers with vision, hearing, and speech disabilities. This title is regulated and enforced by the U.S. Department of Justice

Given there are rides that some wheelchair bound people cannot ride, they don't have to allow everything. In fact reasonable accommodations could be much different than you think.

I've done it 3 times online in the last year. Last being in April for a June trip. They were kind 2 of 3 times but never did they brush off. I was asked why i need special accommodations. YMMV as I said but I'd be prepared for more in the future. In fact you can find old DAS discussions and see stories of issues I've even had. Personally I find it disappointing if they weren't asking questions as they should so people would stop acting like it's easy to abuse.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
You're actually incorrect, and yes Disney does. Disney has alternative arrangements on each and every ride depending on your limitations. You are missing that each ride has accomodations for those who are physically disabled. DAS is for those whose disabilities are not met by using a wheel chair or ECV.

Other Considerations

A Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need DAS. Depending on the experience, Guests utilizing a wheelchair or scooter will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction that is comparable to the current standby wait. If you’re a Guest who has mobility questions or concerns, please view Services for Guests with Mobility Disabilities.

ADA does not limit as much as you think. Even ADA allows one to ask a couple questions about service dogs and what they might be trained to do. ADA from their own words says The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities in several areas, including employment, transportation, public accommodations, communications and access to state and local government' programs and services.

So under ADA

Title III (Public Accommodations)​

Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability by Public Accommodations and in Commercial Facilities​

This title prohibits private places of public accommodation from discriminating against individuals with disabilities. Examples of public accommodations include privately-owned, leased or operated facilities like hotels, restaurants, retail merchants, doctor’s offices, golf courses, private schools, day care centers, health clubs, sports stadiums, movie theaters, and so on. This title sets the minimum standards for accessibility for alterations and new construction of facilities. It also requires public accommodations to remove barriers in existing buildings where it is easy to do so without much difficulty or expense. This title directs businesses to make "reasonable modifications" to their usual ways of doing things when serving people with disabilities. It also requires that they take steps necessary to communicate effectively with customers with vision, hearing, and speech disabilities. This title is regulated and enforced by the U.S. Department of Justice

Given there are rides that some wheelchair bound people cannot ride, they don't have to allow everything. In fact reasonable accommodations could be much different than you think.

I've done it 3 times online in the last year. Last being in April for a June trip. They were kind 2 of 3 times but never did they brush off. I was asked why i need special accommodations. YMMV as I said but I'd be prepared for more in the future. In fact you can find old DAS discussions and see stories of issues I've even had. Personally I find it disappointing if they weren't asking questions as they should so people would stop acting like it's easy to abuse.

There's a BIG difference asking about a service dog ("is this a service animal?" "What tasks has it been trained to perform?") and asking the nature and extent of a guest's disability, in order to grant that guest an accommodation. I've said repeatedly businesses have to provide "reasonable" accommodations, which would include the costs to modify access. The ADA prohibits businesses covered by the Act from asking a patron what their disability is, etc.

However, that's NOT the discussion here. If CMs are asking guests what their disability is to determine if they'll grant the guest a DAS, THAT'S a problem. By declaring those guests using mobility devices are ineligible for a DAS, they are in essence discriminating against those guests.

correcaminos

Just coming in to say apologies for continuing irrelevant discussions as I did. Disney can ask what you need accomodations for (examples like panic attacks in line or sensitive to heat due to a medication) and be prepared to explain. Some of us give a diagnosis willingly because often that helps. Or use terms to explain a need. If your needs do not fit into DAS (ie wheelchair only user will not) then you can be denied. That's the short of it all.

Dayma

In our experience. You will have no issues getting DAS with anxiety disorder. In reality they ask you what it's for, but are not doctors and not trying to diagnose if its valid or not. Disney wants nothing to do with that it seems.

They may suggest other options that may work better in your situation but if you tell them you are jus more comfortable with the DAS options, they will give it to you.

Hcalvert

I pre-registered for a DAS for my trip last month. They do ask what accomodations you need. I explained that I had problems standing in a stationary line for more than 10 minutes without enduring pain to my knees, thus negatively affecting my mobility. The castmember did ask me if a wheelchair would suffice as an accomodation. I informed her that it would not due to the nature of my disability as it would further aggravate my disability and mobility. I was approved then. I ended up getting my first cortisone shot in one of my knees the day before my trip, so that vastly helped as well as the temporary handicap placard that my doctor prescribed me after hearing I was going to be at Disney for over two weeks. I never would have endured that trip without the minimal use of DAS, the cortisone shot, and that placard.

I was at Guest Services during my trip and witnessed castmembers turn several different people away for DAS due to insufficient reason/accomodations that a DAS would be appropriate for. I did have a castmember at one of the rides say something to me about getting the G+ service for free. I respectfully put him in his place.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I pre-registered for a DAS for my trip last month. They do ask what accomodations you need. I explained that I had problems standing in a stationary line for more than 10 minutes without enduring pain to my knees, thus negatively affecting my mobility. The castmember did ask me if a wheelchair would suffice as an accomodation. I informed her that it would not due to the nature of my disability as it would further aggravate my disability and mobility. I was approved then. I ended up getting my first cortisone shot in one of my knees the day before my trip, so that vastly helped as well as the temporary handicap placard that my doctor prescribed me after hearing I was going to be at Disney for over two weeks. I never would have endured that trip without the minimal use of DAS, the cortisone shot, and that placard.

I was at Guest Services during my trip and witnessed castmembers turn several different people away for DAS due to insufficient reason/accomodations that a DAS would be appropriate for. I did have a castmember at one of the rides say something to me about getting the G+ service for free. I respectfully put him in his place.

So they are questioning guests about the nature and extent of their disability....

Chi84

Premium Member
So they are questioning guests about the nature and extent of their disability....
I didn’t interpret the questions that way. Weren’t they just directed at the type of accommodation that would be reasonable? It looks like the guest volunteered the rest. CM just asked what accommodation would be needed and then asked if a wheelchair would reasonably accommodate the disability. When the answer was no, DAS was provided.

correcaminos

I take it you've never had to get DAS because... (continuing thought below)
I didn’t interpret the questions that way. Weren’t they just directed at the type of accommodation that would be reasonable? It looks like the guest volunteered the rest. CM just asked what accommodation would be needed and then asked if a wheelchair would reasonably accommodate the disability. When the answer was no, DAS was provided.
This is correct. I will say I have no issues saying PTSD myself (they sure don't get the cause of it) or a symptom I have like neuropathy. Those often help get to the point quickly, and I volunteer it. I have a medical note written up too just in case but unlike other parks, they never ask.

I am so sorry the interaction with the CM happened, but glad you spoke up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom