Dark ride in Germany?? (Way old news)

Nicole

Original Poster
Anyone else get the All Ears newsletter? There is an article in there that quotes from a 1982 Epcot construction update which talks about a planned dark ride in Germany that was supposed to be a boat cruise down several German rivers.

Does anyone know anything about this?? Sounds like it would have been a great thing, and the update is from just a few months before Epcot opened so you'd think there would have been some preliminary construction at that point.

jrriddle

I don't get the news letter, but if I recall it was a boat ride on the Rhine (sp?) River. The building for it is still there. I think someone said it's for CM use now.
If you go into the WDWMagic Member's pictures someone has the attraction layout. Marni or Lee I think.

loading890

That would have been cool. I heard that it was by the entrance to the Biergarten. World showcase needs more attractions!! Does anybody agree with me? A couple more boatrides showcasing the countries would be cool.

jrriddle

I don't know. More attractions in WS is a must. Right now it's the world's nicest food court.
But from what I recall the plans looked kind of dull.

Moustronaut

NSCMC said:
Anyone else get the All Ears newsletter? There is an article in there that quotes from a 1982 Epcot construction update which talks about a planned dark ride in Germany that was supposed to be a boat cruise down several German rivers.

Does anyone know anything about this?? Sounds like it would have been a great thing, and the update is from just a few months before Epcot opened so you'd think there would have been some preliminary construction at that point.

The ride building was constructed. That's one of the reasons the German castle building is so large compaired to what's actually inside it. There was a story in the Chicago tribune a while back about the 20 best kept secrets about WDW. The german river ride was one of the secrets. It was cut at the last minute due to budget reasons.

Do a thread search here and you can find the article I'm talking about

netenyahoo

I think this would be a great attraction to finally be built. It is a simple attraction, so it wouldn't be terribly expensive. It would be nice to have another attraction in WS. Could it still be built or have other things been done to the area to make it impossible now?

waltdisny

As I recall there was also supposed to be an attraction in Japan (the building is there). Construction was started, diverted to Tokyo, then scrapped altogether. The description I read was for a Hall of Presidents type show, only with Samurai Warriors.

jrriddle

I'm not sure but I think the attraction was called Meet the World (again I think that was the name) it was originally in Disneyland Tokyo.
Was that it?

Also let's not forget the never built Mt. Fuji (one of the coolest unbuilt attractions of any park) or the Matterhorn.

bhg469

kinda makes me sad becuase that ride in canada probably wont happen. I still love epcot just wish it could be more without taking stuff away

jrriddle

bhg469 said:
kinda makes me sad becuase that ride in canada probably wont happen. I still love epcot just wish it could be more without taking stuff away

What's the word on that? Is it officially dead? That is too bad. I didn't even care if it was themed to Brother Bear or DCA's Grizzly Point. A really good raft ride at WDW would have been great!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep - before the Mt. Fuji Rollercoaster, Japan was to have `Meet the World`. Think a Carousel of Progress theatre, but with a mix of film and AA`s giving a show about Japans history. The show was built, so was the show building, but I have it from a good source (ex Epcot Center CM) the building as finished wasn`t built correctly, so the show was shipped off to Tomorrowland in Tokyo Disneyland. Where it rotated until recently when Buzz Lightyear took its place.

FigmentJedi

One of the other plans for the Japan pavillion was one of the early concepts for Fire Mountain and would have starred Godzilla. The ride would of began as a bullet train tour of Tokyo. Suddenly, Godzilla surfaces in Tokyo Bay and the rest of the ride is a frantic race back to the station, while evading Godzilla, concluding with a face to face encounter with a full sized animatronic Godzilla head. Here's a really old article about the plans for Fire Mountain throughout the years, including the WS version of Matterhorn and Mt. Fuji: http://www.arkstar.com/dreamfinder/dit899.htm

netenyahoo

Just think how exciting World Showcase would be with all these rumored and discarded rides. Disney needs to pump some money into getting rides built.

DigitalDisney

The ride looks less extensive than I imagined. It looks like it only goes back a little farther than the back of Oktoberfest. Since the building back there is huge, I imagined the ride going up a floor, much like Maelstrom does.

What could possibly have been on this boat ride? Would it have been another catchy song and dance number like El Rio Del Tiempo? Would it have been something leisurely and quiet? And what would be the scenery along the way? Forests? Cities? AAs?

There are certainly no thrill elements to this ride, not even on the POTC or Maelstrom level. This isn't a complaint. It's just an observation. It certainly reflects the attitude of Epcot at the time.

There's gotta be a good bit of concept art about this ride hidden at WDI somewhere. If it was cancelled at the last minute, that means it was almost entirely designed, and some items may have even been built for it.

Ed #1: Whenever I see that painting behind Sommerfest, I will always think of what could have been. That wall and the adjacent walls in Oktoberfest should have opened to reveal the boat cruise.

Ed #2: Wow, I can't stop thinking about this thing. Upon closer examination of the illustration, the ride looks to be a version of the Storybookland ride over at DL. For the most part, the ride goes down a path, makes a U turn, and goes back. The track is very close, which means that there probably aren't any "rooms" in the ride. This leads me to believe that people would be looking outward most of the time. If I am not mistaken, the layout of Storybookland is very similar (out and back) to this proposed layout. Just a thought.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
WS could certainly use another attraction, IMHO. It feels, to me, like more of a walk-thru, instead of a park. While I would walk great lengths.... wait a minute, I already do! for the American Adventure, nothing else in WS is really enticing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom