Dark PerGron's Manor of Mysteries [Hype Thread] {Sign Ups}

PerGron

Original Poster
Showcase.jpg

For day two of our little game, we tackle another wonderous topic, one that is very near and dear to my heart. As many of you know, my passion above all else are animals. However, what you may not know is that one of my biggest passions within that broader topic are extinct animals, particularly animals that have gone extinct since humans have existed. For that reason, let's take a gander at the species that once were but are no longer. I'm personally going to exclude dinosaurs and pre-Mesozoic species as I feel like that'd be a wholly different list, but feel free to include them if you'd like to.

Also, for anyone reading, we have plenty more spots to fill with only 3 days to go, so please sign up if you're interested in doing so! With that, here is my list of Top 5 Extinct Animals.

#5-Kauaʻi ʻōʻō
(Moho braccatus)
OO.jpg

Hawaii has some of the world's most unique and gorgeous bird species on the planet, it's a place I absolutely need to go birding at some point in my life. While there are plenty of extinct birds from Hawaii that are prettier and more unique than the Kaua'i ʻōʻō, the reason this species makes the list for me is the haunting recording of this bird. There is a recording of the (believed) final individual letting out a mating call into the forest with no call in response. With that recording, this little bird plunged itself into my top 5.

#4- Smilodon (Smilodon fatalis)
Smilodon.jpg

I didn't want to flood my list with Pleistocene species as cool and unique as they are. Woolly mammoths and rhinos, giant ground sloths, etc. they're all super interesting, but the reason I don't have them here is I just find anthropocene extinctions more interesting. Sure, humans had a role in Pleistocene megafauna extinctions, but they were also going out regardless. That being said, I'm a big cat fan and there isn't a better example of a cool big cat than the smilodon or saber-tooth cat. I tossed around American cheetah and cave lion for this spot, but really, it's gotta go to our denticulary well-endowed smilodon.

#3- Passenger Pigeon (Ectopistes migratorius)
Passenger.jpg

I like to put the passenger pigeon in the category of "animals nobody would care about if it were still around," because it really does just look like a pigeon. However, the fact this was once the most wide-spread bird in all of North America with flocks that would darken the skies for hours as they passed over and they've been reduced to nothing is both crazy and tragic. I think one thing that puts this bird this high on the list too is the likelihood of it's de-extinction. While cloning is a controversial topic and people always talk about the woolly mammoth being the big one to get to, the idea of de-extinction for the passenger pigeon has been around and the Bronx Zoo even has a plan for an exhibit for them when it happens. I'd love to see this bird once again on Earth, and I think it has a better chance than most other extinct species which gives it this spot.

#2- Great Auk (Pinguinus impennis)
Great Auk.jpg

Yeah, I'm a bird guy, but the great auk is a fascinating species of seabird that once existed right in my home state of Maine. I could've had what is effectively the northern hemisphere equivalent to the penguin right outside my door, yet it was taken away. In reality, the great auk is a fascinating species of flightless seabird that played the same ecological role as penguins do. The idea of a northern equivalent to the beloved penguin is awesome and I wish they were still around.

#1- Thylacine (Thylacinus cynocephalus)
Thylacine.jpg

Not only is the thylacine my #1 on this list, but it is my favorite species of animal to have ever walked the Earth, and the fact it's extinct is a massive travesty. A carnivorous marsupial the size of a medium dog, with jaws that can unhinge like a snake, stripes like a tiger, and live in packs like wolves, what's not to love? The thylacine is just a fascinating species that is also on the shortlist for de-extinction and I really really need this one to happen. It really is the greatest animal of all time.

So what's your list? Are you a big dino-fan? Do you like the ice age species? Share below and don't forget to sign up for Manor of Mysteries starting this friday!​

MonorailRed

Applebees
View attachment 747930

For day two of our little game, we tackle another wonderous topic, one that is very near and dear to my heart. As many of you know, my passion above all else are animals. However, what you may not know is that one of my biggest passions within that broader topic are extinct animals, particularly animals that have gone extinct since humans have existed. For that reason, let's take a gander at the species that once were but are no longer. I'm personally going to exclude dinosaurs and pre-Mesozoic species as I feel like that'd be a wholly different list, but feel free to include them if you'd like to.

Also, for anyone reading, we have plenty more spots to fill with only 3 days to go, so please sign up if you're interested in doing so! With that, here is my list of Top 5 Extinct Animals.

#5-Kauaʻi ʻōʻō
(Moho braccatus)
View attachment 747932
Hawaii has some of the world's most unique and gorgeous bird species on the planet, it's a place I absolutely need to go birding at some point in my life. While there are plenty of extinct birds from Hawaii that are prettier and more unique than the Kaua'i ʻōʻō, the reason this species makes the list for me is the haunting recording of this bird. There is a recording of the (believed) final individual letting out a mating call into the forest with no call in response. With that recording, this little bird plunged itself into my top 5.

View attachment 747935
I didn't want to flood my list with Pleistocene species as cool and unique as they are. Woolly mammoths and rhinos, giant ground sloths, etc. they're all super interesting, but the reason I don't have them here is I just find anthropocene extinctions more interesting. Sure, humans had a role in Pleistocene megafauna extinctions, but they were also going out regardless. That being said, I'm a big cat fan and there isn't a better example of a cool big cat than the smilodon or saber-tooth cat. I tossed around American cheetah and cave lion for this spot, but really, it's gotta go to our denticulary well-endowed smilodon.

View attachment 747936
I like to put the passenger pigeon in the category of "animals nobody would care about if it were still around," because it really does just look like a pigeon. However, the fact this was once the most wide-spread bird in all of North America with flocks that would darken the skies for hours as they passed over and they've been reduced to nothing is both crazy and tragic. I think one thing that puts this bird this high on the list too is the likelihood of it's de-extinction. While cloning is a controversial topic and people always talk about the woolly mammoth being the big one to get to, the idea of de-extinction for the passenger pigeon has been around and the Bronx Zoo even has a plan for an exhibit for them when it happens. I'd love to see this bird once again on Earth, and I think it has a better chance than most other extinct species which gives it this spot.

View attachment 747937
Yeah, I'm a bird guy, but the great auk is a fascinating species of seabird that once existed right in my home state of Maine. I could've had what is effectively the northern hemisphere equivalent to the penguin right outside my door, yet it was taken away. In reality, the great auk is a fascinating species of flightless seabird that played the same ecological role as penguins do. The idea of a northern equivalent to the beloved penguin is awesome and I wish they were still around.

View attachment 747938
Not only is the thylacine my #1 on this list, but it is my favorite species of animal to have ever walked the Earth, and the fact it's extinct is a massive travesty. A carnivorous marsupial the size of a medium dog, with jaws that can unhinge like a snake, stripes like a tiger, and live in packs like wolves, what's not to love? The thylacine is just a fascinating species that is also on the shortlist for de-extinction and I really really need this one to happen. It really is the greatest animal of all time.

So what's your list? Are you a big dino-fan? Do you like the ice age species? Share below and don't forget to sign up for Manor of Mysteries starting this friday!​

I’ll join in!

Disney Warrior

View attachment 747930

#5-Kauaʻi ʻōʻō
(Moho braccatus)
View attachment 747932

View attachment 747935

View attachment 747936

View attachment 747937

View attachment 747938

1. Trex
2. Pterodactyl
3. Stegasaurus
4. Sabretoothed cat
5. Wooly mammoth
(Pokemon (both real and fanmade) taught me some of these)

cdunlap

5. Laughing Owl
4. Moa
3. Haast Eagle
2. Carolina Parakeet
1. Passenger Pigeon
(Yes, I know that these are all birds and three of them are from New Zealand and the other two are form the Southern USA!)

Last edited:

PerGron

Original Poster
IMG_6839.jpeg

As we reach closer and closer to our start date, we must get spookier and more mysterious with our daily Top 5’s. Now, how better to celebrate than discussing mysteries themselves. Today’s topic is Top 5 Real Life Unsolved Mysteries. These can be true crime, paranormal, or otherwise, but the rule is, they must remain unsolved.

As a kind reminder, we are still accepting signups. We have 11 players currently with room for 20, so still plenty of spots if you’d like to sign up!

With that, here’s my top 5.

#5- The Year of the Clown (2016)
IMG_6841.jpeg

The only one on the list most of us have lived through, it’s not necessarily a mystery who these clowns were, it was just people. The mystery is why it became such a phenomenon and who started it. I’ve seen theories it was tied to the marketing push for 2017’s “It” remake, but that doesn’t make any sense because it was never actually claimed. Most of the incidents I’m sure were just people setting out to jump on a trend and scare some people, but the whole year of 2016 was wild and crazy with Pokemon Go and so many celebrity deaths that clowns just rounded out the insanity.

#4- Barney & Betty Hill (1961)
IMG_6842.jpeg

Growing up in New England, this was our scary extraterrestrial story. We didn’t have Mothman or Area 51, we had Barney and Betty Hill. Now, I don’t personally believe in extraterrestrial life that is capable of interplanetary travel or anything like that, but the mystery of what happened to the Hills was always an interesting mystery growing up. Theories range from actual extraterrestrials to kidnappings due to the couple being mixed race, but whatever the incident was, there’s no denying it’s captured my attention for a long time.

#3- Dyatlov Pass Incident (1959)
IMG_6844.jpeg

One that has probably been solved but no official solving has been 100% confirmed so I’m claiming it as unsolved. What led these college students to taking a different trail and getting lost and frozen? Why were they missing clothes and why was everything torn up? I’ve seen theories from other hikers to yetis, though the answer probably is just an avalanche. Still, a classic unsolved mystery.

#2- The Hope Diamond (Throughout History)
IMG_6846.jpeg

As a kid I remember going to Washington D.C. and my mom and aunt making such a big deal about the Hope Diamond and us having to walk through a huge geology section to reach this tiny necklace in a glass box surrounded by people. It reminded me of seeing the Mona Lisa and I thought it was so boring. However, having since learned it’s history, the Hope Diamond is fascinating, from being sold in India to a French Merchant and eventually trading hands to Marie Antoinette and beyond, this Diamond is allegedly cursed, leading to the death and downfall of all who own it. It’s an interesting and intriguing story, and one that may or may not play a role in my Manor..,

#1- The Flannan Isle Lighthouse Disappearances (1900)
IMG_6847.jpeg

Since I’m a huge fan of 2019’s “The Lighthouse,” it should come as no surprise that one of the stories that inspired it tops the list. I grew up around lighthouses and had friends whose dad tended them. Stories similar Flannan Isles were passed around, but the fact this is a true story that occurred is crazy and fascinating.

So what are yours? Share below and don’t forget to sign up if you haven’t already!

cdunlap

My Top 5 Historical Unsolved Mysteries:

5. The Missing Twin Pyramids of Lake Moeris in Egypt: Two Identical Pyramids located in the center of Lake Moeris, a man made lake in the Egyptian Sahara, were documented by several Greco Roman sources but aren’t standing today. They were taller than the Pyramids of Giza and they were capped with twin statues of a god or pharaoh.
IMG_2531.jpeg

4. The Collapse of Teotihuacan: Teotihuacan was a major city and cultural hub in Central Mexico long before the Aztecs. It expanded by way of conquest. One day, it all vanished. The reason why is unknown to this day.
IMG_2530.jpeg

3. Roman Dodecahedrons: Small, metal dodecahedrons with large holes punctured into each face and knobs on each corner have been found at several Roman sites. Nobody knows what their function was.
IMG_2532.jpeg

2. Quipu: The quipu was a set of knotted strings that the Andean Natives of South America used for accounting and record keeping. The colorful strings filled with patterned knots kept track of detailed data about many things, such as population, taxes, dates, and the military. Many scholars believe that they only document numeric information but some of my books would like to say otherwise.
IMG_2527.jpeg

1. The Voynich Manuscript: Named for the rare books dealer who rediscovered it in the early 1900s, the codex dates back to the 1400s. It’s page after page of hand written text in an unknown language accompanied by images of unidentifiable plants and astrological charts. Cryptographers have studied the book, kept at Yale, for decades, certain that the book’s text can, in fact, be read but none have succeeded. It may shock you, but I have a book with a copied page from the Voynich in there and the book claims that it can read it, but this is clearly not Voynich script!
IMG_2529.jpeg

(Yes, I know that Ancient Mexico and Ancient Peru appeared, but come on you guys, you all know that was inevitable. However, I did branch out and choose Egypt, Rome, and the Middle Ages as other eras. I also tried to do more niche historical mysteries than Atlantis, Stonehenge, geoglyphs only viewable from above, etc so I chose some that I am very passionate about. I hope one day we can read Quipus and the Voynich, I hope one day we find out what the use of a Roman dodecahedron is and how Teotihuacan fell. I hope one day we find the ruins of Lake Moeris's twin pyramids. Another thing about me is I like twin structures in history like the twin pyramids. My favorite is probably the former Twin Towers of NYC. My teacher showed the interiors and events that happened there before that fateful day in 2001, like weddings atop the towers. It made me miss two buildings I never had pleasure of seeing.)

Last edited:

Disney Warrior

The only ones I really know about are ones already said by other people and lost media. Some of my favorite unsolved mysteries include lost songs such as “Everyone Knows That” and “Like the Wind” because they are good songs and I want to know who made them, it is fun to track the progress

Miru

Alright, for extinct animals:

5. Neanderthal (while yes they’re a variant human, humans are animals too)
4. Thylacine
3. Therizinosaurus
2. Utahraptor
1. Triceratops

Mysteries
5. Sonic Adventure 3
4. The Disney Animation Research Library
3. Walt Disney’s frozen head
2. Bigfoot
1. Hollow Earth

Chaos Cat

I don't really do top 5 lists, but I will bring up my favotie mysteries not yet mentioned: The Beast of Gevaudan and the Dancing Plague.

I feel like the fact that they're both French says something, but I'm not sure what.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom