Daredevil Cancelled

Princess Leia

Alright, so there was a clause (for the original 4 Defenders shows- not sure about Punisher) that the characters can’t appear in a non-Netflix series or film until 2 years have passed after cancellation. If a Daredevil film is greenlit, it’ll probably be late 2020 at the earliest.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Alright, so there was a clause (for the original 4 Defenders shows- not sure about Punisher) that the characters can’t appear in a non-Netflix series or film until 2 years have passed after cancellation. If a Daredevil film is greenlit, it’ll probably be late 2020 at the earliest.

Of course, doesn't mean you can't start filming sooner than later and have a full slate ready to go when the window opens...

Princess Leia

Of course, doesn't mean you can't start filming sooner than later and have a full slate ready to go when the window opens...
Honestly, I am so tired of the big secret around whatever comes after Phase 3. Everyone knows the characters who were dusted are coming back, and Marvel has been announcing directors for projects left and right. I get not wanting another Inhumans snafu (announcing a film years in advance that ended up being a poorly received tv show), and the Fox deal throws in a curveball, but I don’t think there’s harm in telling people when Black Panther 2 is coming out.

The Daredevil scenario is a little different. Marvel could start crafting a story to fit in the film universe, but it becomes a question of whether or not to include the tv cast and crew or start fresh.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
https://screenrant.com/daredevil-charlie-***-fan-petition-save-show/

Okay, so the link isn’t going to work because the site just censored the lead actor’s last name 🙄

Co.x and D’Onofrio both are backing the fan petition to save the show.

I actually feel bad for the cast and crew here. Daredevil was probably the most successful Marvel series on Netflix, and it’s not their fault that Disney+ is going to kill off the Netflix MCU.

This link should work: https://tinyurl.com/y7qwxxxw

seascape

Netflix is making a huge mistake. They had the ability to keep 5 Marvel Shows on their network and keep their Marvel fans happy. What did they accomplish by dropping 5 shows that I watch? Nothing. I may have kept their service if they had kept as much Marvel as they could because I enjoyed all 5 of those shows. But no, they think they are hurting Disney by dropping them. They are wrong, all they will do is get more people to sign up for Hulu and Disney+.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Netflix is making a huge mistake. They had the ability to keep 5 Marvel Shows on their network and keep their Marvel fans happy. What did they accomplish by dropping 5 shows that I watch? Nothing. I may have kept their service if they had kept as much Marvel as they could because I enjoyed all 5 of those shows. But no, they think they are hurting Disney by dropping them. They are wrong, all they will do is get more people to sign up for Hulu and Disney+.
Is it Netflix dropping them because they want to or Disney not renewing rights ( to got more viewers to Hulu/D+ ) ?

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
I believe Netflix will be ok. They are putting in new shoes and to me most of them are compelling. Still, Disney is going to eat into their business but that’s out of their control. Disney wants all of its properties and can you blame them?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Just to clear up some facts about this all...I stated earlier that this wasn't up to Netflix, turns out that wasn't correct entirely.

These shows are insanely expensive to produce, and for the most part have been pretty poor. Initially viewership was high despite this, but as time has gone on, viewership has sunk while costs have risen.

Netflix was willing to keep the shows going, had Disney allowed them to shorten the seasons to 6-8 Episodes, and reduce costs. Disney however, said no dice.

So there you have it. The Marvel Netflix shows weren't very good, didn't have a huge viewership, and were insanely expensive to produce. Netflix tried to keep them on by reducing the number of episodes thereby reducing the overall production costs, and Disney said Nah.

FWIW, these violent iterations of Marvel will 100% not be on the Disney OTT service. So they are done.

Princess Leia

Just to clear up some facts about this all...I stated earlier that this wasn't up to Netflix, turns out that wasn't correct entirely.

These shows are insanely expensive to produce, and for the most part have been pretty poor. Initially viewership was high despite this, but as time has gone on, viewership has sunk while costs have risen.

Netflix was willing to keep the shows going, had Disney allowed them to shorten the seasons to 6-8 Episodes, and reduce costs. Disney however, said no dice.

So there you have it. The Marvel Netflix shows weren't very good, didn't have a huge viewership, and were insanely expensive to produce. Netflix tried to keep them on by reducing the number of episodes thereby reducing the overall production costs, and Disney said Nah.

FWIW, these violent iterations of Marvel will 100% not be on the Disney OTT service. So they are done.
And what’s unfortunate about this is that the shows would have been so much better if they had a smaller episode count. Every single show would have been better with a trimmed order. Disney’s mistake.

seascape

And what’s unfortunate about this is that the shows would have been so much better if they had a smaller episode count. Every single show would have been better with a trimmed order. Disney’s mistake.
IMO, Disney was right. Netflix wanted the shows at a lower cost. They wanted to dumb it down. If Marvel had agreed it would have hurt its product and thus the value of Marvel's name and shows
Disney did not cancel the shows Netflix did. Also the production costs of all shows increases over time not decrease as Netflix wants. In fact what thos decision shows is Netflix would never have a show that lasts as long as The Simpsons or MASH, Friends, etc. because the costs would be too high, they want series that last a few years and end. They are showing how cheap they are and they ate trying to fool people with lots of cheap shows that they will end disappointing you when they cancelled. They will not let a show to go long enough to go through its correct life cycle.

LSLS

IMO, Disney was right. Netflix wanted the shows at a lower cost. They wanted to dumb it down. If Marvel had agreed it would have hurt its product and thus the value of Marvel's name and shows
Disney did not cancel the shows Netflix did. Also the production costs of all shows increases over time not decrease as Netflix wants. In fact what thos decision shows is Netflix would never have a show that lasts as long as The Simpsons or MASH, Friends, etc. because the costs would be too high, they want series that last a few years and end. They are showing how cheap they are and they ate trying to fool people with lots of cheap shows that they will end disappointing you when they cancelled. They will not let a show to go long enough to go through its correct life cycle.

Wait, isnt that the exact model Disney runs with their shows?

erasure fan1

Netflix wanted the shows at a lower cost. They wanted to dumb it down. If Marvel had agreed it would have hurt its product and thus the value of Marvel's name and shows
I'm not sure they wanted to "dumb it down". From what I read, they wanted a lower cost, like you said, but that would be achieved through less episodes. And in my opinion, less episodes won't dumb things down, it makes it stronger. They can focus more effort into a smaller amount and you can cut a lot of filler. I think what happened is Disney didn't want Netflix to have marvel so they decided to be tools and not agree to what Netflix wanted to do. And that forced them to just cancel them since they weren't mega hits and the cost was super high.

seascape

I'm not sure they wanted to "dumb it down". From what I read, they wanted a lower cost, like you said, but that would be achieved through less episodes. And in my opinion, less episodes won't dumb things down, it makes it stronger. They can focus more effort into a smaller amount and you can cut a lot of filler. I think what happened is Disney didn't want Netflix to have marvel so they decided to be tools and not agree to what Netflix wanted to do. And that forced them to just cancel them since they weren't mega hits and the cost was super high.
We will never know how many people watch things on Netflix because only Neyflix knows and they don't release that information. Even if they did, it would be unverified numbers. Nielsen may not be perfect but at least it's a 3rd party and independent.

erasure fan1

We will never know how many people watch things on Netflix because only Neyflix knows and they don't release that information. Even if they did, it would be unverified numbers. Nielsen may not be perfect but at least it's a 3rd party and independent.
Yea Netflix doesn't really give numbers and that's why I said what I did. If the numbers were there, I'm sure Netflix wiuld have poneyed up. They are spending like crazy on content so if it had the numbers, it continues. I think they wanted them but felt they didn't need them so they figured they would go to Disney, see if they could reduce the cost. Disney said go pound sand, so Netflix dropped them. Of course like all things with Disney we'll never truly get the answer.

seascape

Yea Netflix doesn't really give numbers and that's why I said what I did. If the numbers were there, I'm sure Netflix wiuld have poneyed up. They are spending like crazy on content so if it had the numbers, it continues. I think they wanted them but felt they didn't need them so they figured they would go to Disney, see if they could reduce the cost. Disney said go pound sand, so Netflix dropped them. Of course like all things with Disney we'll never truly get the answer.
If you can't be sure, why blame Disney? The reason I blame Netflix is that if I were them I would have kept the showd going even if they weren't the top shows because they would help attract Disney Marvel fans. To me it looks like Netflix is saying screw you to people like me. They are saying they don't care about me but others viewers. I have been a subscriber you many years going back to when they were only a mail DVD company. If they don't care about me I won't care about them. Good by Netflix. I won't miss you. I have Hulu and will have Disney+ and Amazon Prime.

erasure fan1

If you can't be sure, why blame Disney? The reason I blame Netflix is that if I were them I would have kept the showd going even if they weren't the top shows because they would help attract Disney Marvel fans. To me it looks like Netflix is saying screw you to people like me. They are saying they don't care about me but others viewers. I have been a subscriber you many years going back to when they were only a mail DVD company. If they don't care about me I won't care about them. Good by Netflix. I won't miss you. I have Hulu and will have Disney+ and Amazon Prime.
The reason I blame Disney is they refused the shorter seasons to make the show more cost effective. You are right, Netflix harbors some blame as well. The shows aren't doing what they want, so in the end, like I get told all of the time on this site, it's a business. What it boils down to is Netflix doesn't think they need your money. Just like Disney doesn't need or care about my money. We don't make up enough of the demographic for them to care. Netflix is the king and if Disney won't play, then Netflix will take its ball and go home. I'm not saying it's right but that just seems to be how it goes now. If Disney wanted the shows to continue, they would have worked with Netflix. But in my heart, I believe they don't want any of their IPs with another company. Even if they don't plan to use it themselves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom