D23: The D stands for Disappointing (Updated)

smooch

Personally, I think Disney has greatly, massively overestimated the number of SW geeks who can/will pay that much for a LARP hotel. I’m picturing this as a mini version of the EuroDisney bellyflop, and could be remembered in the future as the signature icon of the end of Disney’s ugly “milk the wealthy” era.

Star Wars nerds spend a lot of money on Star Wars merch, Galaxy's Edge ran out of so much merch because I think Disney underestimated how many people would be willing to spend $20 for a pair of blue and red dice. When it comes to more serious Star Wars fans, the custom saber community for example is willing to spend hundreds of dollars on what is just a maglight with a tube on the end (and that's coming from someone who almost spent a couple hundred on parts to build my own saber) so I don't doubt the hotel is gonna be full of nerds that I will be jealous of.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
It really is sad that it was moved to a hotel that is so incredibly expensive and only on the East Coast, I can't believe I am going to be looking forward to videos of a hotel because there is no way I am going to ever be able to justify the price tag to stay at this hotel even if I am a huge Star Wars nerd.

What's the alternative? Make it affordable for everyone? Then everyone will be complaining that there's a 6 year-long waiting list to get in. Hasn't the AP program shown us that making experiences affordable generates mass crowds? I don't mind using cost as a regulator to crowds, as long as the quality is there to back it up...and that's the aspect we should be worried about.

BrianLo

I'm still down in San Diego and I'm now extra glad that I didn't buy a ticket and drive back up there for this one. Although there was a 36 hour window earlier this week where I was seriously considering going on Sunday and wandering around the exhibit halls wearing a t-shirt that said "I am TP2000! How may I help you?"

But tickets have been sold out for weeks... which of the Bobs or Zenia were going to walk you through the door? :eek:

Sir_Cliff

It will be interesting. I’m a major SW nerd and wouldn’t really have issues financially with this...but I really have zero desire to be completely immersed in this environment for 2 days. When I’m paying that money, it’s ok on a Disney Cruise or a great beachfront hotel but this almost feels like being locked up in an immersive prison for me at least. I do fear for those folks that will mortgage their futures to experience this though...and there will be plenty that do.
Exactly! I am not a Star Wars nerd, but this whole experience sounds godawful to me regardless of what it's themed to. This is where I tend to agree with those who suspect it will be a flop. Sure, there are lots of people into Star Wars with lots of money to spend. There's also plenty of money sloshing around the world. Are there really that many people with lots of money to spend who want to be locked away larping for several days, though? Keeping that going 365 days a year seems like a stretch, and I wouldn't be surprised if within six months it becomes something a lot closer to just a normal hotel themed to Star Wars.

Last edited:

smooch

What's the alternative? Make it affordable for everyone? Then everyone will be complaining that there's a 6 year-long waiting list to get in. Hasn't the AP program shown us that making experiences affordable generates mass crowds? I don't mind using cost as a regulator to crowds, as long as the quality is there to back it up...and that's the aspect we should be worried about.

Oh no I completely understand the hotel is expensive because it is a whole experience with all the "immersion" the price is not what I am really complaining about, I am just sad that the hotel that you have to pay so much for is getting all of the cool stuff we were promised would be in Galaxy's Edge but was not included. We already pay a lot to get into the parks to visit Galaxy's Edge, but if you want to have the walk around aliens and kinetic energy promised all these years, you have to go to Florida and pay a lot more than a typical hotel room there to experience what we were promised would be in the land itself.

jerryp49

Star Wars nerds spend a lot of money on Star Wars merch, Galaxy's Edge ran out of so much merch because I think Disney underestimated how many people would be willing to spend $20 for a pair of blue and red dice. When it comes to more serious Star Wars fans, the custom saber community for example is willing to spend hundreds of dollars on what is just a maglight with a tube on the end (and that's coming from someone who almost spent a couple hundred on parts to build my own saber) so I don't doubt the hotel is gonna be full of nerds that I will be jealous of.

They ran out because scalpers bought up as much as they could to resell on Ebay. You can find every color of Kyber crystal for twice what it cost in the park

BrianLo

Completed the only four vloggers/bloggers I would recognize, which means I probably saw 1000 in actuality with Ian and Tom Bricker (who was the only one of the four I slightly accosted).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom