D23 Parks and Resort Panel 2019

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A friend of mine is hyped for Target at WDW. He’s dumb and shills for everything, though. Imagine loving every decision a corporation makes because you’ve already invested so much time and money that you can’t confess you’ve wasted it all.
I can’t officially support your stance...

It’s not “magical”

Rich T

On the plus side, I'd rather meet n' greet this dog than any Marvel or Disney-era SW character:
tdog.jpg

Rich T

I’ve always liked Target, but I can’t stand when companies get overly political and Target has gone all in lately which is annoying. Still, it smells good in there and it beats the Walmart crew.
I've got a particularly lame target in my county. They never seem to restock anything and the employees all look bored out of their minds -- when they're not loudly complaining about their lives to other employees and having no discretion about cursing in front of the customers.

Stevek

In this unique case, the investment is fundamentally changing the product and the entire identity of a company that grew a huge fanbase over several generations based on a specific style of entertainment. Disney isn’t Amazon... well, ok, NOW it is...
Again, I'm not debating if it's the right investment...that's a whole other can of worms. I just don't get people that think they aren't doing anything when they are literally adding (or recently added) something to every park. They did very little for many, many years...I mean, the last major e-ticket Disneyland got was Indy before SWGE?

Stevek

A friend of mine is hyped for Target at WDW. He’s dumb and shills for everything, though. Imagine loving every decision a corporation makes because you’ve already invested so much time and money that you can’t confess you’ve wasted it all.
I'm not hyped for it but I don't see what the big deal is. It's literally on the outskirts of the resort...is it really any worse than the WalMart that's just down the road? Seems like a nice convenience for folks staying onsite.

Californian Elitist

I'm not hyped for it but I don't see what the big deal is. It's literally on the outskirts of the resort...is it really any worse than the WalMart that's just down the road? Seems like a nice convenience for folks staying onsite.

I don’t think people are upset about the Target in general, but more so the fact that Disney announced this on a D23 stage.

Stevek

I don’t think people are upset about the Target in general, but more so the fact that Disney announced this on a D23 stage.
Yeah, it really had zero place during that presentation. There probably was a more appropriate presentation but they also got max eyes on it given the size of the crowd. Hey, at least everyone got a $10 Target gift card...I'm sure some of the fanbois there could have used it on some deodorant :p

planodisney

Interesting article.

LA Times: D23 Expo: Is Disney’s intellectual property squeezing the theme out of our theme parks?

An excerpt:

Disney theme parks in recent years have been undergoing grand transformations, welcoming large-scale lands based upon acquisitions and partnerships. Movie-inspired areas such as Cars Land, Toy Story Land, Pandora — the World of Avatar and Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge are in, while the topic-based lands of yore — Adventureland, Frontierland, Tomorrowland — are no longer in vogue with theme park designers.

It’s a pivot that’s influencing the compositional purpose of the lands. Walt Disney Imagineers are increasingly emphasizing interactive elements and play-based experiences, and in the case of Galaxy’s Edge and the in-development Avengers Campus coming to Anaheim, a more plot-focused design approach. The increased cinematic influence is also gradually tweaking the very mission statements of the parks.

The past decade has seen a rethinking of the theme park’s role, and in turn how many of us consume mass entertainment. More than 150 million people last year took part in Disney-branded endeavors, said Bob Chapek, the senior Disney executive who oversees the company’s parks, on stage Sunday as part of Disney’s three-day fan focused event, the D23 Expo. Such a number illustrates the vital role Disney plays in shaping our cultural narrative.

But the company that once re-created an African savanna in Animal Kingdom or a park dedicated to science, technology, American industry and global culture in Epcot, is looking more inward when it comes to its theme parks in 2019. New projects discussed and announced on Sunday that are coming to Disneyland in Anaheim and Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla., focused almost exclusively on maximizing properties that can also live in the multiplex and, eventually, the upcoming streaming subscription service Disney+.

“We’re putting in more Disney, more Pixar, more Marvel and more ‘Star Wars’ into our parks,” Chapek said. “Every live show and spectacular should bring your favorite stories to life in thrilling ways.”

But when everything is Disney, Pixar, Marvel and “Star Wars,” are we at risk of someday losing the “theme” in our theme parks? Lands such as Galaxy’s Edge, currently open at Disneyland and launching in days at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida, are identical lands that exist in parks built on vastly different mission statements, the latter once dedicated to the how-to of movie-making. The big reveal at D23 Expo this year was Avengers Campus, which will exist as separate but connected lands in Disney California Adventure in Anaheim as well as Disney resorts in Paris and Hong Kong....

Stevek

Interesting article.

LA Times: D23 Expo: Is Disney’s intellectual property squeezing the theme out of our theme parks?

An excerpt:

Disney theme parks in recent years have been undergoing grand transformations, welcoming large-scale lands based upon acquisitions and partnerships. Movie-inspired areas such as Cars Land, Toy Story Land, Pandora — the World of Avatar and Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge are in, while the topic-based lands of yore — Adventureland, Frontierland, Tomorrowland — are no longer in vogue with theme park designers.

It’s a pivot that’s influencing the compositional purpose of the lands. Walt Disney Imagineers are increasingly emphasizing interactive elements and play-based experiences, and in the case of Galaxy’s Edge and the in-development Avengers Campus coming to Anaheim, a more plot-focused design approach. The increased cinematic influence is also gradually tweaking the very mission statements of the parks.

The past decade has seen a rethinking of the theme park’s role, and in turn how many of us consume mass entertainment. More than 150 million people last year took part in Disney-branded endeavors, said Bob Chapek, the senior Disney executive who oversees the company’s parks, on stage Sunday as part of Disney’s three-day fan focused event, the D23 Expo. Such a number illustrates the vital role Disney plays in shaping our cultural narrative.

But the company that once re-created an African savanna in Animal Kingdom or a park dedicated to science, technology, American industry and global culture in Epcot, is looking more inward when it comes to its theme parks in 2019. New projects discussed and announced on Sunday that are coming to Disneyland in Anaheim and Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla., focused almost exclusively on maximizing properties that can also live in the multiplex and, eventually, the upcoming streaming subscription service Disney+.

“We’re putting in more Disney, more Pixar, more Marvel and more ‘Star Wars’ into our parks,” Chapek said. “Every live show and spectacular should bring your favorite stories to life in thrilling ways.”

But when everything is Disney, Pixar, Marvel and “Star Wars,” are we at risk of someday losing the “theme” in our theme parks? Lands such as Galaxy’s Edge, currently open at Disneyland and launching in days at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida, are identical lands that exist in parks built on vastly different mission statements, the latter once dedicated to the how-to of movie-making. The big reveal at D23 Expo this year was Avengers Campus, which will exist as separate but connected lands in Disney California Adventure in Anaheim as well as Disney resorts in Paris and Hong Kong....

"Walt Disney Imagineers are increasingly emphasizing interactive elements and play-based experiences,"

Man I hate this so much. Pretty much every classic Disney attraction is the exact opposite of this.

Zorro

“We just kind of assume that people want to come and play with us a little bit more,” said Trowbridge, who led the Galaxy’s Edge teams. “But hopefully you guys like that idea. So if you don’t, clap now.”
For once, a fan convention was relatively quiet.

If I had been there, I would have tried starting a standing ovation.

giphy.gif

Cheney!

Interesting article.

An excerpt:

Man, this is exactly what we've been saying. Imagineering needs some real innovative and original storytelling if a ride is expected to stick around and be worth something. These flash-in-the-pan IP integrations only make sense as long as whatever they're meant to backhandly promote stays relevant, which I'm sure is why the budgets usually end up reduced. No harm replacing something that wasn't around very long and is tied to something people no longer care about.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Is it David from Freshbaked?

thenerdbaker

They probably announced Target like that because they promised it to make the deal. What other reason would it have been other than to fill time because they got cold feet about announcing things to early. Either way that presentation was way to long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom