D23 Move-In & Setup

Festivus

Original Poster
Was wondering if anyone out there had access to the Convention Center during the Setup for D23. I work part-time at the convention center here in Chicago. Generally, a show the size of what D23 looks to be takes anywhere from 1-2 weeks for move-in and set up. They should be starting work on it right now. Anyone who has access (laborers, convention center staff, security, EMS) could provide info/insight on booths and displays being setup. There could be hints as to what may be announced there(I'm crossing my fingers for Star Tours and TLM). If it were being held in Chicago, I certainly would get a peak and let everyone know. Anyways, if you have access it would be appreciated.

djpoore94

1-2 weeks? WOW, this show must be HUGE!!! My company does a 500,000 +/- square foot show every year and our move in, set up and session rooms only take 2-3 days to complete.

dreamfinder

1-2 weeks? WOW, this show must be HUGE!!! My company does a 500,000 +/- square foot show every year and our move in, set up and session rooms only take 2-3 days to complete.

According to Wikipedia (which must be true)
Since then, the convention hall has undergone three major expansions, and currently encloses over 800,000 square feet (74,000 m2) of floor space.

And there is another 130,000 sq ft of meeting/ballroom space, plus 200,000 sq ft "prefunction" space. So its does appear to be pretty darn big, and by all accounts, D23 is using all of it.

djpoore94

According to Wikipedia (which must be true)

And there is another 130,000 sq ft of meeting/ballroom space, plus 200,000 sq ft "prefunction" space. So its does appear to be pretty darn big, and by all accounts, D23 is using all of it.

Not trying to start anything, but it still seems far fetched that it would take that long. I mean, from the sounds of it, our show is not much smaller than that, 500,000 sq foot exhibit hall, plus 8-10 meeting/session rooms, and two ballrooms for various functions. And it's not like we're moving in small stuff here, a lot of our exhibitors bring huge work trucks that have to be moved in before the carpet can be finished to allow the smaller booths in.

dreamfinder

Not trying to start anything, but it still seems far fetched that it would take that long. I mean, from the sounds of it, our show is not much smaller than that, 500,000 sq foot exhibit hall, plus 8-10 meeting/session rooms, and two ballrooms for various functions. And it's not like we're moving in small stuff here, a lot of our exhibitors bring huge work trucks that have to be moved in before the carpet can be finished to allow the smaller booths in.

I no nothing. I do know however from my trade show experience, if the assorted Unions are involved with setup, everything does need to be done on their schedule. (not judging either way, just stating) Based on your 2-3 day estimate for 500, I could see 4-5 day for the 800, but I really don't know beyond that.

Kamikaze

Was wondering if anyone out there had access to the Convention Center during the Setup for D23. I work part-time at the convention center here in Chicago. Generally, a show the size of what D23 looks to be takes anywhere from 1-2 weeks for move-in and set up. They should be starting work on it right now. Anyone who has access (laborers, convention center staff, security, EMS) could provide info/insight on booths and displays being setup. There could be hints as to what may be announced there(I'm crossing my fingers for Star Tours and TLM). If it were being held in Chicago, I certainly would get a peak and let everyone know. Anyways, if you have access it would be appreciated.

They don't get close to that much time to set up.
I don't know what kind of shows you get, but they are doing something wrong setting up.

There are conventions in the ACC until 9/6, so between the tear down for that one, and setup for D23, Disney has 2 1/2 days at the most to set up D23. And I would say that is about right. 2 Days or so.

GMan123

Wow, I agree, 1-2 weeks sounds quite long. I have been to a few trade shows with my work and as large as they are, the convention centers usually have shows that size every week or every other week at the most. So usually 2-3 days is the max, I believe.

dznygirl64

How many people belong to D23 there cant be that many for a convention of that size.I used to go to the Disney Disneyana conventions at the Contemporary and they where not that large.Is the show for other vendors and not just D23 people?:shrug:

Festivus

Original Poster
Well, maybe I overestimated the size of the Anaheim Convention Center. McCormick Place here in Chicago is the largest Convention Center in America with 2.2 million sqaure feet of convention space. We do have shows that take up the entire facility. With regard to some of your comments, we absolutely have setup time spans of 1-2 weeks. Ofcourse, not all shows take that long, but some are massive and, yes, the scheduling is at the mercy of union contractors doing the work and contractual obligations. Also, we have had some very elaborate shows requiring the assembly of sometimes massive displays, stages, attractions, etc. Every industry that has their convention or trade show have unique requirements. Disney being Disney, one would think D23 would be pretty elaborate.

At any rate, the time frame is irrelevant, I'm just trying to find out if anyone has access to the convention center where D23 is taking place to, perhaps, get some advance info./hints at what may get announced at the show.

TP2000

The Anaheim Convention Center is the largest convention center on the West Coast, by a long shot. Bigger than San Diego's center where Comic-Con is held, bigger than Moscone Center in San Fran where Apple's MacWorld is held, bigger than the big centers in LA or Seattle or Portland.

Anaheim Convention Center is smaller than the mega-centers in Las Vegas or Chicago, but it's still a very large convention center. And D23 is using all of it, on every level, and even the 7,000 seat Anaheim Arena that is part of the center complex.

That's the main reason why D23 Expo is scheduled to be held in Anaheim through 2012, and beyond if D23 still exists. There is no facility on WDW property that comes close to the size of the Anaheim Convention Center. And even when you add up all the smaller convention facilities at the Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs, Yacht & Beach Club, and Boardwalk Resort, all of those WDW spaces combined still don't equal the size of the Anaheim Convention Center all under one roof.

And, it's right across the street from Disneyland! :lol:

_Scar

Blizzcon was recently in there (correct?) I know that's a HUGEEEEEEEEE convention, and it must take a while to clear that out too.

teebin

I was not surprised to see that the Orange County Convention Center here in Orlando is second only to McCormick Place by .2 million (point 2 million) sq feet. That place is scary big.

But relative to what one other poster here said, I attended the NAB Convention (National Association of Broadcasters) in Orlando and the day after closing, the entire space was nearly completely vacated by the end of that day.

Festivus

Original Poster
I was not surprised to see that the Orange County Convention Center here in Orlando is second only to McCormick Place by .2 million (point 2 million) sq feet. That place is scary big.

But relative to what one other poster here said, I attended the NAB Convention (National Association of Broadcasters) in Orlando and the day after closing, the entire space was nearly completely vacated by the end of that day.

Again, as I stated above, the shows we get in Chicago vary, some are bigger/smaller than others, and still some have a more complicated construction, which requires more time. I'm working here today and the move-in/setup is at 6 days. My thought behind D23 was that whatever display booths, signage, stages, etc. would showcase existing and new Disney product/attractions, thereby giving us a early glimpse or hint as to what may be announced at D23. The move-in and setup timeframe is irrelevant.

PaisleyMF

It will depend on what they are setting. Could be so simple yet elegant. Could be the massive pieces that were done by WDI. Either way, Depends on what's before at the ACC. Plus been Disney most of it was already built and labeled (as part A goes under part W) and usually takes less time to set.

I will guess that the Main ballroom + some exhibits are the most elaborate of them.

Wish I was working over there instead of here!

TP2000

Blizzcon was recently in there (correct?) I know that's a HUGEEEEEEEEE convention, and it must take a while to clear that out too.

Blizzcon was last weekend at the Anaheim Convention Center, and it was a big deal.

Festivus has an excellent point that the routine load-in of the larger pavilions and exhibits could give us a glimpse of what is to be announced at D23 Expo.

According to the center's calendar, the North American Reptile Breeders Conference (I'm not making that up) leaves the convention center on September 6th, and then there is nothing taking place in the entire facility until D23 opens on the 10th. Which makes sense, since D23 takes up the entire facility.

I wonder if I could just walk in there on the 8th or 9th looking like I know what I am doing and poke around? :confused:

Festivus

Original Poster
Blizzcon was last weekend at the Anaheim Convention Center, and it was a big deal.

Festivus has an excellent point that the routine load-in of the larger pavilions and exhibits could give us a glimpse of what is to be announced at D23 Expo.

According to the center's calendar, the North American Reptile Breeders Conference (I'm not making that up) leaves the convention center on September 6th, and then there is nothing taking place in the entire facility until D23 opens on the 10th. Which makes sense, since D23 takes up the entire facility.

I wonder if I could just walk in there on the 8th or 9th looking like I know what I am doing and poke around? :confused:

You might be able to just walk in. At McCormick Place there's a rule in place that the grand concourse leading to the elevated cta trains have to be accessible to the public 24/7 because before that area was built the public had access to the existing trains, so the rule holds. Security wouldn't let a random person walk into a setup of a trade show due to safety concerns, but you could walk by and get a peak inside the hall. Now, I have absolutely no idea what rules/restrictions are in place at the Annaheim Center, but it couldn't hurt to walk into the facility and try to take a peak. The worst that could happen is they don't let you in, or ask you to leave.

Alright -- here's your insider info. The show starts loading into the arena on Monday with the rest of the show loading in on Tueday. With the show starting on Thursday (I believe) that gives you 3 days of load in.

The really impressive part is the strike and load out. I invite anyone who is going to be at D23 to come into the arena a little early for daily shows and take a good look around...everything you see will be gone in 8-10 hrs. and it will be like we were never there!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom