D23 Membership

jlevis

I'm a member. I can't say that I've gotten much out of it. The magazine is a very slick production and has many interesting articles but it can be purchased at major book stores. There are member-only pins, tees and stuff but I've never purchased any. I'll probably renew but don't know why.

meekoman

Original Poster
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking too. The watch is nice, but if I want the magazine, I'll go to B & N for it.

jlevis

Joined first year; never renewed. Kinda sucked.

We all have different expectations for what we want from Disney. I'm 69 years old (or young) and consider myself well versed in Disney lore. I don't think I would say that D23 "sucked" rather it didn't meet my expectations. It obviously fills the expectations of many, many people.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I have been a member since day 1. Initially I was pretty pleased with the D23, over the past couple of quarters(the mag is quarterly) I had become very disenchanted with the whole thing. The mag had started to become too much of a commercial for whatever movie they happened to be releasing. The worst offender being the Tron based D23. I was just sick to death of it. Also, the "free gift" that was coming with each mag were becoming less and less unique.

I have also never been to a D23 event, I live in NJ, so its not practical to go.

So I was planning on canceling my membership this coming year. Or rather, just not renewing it. BUT, this last D23 mag was very very good. It was all about Disney history and WDW. Every single article was interesting, the pictures were great. It has me re-thinking my decision. If this is the kind of thing we can expect going forward, then I will re-up.

meekoman

Original Poster
I really miss the Magic Kingdom Club. It wasn't snooty, you got newsletters and more for a good price (or free). Of course, it was such a good thing that Disney had to cancel it for the Disney Club, which wasn't as good, but was better IMO than D23.

maelstrom

The magazine is NOT worth it; the Disney Magazine was way better. However, being able to attend the special events and purchase special merchandise is worth it. I joined last year in order to be able to attend Destination D in Disneyland and being able to see Marty Sklar, Tony Baxter, Alice Davis, X. Atencio, Bob Gurr, etc up close was more than worth it.

gljvd

I didn't renew , was ed that all the discounts you get as a member were for Disney Land and nothing for Disney World.

I wrote them a letter telling them why I wouldn't renew until they gave equal treatment

maelstrom

I didn't renew , was ed that all the discounts you get as a member were for Disney Land and nothing for Disney World.

I wrote them a letter telling them why I wouldn't renew until they gave equal treatment

They just had another Destination D event in WDW in May. :king:

gljvd

They just had another Destination D event in WDW in May. :king:

ITs hard to go to those when you live in NJ . DL has a ton of perks that can be used every day , DW has zero ... well unless you count house of blues.

THe magazine is okay but normaly is filled with advertising and most issues have very little history in them.

I guess everyone has diffrent tastes , rather spend that $80 or $90 a year on something else

maelstrom

ITs hard to go to those when you live in NJ . DL has a ton of perks that can be used every day , DW has zero ... well unless you count house of blues.

THe magazine is okay but normaly is filled with advertising and most issues have very little history in them.

I guess everyone has diffrent tastes , rather spend that $80 or $90 a year on something else

The trick is to plan your vacation around when an event is occurring. My last vacation happened to coincide with Destination D in Disneyland and I had no problem getting to California from New York. But, I suppose that's not for everyone.

I agree with you about the magazine.

MKCP 1985

Charter member here. :wave: I remember the Magic Kingdom club from way back in the day, with park ticket discounts and a quarterly magazine, so I was happy to sign up in hopes this will grow to be something more than it is or was on Day 1.

The economy stinks so every year is a real decision on whether to renew. Membership opens opportunities to special events that are really cool - unfortunately, I haven't been able to attend any so far, even though I did once get the free tickets for an event at the Contemporary hotel at WDW.

To answer the question honestly and fairly - it isn't for every Disney fan. If they don't expand it, I suspect they will lose more people through non-renewal than they will gain in new members, but don't know if that is true or not. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom