News D23 Expo 2019

Animaniac93-98

To revise an earlier point I made;

While Brazil may be a literal dumpster fire at the moment, Hong Kong isn't exactly fine either and they had no problem talking about that park's expansion like there's nothing wrong in the SAR right now.

Maybe they're saving Figment and Brazil for another press conference or D23 in 2021 closer to WDW's 50th where they can say "the celebration isn't over yet! Coming next year etc"?

Brian Swan

Nothing new for magic kingdom, animal kingdom, or Hollywood studios that I saw.

Everything they did announce has great potential but disappointed in what was not announced.
They did talk about M&MRR briefly, but nothing for AK than an off hand reference that the 50th celebration would be going on in all 4 parks.

Kman101

Exactly. I mean, don't get me wrong...I'm pretty bummed we didn't get some of the things we'd hoped for. And there were some extremely lame moments (Target, I'm looking at you) and the presentation itself left a lot to be desired...and I could go on. But on the bright side, we are getting a lot of new things over the next few years. It's just a let down that we didn't get the huge surprise we were all hoping for. I do have a feeling Disney is keeping some of their powder dry to counteract future announcements from Uni. Time will tell.

If they wanted to "counteract" they could have done so. They don't care to counteract and don't think they need to.

I appreciate the bright side but we've known all of this. It took them 4 years just to give us a name for TRON that we all already kinda knew? Same for showing off the marquee on the Chinese theater. Concept art for El CapiToon that could have been a blog post. Same for the parade.

It was just bizarre. It was simply hype and fluff.

This isn't being snarky but what did they *really* tell us today?

Kman101

Maybe they're saving Figment and Brazil for another press conference or D23 in 2021 closer to WDW's 50th where they can say "the celebration isn't over yet! Coming next year etc"?

That was my guess. But I feel like I'm wishful thinking at this point. Today was a massive let down. They could have at least thrown in a surprise.

And to Andrew C, it's not about not liking what was said. They danced around a lot of things, Bob and associates stuck to the buzz words and flashed some images to make it feel like we were really getting something. We didn't. Of course if you take out what we all already know, I'm sure many people came away with a different feeling.

It's tough sometimes knowing what's going (and what's not) to happen. I think we all kind of suffer from it sort of and that's probably at the root of the let down for a lot of people. That and the entire panel just felt thrown together like a hot mess. I just see through a lot of it now I guess. Others aren't at that point yet.

EDIT: And yeah, we did get a few details and obviously new to us concept art. But they really drop the ball a lot. IMO.

bclane

If they wanted to "counteract" they could have done so. They don't care to counteract and don't think they need to.

I appreciate the bright side but we've known all of this. It took them 4 years just to give us a name for TRON that we all already kinda knew? Same for showing off the marquee on the Chinese theater. Concept art for El CapiToon that could have been a blog post. Same for the parade.

Yeah, they didn't tell us a whole lot since we've heard most of it already from our insiders and other reports. It probably felt like a lot for the more casual fan though.

Kman101

This crackpot story about recent political issues delaying the Brazil announcement that some "insiders" are using right now to try to save their credibilities is a complete joke. These are the same people who yesterday were swearing up and down it was happening.

Brazil backed out MONTHS AGO. Only reason I thought it was still possible and kept mentioning it as part of my D23 Expo predictions is there was the possibility (and still is) of Disney paying for it. But we know how hard it is for these things to get approved these days.

Spill that tea! ;)

But yeah. I knew they'd all be backtracking. Have they pulled out the "it was pulled at last minute" yet?

Sue_Vongello

Yeah, they didn't tell us a whole lot since we've heard most of it already from our insiders and other reports. It probably felt like a lot for the more casual fan though.

But do “casual fans” go to D23 and wait hours to get into that presentation? So the point is that most of those people in that room are in the same boat as us ... they know all that too ...

Kman101

Yeah man. I was floored by it. Every second they showed was amazing. The light saber effect alone looked impossible to actually pull off. If that is really how it's gonna look, I may have a heart attack on the ride from the pure excitement.

I hope it comes even close to that. I know a lot gets embellished to look good in a sizzle reel, but holy cow that looked amazing. I can't wait for it. They have a lot to live up to with this one, IMHO. I got goosebumps with that and with the new EPCOT theme (yeah I'm weird). I know the purists hate it but I thought it was beautiful. But I do agree thinking back on it it did kind of sound like funeral music lol.

bubbles1812

That’s all D23 has ever really been.

And as far as “we’ve known known all this”... who is the we in this case? This board and really any Disney board still represents a small portion of Disney fans. Most don’t spend weeks/months/years speculating on what’s coming, helped along by insiders.

Certainly more casual Disney fans (of which there are probably many more than super fans) didn’t know all these things. We just spoiled ourselves with the details in advance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom