Rumor D23 Expo 2019 expected announcements

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Or... maybe they're doing something with it in Shanghai because it's the top grossing movie in China and it's actually popular over there? I mean, there's been so much merchandise here in the US flying off the... oh wait...

The movie is an afterthought here. Bottom line. I don't care if you want to quote it's worldwide box office take. It made $341 million here in the US. It's all-time adjusted gross isn't even in the top 175. There's a hard-core (and I mean HARD-core) few who love it. Outside of that, there's really, truly not much to support a ride, let alone an entire land somewhere.

I'm not getting sucked any further into this abyss.

wdwfan4ver

That's like saying in 2014 Disney won't be making a Star Wars Land because "if TWDC saw money in doing it, they'd already have done it." PLEASE lol Zootopia is only a few years old and there's a massive queue of expansion projects. These things take time to develop, they were developing the Runaway Railway 4 years before it was announced. Especially in WDW there are several other factors such as crowd capacity with Galaxy's Edge that could make doing the Zootopia project cost-prohibitive short term and therefore they're starting with Shanghai (like Tron). Stop making conclusive statements you can't back up, you're not Bob Iger (at least as far as I know 🤣).
Actually you are way off mentioning Zootopia to Star Wars. Back in 2014, the insiders in this site actually mentioned about Star Wars Land going DHS. The only ones in 2014 that denied that are the ones that don't trust proven insiders this site had at the time or had a agenda against Bob Iger or Disney in general . I said against Bob Iger or Disney in general because there was member on this forum called Ford91exploder and he claimed Star Wars Land was not going to open even after Disney Announced it.

Zootopia on the other hand had insiders claimed the land is go to Shanghai, not AK. Those insiders said that even before Disney announced Zootopia for Shanghai.

DeletedAccount55555

Or... maybe they're doing something with it in Shanghai because it's the top grossing movie in China and it's actually popular over there? I mean, there's been so much merchandise here in the US flying off the... oh wait...

The movie is an afterthought here. Bottom line. I don't care if you want to quote it's worldwide box office take. It made $341 million here in the US. It's all-time adjusted gross isn't even in the top 175. There's a hard-core (and I mean HARD-core) few who love it. Outside of that, there's really, truly not much to support a ride, let alone an entire land somewhere.

I'm not getting sucked any further into this abyss.

Respectfully, worldwide box office would matter considering Disney World attracts international guests.

I'm not saying this person you're arguing with is right, but the box office IS empirical evidence of its popularity. You're replying with theories and opinions (merchandise isn't selling well, "movie is an afterthought here").

justintheharris

It won't happen, because if TWDC saw money in doing it, they'd already have done it.
And there's the worst defense of why Zootopia won't happen. So nobody has said anything regarding the five things I initially laid out. The only things I hear people presenting as fact against a Zootopia expansion
  1. I hate Zootopia. I hate IP in parks. Disney needs to stop IP in parks.
  2. Zootopia makes no sense in Animal Kingdom. Yes, Disney calls me every day and asks for my opinion and will not do anything I don't think makes any sense.
  3. I hate Bob Iger.
  4. Disney won't make any money. The IP is too old (Please forget Disney announced three months ago that Shanghai is getting Zootopia) They should do Jungle Book instead. It's -49 years newer than Zootopia!
  5. Did I mention I hate Bob Iger and his quest to include IPs in the parks and it makes no sense in Animal Kingdom?
You have everything (other than an insider's word) to indicate Zootopia is a very likely thing for Animal Kingdom within the next 10 years. Everybody keeps wanting to bring up how much they hate they idea when MouseBrayden and I are not trying to give you our opinions as much as we are trying to give you the line of thinking of WDW executives and the mere fact that we have numerous indirect indications from Disney that they are looking at Rafiki's Planet Watch and exploring a Zootopia expansion. As I said in one of my initial posts,

1. Zootopia is a very popular movie without representation in the parks. It apparently has sequels in development.
  2. Rafiki's Planet Watch has gone seasonal. Carousel of Progress is the only attraction to have gone seasonal and come back from it. Clearly Disney is interested in getting rid of it in the near future.
  3. Zootopia got announced for Shanghai Disneyland. Zootopia performed very well in China and I believe their opening is a test run.
  4. Animal Kingdom has few options for children or dark rides. Zootopia would likely fit both bills.
  5. Animal Kingdom is currently the only park without a major expansion on the way. Yes, we're still fairly off the heels of Avatar but soon they'll be looking for the park's next big project.

All five of these you can look up and verify for yourself. Is it certain Zootopia will appear in Animal Kingdom? Of course not. Do I think it's very likely? Taking into consideration the facts above, yes. I do.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
To get the conversation back on track instead of letting the Mickey Views kid derail another thread with his finger-wagging.

My wishful thinking announcements:

In general: More on the 50th, maybe even opening time frames announced for attractions opening in 2020?

DHS: RnR retheme. I don't see Disney announcing anything in regards to Animation Courtyard/Pixar because can the park really afford to lose any space in the first six months to a year after SW:GE opens? Especially with MMRR being delayed.

Epcot: Coco taking over Gran Fiesta tour. New WS pavilion or attraction to existing pavilion. More on IllumiNations replacement and Play Pavilion.

MK: Revamp of Carousel of Progress with new host voice and updated final scene.

DAK: Ice Age taking over DinoLand.

Resort-wide: Extension of Skyliner? Concept art of Reflections pool paying tribute to River Country?

Not bad... but "Ice Age"? Definitely not one for my wishful-thinking list. Dinoland sure could use an overhaul though.

DeletedAccount55555

Not bad... but "Ice Age"? Definitely not one for my wishful-thinking list. Dinoland sure could use an overhaul though.

Wishful thinking was a poor choice of words. More like educated guesses.

Considering this is the first D23 after the Fox deal, I think Disney has to show its shareholders that it’s taking advantage of some newly-acquired Fox IP in the parks.

wdwfan4ver

Since I did my predictions on January 11th, Disney already announced some of the stuff I mentioned such as Zootopia for Shanghai and the Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway. I don't see Disney announcing anything else for Disneyland at this D23 although one would expect a Frozen ride at some point in that park since other Disney resorts have or will be having Frozen theme rides.

Right now, I think Disney needs to answer what the attractions are going to be for some lands or Pavilions for Disney theme parks Worldwide. I am referring to stuff the Play Pavilion for Epcot. Disney announced Play Pavilion, but didn't announce any attractions yet. The same thing is true with Zootpia for Shanghai.

My concern is Disney announced a lot of stuff for Epcot since January 11th and that does not leave a for announcements in terms of Epcot before stuff opens. The other thing is I think WDW has to thin on construction crews right now. Mickey's trackless ride is behind schedule. If Disney is doing another Epcot announcement, it either is a Mary Poppins attraction or a Brazil Pavilion.

The other thing thing possibly is replacement for Stitch's great escape.

justintheharris

I'm fully away of Disney's trend of replicating parks and Lands way before you mentioned it. The catch is I trust the true Disney insiders on this site such as marni1971 also.
I trust them too. But they're not the end-all-be-all either. They have a very difficult role relaying information that is always changing and they perform to the best of their ability. But with that being said, they are not always 100% correct and with a Zootopia expansion being far out (like 5 years) and everything else going on, it's likely that Disney has it on the back burner but in the cards.

justintheharris

Since I did my predictions on January 11th, Disney already announced some of the stuff I mentioned such as Zootopia for Shanghai and the Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway. I don't see Disney announcing anything else for Disneyland at this D23 although one would expect a Frozen ride at some point in that park since other Disney resorts have or will be having Frozen theme rides.

Right now, I think Disney needs to answer what the attractions are going to be for some lands or Pavilions for Disney theme parks Worldwide. I am referring to stuff the Play Pavilion for Epcot. Disney announced Play Pavilion, but didn't announce any attractions yet. The same thing is true with Zootpia for Shanghai.

My concern is Disney announced a lot of stuff for Epcot since January 11th and that does not leave a for announcements in terms of Epcot before stuff opens. The other thing is I think WDW has to thin on construction crews right now. Mickey's trackless ride is behind schedule. If Disney is doing another Epcot announcement, it either is a Mary Poppins attraction or a Brazil Pavilion.

The other thing thing possibly is replacement for Stitch's great escape.
As far as I've observed, there won't be any attractions in there. It will essentially be a playground.

WDW Guru

I think Disney has to show its shareholders that it’s taking advantage of some newly-acquired Fox IP in the parks.

No they don't. I doubt the shareholders care 1 bit if there isn't a single Fox IP inserted into the parks in the next 10 years. That's not why the acquisition was made.

DeletedAccount55555

No they don't. I doubt the shareholders care 1 bit if there isn't a single Fox IP inserted into the parks in the next 10 years. That's not why the acquisition was made.

When did I say it was THE reason the acquisition was made? Oh, right, I didn't.

You seriously think shareholders don't care about one of Disney's most profitable divisions taking advantage, in some form, of assets it took $71 billion to acquire?

No, no, silly me, it was all just about getting The Simpsons on Disney+. Of course. They wouldn't want synergy, giant media corporations hate that.

WDW Guru

You seriously think shareholders don't care about one of Disney's most profitable divisions taking advantage, in some form, of assets it took $71 billion to acquire?

No, no, silly me, it was all just about getting The Simpsons on Disney+. Of course. They wouldn't want synergy, giant media corporations hate that.

Don't think so. What makes the Disney Parks brand so strong IS the Disney brand. If they find a place where a Fox IP fits I'm sure they wil take advantage of their new acquisition, but they have no need to force a Fox IP in since it would do nothing for the numbers.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Wishful thinking was a poor choice of words. More like educated guesses.

Considering this is the first D23 after the Fox deal, I think Disney has to show its shareholders that it’s taking advantage of some newly-acquired Fox IP in the parks.

Except it has been stated that main reason the Fox assets were acquired was for streaming content purposes.

BTW - I think some of your "wishful thinking announcements" could be fairly accurate, like things for MK for the 50th, Epcot's interim and permanent successors to Illuminations, a new WS pavilion, and more info on Reflections. I don't see an extension of the Skyliner, but perhaps something connecting AKL & Kidani to AK? That would be long overdue.

MouseBrayden

Mad talk from the guy saying I’m the one “derailing the discussion” and finger wagging lol.

justintheharris

Don't think so. What makes the Disney Parks brand so strong IS the Disney brand. If they find a place where a Fox IP fits I'm sure they wil take advantage of their new acquisition, but they have no need to force a Fox IP in since it would do nothing for the numbers.
A Fox IP tie in would do nothing for the numbers? Wow. What a statement

More importantly, it's funny you say that the Disney Parks brand is so strong due to the Disney brand despite everyone freaking out that Disney is integrating their own IPs into EPCOT and taking out non-Disney IPs in Hollywood Studios (minus Star Wars) to be replaced with their own.

wdwfan4ver

I know a married couple that are very minor Disney Stock Holders. They do care about WDW, but Fox IPS don't mean a thing to them from a theme park standpoint. They have their gripes and do think DHS is not prepared for Star Wars Galaxies Edge crowds.

The big stock holders don't care about theme park content as much you expect. What the major stock holders care about is the bottom line the Disney parks and resorts has from a profit standpoint. They only care about profit, nothing else.

The best way to put it is Bob Iger neglected Universe of Energy before 2017 D23. The Ellen version of Universe of Energy opened in September of 1996 after it was decided that Universe of Energy needed an update. The fact that attraction was not updated or replaced for almost 21 years was a disgrace because the nature of the Ellen version of Universe Energy needed to be updated in 2006 or 2007. I remember the Ellen version of Universe of Energy being very popular in Summer of 1997 with the vehicles all being full. The catch is that attractions popularity declined in time and one would expect Stockholders to be demanding a replacement or an upgrade by 2009.

Another example of big stock holders not caring about theme parks as much you expect is TDO turned down Monsters Inc. Door Coaster as an expansion to the now defunct Pixar Place. Monsters Inc. Door Coaster was needed at the time it was considered, but TDO didn't want it. The time frame was around 2007 or 2008. I gave this as example of stock holders not caring about the parks as much as you expect is Monster Inc. Door Coaster would be increasing the amount of guests wanting to go to DHS. The Monsters Inc. Door Coaster was supposed to be located in the building that is being used currently for Toy Story Midway Mania's 3rd track.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom