D23 Disneyland/DCA Predictions!

Sharon&Susan

You forgot Kathleen Kennedy addressing a trillion nerds in embarrassing Star Wars costumes.
6E377DE8-0ADE-43FA-BBE8-78D6AEE4C787.jpeg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Plus, it gets people to discover and read “The Wind in the Willows,” one of the greatest books ever written. :D

Come back to reality, you know very well that Toad's doesn't make anyone younger than 45 want to read or even watch The Wind in the Willows.... ;):p:cool:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Anastasia welcomed to Disney Princesses©.

Living With the Sea's new Titanic ride

MK's Space Mountain finally getting an overhaul, and a Furturama IP.

Chip and Dale and Alvin and the Chipmunks' Dance Party

Coming to DAK: Zootopia with Fantastic Mr. Fox replacing Nick Wilde, and an Ice Age land and a Planet of the Apes Land

New overlay for Test Track: Dude, Where's My Car

Gran Fiesta finally gets it's Day of the Day Overlay thanks to Book of Life

Rich T

Come back to reality, you know very well that Toad's doesn't make anyone younger than 45 want to read or even watch The Wind in the Willows.... ;):p:cool:
It points a (very) few Disney-loving guests toward a literary classic they might have otherwise ignored. It’s more than Big Thunder can claim. :D

Ok, I know I’m not the only one here (or out there) who’s read The Wind in the Willows because of Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride. Right? Hello? Anyone?

Last edited:

mickEblu

Anyway I would worry about Storybookland before I ever worry about Toad. Their would be absolutely zero benefit to remove Toad. The Storybookland rides on the other hand have very low capacity, take up a good chunk of real estate and are not IP rides (in the modern sense of the term). Of course they would be idiots to ever consider removing Casey Jr and the Canal boats but I wouldn’t put it past them.

Last edited:

mickEblu

It points a (very) few Disney-loving guests toward a literary classic they might have otherwise ignored. It’s more than Big Thunder can claim. :D

Ok, I know I’m not the only one here (or out there) who’s read The Wind in the Wilows because of Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride. Right? Hello? Anyone?

I actually think I read the book in elementary school before ever riding Toad but I think what made me want to read the book was watching The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad on the Disney Channel.

SuddenStorm

Anastasia welcomed to Disney Princesses©.

Living With the Sea's new Titanic ride

MK's Space Mountain finally getting an overhaul, and a Furturama IP.

Chip and Dale and Alvin and the Chipmunks' Dance Party

Coming to DAK: Zootopia with Fantastic Mr. Fox replacing Nick Wilde, and an Ice Age land and a Planet of the Apes Land

New overlay for Test Track: Dude, Where's My Car

Gran Fiesta finally gets it's Day of the Day Overlay thanks to Book of Life

Excellent predictions, but what are your Disneyland/DCA ones?

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Ok, I know I’m not the only one here (or out there) who’s read The Wind in the Wilows because of Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride. Right? Hello? Anyone?

I think it might just be you. ;)

I actually think I read the book in elementary school before ever riding Toad but I think what made me want to read the book was watching The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad on the Disney Channel.

I read both stories in school before I ever went on Toads. And I too watched it on Disney Channel before I read both stories.

Speaking of which why did we never get a Sleepy Hollow attraction?

Rich T

I think it might just be you. ;)

I read both stories in school before I ever went on Toads. And I too watched it on Disney Channel before I read both stories.

Speaking of which why did we never get a Sleepy Hollow attraction?
Sleepy Hollow was apparently considered in the DL planning stages, but dropped.

BTW, I also read Alice and Tom Sawyer mainly because of DL. :D

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Sleepy Hollow was apparently considered in the DL planning stages, but dropped.

BTW, I also read Alice and Tom Sawyer mainly because of DL. :D

I think you are the first person I know of that got a reading list from Disneyland attractions lol.

I'm surprised you didn't say something like PotC got you to read Treasure Island. ;):p:cool:

Rich T

I think you are the first person I know of that got a reading list from Disneyland attractions lol.

I'm surprised you didn't say something like PotC got you to read Treasure Island. ;):p:cool:
No, I read Treasure Island because of the Disney movie. :D
(EDIT) Same with Peter Pan and Pinocchio.
(EDIT) And Jungle Book.
(EDIT) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, the Mary Poppins books, the Darby O'Gill stories...

jrhwdw

That other site has M&MRR for D23(first I heard about DL M&MRR!)

The site also mentioned something about Pyro next year?

Franklin47disneyguy

- MMRRW for toontown
- Frozen ride, be our guest restaurant for FL
- New Tomorrowland
- Marvelland phase 1
- Pixar Pier phase 2
- Eastern gateway
- New hotel's
- New parking structure

Phroobar

No, I read Treasure Island because of the Disney movie. :D
(EDIT) Same with Peter Pan and Pinocchio.
(EDIT) And Jungle Book.
(EDIT) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, the Mary Poppins books, the Darby O'Gill stories...
How did you like the Mary Poppins books? I haven't read that series yet.

Rich T

How did you like the Mary Poppins books? I haven't read that series yet.
They're great... and WEIRD as heck in a good way. BUT... they are very repetitive and formulaic. There is no way on Earth to make a good movie out of them as written. Disney did an ingenious job of turning the basic premise into a great film while keeping as much of the detail intact as possible.

The problem is that the books are extremely episodic and have no real overarching plot thread. Mary Poppins shows up, takes the kids on adventures, and leaves. And every adventure is one chapter long: The books seem purposefully written to be read aloud at bedtime to kids. Each adventure follows the exact same pattern: 1) Mary Poppins takes the kids out (or goes out at night by herself and the kids sneak after her to see what she's up to) 2) Something magical happens 3) Afterward, Mary Poppins denies it ever happened 4) The kids notice some detail (like a stray feather) that confirms to them that the adventure did, in fact, happen. Every single time.

Every now and then, a chapter will deal entirely with a story Mary tells (like the Cat and the King story that was made into a short film).

So, yeah, unfilmable in their original forms. But really surreal, out-there and unlike anything else. At times it's satirical and laugh-out-loud funny, at times it's very deep and melancholy in its views of mortality and the passage of time, and at times really horrifying--Mary Poppins does a couple of very cruel, evil things to a couple of characters she really doesn't like.

Poppins is extremely vain in the stories. The movie touches on this, but in the books it's really over the top. Also, wherever they go in the fantasy worlds, everyone knows her and adores her and seems to have known her for centuries. You almost get the feeling she's a personified force of nature.

The first book is definitely the best--all the following volumes basically copy the formula. But all the books contain at least a couple of amazing, unforgettable chapters. Check them out sometime; it's definitely worth it. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom