D23 2022: More Epic than Universal?

ThemeParkPriest

Original Poster
I believe that the D23 Convention is the most exciting planned announcement of theme parks in the industry. We are fast approaching the 2022 D23 Convention on September 9-11. Certainly rumors will be circulating prior to the event, so there's certainly a place on the Forums for that. But I think there's also an opportunity for Armchair Imagineering.

Universal is working on adding their 3rd Orlando theme park (fwiw I call Volcano Bay a water park). One possible Imagineering prompt, which has been done before, would be to come up with the 5th gate for WDW. However, it looks unlikely that Disney will announce a 5th gate at D23.

More likely, Disney will try to "plus" its current 4 parks perhaps with one new major offering at each park. So my question is the following: If Disney were to announce one new attraction for each WDW park at D23, what should those projects be?

For me, I think there's 2 things that Disney should for sure announce (I'll need to brainstorm more on the two other parks). The first is that Disney should announce a replacement to Chester and Hester's Dino-rama at Animal Kingdom. I think an IP would be the biggest boost to this part of the park, so I would go with an Ice Age family coaster. It could be probably something like Big Thunder Mountain in style with some set pieces and Audio Animatronics to better tell a story. Alternatively, Disney could go ahead and double down on Indiana Jones (with the upcoming movie) and theme an excavation coaster. If they go that route, it might be time to re-theme Dinosaur to Indiana Jones.

Secondly, Disney should announce a Colombia pavilion with an Encanto Casa Ride at Epcot. It makes a lot of sense due to how popular the movie was. It seems to be a pretty natural fit for World Showcase, which could still use some new attractions/countries even after the addition of Ratatouille.

Like I said, I'll give more thought to Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I believe that the D23 Convention is the most exciting planned announcement of theme parks in the industry. We are fast approaching the 2022 D23 Convention on September 9-11. Certainly rumors will be circulating prior to the event, so there's certainly a place on the Forums for that. But I think there's also an opportunity for Armchair Imagineering.

Universal is working on adding their 3rd Orlando theme park (fwiw I call Volcano Bay a water park). One possible Imagineering prompt, which has been done before, would be to come up with the 5th gate for WDW. However, it looks unlikely that Disney will announce a 5th gate at D23.

More likely, Disney will try to "plus" its current 4 parks perhaps with one new major offering at each park. So my question is the following: If Disney were to announce one new attraction for each WDW park at D23, what should those projects be?

For me, I think there's 2 things that Disney should for sure announce (I'll need to brainstorm more on the two other parks). The first is that Disney should announce a replacement to Chester and Hester's Dino-rama at Animal Kingdom. I think an IP would be the biggest boost to this part of the park, so I would go with an Ice Age family coaster. It could be probably something like Big Thunder Mountain in style with some set pieces and Audio Animatronics to better tell a story. Alternatively, Disney could go ahead and double down on Indiana Jones (with the upcoming movie) and theme an excavation coaster. If they go that route, it might be time to re-theme Dinosaur to Indiana Jones.

Secondly, Disney should announce a Colombia pavilion with an Encanto Casa Ride at Epcot. It makes a lot of sense due to how popular the movie was. It seems to be a pretty natural fit for World Showcase, which could still use some new attractions/countries even after the addition of Ratatouille.

I like to see Roger Rabbit's Hollywood is getting revival to replace Rock N' Roller Coaster (which connected to Animation Courtyard) with Red Car Trolley Line to finally be added for DHS if Roger Rabbit sequel was planning soon...

MickeyMouse10

I like to see Roger Rabbit's Hollywood is getting revival to replace Rock N' Roller Coaster (which connected to Animation Courtyard) with Red Car Trolley Line to finally be added for DHS if Roger Rabbit sequel was planning soon...

arrivederci-clipart-4.png

ThemeParkPriest

Original Poster
Well, Rock N Roller Coaster is probably going to be re-themed but I don’t think that would classify as a big improvement.

ThemeParkPriest

Original Poster
You know, it’s difficult to come up with a Hollywood Studios ride/land due to some restrictions. There are the challenges with Marvel; certainly there are other IPs than the ones set aside for Epcot (Guardians and Black Panther), but if you commit to one ride, you have to commit to another “campus.” Zootopia won’t be coming to the States anytime soon due to the 5-year exclusivity clause with Shanghai. Pixar seems like a logical choice but between lackluster performances at the box office and movies that are slated for Epcot (Encanto and maybe Luca), there’s not a clear-cut choice. So since I only had it as an alternate at Animal Kingdom, I’ll predict that Indiana Jones gets its first ride at Walt Disney World—an EMV adventure with a different layout than the other parks and with state-of-the-art projection mapping and special effects!

WazHatter08

For Epcot, I think some sort of new World Showcase Pavilion and/or attraction is due… I’d love to see the Japan Pavilion get some love like the Mt Fuji Coaster they were planning back in the day

For MK, Tron will likely be enough but I would love to see some sort of Stitch’s Great Escape Replacement, like maybe a Wreck It Ralph Sugar Rush Roller Coaster, that’d be cool

DAK will likely be getting an update in this one, and DinoLand NEEDS a replacement announced. I love the Ride Dinosaur, but the land now just feels out of place, and Dinosaur can always just become a stand alone attraction

DHS, I REALLY want a Muppet Boulevard expansion. It’s a fantastic little land and I would love to see it shown some love by adding a new attraction, either a Gonzo ride or maybe even a Fozzie Bear Comedy Show, or a Cooking Class With Chef, or A Interactive Game Show With Pepe or Muppet Movie Ride…

ThemeParkPriest

Original Poster
For Epcot, I think some sort of new World Showcase Pavilion and/or attraction is due… I’d love to see the Japan Pavilion get some love like the Mt Fuji Coaster they were planning back in the day
It is better now with Ratatouille but it's disappointing that Mary Poppins was removed from the green light status (but understandable due to Covid). I think Colombia seems the most likely and then Mary Poppins. I would be surprised if something like Mt. Fuji Coaster getting greenlit, especially since the most recent addition to Epcot was a coaster.
For MK, Tron will likely be enough but I would love to see some sort of Stitch’s Great Escape Replacement, like maybe a Wreck It Ralph Sugar Rush Roller Coaster, that’d be cool
Agreed that Stitch has been sitting there for too long. It's too small for a coaster. Plus Tron is under construction. A Pixar replacement seems possible, but I wouldn't know where to go with that.
DAK will likely be getting an update in this one, and DinoLand NEEDS a replacement announced. I love the Ride Dinosaur, but the land now just feels out of place, and Dinosaur can always just become a stand alone attraction
Besides Ice Age or maybe Indiana Jones, I'm not sure what else would become of the land.
DHS, I REALLY want a Muppet Boulevard expansion. It’s a fantastic little land and I would love to see it shown some love by adding a new attraction, either a Gonzo ride or maybe even a Fozzie Bear Comedy Show, or a Cooking Class With Chef, or A Interactive Game Show With Pepe or Muppet Movie Ride…
Yeah, I think there's a lot of Muppet fans out there and they're staying relevant. Your suggestions would almost be more of a classical MGM Studios addition. It seems like the park is going more into immersion than Studios, so something like a Fraggle Rock dark ride would be more the type (if it was still popular).

DisneyManOne

This. Absolutely this. I have wanted this ever since I saw Encanto for the first time. And frankly, given that it's fast becoming a Frozen-esque juggernaut, I'll be surprised if it doesn't get its own attraction at some point in the next five years. I mean, Frozen Ever After was announced in September of 2014, nearly a year since the film first came to theaters; so maybe we'll get some news for an attraction soon?

Parker41056

Agree, the more likely announcements at D23 and beyond is to plus their parks as a 5th park is still years down the road. Here' are some of my ideas to plus each park that will bring in a lot of demand.

Magic Kingdom: Create a a large Villians Land expansion behind It's a small world. Area could include a Bald Mountain hanging coaster or Maleficent castle attraction, a Villians stage show and a dark ride showcasing the Disney Villians throughout the years. Land would have a table service and a few quick eats along with a Massine gift shop. I think this land would bring so much hype to the park. If you wanted to get crazy, add a small boutique themed hotel at the back of the park along Floridian Way with special access to the Villans area.

More realistic option would be to continue Tomorrow land overhaul. re-skin Tomorrowland Speedway to all electric experience with a new light package and add an indoor section. Also, finish Stitch area. Another people eater would be to bring back the Main Street Theatre project. This could be a rotating show with anew offering each year.

Animal Kingdom: I think the park needs multiple additions. Just replacing Primevil doesn't add any net attractions. I am on board for a large scale overhaul of Dinloand. I think Dinosaur can stay, but needs major upgrades and also add an outdoor section in the back. Where Primevil Whirl was, this can be a new Jungle Book/India area. Create an E-ticket attraction using Pirates Shanghai tech. The park also need a major night time show.

Other ideas would be to reskin Dinoland to Indy and where does Zootopia fit in. Also, how can DAK actually have a Disney park without an attraction based on the King of the Jungle. A pride rock icon with a large scale dark ride would be awesome. I can also see a third attraction or at least updated video for Pandora.

EPCOT: Love the Columbian Pavilion with Encanto Casa attraction. This could be styled after Mystic Manor type of attraction. Would be cool if this attraction had a lift system like ROTR that elevates riders to second or third floor of the house. Other ideas would be a new Soarin' video, upgrades to Figment and anew large attraction between the Land and seas Pavilion.

Hollywood Studios: I know a lot has been invested over the past few years but the parks still need more. I would double down on the appeal of Star Wars and add an Speed Bike Coaster in GE. Coaster would have some parts of the attraction that zips throughout the land creating some kinetic energy but other parts of the attraction would be indoor scenes with props and awesome light package.

After that, the park has many different angles that it could take. I like the idea of adding an Indy attraction next to the show and convert some of the parking lot for this new offering. Toy Story could add another attraction like a Lincoln Log Flume. I think all of Animator Courtyard is prime for a East Coast version of Pixar Pier. I also, think Disney needs to get aggressive with the Marvel rights and pay Universal whatever to get them to give up the contract and then construct a massive Marvel land at the end of Sunset Blvd. makes too much sense.

Outside the park
, they have an opportunity to reskin Blizzard Beach with an Ice Age overlay. Need to add a news state of the art water coaster and I think the appeal would be very popular.

Summary
: These additions would be akin to opening a new park without some of the infrastructure barriers. If you combined these in a new park it would equate too: Villians Land with multiple attractions, Indy E ticket, Columbian Land Casa Attraction, Jungle book land E-ticket boat ride, SW Speed Bike Coaster and a Marvels Land (crossing fingers). These could be staggered out over a few year and all of these would have massive appeal. These won't be cheap but I do think it would be a great answer to EPIC.

Suchomimus

Short of E-Tickets and household names like Encanto or Star Wars, all 4 existing parks need smaller rides and attractions to cope with capacity, especially at H.S., which has just one flat ride to its name.

I think an IP would be the biggest boost to this part of the park, so I would go with an Ice Age family coaster. It could be probably something like Big Thunder Mountain in style with some set pieces and Audio Animatronics to better tell a story.
Genting Skyworlds (once called Fox World Malaysia) actually has such a thing (sort of) with Acorn Adventure.

This. Absolutely this. I have wanted this ever since I saw Encanto for the first time. And frankly, given that it's fast becoming a Frozen-esque juggernaut, I'll be surprised if it doesn't get its own attraction at some point in the next five years. I mean, Frozen Ever After was announced in September of 2014, nearly a year since the film first came to theaters; so maybe we'll get some news for an attraction soon?
I have to wonder if the international parks might get it first, since it made more overseas than it did domestically. Though rumors insist that Tarzan’s Treehouse might be rethemed to Antonio’s Treehouse.

ThemeParkPriest

Original Poster
Agree, the more likely announcements at D23 and beyond is to plus their parks as a 5th park is still years down the road. Here' are some of my ideas to plus each park that will bring in a lot of demand.

Magic Kingdom: Create a a large Villians Land expansion behind It's a small world. Area could include a Bald Mountain hanging coaster or Maleficent castle attraction, a Villians stage show and a dark ride showcasing the Disney Villians throughout the years. Land would have a table service and a few quick eats along with a Massine gift shop. I think this land would bring so much hype to the park. If you wanted to get crazy, add a small boutique themed hotel at the back of the park along Floridian Way with special access to the Villans area.

More realistic option would be to continue Tomorrow land overhaul. re-skin Tomorrowland Speedway to all electric experience with a new light package and add an indoor section. Also, finish Stitch area. Another people eater would be to bring back the Main Street Theatre project. This could be a rotating show with anew offering each year.

Animal Kingdom: I think the park needs multiple additions. Just replacing Primevil doesn't add any net attractions. I am on board for a large scale overhaul of Dinloand. I think Dinosaur can stay, but needs major upgrades and also add an outdoor section in the back. Where Primevil Whirl was, this can be a new Jungle Book/India area. Create an E-ticket attraction using Pirates Shanghai tech. The park also need a major night time show.

Other ideas would be to reskin Dinoland to Indy and where does Zootopia fit in. Also, how can DAK actually have a Disney park without an attraction based on the King of the Jungle. A pride rock icon with a large scale dark ride would be awesome. I can also see a third attraction or at least updated video for Pandora.

EPCOT: Love the Columbian Pavilion with Encanto Casa attraction. This could be styled after Mystic Manor type of attraction. Would be cool if this attraction had a lift system like ROTR that elevates riders to second or third floor of the house. Other ideas would be a new Soarin' video, upgrades to Figment and anew large attraction between the Land and seas Pavilion.

Hollywood Studios: I know a lot has been invested over the past few years but the parks still need more. I would double down on the appeal of Star Wars and add an Speed Bike Coaster in GE. Coaster would have some parts of the attraction that zips throughout the land creating some kinetic energy but other parts of the attraction would be indoor scenes with props and awesome light package.

After that, the park has many different angles that it could take. I like the idea of adding an Indy attraction next to the show and convert some of the parking lot for this new offering. Toy Story could add another attraction like a Lincoln Log Flume. I think all of Animator Courtyard is prime for a East Coast version of Pixar Pier. I also, think Disney needs to get aggressive with the Marvel rights and pay Universal whatever to get them to give up the contract and then construct a massive Marvel land at the end of Sunset Blvd. makes too much sense.

Outside the park, they have an opportunity to reskin Blizzard Beach with an Ice Age overlay. Need to add a news state of the art water coaster and I think the appeal would be very popular.

Summary: These additions would be akin to opening a new park without some of the infrastructure barriers. If you combined these in a new park it would equate too: Villians Land with multiple attractions, Indy E ticket, Columbian Land Casa Attraction, Jungle book land E-ticket boat ride, SW Speed Bike Coaster and a Marvels Land (crossing fingers). These could be staggered out over a few year and all of these would have massive appeal. These won't be cheap but I do think it would be a great answer to EPIC.
Yeah, very interesting ideas. Villains Land definitely has some interest; might they save it for a 5th gate? Hard to know. Jungle Book has had limited involvement at Animal Kingdom, which is a bit odd. But yeah, Animal Kingdom could use a nighttime show. As for Pandora, Disney might be waiting to see how the next movie does. Hollywood Studios: I agree that another ride at Galaxy's Edge would increase the hype for the park. I'm guessing there will be some big announcement for Marvel--but it remains to be seen if Disney will make another "campus" as they've done at the 3 other parks around the world.

ThemeParkPriest

Original Poster
Animal Kingdom isn't the only place you can experience Avatar.

Although I don't think an indoor walk-through attraction is coming to Animal Kingdom, there's the potential of having something like that in Hong Kong or Shanghai (where the climate can be really harsh).

Edit: Old video expired

Last edited:

ThemeParkPriest

Original Poster
Here are some things that Jack mentioned in the DSNY Newscast Livestream for potential 2023 announcements:

Tarzan’s Treehouse retheming (Encanto)
Avatar replacing Star Wars Land at DLP
Dinoland USA replacement: Jungle Book (less likely: Up, Ice Age)
Journey into Imagination update
Fireworks: Disneyland and Happily Ever After (WDW)
Qwinjet at Disneyland
Disneyland Tomorrowland Revamp: People Mover?

Disney Dad 3000

My predictions for tomorrow at wdw relatively tame with 1 shocker:

- Tiana/Moana/Tron updates (obvious)
- PLAY pavilion back in play at Epcot
- Encanto show replacing VotLM at DHS
- SWGE restaurant originally planned gets greenlit
- Surprise new land at AK with 2 attractions (not zootopia) though I won't be shocked when they simply announce a flat ride for Dino Rama to replace PW

Think these are in the long term/blue sky plans, but they save for '24 to go announcement crazy like '19 and maybe take some of the EU marketing buzz after a few movies come out:

- 3rd attraction at WoA
- Skyliner expansion
- Indy ride/land at DHS
- new Resort

Evilgidgit

Might as well throw my hat into the prediction ring. I suspect it will mostly be updates on things, Disney are still in a recovery period from Covid, so any major mindblowing announcements for the 100th anniversary will be unlikely.

--Standard updates on existing projects; particularly Epcot's transformation.
--Both Tiana and Toontown will get bigger coverage.
--One restaurant in Critter Country or New Orleans Square will become Tiana's restaurant.
--Tarzan's Treehouse will become Encanto-themed.
--More on the confirmed Avenges ride in DCA.
--Red light or green light on Mary Poppins.
--Information on Disney Cruises -- perhaps a new ship, or updates on the existing ones.
--Tomorrowland...naaaah!
--Possibly a new attraction or update to Dinoland.
--New entertainment for Animal Kingdom.
--I noticed there were posters for DisneySea's new extension at the event, so there may be some coverage on that.
--Brief updates on Paris, Hong Kong, and Shanghai's current projects.
--Perhaps one big surprise.
--Another exciting new announcement that will ultimately be postponed or cancelled in a year's time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom