D-Rays at Disney

TimeTrip

Hey, all teams have great players, I'm just talkin record at the end of the year. I wish all teams were as committed as the Yanks to winning, it would make for a much better Oct., it's not opinion, just fact.
IMO, the Yankees "committment" is pretty much just to "throw as much money as we can at the situation". Most teams can't afford to do that, and it hasn't exactly worked out well for the yanks anyway. It's exactly because of the fact that there such a spending disparity that a push for salary caps and such exists. It's also why the yanks pay a luxury tax.

Yanks07

So, you ARE aware that the World Champs this season had the least wins of all the teams that made the playoffs, right?

Just because teams dont have a large payroll doesnt mean that they arent committed to winning. Have you looked at the Oakland A's? The Minnesota Twins? Both are small market, small payroll teams, and what do you know? Both made the playoffs, clinching the AL West and Central.

Big money does not equal big winning records. A smart front office and a talented team does.
I could not agree with you more. Those teams you mentioned give you your moneys worth for baseball. And yes, I ARE aware the Cards had a less than stellar record, but they have been giving their fans some good baseball over the years.After the Yankees, they have the most baseball championships.
Entertainment and value aside, the D-Rays stink. I hope that changes someday.

isitingood

IMO, the Yankees "committment" is pretty much just to "throw as much money as we can at the situation". Most teams can't afford to do that, and it hasn't exactly worked out well for the yanks anyway. It's exactly because of the fact that there such a spending disparity that a push for salary caps and such exists. It's also why the yanks pay a luxury tax.
You're correct the Yankees throw tons of money at players and the Yankees haven't won the World Series lately. The difference is that the Yankees have a shot every year of going to the world series while the D- Rays don't, everyone knows when the season starts the D-rays have no shot at making the playoffs. The Yankees do pay a luxury tax but they get it back and then some with that huge cable deal they made. With no revenue sharing (Steinbrenner would never go for that) and no salary cap the rich will keep getting richer. The yankees team as a whole is No.1 and worth over a billion right now while the D-Rays are last in the major leagues. That is why the NFL is the best because if Green Bay were in baseball they would not exist today.

Yanks07

It sure looks like some teams are catching on, Lots of $$ being thrown around this off season.
The money the Yanks throw out there is indefensible, I wish they didn't, but what are you gonna do? I've been rooting for them since I was a little kid, and I'm not gonna stop now. Yanks vs. D-Rays opening day, 4/2/07 :sohappy:

Lil'mermaid

Entertainment and value aside, the D-Rays stink. I hope that changes someday.

Thats what you think, not what I think. If I believed that, why would I walk around my NY college campus with a D-Rays hat on? Their win/loss record tends to be on the negative side but last I remembered, they seem to win big against teams like the Yankees and Red Sox. When a 20 year old rookie can go into Fenway and beat the Pedro Martinez and the Sox in their own house, thats a sign they have some talent. They have talented players, but most were rushed through the system and need some adjustment time. Give the guys a little slack. If they truly stunk, they wouldnt be playing pro ball.

Yanks07

Thats what you think, not what I think.
It is not what I think, it is what I see. 36 games out in 06, 28 games out in 05. Sounds like your a great fan as am I, here's to hopin D-Ray's do well in 07, slack officially cut, just keep them 20 yr. old rookies beating the Red Sox, (Sorry MKT) and I will be a D-Rays fan for life! :animwink: I have a son in college and know it is a lot of work,so best of luck to you and your D-Rays.

tigsmom

Then why haven't the D-Rays done anything with it. You had a great manager in Piniella and the D-Rays didn't do anything to help him. The revenue sharing in MLB doesn't even come close to the revenue sharing in the NFL.

Not the D-Rays...the owner; he chose not to re invest.

Personally, I think the rules should be that 100% of all monies received have to be reinvested in the team and not pocketed by the owners.

Lil'mermaid

Not the D-Rays...the owner; he chose not to re invest.

Personally, I think the rules should be that 100% of all monies received have to be reinvested in the team and not pocketed by the owners.

Owners CANNOT pocket that money. It MUST be put toward baseball operations, like the major league roster, scouting, or minor league roster and signing bonuses for draftees.

Old D-Ray ownership did some shady stuff with the money, but who knows what the new guy is doing?

RSoxNo1

The D-Rays have changed ownership groups and completely revamped their front office. Their farm system is absolutely stacked, and is probably the best in baseball. If they can deal Rocco Baldelli or Carl Crawford for an ace to team up with Scott Kazmir, they could be very good, very quickly.

C - Dioner Navarro - not stellar, but still very young and has excellent plate discipline
1B - Could be any number of guys from Jonny Gomes, Ty Wigginton or even Elijah Dukes. Dukes is the best of the three. He's a 5-tool player but has had many behavior issues resulting in their AAA affiliate (Durham Bulls) telling the parent club that they'd rather forfeit games than have Dukes suit up for them again. If he can control his behavior issues he could be an all star
2B - Jorge Cantu - Although he's probably the ugliest man in baseball, he's an above average offensive player in an otherwise weak offensive position
3B - B.J. Upton, Ty Wigginton, Evan Longoria - Most People think that Upton will move to the outfield when Longoria is ready to take over. Regardless, this will be a position of strength for the D-rays for years to come.
SS - Ben Zobrist, Reid Brignac, Joel Guzman - Brignac is the best of this crop, and Guzman could wind up at 3rd as well (with Longoria moving to 2nd, Cantu to first).
LF - Carl Crawford - One of the most dynamic young players in baseball
CF - Rocco Baldelli - Should do well with a full year of helath
RF - Delmon Young - One of the best prospects in baseball. The bat throwing incident was just a temporary lapse in judgement. He's arrogant, but he shouldn't have any more problems like that.

SP - Scott Kazmir - Great anchor to any rotation
Most of their pitching depth is a year or two away, but expect to hear from the likes of Jeff Neimann, Wade Davis, Jeremy Hellickson, Matt Walker and others within the next few years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom