D-Rays at Disney

ms7479a

Original Poster
Just found this article on ESPN.com. I think it would be a good thing for Disney World, maybe a first step in bringing in a professional sports team permanately.

Rays might shift series vs. Rangers to Disney World

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The Tampa Bay Devil Rays are looking for ways to broaden fan support, including the possibility of shifting a three-game series against the Texas Rangers from Tropicana Field to Disney World next season.
The perennial last-place team ranked 29th among 30 teams in attendance last season, and one of principal owner Stuart Sternberg's priorities since taking control of the team last winter has been increasing the club's exposure in Florida.
Discussions are under way to move the May 15-17 series against the Rangers from St. Petersburg to Kissimmee, where the Atlanta Braves conduct spring training at Disney's Wide World of Sports complex.
"It's part of our effort to make the team a regional franchise," Devil Rays spokesman Rick Vaughn said, declining further comment.
The plan has received approval from the commissioner's office, the player's association, the umpire's union and the Rangers, who traditionally have not drawn well on visits to Tropicana Field.
Permission is still pending from the Florida State League and the Class A Lakeland Flying Tigers minor league club.
Texas spokesman Gregg Elkin confirmed the Devil Rays approached the Rangers about the prospect of playing the May series at Disney.
"We are supportive of anything that puts more baseball fans in seats and spreads the popularity of the game," Elkin said.
The Devil Rays drew 1,371,920 for 81 home games in 2006, up about 18 percent from the previous season. Six home dates against the Rangers attracted 49,445, an average of 8,241 per game, with crowds ranging from 7,147 to 9,701.
The stadium at Disney, which also hosted first-round games in the inaugural World Baseball Classic last March, seats about 9,500. Outfield berm seating boosts capacity to more than 11,000.
Shifting the May games to Disney is just part of the team's effort to expand its fan base. The club also plans to move its spring training home from St. Petersburg to Port Charlotte in 2009.

SpongeScott

Talk around the Tampa Bay area is not favorable to this. They say the Rays should work harder on building a fan base here before branching out into other areas.

On the plus side, maybe, just maybe, they could play a "home" game to a sellout crowd. :lol:

Eyorefan

I can understand Tampa people not likeing it, but those crowd numbers are pathetic. I don't blam them for trying to draw peole from other markets.

culturenthrills

My question if needed does Disney's stadium have the ability to add some temp bleachers to increase the size beyond 11,000. Cause if marketed properly they could prob. get more than that.

SpongeScott

maybe they are looking to move?
New ownership just finished their first season with the team and we get the "committed to stay here" mantra from them right now.

I can understand Tampa people not likeing it, but those crowd numbers are pathetic. I don't blam them for trying to draw peole from other markets.
But there needs to be a greater effort and investment made to increase the LOCAL fan base first before venturing out to other locales. The problem with building a fan base in Florida is that it's a melting pot here and loyalties lie elsewhere. Go to a D-Ray home game and you'll find the visiting crowd to be just as large or larger than the Ray fans, especially with NY, Boston, and Detroit in town. It's very frustrating sometimes. I don't have a problem with them trying to expand the fan base, but I hope they continue to work on improving it in the Bay area.

My question if needed does Disney's stadium have the ability to add some temp bleachers to increase the size beyond 11,000. Cause if marketed properly they could prob. get more than that.
Remember, we are talking about the D-Rays. :animwink:

tigsmom

New ownership just finished their first season with the team and we get the "committed to stay here" mantra from them right now.

But there needs to be a greater effort and investment made to increase the LOCAL fan base first before venturing out to other locales. The problem with building a fan base in Florida is that it's a melting pot here and loyalties lie elsewhere. Go to a D-Ray home game and you'll find the visiting crowd to be just as large or larger than the Ray fans, especially with NY, Boston, and Detroit in town. It's very frustrating sometimes. I don't have a problem with them trying to expand the fan base, but I hope they continue to work on improving it in the Bay area.

Remember, we are talking about the D-Rays. :animwink:

Its easier to get tickets and its air conditioned. :lookaroun

davidpw97

What they really need is a fancy new stadium and good players. I've been to one game at Tropicana field and I find the place dark and dreary. A new ballpark with a retractable roof would draw more fans, especially if the product on the field was worth watching. I don't think the people of Orlando are going to embrace the Rays if the team is no good, and I don't think people in the area on vacation are going to go to a baseball game with so many other ways to have fun in central Florida. This might be an interesting experiment but I don't think people who aren't already fans are going to become fans all of a sudden because of one series.

crazydaveh

This is good for baseball fans here in Otown, but who cares. The tickets will probably be so expensive (TB games aren't cheap in Tampa) that only tourists will go. Locals will probably stay home.

I'd like to see Disney bring a MLS team to Orlando. That would be fun.

Scar Junior

What they really need is a fancy new stadium and good players. I've been to one game at Tropicana field and I find the place dark and dreary. A new ballpark with a retractable roof would draw more fans, especially if the product on the field was worth watching. I don't think the people of Orlando are going to embrace the Rays if the team is no good, and I don't think people in the area on vacation are going to go to a baseball game with so many other ways to have fun in central Florida. This might be an interesting experiment but I don't think people who aren't already fans are going to become fans all of a sudden because of one series.

HAHA!

Like the owners or the state gov't would put up 700 Mil. + for a new retractable roof stadium... let alone one that is "fancy." Especially when one considers how horrible the team and ownership has been over the past several years. There would definitely be a larger average crowd in Orlando than Tampa. With 43 million visitors to Disney World alone, think of how many people would be willing to check out at least a game while they're down there. I'm not sure how big the Tampa metro area is, but from what I've heard... Orlando's is around 2 million. Additionally, most sports fans know that a good percentage of ticket sales come from corporations. With all the conventions, banking and service industries in the area... there would definitely be businessmen attending the games. Additionally, I may be the odd one out on this, but does anyone else find it interesting that the Owners' Meetings are in Orlando but there is no team there?

The pathetic team and attendance at Tropicana aren't the stadium's fault by any means. It's not a great stadium, but there are far worse out there. The Metrodome is infamous and after 12 years of failed bills, the state of MN finally passes one this year allowing a new open-air stadium in MN. No retractable roof.... in a state where April, May, September and October are all 40-50 degrees and wet.

No. A new stadium is not the answer, a new market is.

I don't have a hunch whether the team will move to Orlando or another market, but it is a possibility that they will play at the Wide World of Sports. If it happens, it won't be for a long time. Needless to say, I am in favor of the possibility. Interestingly, as a final project for a business class I developed a blue print for this exact scenerio: How to make the Tampa Bay Devil Rays successful by moving the team to Orlando. One of the most fun parts of the project was designing the renovation to the stadium at the Wide World of Sports. But I digress...........

Only time will tell.

SpongeScott

HAHA!

Like the owners or the state gov't would put up 700 Mil. + for a new retractable roof stadium... let alone one that is "fancy." Especially when one considers how horrible the team and ownership has been over the past several years.
Excellent points. The state will NEVER pump that kind of money into the team nor will the general public allow it when there is a huge financial fiasco in the state (homeowner's insurance). A stadium like that would never fly.
There would definitely be a larger average crowd in Orlando than Tampa. With 43 million visitors to Disney World alone, think of how many people would be willing to check out at least a game while they're down there. I'm not sure how big the Tampa metro area is, but from what I've heard... Orlando's is around 2 million.
I'm not sure that Orlando would have a larger fan base than the Bay area. It would all depend on marketing and how the team is presented locally and to the tourists. If it was the D-Rays to move in there, it would take years (after the years of building a new stadium) to erase the "scum" reputation the D-Rays have.
Additionally, most sports fans know that a good percentage of ticket sales come from corporations. With all the conventions, banking and service industries in the area... there would definitely be businessmen attending the games.
And this is where the game has gone and most other sporting events--corporate. The average person/family has been priced out of the good seats. But, that is now the nature of the beast and the D-Rays must do a better job of marketing the team to the corporate world here.
Additionally, I may be the odd one out on this, but does anyone else find it interesting that the Owners' Meetings are in Orlando but there is no team there?
It's not unusual for the owners to hold meetings where there is not a MLB team; Nashville has hosted it many years.
The pathetic team and attendance at Tropicana aren't the stadium's fault by any means. It's not a great stadium, but there are far worse out there. The Metrodome is infamous and after 12 years of failed bills, the state of MN finally passes one this year allowing a new open-air stadium in MN. No retractable roof.... in a state where April, May, September and October are all 40-50 degrees and wet.

No. A new stadium is not the answer, a new market is.
TB has just come under new ownership and it's going to take some time to undo the mistakes and stupidity that the first owner implemented in his nine year reign. It's going to take time to rebuild trust, for the people to believe that the Rays are actually trying to field a winning team (hard to do with NY and Boston in the same division), and it must be marketed correctly. I, for one, believe in giving the new guys a chance and seeing what they can do. And if moving ONE series of games to Orlando is part of that plan, then let's see what happens. Remember, this is nothing more than rumor right now. It has a lot of hoops to jump through first.

I don't have a hunch whether the team will move to Orlando or another market, but it is a possibility that they will play at the Wide World of Sports. If it happens, it won't be for a long time. Needless to say, I am in favor of the possibility. Interestingly, as a final project for a business class I developed a blue print for this exact scenerio: How to make the Tampa Bay Devil Rays successful by moving the team to Orlando. One of the most fun parts of the project was designing the renovation to the stadium at the Wide World of Sports. But I digress...........

Only time will tell.
I'd be curious to read your report! Thanks for good discussion on this.

tigsmom

This is good for baseball fans here in Otown, but who cares. The tickets will probably be so expensive (TB games aren't cheap in Tampa) that only tourists will go. Locals will probably stay home.

I'd like to see Disney bring a MLS team to Orlando. That would be fun.

We've been to a few different stadiums and D Rays tickets are one of the least expensive (try NY & Baltimore). I can sit in the first row behind the dugout for less than a decent seat at Yankee Stadium.

We always attend at least one game when we are in Florida, but then we are usually visiting family near Tampa.

SpongeScott

We've been to a few different stadiums and D Rays tickets are one of the least expensive (try NY & Baltimore). I can sit in the first row behind the dugout for less than a decent seat at Yankee Stadium.

We always attend at least one game when we are in Florida, but then we are usually visiting family near Tampa.
I don't know how I missed the post you quoted.

Games are cheap in TB. They increase prices for all NY and Boston games and one other series during the year, depending on the team. Otherwise, I can see a game with what I deem as a decent seat for $8--and free parking. Where else can you get a seat on the first row of the OF for $16 (give or take a buck)?

tigsmom

I don't know how I missed the post you quoted.

Games are cheap in TB. They increase prices for all NY and Boston games and one other series during the year, depending on the team. Otherwise, I can see a game with what I deem as a decent seat for $8--and free parking. Where else can you get a seat on the first row of the OF for $16 (give or take a buck)?

653.gif

And they are still cheaper than Yankee Stadium and then you have to pay for parking...and the food is better at the Trop.

flscooman

They have NEVER finished better than last or second to last let alone close to .500 that is why nobody goes to see the Devil Rays they go to see the yankees , red sox and tigers etc. quote in local newspaper " Cracker Jack Stadium has 9500 seats but 5000 can be removed to accomodate the Devil Rays"

Yanks07

653.gif

And they are still cheaper than Yankee Stadium and then you have to pay for parking...and the food is better at the Trop.
Your comparing Apples and Oranges.(Which they probally sell at Trop. field)
Whatever the Yankees charge is worth every penny, ever been out to Monument Park? Are we talking Baseball or smoothies? (Yum) Back on topic though, I would love to see a D-Rays game at Wide World Of Sports.:xmas:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom