Cypress Gardens Shutting Down

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Original Poster
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ibsys/20030410/lo_wkmg/1572244

The Cypress Gardens theme park in Winter Haven, Fla., will close it gates permanently Sunday after more than 67 years of entertaining tourists, according to Local 6 News.

Thursday's announcement that the park would be shut down came from President and CEO Bill Reynolds.

Reynolds, who has owned the park since buying it from Anheuser Busch in 1995, said that the decision is purely a financial decision.

In a statement issued to Local 6 News, a Cypress Gardens official said that the park never fully recovering from the effects of Sept. 11, 2001, and diminished funds have placed the park in a distressed situation.

The statement also said that besides the effects of Sept. 11, 2001, the ensuing worsening economy and the effect on those who rely on investment interest for their income also contributed to the decision to close the park.

Local 6 News reported that the park's March attendance totals were down 42,000 visitors from the pervious year and the company has accumulated $6 million in losses.

Cypress Gardens has entertained millions of visitors and has gained world acclaim for its 200-acre gardens that feature over 8,000 plant varieties from more than 90 countries.

The closure will result in the immediate layoff of essentially the entire staff. But a skeleton crew will remain and wrap up the park's affairs, Local 6 News reported.

It is not known how many employees will be effected by the closure.

The park will be closed permanently April 13 at 7 p.m.

Cypress Gardens is located off U.S. Highway 27 between Tampa and Orlando.

Maria

That´s sad... all those beautiful gardens... I wonder what they will do with them now... maybe Disney would be interested on buying those plants at least? Would be awful if they just died... :(

DMC-12

Original Poster
Originally posted by Maria
That´s sad... all those beautiful gardens... I wonder what they will do with them now... maybe Disney would be interested on buying those plants at least? Would be awful if they just died... :(

Yeah, I have not been there in ages.. I remember going there in 1983-84. :(

jmarc63

Boy this really sadens me, every time we were in floridia on vacation we went to Cypress Gardens witch makes it 10 visits there in the 70s, I was considering taking a day and going to CG on my next trip but I guree it's a moot point now. It's a good thing that Disney is spread around to weather the storm

EmeraldDolphin

.....and I never even got there! I was hoping to go last summer while we were down in FL... but no one else wanted to go... see... we should've!!

DMC-12

Original Poster
Originally posted by tenchu
One of those places you always mean to go, but never quite get around to it...

I know. Its just one of those places I would of liked to squeeze into my vacation itinerary...but,

If I get to Sea World or a Universal Park on one of my central FL trips, that is lucky for me... the last 2 trips.. I have not left WDW property.

SpongeScott

Wow! Talk about bringing back some memories. I can remember when going to Cypress Gardens and Sunken Gardens were THE things to do when you went down to Florida--oh, and let's not forget Weeki Wachee too, to see the mermaids.

And I thought those girls in those dresses were hot! (I was 8 years old at the time!)

GaryT977

Originally posted by sandjhooker
Wow! Talk about bringing back some memories. I can remember when going to Cypress Gardens and Sunken Gardens were THE things to do when you went down to Florida--oh, and let's not forget Weeki Wachee too, to see the mermaids.

And I thought those girls in those dresses were hot! (I was 8 years old at the time!)

I forgot about Weeki Watchi! And what was the place with the glass bottom boats... Homassasa Springs? Something like that.

*sigh*

I guess if you don't have thrill rides...

:(

SpongeScott

Originally posted by GaryT977
I forgot about Weeki Watchi! And what was the place with the glass bottom boats... Homassasa Springs? Something like that.

*sigh*

I guess if you don't have thrill rides...

:(
Wasn't the place with glass-bottomed boats somehwere near Ocala? Named something Springs? And I remember Homosassa Springs well too. That was one of my Dad's favorite things to do--load up the car and drive one hour up to Homosassa. Anyone that ever came to visit us had to make the holy trek.

Glass-bottomed boats reminds me, for some reason, of Fat-Bottomed Girls by Queen. :lol:

DMC-12

Original Poster
I got this from screamscape... sounds good.. if the state could save the place.

4/18/03) The latest Cypress Gardens update is that thousands of people have contacted the stave governor to “save” the park. While there is apparently something on the books that would allow them to turn it into a State Park, there are still questions about how much of the park should be saved. Some would like the whole place saved (waterslides and all) while many others say just to keep the Gardens themselves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom