Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

asianway

Okay, but I doubt you know the feelings of 60000+ CMs. I'm sure there are many disgruntled employees, like at every other place of employment everywhere. I work at a great place, but there are people here who are never happy, have crappy attitudes, complain constantly, etc. It's 5%-10% of the people I work with, depending on who's running the place. I doubt the percentage is much different at WDW. If so, that's several thousand malcontents. Perhaps those are the people you have your pulse on.
A read on another site, where some CMs posted that this is not a big deal, is temporary, and they went on to note that it just gives their whiny co-workers another thing to complain about. If it wasn't this, it'd be something else. My cousin currently works there, is affected by this, but said she's still getting 32 hours weekly (I believe 30 hours is full time) so it's fine.
So how is your cousin subsidizing her income?

Cesar R M

Couldn't they save this money by doing away with the free deserts on the Dining Plan and other innocuous "free" things? You know, something we will not miss? This way we still get to keep the CM staff at an appropriate level.

Didn't some airline save a ridiculous amount of money once by removing one olive from the salads served in flight?
because these are not "free" things? you already paid in the overpriced dinning plans.

Cesar R M

disgruntled employee telling me how bad
so, you're going to ignore someone who actually knows whats going on behind the scenes when there are cuts because you want to check your "poster in a forum" privilege?
:hilarious:

she's still getting 32 hours weekly (I believe 30 hours is full time) so it's fine.
So, would she only complain UNTIL it affects her directly?

That almost sounds like the guy, who claims "its fine" when his apartment building is on fire. "Fine", because his apartment is still untouched by the fire(even when the firefighters are nowhere near the scene)
0DchUcm.png

Castle Cake Apologist

This. I'm actually really tired of everybody blaming the poor quality of service on the CPs. Sure, some just look at it as a chance to get way from home, live in Florida, and not really work. But plenty take it seriously and want to use t as a springboard to network and move up in the company. And truth be told, at my locations, the Cast Members that in my opinion were the worst and meanest to the guests were the full timers, not the CPs.

This. So much this. Slagging on CP Cast is not fair. The vast majority are some of the best employees at the entire resort. It's generally the local full-timers who could use a dose of magic.

Next Big Thing

This. So much this. Slagging on CP Cast is not fair. The vast majority are some of the best employees at the entire resort. It's generally the local full-timers who could use a dose of magic.
Yup, the CPers are typically pixie dusters. Once you move here full time, all that magic goes away.

And many of the better, more spirited workers end up switching over to Universal, too.

WDWVolFan

There are already a couple of threads listing some of the specifics, but I think it is time for a centralized thread with an overview of the current situation with regard to cutbacks.

Over the past few weeks we've been contacted by CMs throughout the parks and resorts with details of some of the cuts taking place through the parks and resorts - and it is taking place at all levels.

Despite record attendance and financial results, cuts are being ordered anywhere and everywhere - to levels last seen during the economic downturn of 2008.

Cuts will include reduction of operating hours - at all levels, from the parks themselves, down to the individual attractions, restaurants, and shops.

Numbers of CMs are being reduced wherever possible. Fewer cast will be at registers in shops, fewer cast will operate resort front desks, fewer cast will be handling bags at the resorts, and fewer cast will be running attractions.

Overtime is being suspended wherever possible, and when cast leave, they are not being replaced.

Things are just getting started now, and are thought to be continuing through to the summer. No word yet on how long they will be in place.

What's the reason for this when the company has record performance in Q1? Overseas parks. Specially Shanghai's cost over-runs, and continuing poor performance of Disneyland Paris - which has increased further with the terrorist attacks.

Star Wars land...coming Summer 2025
Toy Story Land coming...when Andy turns 60!
Epcot Revamp coming...when Walt's frozen body comes to life.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
so, you're going to ignore someone who actually knows whats going on behind the scenes when there are cuts because you want to check your "poster in a forum" privilege?

How do you know that this person is "someone who actually knows what is going on behind the scenes" and not just someone with a bone to pick with Walt Disney World. Is this person a front line employee only seeing one side of the story. I am not saying I am going to look at what is going on and then report on the facts after my next trip to Walt Disney World.

Next Big Thing

Or they feel like they have something to prove and they want to do a really good job. Because they believe it may benefit them down the road; whether they stick with Disney or move on to another employer...
Maybe, depending on location.

But many lose the sense of wonder and love of the job once they work PT/FT for Disney, mostly because management sucks and are d***s. Yes, many do go on elsewhere and impress, but that's only because they realize how much of a dead end job WDW front-line (and theme parks in general) jobs are.

hopemax

Maybe, depending on location.

But many lose the sense of wonder and love of the job once they work PT/FT for Disney, mostly because management sucks and are d***s. Yes, many do go on elsewhere and impress, but that's only because they realize how much of a dead end job WDW front-line (and theme parks in general) jobs are.

The biggest problem with CPs is that they, "don't know what they don't know." You can have all the eagerness in the world, but if there are things you don't even know that your predecessors did, you can't begin to do them.

Of course, the same can be said for all levels of current WDW management, and why its such a problem. They are operating so far afield from the way they did 30 years ago, they don't know what they aren't doing. And any CM who mentions how "they used to do things," quickly finds out speaking up will get you branded as a troublemaker, so you learn to just keep your mouth shut and stay employed/given hours.

Disney4family

Randy - I love your idea of 'engaged' kids - but you would have to do 'time travel' to find anyone under 25 that isn't attached to their phone by an umbilical cord !! Seriously, I have encountered some young folk that are of the attitude..."if you can't do it on a phone...it doesn't exist" !! They have no tolerance for any discourse that last longet than a 'tweet'.
And - it won't go away. And - others are giving in to it. My admin has decided that students can "BYO" to classes. I get to play "bad cop" and tell the kids to put them away so they can actually do activities and learn something. I stare at the tops of heads when I work and then I get to go to my fave location - WDW - and stare at the tops of heads of other Guests and now CMs? :banghead:

Dragonrider1227

You don't believe that no longer having a greeter outside of the resorts, greeting guests as they arrive, answering questions, giving directions, welcoming guests to the property, etc. will affect the guest experience? Those little touches are exactly the sort of thing that made staying at Disney resorts different- having a costumed greeter welcome you "home," and give the children a Mickey sticker while directing the adults where to go to check-in. How does their elimination not negatively impact the guest experience?

Or...how does eliminating the second performance of Fantasmic and DEP during spring break not negatively impact the guest experience? The first Fantasmic show routinely fills up already, so if you want to see the show during that extra busy time, now you're asking guests to queue up, what, 2 hours early? You're ok with that? You don't think that'll make guests a bit grumpy?
Maybe it's because I only go every two years but I honestly don't remember seeing such greeters any time I went and recall having to be queuing up to see Fantasmic almost 2 hours ahead with or without the second showing. I've also never seen in person PUSH the trash can, main st. residents, (not counting the trolley show) never got a Mickey sticker, and had to plan in advanced to make sure I saw MEP and yet, by some miracle, I still have a magical time. I understand disappointment but you're all turning into a first world problems meme. If I'm concerned about anything, it's more the potential loss of jobs and less the fact I may have to wait a little longer for my parade.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom