Current WiFi Coverage & Quality In Parks & Resorts

Raineman

Original Poster
I probably asked this question before my last trip but what is the quality of the WiFi in the parks and resorts now? The WiFi at POR was OK, kinda spotty and laggy, and I don't think I've ever really used the WiFi in any of the parks, so I don't have a baseline from previous visits. My phone is on airplane mode the minute we cross the border into the US, so once we're on property I like to have my phone on WiFi as much as possible; that way if people want to contact me, I can get texts from other iPhones and get email. I had also heard rumblings of WiFi upgrades in the last couple of years.

When I stayed at the Grand Destino Tower I was very impressed by the WiFi speed. I was at Pop in August (50's section) and the WiFi there was also speedy and consistent.

I don't know if Disney has been upgrading their networks or it's just part of the new resorts/refurbs but I do know that the WiFi at Boardwalk a few years ago was very spotty and slow.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Wifi coverage in the parks is passable, albeit a bit spotty. Remember also that there are now a huge number of people connected to it, so basic app functionality should work, just don't expect to stream anything inside the parks.

Maybe the next time I'm in the parks, hopefully in March, I'll run a few speedtests and see what speeds are like. :)

Raineman

Original Poster
Wifi coverage in the parks is passable, albeit a bit spotty. Remember also that there are now a huge number of people connected to it, so basic app functionality should work, just don't expect to stream anything inside the parks.

Maybe the next time I'm in the parks, hopefully in March, I'll run a few speedtests and see what speeds are like. :)
I will be there on Sunday, and I'll get my assistant to prepare the official report. :D

trainplane3

Here's what I got from my room in BLT. It's enough for what you'll need it for.

In the parks, expect that or lower and with more congestion especially during a show or entertainment nearby. It's pretty spotty but you should be fine if you're only looking to do messaging. The Disney app...ya good luck there.

Victor Kelly

In 2015 ok at POP. Parks were spotty at best. I don't know who the net is supplied by at Disney. They change every few years.

Primary problem is Disney wants you to do everything online with their poor excuse for an app that has at least 100,000 on it daily.

They need to do more upgrading and actually build a decent service.

James J

In the Parks
No
We got back last week and stayed at Coronado, where we found the wifi to be pretty good and consistent. AK and MK seemed to have the most dead spots where it just wouldn't connect, and during a visit to the Grand Floridian we found it to be iffy there too.

Chef Mickey

I got zero Wifi at Boardwalk and complained so much, they gave me a free night (almost $400 credit). WiFi still never worked at all the entire time. Finally got escalated to someone that just flat out told me it's a cluster and Disney is in the process of laying fiber.

I told them it was unacceptable...and it is. I understand the parks being spotty, but not Deluxe Resorts. I don't normally complain as aggressively, but they weren't going to just get an "oh well" from me on that. Not for $400/night for 7 nights.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I got zero Wifi at Boardwalk and complained so much, they gave me a free night (almost $400 credit). WiFi still never worked at all the entire time. Finally got escalated to someone that just flat out told me it's a cluster and Disney is in the process of laying fiber.

I told them it was unacceptable...and it is. I understand the parks being spotty, but not Deluxe Resorts. I don't normally complain as aggressively, but they weren't going to just get an "oh well" from me on that. Not for $400/night for 7 nights.
Well, if you had splurged for a monorail resort, perhaps your wi fi would have been better.

Chef Mickey

Well, if you had splurged for a monorail resort, perhaps your wi fi would have been better.
Funny enough, it is better at monorail resorts, all of which I’ve stayed in recently. Boardwalk is enjoyable because of its proximity to both Hollywood and Epcot.

trainplane3

Yep and yep. They're also still transitioning over to VoIP phones.

I'll never forget going when I first got the original Motorola Droid. Cell signal? Sure I can make calls. Data signal? Good luck. They improved massively as LTE became a thing luckily.

DisneyJoe

We just spent 3 nights in a Contemporary Garden Wing room that was pretty far down the wing; in the room it was pretty bad, but as we got closer to and in the tower, it was excellent.

I also had pretty good service in all 4 parks, with a dead spot occasionally, the MK hub tends to be bad - and I even was on 1 Disney bus where I connected to the Disney Transportation Guest wifi and that was surprisingly good.

ThemeParkJunkee

In late October, we stayed at POR. WiFi was spotty. I had better luck with my own Data plan. I found the MDE app lagged and failed more often than acceptable on the WiFi. POR wasn’t too bad, the parks were worse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom