Current Status of River Country and Disc. Island?

lunarsquid

I say they re-open it as-is, make you sign a waiver before you're let in, and call it Algae Kingdom. The mascot can be a cartoony Amoeba, saying "Lemme in your brain!!"
:drevil:

RiverCountry.jpg

Oh, those pics just make me sick!! Esp the overall site.

I learned to swim at RC when I was VERY young, the summer it opened. Dad has it on video and everything. We went there almost every year til I was a teenager. and I would venture to say a majority of my childhood Disney memories have to do with RC!!! well, that and goofy water-skiing from the Contemporary LOL and the old Main Street Electrical Parade... i can still hear the music in my head when I think about it.

Anyway, I remember how brave I thought my Dad was for doing those drop slides and how excited I was when they let me on them finally!! LOL I remember my brothers pulling my inner tube every time I got stuck. LOL WAY too many memories and I am now even more thankful my Dad documented it.

Thanks for posting the video.... it brought back a ton and yes, sap that I am, brought tears!!

I just looked it up today figuring it was probably closed down by now (I've been out of the Disney news since 2000... and just starting to jump back in to make memories now as a mom)....... but I just didn't expect this....I think I would be okay to know they tore it down... but to leave it rot... is a tough one to take. :( VERY tough.

cloudboy

There's a boardwalk there - was part of a natuer trail. I believe. It still exists, sticking out into the water, and even has lights on it. Anyone know what kind of condition that is in? Would it be possible to open that up?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There's a boardwalk there - was part of a natuer trail. I believe. It still exists, sticking out into the water, and even has lights on it. Anyone know what kind of condition that is in? Would it be possible to open that up?
I looked at it a week or so ago on the boat ride from Ft Wilderness to MK. It's current condition could be best described as "termites holding hands".

Kristamouse

Stupid questions of the night. If there were snakes fish other icky things in the water how did they keep gators out? When it was open, I mean it seems it wouldn't be to hard for the gator to find.

living dead!

oh man, i remember that place. i remember accidently going down the wrong slide when i barely knew how to swim and some guy had to help me get from under the water. but yeah, i have a pin of this place, which is pretty cool.

jcat2312

I am so glad I had the opportunity to go to RC back in High School. I loved that place, and was saddened when they shut it down and left it to rot! Walt must be rolling around in his grave knowing that they have River Country and Discovery Island to just sit there, collecting bugs and who knows what else....

bassman

does anyone have any pics of river country in its hayday and some pics from on discovery island,im intrigued as to what they both looked like when they were both being used.

TimeTrip

Wasn't that part of the line for the slides? I thought I remember waiting on that and it actually dipped down into the water for part of it. Then again I could be remembering incorrectly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom