CS 09 questions

AcidRain

Original Poster
Hi I have tried to do a lot of research but still have some questions. I have talked to some friends who have participated in the past and they highly recommended it.

1)roughly how much does each role pay? I heard that food services pays the most and custodial is just below that.

2) is all overtime (40 hrs a week or more than 8hrs a day) paid at double time or is it time and a half

3) Roughly how much did you get paid per check? Like an estimate of what you'd normally get.

4) How bad is the cost of food? I live in Rockford Illinois. I've been told its rather cheap.

6) Is there transportation to like the grocery store or just to your work site? I have heard conflicting things on this.

5) I was also told Florida has very little taxes taken out from your checks.

6) the $80-$100 for board. Does that encompass everythign such as electric water gas heat and phone, or are those seperate?

Tinkrbell

I will attempt to answer your questions for you.

1.) I know that costuming gets the lowest amount at $7.21/hour. Im not sure what the others get paid, but I've heard that it's in the $7-9/ hour range.

2.) Overtime is paid at time & half, but you can get double time if you aren't scheduled at least 8 hours between shifts. From what I've been told by my manager, for CPs/CS your only get double time up until the point at which it has been 8 hours since you clocked out. (if you are scheduled till 10pm & have a shift at 5:30am the next day, you only get double time till 6am)

3.) After rent, my paychecks average $121/week. I pay $90/ week for rent, so I would get about $211 if rent wasnt automatically taken out. That's for a 40 hour week. They take out your lunches, so for a 40 hour week (5- 8 hour days), you get paid for 37 & a half hours.

4.) The price of food isnt too bad. I can spend about $35 & have food for about a week & a half.

5.) There is a bus that goes to Publix & Walmart, its during the day a few days a week & in the evening the other days. If you live at Chatham or Patterson, you can walk to the Publix the bus takes you to. Its about a 10 minute walk from Chatham for me. There is a Walgreens across the street from Vista & also one by Publix. I've gone there if I need something that doesnt require needing to plan an hour or two to go to the grocery store. There is also a bus once a week to the Florida Mall & to the outlet mall. The outlet mall is right next to the subdivision that The Commons, Chatham, & Patterson are all in, so it isnt that far to walk.

6.) Florida doesnt take out state taxes, but the federal govt still takes out all the regular stuff.

7.) What you pay for rent covers: electric, water, gas, heat, internet, cable, & local phone. You can use the apartment phone to call places that arent local with a calling card. I usually use my cell phone for that, though. Cell phone reception is decent. I have quite a few dead spots in my apartment, but thats mostly because Im on the 1st floor of a 3 floor building. If Im outside, I have no real problems with cell phone reception.

If I didnt answer one of questions well enough or you have another, just let me know. Im doing the Career Start program right now. I came down in August & was supposed to be going home next friday, but I extended my program & am now staying till May 15.

Hey Acid Rain thanks for doing this post i have ad many of the sam questions.

What CS are you applying for? Im assuming fall 09' which is the one im applying for.

OH to tinkerbell was $121 a week sufficent to get you through the week? Like did you have to cut corners on any spending or was it ok.

thanks guys

-cf12

AcidRain

Original Poster
Thank you so much for you awnsers, it helps alot. When you say Florida doesnt take out tax, do you mean they dont take it out of your check and you have to pay when tax time comes around or that there is just no tax. Yes I will be applying for the fall 09 CS program. Can I pack my own lunch to eat to save on that cost? And how easy is it to get extra hours. I've heard mixed replies to this, from there are tons always to only here and there. Also, how does the extension thing work. You just say you want to stay on and you stay for another 6 months? Thank you for your help.

AcidRain

Original Poster
Well applications start late january early febuary presumably so im gonna apply around then. I'm still working out what im going to apply for. But im probably gonna go mainly with attractions/custodial. Maybe full service food and beverage for my thrid choice. How about you?

Lifeguarding is deff my first choice. I am currently a lifeguard so that would totally suit me best. My second choice would be attractions.

Oh yeah thats what i had heard about apps. When i called to check the status of the app i sent in in november they told me that they were only accepting for spring and that the they would start accepting fall ones in late jan early feb as you said.
-cf12

Tinkrbell

$121 gets me through the week. I normally take lunch with me to work to save a little money, but I end up buying my lunch about once a week. There have been some things I've decided not to buy when I go grocery shopping. I usually end up cutting out a lot of the junk food I would normally want & get "real" food. I dont have too much left over by the next pay day, but I have enough to buy a special edition pin or something like that just about every week. (Im not doing that right now cuz Im saving to buy my fantasmic 10th anniversary jacket.)

For the extension, you will get an email about 2 months before your program is supposed to end. The email will tell you when the application will be available on the hub & for how long you can fill it out. It will also tell you what day the extension request responses will be available on the hub. (For every one on the fall 2008 program, we got the email the end of october. Applications were up for the first two weeks of november. We could found out if we got extended Dec. 1, but had to accept or decline the extension offer by dec. 10 or something like that.)

AcidRain

Original Poster
So do you get extended another 6 months if you accecpt? Or do the amount of an extension you get vary? As for the whole food thing while at work. Are there like places where employees buy food and the cost is just taken out of your check? I dont get what you meant earlier about them taking food out fo your check.When you say Florida doesnt take out tax, do you mean they dont take it out of your check and you have to pay when tax time comes around or that there is just no tax.And how easy is it to get extra hours. I've heard mixed replies to this, from there are tons always to only here and there. I really appreciate you taking the time to awnser all of my quesitons. XD

joanna71985

So when are you going to apply. I tried applying already and was told to wait. Also what position are you applying for?

-cf12

Applications should be up by the end of the month or in early Feb.

So do you get extended another 6 months if you accecpt? Or do the amount of an extension you get vary? As for the whole food thing while at work. Are there like places where employees buy food and the cost is just taken out of your check? I dont get what you meant earlier about them taking food out fo your check.When you say Florida doesnt take out tax, do you mean they dont take it out of your check and you have to pay when tax time comes around or that there is just no tax.And how easy is it to get extra hours. I've heard mixed replies to this, from there are tons always to only here and there. I really appreciate you taking the time to awnser all of my quesitons. XD

The extension is the same length for everyone. Let's take the Fall program, for example. It goes Aug to Jan. If you extend, you would extend til May. I don't know if you can extend again to Aug (you technically can be on the CP/CS for up to a year).

There are CM cafeterias at the 4 parks. But you pay for the food yourself. It isn't taken out of the paycheck.

It is easy enough to get extra hours. You can get shifts on the HUB (as long as they don't require special training) or you can pick up shifts in your own area.

AcidRain

Original Poster
Is the food in the CM cafeterias resonably proced? And can anyone go over the state taxes? Does florida just not take it out of you checks and you pay later or does florida not have taxes?

joanna71985

Is the food in the CM cafeterias resonably proced? And can anyone go over the state taxes? Does florida just not take it out of you checks and you pay later or does florida not have taxes?

I think the food is reasonably priced. I didn't get it all the time (I tried bringing my lunch most of the time, so I would save money).

I don't think FL has taxes (but I'm not positive).

AcidRain

Original Poster
Thanks. So I guess Florida has a sales tax but no income tax. Thnx coasterfan. If I wanted to get alot of hours what would be the best role to go for? And as perhaps my last question, any idea how much custodial/attractions pays?

joanna71985

Thanks. So I guess Florida has a sales tax but no income tax. Thnx coasterfan. If I wanted to get alot of hours what would be the best role to go for? And as perhaps my last question, any idea how much custodial/attractions pays?

For hours, it depends on the location (example- one area for attractions could be giving out a lot of hours, while another area isn't). However, the best roles for finding extra hours on the HUB are attractions, merchandise, and QSFB.

AcidRain

Original Poster
But dont you need to be trained on each ride to take the hours. Id just think attractions would have fewer since your not trained on every ride. How about custodial

joanna71985

But dont you need to be trained on each ride to take the hours. Id just think attractions would have fewer since your not trained on every ride. How about custodial

Nope. There are plenty of untrained attractions shifts. Most of them are greeter shifts, which probably is why.

I've seen a fair amount of custodial shifts (not as many as the other roles). However, some of them were trained shifts.

AcidRain

Original Poster
So attractions would be the easiest role to pickup extra hours for? Thanks, I didn't really think that it would be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom