Crush's Coaster at DHS (MGM)?

DABIGCHEEZ

I read Jim Hill's article today about California Adventure's name being switched to Walt Disney's California Adventure, but he also mentioned that Crush's Coaster will be announced for MGM (DHS). Is this really true? I thought the rumor was that a Ratatouille version would go there.

Thanks.

EDIT- What I posted was speculation posted on Jim Hill's site, not concrete info. Although he made it sound although as that Crush's Coaster WILL be announced.

Isn't speculation what Jim Hill is famous for?

DABIGCHEEZ

I heard of it through other people during my college program. First told to me by a friend after she got to stay on and actually got a little higher position in the park, although I don't think any in park people would really know anyway as I know some people who have been working for years, management and such, and some news they hear about first from me from WDWmagic. The original ride location was mentioned to be where the old Hunchback stage was. They need something that pulls some traffic away from ToT and RnRC. Toy Story Mania I think will be great, and if they put this toward the back of the park it would probably help. Then, if they just closed down the Indy Stunt show(although I prefer Indy to Lights, Motors, Action or whatever it is called) and put in a version of the DL Indiana Jones ride, that would put the park over the top.

They can scrap all the shows (Indy, Lights, & BATB) in my opinion, and make better use of that space. Either fresh new stage shows(I know Lights is new but once is enough) or some new creative imagineering would be nice. Just my 1/2 cent.

Disneyfan1981

Walt Disney's California Adventure doesn't quite roll off of your tongue....Personally I'd love for them to just scrap the California Adventure theme all together. I'd love for them to redo that park into a West Coast version of Disney Studios....

the-reason14

Great idea!! Bring it on!! But, I'd want Ratatouille before another Nemo ride. However Tarzan would be even better just because it's not Pixar and not computer animated.

Thats another thought that came to mind, why should or would all the newer rides need to be pixar based. I know that WDC like just inquired them or whatever but they cant forget that several decades before them, they were making quality animated films and quality attractions based off of them. I understand that Pixar has a better presence in the animated world today and there are some movies that they have yet to use and Im also not one to bash Pixar or one that hates their presence in the parks. Its just that its almost like WDC is afraid or doesnt wanna have anything to do with their own quality hand drawn animated films. And thats alittle sad.

SeanC

The new coaster will be pixar themed because its going to be part of the new Pixar Place area of the Studios that is replacing Mikey Ave and is expected to move into the Backlot area when it eventually goes away...that's the rumor/speculation that's going around. As to the DCA name change...as someone who spent several years in LA and went to DLR often and actually likes DCA, I think the revamp plans and possible name change will be very good for the DL's little brother.

Tom Morrow

I don't understand renaming DCA to Walt Disney's California Adventure. Walt Disney didn't think of it, and he wouldn't have built such a mediocre park. Its kind of an insult to him.

polarboi

Smart money? Crush. Already built one, easy to copy it. My problem with it? Enough Nemo already spread out over two other parks. Leading candidate last I heard.

Nothing against Nemo (great film, by the way) but I have to agree: we've got enough Nemo in the parks. The entire Seas pavilion is all Nemo, for crying out loud, and the Nemo stage show doesn't look to be going anywhere anytime soon. (No reason it should; I hear it's a fantastic show.)

I'm not a fan of overexposing any one property when you have so many others to play with. Cars could use something fun in the parks, and Ratatouille is, in my opinion, one of the most original and engaging animated films in years. It deserves something really nice as well. Plus, seriously, there are several scenes in the movie that would lend themselves nicely to a high-speed adventure....

-p.b. :cool:

Animaniac93-98

I don't understand renaming DCA to Walt Disney's California Adventure. Walt Disney didn't think of it, and he wouldn't have built such a mediocre park. Its kind of an insult to him.

because comments like this show that none of you will actually bother to read the article I'll post it here to save you all that time of changing your adress bar:

The Imagineers aren't really looking to change the name of Disney's California Adventure. In fact, the way I hear it, what WDI is actually thinking of adding a new word to the title of this particular theme park.

Ah, but what a difference that one word would make. What am I talking about? Well, how would you feel if they changed DCA's name to "Walt Disney's California Adventure" ?

The idea here is that all of DCA's "districts" (Remember? Back when this theme park originally opened up back in February of 2001, the Imagineers were quite specific about this matter. Disneyland had "lands." Whereas Disney's California Adventure -- because it was infinitely more adult & sophisticated than its boring, older sibling across the plaza -- had "districts") would eventually come to thematically represent various aspects of Walt's journey from being this poor boy in Marceline, Missouri to becoming a genuine Hollywood legend.

So (following along this design scheme) DCA's "Sunshine Plaza" (i.e. The entrance area of that theme park) would be retooled to look like the Southern California that Walt encountered when he first stepped off the train back in 1923. As for the park's Hollywood Pictures backlot section, the time period for this DCA district would then be dialed back to the mid-1930s. When Walt was initially taking Tinsel Town by storm.

Mind you, one of the more interesting ideas that the Imagineers are reportedly toying with is completely ripping out the Golden Vine Winery restaurant. And in its place building an approximation of the Disney family's Holmby Hills estate. Inside the house itself would be "Walt's Place," a brand-new restaurant that would celebrate the man as well as his love of American comfort food. Meanwhile, out in the "backyard" of this estate would be a brand-new version of the Carolwood Pacific Railroad. Which guests could then board and -- via an elaborate system of tressels -- take a quick scenic trip around the Grizzly Peak Recreation Area. Where they could then view rafters splashing along Grizzly River Run and hikers exploring the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail before heading back to the Holmby Hills estate.

Please keep in mind that this particular DCA retheming idea still has to make it past Disney's attorneys. Who aren't going to be all that enthusiastic about the combination of brain-dead tourists, miniature trains and live steam. Which is why WDI already allegedly has a fall-back position for this particular retheming project. In that the Imagineers will then agree to upscale the train that would be used for this new DCA attraction so that it would resemble the one used in Disneyland's old "Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland" attraction.

Of course, by doing something like that ... Well, it takes away a lot of the fun for Disney enthusiasts. Robbing them of the chance to experience what it might have been like to ride on Walt's own miniature backyard railway. But on the other hand, an upscaled version of this train would then address all of the concerns that Disney's attorneys (Not to mention DCA's Ops staff. Which would really have their hands full dealing with the limited hourly ride capacity of this proposed attraction) would be sure to raise.

As for the Pacific Pier area ... This part of the park would then be rethemed to feature elements that would suggest all of the Southern California amusement parks that Walt visited with his daughters while he was doing research prior to the construction of the original Disneyland.

You getting the idea yet, Lillian? The Imagineers want to shift DCA from being a theme park that tells these very broad stories about Southern California to becoming a place that tells very specific stories. All of the adventures that one man had while he was living in California. In short ... Walt Disney's California Adventure.

"But how does the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, A Bug's Land and/or Cars Land fit into that specific storyline?," you ask. Well ... The Imagineers haven't actually figured that part out yet. Which is why they're now trying to make the rethemed version of DCA loose enough so that it can then accommodate these storytelling anomalies. While -- at the same time -- keep the park specific enough that it then can support this "Walt Disney's California Adventure" storyline.

Now please keep in mind that this is the Walt Disney Company that we're talking about here. Consequently, over the coming years, plans will change. Projects will be announced and then never make it off the drawing boards. That's just the way of the world when you're dealing with WDI.

But that said ... You gotta admit that "Walt Disney's California Adventure" certainly sounds like it would be a much better theme park than plain-old DCA ... Don't you think?

WDWEric

Thats another thought that came to mind, why should or would all the newer rides need to be pixar based. I know that WDC like just inquired them or whatever but they cant forget that several decades before them, they were making quality animated films and quality attractions based off of them. I understand that Pixar has a better presence in the animated world today and there are some movies that they have yet to use and Im also not one to bash Pixar or one that hates their presence in the parks. Its just that its almost like WDC is afraid or doesnt wanna have anything to do with their own quality hand drawn animated films. And thats alittle sad.

What Disney Animated movie would you put a ride in based on? There isn't one! Kids don't know Disney animated movies because Disney hasn't made a good one in so long. PIXAR is Disney, same company now. So when people say Pixar you are talking about disney. I heard that Crush's coaster was going in right next Toy Story Mania where the Sorcerer Mickey Meet and Greet was. I can't remember where maybe it was Jim Hill.

uklad79

It will have to a be a mega version if they are going with the same as Crush's Coaster. It will need more than 1 track plus it will need to have more cars on the tracks. The capacity on that coaster in Paris is so low the lines are so long all day and move very slow. When I was their in July we noticed just how low the numbers of people going through the ride are. An exact clone would be a disaster in Orlando. Looking at the size of the building in Paris a double size would be needed in Orlando which I can not see fitting in where the old Hunchback Theatre is. Maybe this will replace the backlot and the building will be where the current Backlot starts? Fits in on Pixar Place and the patch of land is big enough once cleared.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
because comments like this show that none of you will actually bother to read the article I'll post it here to save you all that time of changing your adress bar:
Despite the snide inference in your tone, some of us did read the article.

My point is more related to the semantics of Mr. Hill's statement that they don't plan to "change" the name but rather to add one word. Well, adding one word is changing the name. Further, I don't see Disney changing it to add "Walt", as generally, the vast majority of guests think of Walt whenever "Disney" is mentioned [with respect to his brother and nephew, "Roy" doesn't come to mind first]. Why spend money to add something that does functionally add anything? TWDC is not in the business of spending money needlessly.

The article discusses re-theming the entire park to fit a certain concept, but admits that a number of attractions that are already there wouldn't and couldn't fit in with that theming. The likelihood of pulling it off in any kind of timely fashion without significant expense and park downtime says to me it won't happen anywhere other that Jim Hills imagination [where a lot of ideas seem to live and die].

WDWEric

I think what uklad79 said is what I heard about crush's coaster. I thought I heard they will keep the Harbor Attack set and the Catastrophe Canyon part of backlot tours but the rest would be gone to make room for Crush. Sounds good to me!

mehdimetru

I hope Crush's Coaster doesn't come to WDW, finally we got an attraction that's not been built at another park and WDW has to copy it. If it would be themed to Cars or something i wouldn't mind but not Nemo. First point, Can't Disneyland Paris have some unique attractions and second don't the american parks have too much Nemo?

erasure fan1

As much as I loved Nemo, keep this theme FAR away. I read the facts about the coaster at http://www.dlrpmagic.com/guides/15thanniversary/crushscoaster/guide.htm I have to say I like some parts but a few others not so much. The spinning part of the coaster could keep me from going on it but once. Me and spinning dont get along to well.:hurl: :lol: If they do bring this over the one theme I havent heard that would fit this system great would be the Incredibles. You can do some awesome stuff with the darkride and coaster parts.

Tom Morrow

Isn't Crush's Coaster basically just a Primeval Whirl type coaster model in a building? I hope they don't put something almost exactly the same at the Studios.

Lee

Adventurer
Isn't Crush's Coaster basically just a Primeval Whirl type coaster model in a building? I hope they don't put something almost exactly the same at the Studios.

Similar.
Different layout, different cars, indoor, dark ride portion, better themed....actually better in pretty much every way

kcnole

Crush's coaster turned out better than I expected but if you're going to bring it here, please, for God's sake, make it something aside from Nemo. We have PLENTY of Nemo in the parks already.

DABIGCHEEZ

Crush's coaster turned out better than I expected but if you're going to bring it here, please, for God's sake, make it something aside from Nemo. We have PLENTY of Nemo in the parks already.

Well said.... some originality at WDW would go a long way IMHO (Just look at EE!!)

WDWEric

Listen to yourselves complaing because The Studios might be getting a great attraction themed to nemo. What would you rather have a nemo themed crushs coaster or nothing?

WDWGuide

Similar.
Different layout, different cars, indoor, dark ride portion, better themed....actually better in pretty much every way

I don't know anything about the DSP coaster, but I noticed that the same company that built it also built the twin Winja coasters at good old Phantasialand, which are *awesome* - whereas Primeval Whirl is, to me, painful, uninteresting and nauseating.
If anyone has been on both Crush's coaster and the Winjas, I'd be thrilled to hear how the two (or three - whatever) compare.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom