Crunching the numbers...

awoogala

Original Poster
I have been researching DVC incessantly. We have been averaging 1 trip a year for the last 4 years, I want more! ( I spent my entire childhood spending at least 2 weeks a year at WDW!) Honestly, I want at least 2 trips a year!
The only thing holding me back from DVD is the other idea I have, of buying a trailer and going to fort wilderness for at least a month every winter! My other big concern is wanting to try out some moderates or values,but I think I can live with deluxe! ;-)
We homeschool, 2 kids, have lots of flexibility. We tend to go in "off-season times", February, Late January, September, thinking of October asap!
We do stay about a week at a time for now, or 7-8 days.
Because we go in off times, we think resale with a cheaper buy in might work, since 7 months out, downs't seem to be a huge issue at those times of the year, and the fact that we would like to try a new resort at least every other time- so if we had to pick a different resort, we would be fine with that!
I do like Boardwalk, and being near EPCOT. I think all the DVC resorts are pretty cool, though...except GF, that frou-frou style just makes me uncomfortable! I am desperate to stay at AK, VWL, etc.
So, long story short, we have the cash for buy in, just trying to see if I have missed something. Do I sound like a DVC member? Have I missed any important points? Tell me what you think!

awoogala

Original Poster
Oh, and our main confusion is how many points and where? Do we really need to buy at a resort we love? Or should we just go for SSR or OKW since we are flexible?

And since I forgot to say hello-Hi! I've been a longtime disboard member, but it's getting on my nerves, so I'm looking for a calmer Disney home!

Disneykidder

Sounds like you already know the answer to joining. It seems like you are like us. We had been debating for YEARS and finally took the pluge. We bought directly through Disney because we'd like to venture to other places but when we buy more points, it will most probably be on the resale market and just use those points at Disney. Our goal is 3 contracts, one for each child. As far as resale, do the math. Calculate yearly dues plus the purchase price divided by your time left on it to see if it is a good value. Some OKW resale contracts expire in 2042...the renewed ones are much longer. Also OKW has very high dues. You may pay more upfront for AKL or SSR but the years are longer and the dues are at least $1-$2 per point less.
We originally bought into Aulani but changed to BLT. (It was also more upfront but less dues so less overall.) It is hard to get into some resorts unless you use the 11 month window, which is why we switched. We will also be experiencing all of the resorts but want to stay at BLT while our kiddies are young. (monorail, boat ride...good location)
With that all said, you need to look at the place where you will most likely go and how often to determine the amount of points you will need to buy into. You can go at off times so points will be lower but if going multiple times, you may need more. Also, look at the kind of room you'd like...studio, 1 bedroom or 2 bedrooms. Right now we can squeeze into a studio because our youngest is 1 but in a couple of years, we will need to purchase more points to be able to stay in a 2 bedroom each time.

I hope I have helped. Welcome to the site and also to DVC, should you choose to. :)

ParentsOf4

Some points to consider:
  • DVC is not the least expensive way to stay at WDW. Financially, it only makes sense if you intend to stay at Deluxe Resorts.
  • Renting points from an existing member (or through a service that acts as an intermediary) means the financial breakeven point can be at least 8-to-10 years from now, even with a resale at a good price.
  • Since you go during off times, WDW is likely to offer "Room Only" and "Free Dining" discounts. You should factor this in when crunching the numbers.
P.S. I'm a DVC member at BWV and have an Excel spreadsheet I used to crunch the numbers.

ParentsOf4

Oh, and our main confusion is how many points and where? Do we really need to buy at a resort we love? Or should we just go for SSR or OKW since we are flexible?

And since I forgot to say hello-Hi! I've been a longtime disboard member, but it's getting on my nerves, so I'm looking for a calmer Disney home!
If you are looking on the resale market, avoid OKW. Disney has been exercising ROFR a lot on this property.

Buy at the resort you like the most. You mentioned you like the Boardwalk. Right now, you should be able to get BWV for around the same price as SSR. (Note that BWV expires in 2042 but, personally, I'm not too worried about my vacation plans 30 years from now.:))

awoogala

Original Poster
Thanks!
I know it's not the cheapest, but with being in a good place financially now, and not knowing where the prices will go, or if dh will love his high pressure sales job years from now, I like the idea of getting the points part-pre paid now, rather than paying the full prices each year. Yes, we get discounts, but we never go during "free"dining, since I never think it makes financial sense. We also try to avoid crowds at all costs (summer will never be on our list!). I am sure TIW would be A much better deal for us. That along with going to ap's, seems to make the numbers make sense for us. I would love to do 2 trip a year in a studio or 1 bedroom for now, switching to a 2 bedroom as the kids get older, with options to bring family members if we feel like it.
we love deluxe, we love theming, we love variety. I have considered akl, since the theming is right up our alley, but the distance to epcot kills me! ;-) Poly is my dream hotel, but staying there might not work for us since we love epcot a bit more than mk! (and there is no DVC ...yet!)
I think our main decision is which resort makes sense!

captainkidd

Some points to consider:
  • DVC is not the least expensive way to stay at WDW. Financially, it only makes sense if you intend to stay at Deluxe Resorts.
  • Renting points from an existing member (or through a service that acts as an intermediary) means the financial breakeven point can be at least 8-to-10 years from now, even with a resale at a good price.
  • Since you go during off times, WDW is likely to offer "Room Only" and "Free Dining" discounts. You should factor this in when crunching the numbers.
P.S. I'm a DVC member at BWV and have an Excel spreadsheet I used to crunch the numbers.

Can actually be longer if you get a really good deal.

You bring up the best points, and the reasons we ultimately decided against joining. With DVC, you're locked in, which is a good thing, but can also be a bad thing. Never any room discounts.

BCVTalsJam

Just do it :) Even if you don't have enough points per year for two trips you can always borrow from the next year. This is what we do casue we are always short 40 or so points a year for our two trips. (January and October (Our October trip is only 17 days away!!!)) If you go to Disney every year and you not only want to continue to do so and maybe spend some more time there I think DVC is right for you :)

BCVTalsJam

We are owners at the Beach Club Villas and our parets own and Boardwalk Villas...we love both resorts and the fact that we are so close to HS and Epoct.

captainkidd

Just do it :) Even if you don't have enough points per year for two trips you can always borrow from the next year. This is what we do casue we are always short 40 or so points a year for our two trips. (January and October (Our October trip is only 17 days away!!!)) If you go to Disney every year and you not only want to continue to do so and maybe spend some more time there I think DVC is right for you :)

I can never understand this logic to be so one-sided. Spending more time there is awesome, and something we all want to do, but DVC isn't the ONLY way this makes sense. You're still going to spend more money, just on DVC points instead.

pixargal

Another great thing about the Boardwalk DVC is the low number of points needed to stay in a standard room. A one week stay in a studio during the low season is only 76 points, so you could start off purchasing a smaller contract. But, these rooms do go quickly, so you would want the option of early booking as an owner at that resort.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Welcome. I am a DVC owner and crunched all of the numbers and figured out it worked for me. I agree with Parentsof4 that it definitely works best comparing to deluxe resorts. Resale will save you tons of money. If you plan on going twice a year you will greatly benefit from the discounted APs and potentially TIW. Keep in mind you do not need to buy enough points to cover 2 trips. You could pick up enough points to cover 1 of your 2 weeks each year. This way you can split time between values/moderates and DVC. You still would get the benefits of ownership. If you find that you only want to stay at DVC in the future you can always pick up another resale contract for more points.
Not sure how much calmer this place is, but definitely more interesting:). Some of the threads on Carsland and Avatar have been pretty heated and the alcohol in the MK one got plain nasty.

BCVTalsJam

I can never understand this logic to be so one-sided. Spending more time there is awesome, and something we all want to do, but DVC isn't the ONLY way this makes sense. You're still going to spend more money, just on DVC points instead.
Yea but after the loan is paid I have the points for 30 more years...we save a lot of money even now from what we use to spend...it's not for everybody but we love it and it works for us. It's wonderful to always stay at a deluxe resort every time and at such an amazing one like beach club. When it's time to go we only have to pay for flights and tickets but we have annual passes...which we get three visits out of. Again if u like to go Disney more than once a year it's a deal

captainkidd

Yea but after the loan is paid I have the points for 30 more years...we save a lot of money even now from what we use to spend...it's not for everybody but we love it and it works for us. It's wonderful to always stay at a deluxe resort every time and at such an amazing one like beach club. When it's time to go we only have to pay for flights and tickets but we have annual passes...which we get three visits out of. Again if u like to go Disney more than once a year it's a deal

And you also have annual dues for 30 more years.

I'm not trying to say DVC isn't a good deal in the long run. It most certainly CAN BE. But the way Disney paints the picture isn't as clear as it is. There are many more variables than just "for a one time purchase price versus rack rates." Last year, I stayed for 7 nights in a 1 bedroom villa at the Wilderness Lodge for $1,600 by renting points. Dues alone for that many points would have cost me $1,144. That's to say nothing of the $25,000 plus for the membership, plus interest on the loan.

I get a lot of flack on here for my indecision and flip-flopping on the DVC issue, but one thing I feel VERY strongly about and won't stop doing, is informing people who are on the fence that while it can be a good deal, it's not as wonderful as Disney would have you believe.

The whole "if you go to Disney more than once a year" answer simply doesn't hold water to me. If you go more than once a year, you just need more points, which equals possibly more interest charges, and definitely more annual dues.

dvcnut

DVC may not be the cheapest way to go, but it is the best way imo.

Since all of the DVC resorts are pretty amazing, I would recommend researching them all online (i.e. the floorplans, the hotel amenities, location, etc. and see which is the best fit for your family.

BCVTalsJam

And you also have annual dues for 30 more years.

I'm not trying to say DVC isn't a good deal in the long run. It most certainly CAN BE. But the way Disney paints the picture isn't as clear as it is. There are many more variables than just "for a one time purchase price versus rack rates." Last year, I stayed for 7 nights in a 1 bedroom villa at the Wilderness Lodge for $1,600 by hrenting points. Dues alone for that many points would have cost me $1,144. That's to say nothing of the $25,000 plus for the membership, plus interest on the loan.

I get a lot of flack on here for my indecisionn and flip-flopping on the DVC issue, but one thing I feel VERY strongly about and won't stop doing, is informing people who are on the fence that while it can be a good deal, it's not as wonderful as Disney would have you believe.

The whole "if you go to Disney more than once a year" answer simply doesn't hold water to me. If you go more than once a year, you just need more points, which equals possibly more interest charges, and definitely more annual dues.

I just want to say we went for a total of 16 days in the past year (2 trips)and even with my loan and annual dues we have paid a hundred dollars more than your one trip. Again to each their own and honestly I don't mind paying 44.00 a month for 30 years if I can go to Disney with my family. Dvc sounds like a scam to some but it's how the bills work out in the entire time of the time share. I already have not paid as much as you and also saved 150.00 each on my annual passes this past year. So again to each their own. If you want to pay cash evey time you go that's great...but I like the fact that I can stay at a deluxe resort every time we go and don't have to find the money for it since its paid monthly. (its all convience) it really helps when planning a trip that the hotel is paid. I use to be like you my family has gone to Disney for 20 some years and trust me I don't do things that are going to waste money (which if I think about it we have spent a small fortune) and this has saved my family and I a lot of cash. I think it's hard to judge Dvc if your not a member but I can tell you as a customer who has paid cash for over 25 years getting the free meal plan deals that you pay for anyway with the money they charge you...Disney doesn't give anything away for free lol...we have saved a lot more in the last few years that we have been members. It's all how you make Disney work for you and trust me I have been there saying that Dvc is a waste with the fees and such but I'm telling you now it really has gotten us to Disney more in one year for cheaper then it ever did as paying cash. It also allows us to go to Disney land and Hawaii as well as going to see my wife's family in Another country where we can still use our points. What ever way you slice it DVC is for me and I am sure I'm not the only member who can back up this statement. No disrespect here just wanted to tell why it works for my family. Again if cash works for you then great and jeep those trips coming! :)

captainkidd

Sorry, but your math makes absolutely zero sense. You say you went for 16 days last year. You claim your dues are $44 per month. That comes out to $528 in dues for the year. At $5.50 per point, you would only have 96 points. Are you trying to tell me that you stayed 16 nights at the Beach Club Villas on 96 points? During the slowest times of the year, you would still need 244 points for that many nights in a studio. Sorry - Not buying it.
And if you think that $44 per month is always going to stay the same, you've got another thing coming.

This is the thing that really upsets me about DVC. Some, not all, members seem almost delusional about what they're actually spending. Either that or they're not telling the truth.

As is always said, you have to compare apples to apples. I paid $1,600 for a 1 bedroom. For the studio, I would have paid about $850.

BCVTalsJam

I just want to say we went for a total of 16 days in the past year (2 trips)and even with my loan and annual dues we have paid a hundred dollars more than your one trip. Again to each their own and honestly I don't mind paying 44.00 a month for 30 years if I can go to Disney with my family. Dvc sounds like a scam to some but it's how the bills work out in the entire time of the time share. I already have not paid as much as you and also saved 150.00 each on my annual passes this past year. So again to each their own. If you want to pay cash evey time you go that's great...but I like the fact that I can stay at a deluxe resort every time we go and don't have to find the money for it since its paid monthly. (its all convience) it really helps when planning a trip that the hotel is paid. I use to be like you my family has gone to Disney for 20 some years and trust me I don't do things that are going to waste money (which if I think about it we have spent a small fortune) and this has saved my family and I a lot of cash. I think it's hard to judge Dvc if your not a member but I can tell you as a customer who has paid cash for over 25 years getting the free meal plan deals that you pay for anyway with the money they charge you...Disney doesn't give anything away for free lol...we have saved a lot more in the last few years that we have been members. It's all how you make Disney work for you and trust me I have been there saying that Dvc is a waste with the fees and such but I'm telling you now it really has gotten us to Disney more in one year for cheaper then it ever did as paying cash. It also allows us to go to Disney land and Hawaii as well as going to see my wife's family in Another country where we can still use our points. What ever way you slice it DVC is for me and I am sure I'm not the only member who can back up this statement. No disrespect here just wanted to tell why it works for my family. Again if cash works for you then great and jeep those trips coming! :)
We also get a discount of each meal plan we buy and we always pay the same for the meal plan even in the peak seasons. Try booking a seven day trip around Christmas and if you have like we did not to long ago before DVC...it's a lot more than 1600.00 lol...they may be a little more points at thy time but it allows for us to go then and not have to find the cash again. But if you use Dvc for all it's worth it is definately worth the money and it saves you money. If your only going for 7 days a year and also would like other trip options other than Disney then by all means do not buy into Dvc...but if you have as many memories as we have at Disney and can't wait till you go back when your walking out those gates than I would at least check it out. :) once I pay off my loan I will be honest with you ill be paying 44 a month which at year is 540 some dollars...excuse my math. We u will still be booking your 1600 dollar trips and I can go for around 200 a trip. Again it's all in how you slice it and how much you see yourself going. It's a big decision yes but ill tell you now it's the best decision my family has ever made.

captainkidd

Again, you're obviously talking about a studio. I'm talking about a 1 bedroom. You're not using correct math.

And DVC is absolutely, 100% NOT a scam. I'll go to war with anyone any day of the week who says it is.

BCVTalsJam

Wel
Sorry, but your math makes absolutely zero sense. You say you went for 16 days last year, yet you only paid $528 in dues for the year. At $5.50 per point, you would only have 96 points. Are you trying to tell me that you stayed 16 nights at the Beach Club Villas on 96 points? During the slowest times of the year, you would still need 244 points for that many nights in a studio. Sorry - Not buying it.
And if you think that $44 per month is always going to stay the same, you've got another thing coming.

This is the thing that really upsets me about DVC. Some, not all, members seem almost delusional about what they're actually spending. Either that or they're not telling the truth.

Well I'm not lying to you and my math is not off I'm paying the bills...but I don't need to defend my decision to someone who is not paying a Dvc bill. Dvc has lots of options for us and we make our two trips a year work. This will be the lad thing I write about this because I think people should make their own decisions. It's hard to hear from someone who had not been involved as a member telling everyone it's not worth it. It's like telling people Walmart sucks but have never shopped there. Go to a Dvc seminar or get. A good deal a a resale and see if it can work for you an your bills.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom