CRT New Upcharge

Calmdownnow

Anyone else remember when package offerings actually gave you a break over the total, aggregate cost?
In April 2011 my two teenage sons and I did a one-night (yes, back then you could do it for just one night) Platinum Plan package at The Contemporary. We booked a Garden Room but got up-graded to the main building. The cost, for 3 Disney adults, was $2186.54. It seems a lot, but for that price we got:
the hotel room;
3 x 7 day Magic Your Way Hoppers;
3 x 3-course dinners at California Grill and Yachtsman Steak House
3 x lunch at The Wave
1 Illuminations firework cruise
3 Cirque du Soleil tickets
2 Swedish massages
1 Spa facial
2 x Epcot Segway tour
2 x Living Seas Aqua tour
3 x Epcot Dolphins in Depth tour
2 x Sammy Duvall tubing/wakeboarding
1 x Sammy Duvall parasailing
1 Nascar ride.

Although only a one night stay, the plan spread over arrival day and departure day. I think we got more than our money's worth. Needless to say, Disney spotted the "loophole" and introduced a minimum of 3 or 4 nights for the Platinum Plan in subsequent years...

fngoofy

Serious stupid question. I did not go until 2000 so our first time there definitely were "extras" experiences that could be purchased. So am I correct that there were no such things prior?

not sure if I would call it "class warfare". I mean all these offerings are open to anyone who wants to purchase them right?
Yes, but on a much smaller scale. Back in 1977, Diamond Horseshoe Review was an add on ticket if you wanted to see the show.
BUT
Frankly, the whole experience of going to MK was an "add on" experience. There was the ticketing system for riding rides. No E Ticket? No PotC.
So, you were digging into your wallet to buy add on ticket books. You could buy a small book of just E tickets to supplement your main ticket book. You could also buy mix Tic add ons as well, but the Es always depleted first.
I can remember having to ration what we road big time.

I can still remember one of the in park ticket booths, back by where the Pooh meet and greet is now (by the ride.) I think it was a film kiosk for a few years after the ticket system was retired. It was a tiny booth with a pointed roof if I remember correctly.

Just tried to find a pic but couldn't. But apparently there are a few remnants of them, the DVC info booth in tomorrowland is a former one I believe.

Last edited:

Brad Bishop

Your first two examples are two of the most predatory, low customer satisfaction businesses going. Typical of you actually.

And this is where I disagree. "Predatory" and "gouging" are overused/misused and remove responsibility from the purchaser.

The post about the girl who was disable/not all there and family kept taking advantage of her? Yep, I'm with you there. That's predatory because she doesn't have all her wits about her (that's not to meant to be insulting - just stating a fact).

You having the option to purchase something or not based on some price? That's not predatory. There are options. There are options for cable, internet, and mobile. "Predatory" is often used with the credit industry but it always gives the buyer a pass:
- What mistakes did you make to get to this point?
- Will signing up for this high-interest credit solve that? (people typically double down on their mistakes instead of taking a look at themselves and thinking, "Huh - I need to do better at managing my finances"

Gouging is misused much the same way. Say a hurricane hits FL. All of the generators in the stores are immediately sold out because the law removes the supply and demand aspect from it. If, say, Home Depot were allowed to raise the price of the generator then they'd be able to drive in more generators from other stores. The same would happen with people outside of the area going to their local stores and driving down to FL with generators and fresh water in tow. Yeah, it's going to cost more but NOW you have that option. You can always say, "No. I don't want to pay 2x for a single generator or water or whatever." With the "anti-gouging" laws in place you DON'T have that option.

Those laws essentially say, "You have to stay thirsty and in the dark until things get back to normal NO MATTER WHAT YOU'D BE WILLING TO PAY!"

Yeah, those law feel great until you'd like a generator and didn't buy one before the storm. The make no sense and legally force you to be at a disadvantage AND rob you of your freedom to purchase things at market prices because folks wanted to "feel good" about some law.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
And this is where I disagree. "Predatory" and "gouging" are overused/misused and remove responsibility from the purchaser.

The post about the girl who was disable/not all there and family kept taking advantage of her? Yep, I'm with you there. That's predatory because she doesn't have all her wits about her (that's not to meant to be insulting - just stating a fact).

You having the option to purchase something or not based on some price? That's not predatory. There are options. There are options for cable, internet, and mobile. "Predatory" is often used with the credit industry but it always gives the buyer a pass:
- What mistakes did you make to get to this point?
- Will signing up for this high-interest credit solve that? (people typically double down on their mistakes instead of taking a look at themselves and thinking, "Huh - I need to do better at managing my finances"

Gouging is misused much the same way. Say a hurricane hits FL. All of the generators in the stores are immediately sold out because the law removes the supply and demand aspect from it. If, say, Home Depot were allowed to raise the price of the generator then they'd be able to drive in more generators from other stores. The same would happen with people outside of the area going to their local stores and driving down to FL with generators and fresh water in tow. Yeah, it's going to cost more but NOW you have that option. You can always say, "No. I don't want to pay 2x for a single generator or water or whatever." With the "anti-gouging" laws in place you DON'T have that option.

Those laws essentially say, "You have to stay thirsty and in the dark until things get back to normal NO MATTER WHAT YOU'D BE WILLING TO PAY!"

Yeah, those law feel great until you'd like a generator and didn't buy one before the storm. The make no sense and legally force you to be at a disadvantage AND rob you of your freedom to purchase things at market prices because folks wanted to "feel good" about some law.
I’m not gonna go point for point here because it’s pointless(HA!) but suffice it to say, you are dead wrong, especially in regards to price gouging. I own a business where I could price gouge in an emergency situation. However, it would only serve to enrich me. It wouldn’t allow me to do anything more to serve the community I am in. This isn’t hypothetical for me. It’s a reality I have had to deal with.

Edit to add...

I don’t think you even understand the price gouging laws.

Brad Bishop

I’m not gonna go point for point here because it’s pointless(HA!) but suffice it to say, you are dead wrong, especially in regards to price gouging. I own a business where I could price gouge in an emergency situation. However, it would only serve to enrich me. It wouldn’t allow me to do anything more to serve the community I am in. This isn’t hypothetical for me. It’s a reality I have had to deal with.

Edit to add...

I don’t think you even understand the price gouging laws.

I do understand them. Maybe your business, long term, would see a detriment to "gouging". The reality is that what is called "gouging" is the market at work.

If a generator is $1000 everyday but after a hurricane, without anti-gouging laws, becomes valued at $2000 or even $3000, then, if someone is willing to pay that, THAT is exactly what it's worth at that time. In that same instance, if enough people see that they can buy something locally at $1000, drive down to FL and sell it for $3000, then that $3000 price will start coming down because supply will start coming in all on it's own. If someone drives down and tries to sell that same generator at $3000 but there are 10 others selling it at $2000 (or less, perhaps, if the market starts to get saturated) then they're simply not going to sell that generator.

Conversely, if you want to stick to, "I don't want to be gouged!," then you have two choices:
1) Plan ahead and buy the generator at $1000
2) When the storm hits, do without.

The beauty of not having the anti-gouging law is that you have the freedom to choose to just do without, which is the same result as having a law tell you, "YOU MUST DO WITHOUT."

The problem is that the same law that you agree with, and remember, even if that generator is for sale for $2000 you can still stounchly say, "I'll do without!," applies to everyone else. You're essentially forcing everyone who doesn't agree with you to "DO WITHOUT!" when they may very well be willing to take the hit and have electricity for $2000.

Feel good laws like the anti-gouging laws actually legally force people in need to suffer even though they may have the means to fix their situation.

I really think this, and the use of "predatory" as an adjective for things like lending, are political feel-good items that have just caught on and no one has really thought about it other than they've been told over and over again, "predatory lending is bad," and, "anti-gouging laws are good!" So they just accept them without further thought.

Disneyson

You are forgetting that tax is included in the after fireworks dessert party and as for gratuity the website says "gratuity (singular) not included or required". However, the "signature experience" says "plus tax and gratuities (plural)". So, you still have to pay at the restaurant. You still get the check at the end of the meal. There is no "paid upfront" experience that negates getting a bill at the end of the meal. And are you serious about doing a proposal at Cinderella's Royal Table? Right next to the flip-flop wearing t-shirted father trying to calm a screaming 3 year-old who is crying because her brother took her tiara off her head? I guess that's romantic?

And by saying, "gratiuties" is Disney implying you should tip for both the restaurant and the dessert party, even though the regular dessert party description specifically says it's not necessary? I wouldn't put it past them.

I think you’re right about the gratuity. I think that they just stuck an “s” in there because the copywriter of the article didn’t know the policy of the dessert party. The money doesn’t go directly into Disney’s pockets with gratuity, I doubt they care very much how much you tip, so I don’t think they did that on purpose.

So yeah, presumably you have to sign for a gratuity at the end. Bit of a shame. A regular meal at CRT doesn’t include gratuity either, though, so the pricing I outlined still stands, save for whatever the tax is.

People do propose at the castle quite often, I’ve seen it. I believe the standard thing they do is put the ring in a white chocolate glass slipper. Searching “Cinderella’s Royal Table Proposal” brings up a lot of reviews and videos.

I think my argument still stands, this experience is about $35 - $40 more for the security that you will get a reserved time at CRT before the fireworks and the “extras”. It just depends on if they are worth it for you.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I do understand them. Maybe your business, long term, would see a detriment to "gouging". The reality is that what is called "gouging" is the market at work.

If a generator is $1000 everyday but after a hurricane, without anti-gouging laws, becomes valued at $2000 or even $3000, then, if someone is willing to pay that, THAT is exactly what it's worth at that time. In that same instance, if enough people see that they can buy something locally at $1000, drive down to FL and sell it for $3000, then that $3000 price will start coming down because supply will start coming in all on it's own. If someone drives down and tries to sell that same generator at $3000 but there are 10 others selling it at $2000 (or less, perhaps, if the market starts to get saturated) then they're simply not going to sell that generator.

Conversely, if you want to stick to, "I don't want to be gouged!," then you have two choices:

The beauty of not having the anti-gouging law is that you have the freedom to choose to just do without, which is the same result as having a law tell you, "YOU MUST DO WITHOUT."

The problem is that the same law that you agree with, and remember, even if that generator is for sale for $2000 you can still stounchly say, "I'll do without!," applies to everyone else. You're essentially forcing everyone who doesn't agree with you to "DO WITHOUT!" when they may very well be willing to take the hit and have electricity for $2000.

Feel good laws like the anti-gouging laws actually legally force people in need to suffer even though they may have the means to fix their situation.

I really think this, and the use of "predatory" as an adjective for things like lending, are political feel-good items that have just caught on and no one has really thought about it other than they've been told over and over again, "predatory lending is bad," and, "anti-gouging laws are good!" So they just accept them without further thought.
I’m not gonna continue this here. Feel free to DM me if you want to talk more about it.

Lest anyone read what you wrote and think it’s true though, let me just say, what you wrote is wrong in both theory and practice.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Does driving thru on your way to WDW count?
If so ...
285481E8-F133-4539-BAB1-A7D010501A93.jpeg

Tanna Eros

Wow, then I agree with the other poster. you drop a couple of grand on a vacation anywhere and don't bother to open up a guide book or even go on one of the 50000 free disney planning sites, the quality of your trip is seriously on you.

Fp+ and adr's are basic information found everywhere. someone who does not know about 180 day adr reservation practices willful ignorance.

How do they manage to even book the trip?? Lol Disneyworld.com front page has fp+ on it.
Sorry imo that is not a Disney problem.
I was just going to show up at the park, until a friend who used to live in Florida told me to come here.
I think it's very possible for someone to have a passe view of DisneyWorld. I was one of them.
Imagine my shock and surprise at showing up at a completely different park than what I envisioned.
I wouldn't have known Fastpass from the Queen's corgis If not for all you people.

ImperfectPixie

I was just going to show up at the park, until a friend who used to live in Florida told me to come here.
I think it's very possible for someone to have a passe view of DisneyWorld. I was one of them.
Imagine my shock and surprise at showing up at a completely different park than what I envisioned.
I wouldn't have known Fastpass from the Queen's corgis If not for all you people.
And then there are those people who always use a travel agent, but refuse to follow said agent's advice...and end up super angry because they weren't able to experience basically anything. (I have a friend who is a TA who had a client refuse both FP+ reservations AND ADRs - for the week of Thanksgiving - yet still expected to eat a sit-down, turkey dinner.)

Tanna Eros

Yes, but on a much smaller scale. Back in 1977, Diamond Horseshoe Review was an add on ticket if you wanted to see the show.
BUT
Frankly, the whole experience of going to MK was an "add on" experience. There was the ticketing system for riding rides. No E Ticket? No PotC.
So, you were digging into your wallet to buy add on ticket books. You could buy a small book of just E tickets to supplement your main ticket book. You could also buy mix Tic add ons as well, but the Es always depleted first.
I can remember having to ration what we road big time.

I can still remember one of the in park ticket booths, back by where the Pooh meet and greet is now (by the ride.) I think it was a film kiosk for a few years after the ticket system was retired. It was a tiny booth with a pointed roof if I remember correctly.

Just tried to find a pic but couldn't. But apparently there are a few remnants of them, the DVC info booth in tomorrowland is a former one I believe.
Don't worry about the photo. I remember for you. The experience was tiered even back then. I recall the ticket booths. The E-tickets were the dessert party equivalent back then. A kid looked at their E-tickets like it was a 20 dollar bill.

Brooklin Disney Dad

Disney’s new slogan: “the wealthiest place on earth!”
It is becoming a place for the haves, not the have nots. Stay at their hotels, use their transportation, eat their food. Membership has its privileges. The perks are for those that want to or are fortunate to spend a little more. Taking space away from regular park goers to create prime viewing spots for fireworks is just one example. Solution: find another viewing spot.
It is what it is. Complaining about it won’t do anything. Everything has a price point. Disney just can’t find theirs yet!😢. If it’s beyond your price point, like it is mine, trips become less frequent. Problem solved. You don’t need a mouse to make magical moments with your family.

Tony the Tigger

Well, I at least agree that “gouging” is overused - for example, someone putting their orange bird sippy cup on eBay for triple what they paid for it is not gouging. It’s selling a collectible item for whatever the market will bear.

Disney selling it for triple certainly reeks of gouging, but IMO that’s a slippery slope. Plenty of items retail for way more than triple wholesale, and nobody knows or cares.

Charging triple for insulin IS gouging, IMO. People need that to live.

Home Depot charging higher than retail for a generator after a hurricane is problematic. An average citizen IMO can do it if they want to assume the risk of losing out on that proposition.

Limiting Home Depot and gas stations from jacking up prices in a natural disaster is not any kind of loss of freedom or however you were trying to mischaracterize it.

Hurricane season is not a surprise. Nothing prevents Home Depot from stocking up in August. Publix brings in truckloads of water.

And nothing prevents them from moving stock over from Georgia along with their regular trucks, and still profiting (or even breaking even and coming through for the community that keeps them in business.)

There’s a difference between doing something illegal vs. unethical. I get it.

But I have no issue with anti gouging laws in a hurricane. The idea you’ll get more if they’re $3k is a myth. They’re all sold out everywhere - even on Amazon - within 24 hours.

Either way, you can still do without, and the reason most folks do is pricing even at regular retail.

(Side note: what they need to do is allow us to use our own solar panels to power our homes instead of running them through FPL first. A simple emergency switch would do nicely, and many people wouldn’t need generators.

Back on topic, a princess dinner is not even in the realm of gouging.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom