CRT New Upcharge

Brad Bishop

Limiting Home Depot and gas stations from jacking up prices in a natural disaster is not any kind of loss of freedom or however you were trying to mischaracterize it.

Think about what you're writing: You are literally saying that limiting someone is not a loss a freedom.

This isn't: "Limiting someone from killing another human being.."

This is: "I have something to sell. Suddenly you need it and I think the price just went up. You're telling me I MUST limit that price to what it was before or face legal consequences." How is that not limiting MY freedom on what to sell what I own?

At the very same time you are limiting the buyer by saying: "Once they're gone at regular prices they're just gone. Even if someone wanted to sell it to you at a higher price THAT'S GOUGING! and must be stopped. We, the government, have deemed it illegal for you to purchase the item that you're willing to pay for at a higher price. You MUST live without it."

But I have no issue with anti gouging laws in a hurricane. The idea you’ll get more if they’re $3k is a myth. They’re all sold out everywhere - even on Amazon - within 24 hours.

So, if I'm in Maine, there's some price where I'm thinking, "You know what. I'll rent a U-Haul and load it up with $1000 generators and drive it down myself." Anti-gouging laws stop that.

Watch a few of the John Stossel videos to see where I'm coming from:

Minthorne

My experience has been on pre-pay events at Disney that list a price that does not include tax and gratuity is that the tax and gratuity is added to the listed price at the time of purchase/booking.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Think about what you're writing: You are literally saying that limiting someone is not a loss a freedom.

This isn't: "Limiting someone from killing another human being.."

This is: "I have something to sell. Suddenly you need it and I think the price just went up. You're telling me I MUST limit that price to what it was before or face legal consequences." How is that not limiting MY freedom on what to sell what I own?

At the very same time you are limiting the buyer by saying: "Once they're gone at regular prices they're just gone. Even if someone wanted to sell it to you at a higher price THAT'S GOUGING! and must be stopped. We, the government, have deemed it illegal for you to purchase the item that you're willing to pay for at a higher price. You MUST live without it."

So, if I'm in Maine, there's some price where I'm thinking, "You know what. I'll rent a U-Haul and load it up with $1000 generators and drive it down myself." Anti-gouging laws stop that.

Watch a few of the John Stossel videos to see where I'm coming from:

Oh, I already suspected that’s where you were coming from. Take it to the politics sub-forum.

There are limits on speed, speech, guns, and more where individual freedoms are outweighed by the public good.

/rabbit hole 🕳 in the wrong place.

Disneyson

I think we should re-direct to talking about concrete products and their pros and cons instead of the ethics of the economy overall, which could get the thread locked quickly should the turn become politically charged and vitriolic.

I think that some perspective should be added, in that Disney is asking for apxx. $45 for the convenience of essentially planning their evening with a few small perks. Some people, like my mother, will find value in someone planning their evening, much like some prefer to go on guided tours. You could cobble the thing together for some less money, of course, but that’s what some think is worth it.

Should the price be lowered, or gratuity added into the cost? Probably. But I don’t think this is a “scam” any more than a “hotel fee” is at certain top-level hotels, or Disneyland’s MaxPass, even though you could achieve a very similar day without spending the extra money.

The Rivers Of Light Dessert Party, for me, is NOT worth it. The main event is subpar and there is no need for premium seats at the show. I believe that the this package, which includes the exclusive time with Cinderella and Charming as well as the booze, will not “disappoint” anybody who purchases it. I think, for example, people purchasing “premium seats” for Festival of the Lion King or Rivers Of Light are being duped. I don’t think this is a bad product, just a little overpriced.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I think we should re-direct to talking about concrete products and their pros and cons instead of the ethics of the economy overall, which could get the thread locked quickly should the turn become politically charged and vitriolic.

I think that some perspective should be added, in that Disney is asking for apxx. $45 for the convenience of essentially planning their evening with a few small perks. Some people, like my mother, will find value in someone planning their evening, much like some prefer to go on guided tours. You could cobble the thing together for some less money, of course, but that’s what some think is worth it.

Should the price be lowered, or gratuity added into the cost? Probably. But I don’t think this is a “scam” any more than a “hotel fee” is at certain top-level hotels, or Disneyland’s MaxPass, even though you could achieve a very similar day without spending the extra money.

The Rivers Of Light Dessert Party, for me, is NOT worth it. The main event is subpar and there is no need for premium seats at the show. I believe that the this package, which includes the exclusive time with Cinderella and Charming as well as the booze, will not “disappoint” anybody who purchases it. I think, for example, people purchasing “premium seats” for Festival of the Lion King or Rivers Of Light are being duped. I don’t think this is a bad product, just a little overpriced.
Hotel Fees are scams though. And should be subject to legislation.

seascape

Hotel Fees are scams though. And should be subject to legislation.
Hotel fees and extra charges are not subject to the hotel tax. Therefore if the choice is a $6.00 fee for grocery delivery to the room or charging $4.00 more for every room plus the hotel tax, I say charge the $6.00 to those eho use the service. Why should everyone pay more in taxes for a non essential cost? Change the hotel tax and then eliminate the fees. Until that is done hotels are actually saving their customers money by having these fees instead of including the cost in the room price.

eliza61nyc

OP could certainly choose not to do the upsell. But they are out of luck unless they want a really early or really late dinner (since it's package only for the prime seating of the night). They can do battle getting one of the other times.
CRT has always been a popular adr to come by. This isn't causing that.

eliza61nyc

Of course it isn't. This doesn't even start until August. So it will make a hard ADR even harder to get.
Got it, I thought you meant that now ADRs for CRT will be hard to get.
It might not turn out as popular as they (Disney) want, it's pretty steep

fngoofy

Disney’s new slogan: “the wealthiest place on earth!”
It is becoming a place for the haves, not the have nots. Stay at their hotels, use their transportation, eat their food. Membership has its privileges. The perks are for those that want to or are fortunate to spend a little more. Taking space away from regular park goers to create prime viewing spots for fireworks is just one example. Solution: find another viewing spot.
It is what it is. Complaining about it won’t do anything. Everything has a price point. Disney just can’t find theirs yet!😢. If it’s beyond your price point, like it is mine, trips become less frequent. Problem solved. You don’t need a mouse to make magical moments with your family.
Yes, and it has always been that way. From the early Ticket system that people look back on with nostalgia, to staying at one of the two on site hotels.
Fun fact, back in the day you couldn't ride the Resort Monorail unless you showed your Resort ID. So unless you had a dinner reservation (rare unto itself) at the resort, you couldn't even visit. No parking if you weren't staying there and no Monorail if you weren't staying there.
The most egalitarian thing WDW ever had was the EPCOT dinner reservations were only same day. Meaning only same day, no advanced reservations. If you were park hopping, and were in MK in the morning and EPCOT in the evening, you had to send a runner out to EPCOT at rope drop to get your dinner res in. Then they would meet up with you on the fly.
No phoning in the res, you had to walk up to a kiosk and video chat with a CM.

Minnie1976

Is the only way to eat and experience the castle now is purchasing this package or can you still eat in the castle for breakfast and lunch without purchasing this package?

awoogala

I was just going to show up at the park, until a friend who used to live in Florida told me to come here.
I think it's very possible for someone to have a passe view of DisneyWorld. I was one of them.
Imagine my shock and surprise at showing up at a completely different park than what I envisioned.
I wouldn't have known Fastpass from the Queen's corgis If not for all you people.
Last summer, I met a huge family (8 of them around the smoking area, kids in strollers outside). They were talking about the fp. I asked what time it was for, and to make sure (since it was their first time!) to download the app so they could try for another fp later on. They told me that they were good, they had "paid for fp, so they were just going to go on thunder mtn. next!" A few more moments of chatting, and I'm still not sure they quite understood. Their ticket cards said fp+, they thought that meant they could just go and use a fp when they felt like it. I think it's understandable- Universal, Great Adventure, Kings Dominion- all offer "instant fp" for a fee. This family believed that is what they had. I feel very sorry for the cm that had to explain it to them when it didn't work.

Tanna Eros

Last summer, I met a huge family (8 of them around the smoking area, kids in strollers outside). They were talking about the fp. I asked what time it was for, and to make sure (since it was their first time!) to download the app so they could try for another fp later on. They told me that they were good, they had "paid for fp, so they were just going to go on thunder mtn. next!" A few more moments of chatting, and I'm still not sure they quite understood. Their ticket cards said fp+, they thought that meant they could just go and use a fp when they felt like it. I think it's understandable- Universal, Great Adventure, Kings Dominion- all offer "instant fp" for a fee. This family believed that is what they had. I feel very sorry for the cm that had to explain it to them when it didn't work.
And after reading everything about FP on this forum, looking at videos, reading articles, I would still be like that old lady at the Self Checkout at the grocery when it would come to scheduling the next FP, I guarantee you. I would have to stand aside, losing a few chances, and watch to see people do it a few times before I'd get the hang.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom