Crowds from Dec. 25 to Dec 29

hoke2007

I've been to disney over spring break and it really didn't seem too overwhelming to me, but on Saturday I leave for WDW for a whole week and was wondering how comparable the crowds are on Christmas vs. Easter break. Thanks!!!

DisneyJoe

Well, same week last year, Christmas week, 3 of the 4 parks reached capacity and had to close the gates to guests for at least part of the day.

I rarely hear of that happening during spring break.

Upvote 0

Eyekimore

Ditto! Get there early and use Fastpass! It is very busy. We usually do more shows than anything at this time of year. Any ride we get on is a bonus. (Of course we go more than once a year.) If this is a rare trip- meaning if you don't get to come to WDW often- you might be disappointed at wait times, packed busses, full restaurants, etc.

Upvote 0

nolatron

Our trip is starting on the 26th and we're expecting it to be real busy. I planned all our lunch ADR's at in-park locations (rather than resorts) this year, so we don't have to leave the park and risk getting locked out. That would be no fun.

We'll be using fast passes, but also will be skipping a lot of rides (wife will be 32 weeks pregnant). But yeah, be prepared for long lines and big crowds.

And keep an eye on the weather. It's Florida, but it can still get pretty nippy in the morning/evening.

Upvote 0

hoke2007

Original Poster
Ditto! Get there early and use Fastpass! It is very busy. We usually do more shows than anything at this time of year. Any ride we get on is a bonus. (Of course we go more than once a year.) If this is a rare trip- meaning if you don't get to come to WDW often- you might be disappointed at wait times, packed busses, full restaurants, etc.

So is it impossible to get on rides? I know that spring break is considered one of the most crowded times of the year and I managed to get on everything I wanted to multiple times without having to wait for very long. My aunt/uncle took their family to WDW over thanksgiving and they got to do everything as well. I know that it'll be busy, but I'm just wondering how hard it is to see most everything. I've been there many times before and don't need to see everything, but I'd like to make the most out of my stay there. Thanks!

Upvote 0

mandib

We were there for Christmas last year and as everyone else has said it will be busy. BUT I've also been there for Easter and I don't think it's as bad. I think it may be worse at Easter just because of the weather. More people + warmer weather=not so pleasent. Although it was busy we had a great time and we'd totally go again. Have a great trip! (17 days till I go!)

Upvote 0

hoke2007

Original Poster
That wouldn't be horrible at all. When I was there during Easter break, I found that all the rides had a line, with the E-tickets getting pretty long in the afternoon/evening, but I avoided all the big lines by getting there early, using fastpasses, and looking for the short lines. I just don't know if that same strategy will work...

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

I've been to disney over spring break and it really didn't seem too overwhelming to me, but on Saturday I leave for WDW for a whole week and was wondering how comparable the crowds are on Christmas vs. Easter break. Thanks!!!

Christmas is busy - by comparison Easter in the parks will feel like they're almost empty.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

It's always been my understanding that between Christmas and New Years is the absolute busiest for WDW. That said, I've never had the urge to go at that time. In past years we've done everything we can to avoid the crowds. That's why we have taken our boys out of school for the trips. Judging by how tough it's been for my youngest to catch up this time (he got sick the last day at Disney and was home the following week with bronchitis) it's doubtful we'll take them out of school to go again. Either DH and I will go alone or suck it up and deal with Spring Break.

Good luck for Christmas week. Just tell yourself that no matter how long the lines are you're there. Soak up the ambiance and seek out little details you've never noticed before. :wave:

Upvote 0

hoke2007

Original Poster
Yeah, my plan is to wake up early, hit the big ones and then see what happens. What should I expect for numbers of attractions I can see in a day? 5 rides a day?

Upvote 0

smk

Yeah, my plan is to wake up early, hit the big ones and then see what happens. What should I expect for numbers of attractions I can see in a day? 5 rides a day?
I think that is the key....wake up early and get to the parks. We found most big attractions had given the FP's out for the day by around 11 am. We took our time, waited in the lines we wanted to and went to the other attractions we couldn't get FP's for during fireworks times or parade times. If you have an extra day in Epcot see Illuminations one night and ride the rides another night during Illuminations. It is insanely crowded and as much as I love going for the Holidays, we have been twice, I would not go again at that time. Good luck and have a great trip!

Upvote 0

hoke2007

Original Poster
Thanks! I'm not too worried about the crowds because I'm just too excited about being in Disney at Christmas. It should be another great trip for the family!!

Upvote 0

SallyShine

Thanks! I'm not too worried about the crowds because I'm just too excited about being in Disney at Christmas. It should be another great trip for the family!!

Just go and have fun. It's Christmas and you'll be at WDW. What's better than that? I always feel if you go into something with the right expectations, you won't be dissapointed. You know the lines will be long and you'll have to plan a little better. You know what you're getting into so make the best of it. You will have a great time.

Upvote 0

MSUGoGreen22

Go State!! I see you are a student at MSU, as am I. I'm really excited for the game and hopefully I'll be able to hit up a park or two. I went after Christmas and over New Years a few years ago with some friends and we were able to get on everything we wanted multiple times at the parks. They key was, we all walked very fast and stayed at the parks that were open real late. The later at night you are there the more families with younger kids leave and thus the shorter the lines. We were able to go on Splash Mountain about 4 or 5 times in a row around midnight one of the nights between Christmas and New Years. Just plan it out and have a lot of energy. Go Green!

Upvote 0

hoke2007

Original Poster
Yep, I'm a MSU Spartan! Thanks everyone for the tips. I'm gonna get some good sleep before I go so that I can get there before opening and stay all the way until the park closes. I've been there enough so that I don't need to ride everything, but I'm going to try to get in everything I want to.

Upvote 0

hoke2007

Original Poster
Just got back yesterday and it was wonderful. The crowds, while bad at times, weren't nearly as bad as I heard they were going to be. The weather was amazing everyday and everything just seemed to be magical. Our strategy was getting to the parks at opening, leaving at about 2 PM, then returning back to the parks at about 5/6 PM. It worked perfectly. We literally did everything twice (except for Finding Nemo: The Musical, Kilamanjaro Safaris, Test Track, and Carousel of Progress) and never had to wait more than 30 minutes for a ride, although we waited for Finding Nemo: The Musical and Lights Motors Action for an hour to ensure a great seat. We took advantage of the fastpasses (at times we had 3 separate fastpasses for about the same time) and looked for the rides without the long waits. Couldn't have asked for a better trip!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom