Crowds during "Jersey" week???

tchauvin

I want to plan my next trip in November (early) but I just heard something about "Jersey" week that takes place first week of November or close to....Is anyone familiar with this and how are the crowds????

Sparkle81

We will be going in November, and it is a great time to go. Different states have their own times down there but it won't affect your trip in any way. Epcot can get a little crazy during F&W, so we don't go there much. The Osborne lights are turned on the 9th at HS, and that is awesome.
That's great to know, thank you :)

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

Good choice on not changing your plans. I am from NJ and have been during that week many times, just recenty this past November. Crowds were no where near the holiday crowds like Christmas or Thanksgiving, etc... but F&W made Epcot VERY crowded, even on the weekdays it was crowded but mostly it was a quite the journey to get around World Showcase, since the mess of it all was mainly there. Other than that, we had a great time all week! Enjoy!

Upvote 0

christmasdisney

I'm a vacation club member, trying to get a vacation club room on November 8th, it's impossible. Could it be because of the race. I can get a studio and one bedroom at SS. The rest of the trip is at BLT. I have been their for Food and Wine and since I'm from Jersey during the "Jersey Week" Have never had this problem. I can always find something by the Magic Kingdom. The crowds were larger at the Showcase but we have met a lot of nice people there.

Upvote 0

Sweet Melissa

I'm a vacation club member, trying to get a vacation club room on November 8th, it's impossible. Could it be because of the race. I can get a studio and one bedroom at SS. The rest of the trip is at BLT. I have been their for Food and Wine and since I'm from Jersey during the "Jersey Week" Have never had this problem. I can always find something by the Magic Kingdom. The crowds were larger at the Showcase but we have met a lot of nice people there.
We had the same problem the week of our wedding (11/5) last year. We couldn't get anything other than Old Key West.

Upvote 0

ZiggyJr

I'm a Jersey girl.

I have no friggin accent, you do. Believe me, you do.

Yeah, I listen to Bruce Springsteen, go down the shore, and know every single location of where Tony Soprano ate dinner.

Don't change your Disney plans, I won't bother you. But chances are, your Kentucky accent will definitely amuse me.

Only Bennys go, "down the shore" and yes everyone has an accent.

Upvote 0

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Busy but manageable thanks mostly to Food & Wine crowds. It's really not that different than the week before or after, just a higher percentage of bad accents. :D

Careful, you'll be in a pair of cement boots if you keep that up.

We are planning a trip from November 9-15. I can't seem to get a clear picture about Jersey week.....If it is real or a myth. It seems that schools in NJ are on vacation and due to free dining, weather or low crowds, parents from NJ take the week to go to Disney. I cannot imagine that every family in NJ will be in Disney during that week which from what I can gather seems to be a low crowd time. :cat: Maybe someone from NJ can give us some onsite into this topic.

Not a myth. It's actual, and factual. But really, no impact on crowds. Just more really cool people in the parks.

Upvote 0

Disneygrl

I went in November a couple years ago and Jersey Week started the last couple days of my vacation. There was a definite increase in crowd compared to earlier that week, but it wasn't anything crazy. Nothing like the crowds during peak seasons. November is a great time to go IMO. Love the Food & Wine festival.

Upvote 0

epcot2004

Gotta watch out for those from NJ! All I can think of is the Family Guy episode with the Leafers invading upper New England. Originally from there and 23 years later have lost all of the accent (replaced with a new, probably worse one) but still can't say qwata (quarter) for some reason.:confused:

Upvote 0
We recently moved from New Jersey, and my husband's family still live there. The schools close for two days in early November for a teacher convention, so yeah, lots of families do tack a couple days on to that long weekend and take a vacation. We've taken several trips during Jersey Week and the weeks on either side of it, and the difference in crowds isn't noticeable at all. Just more Mets gear and NJ accents, really. Our Disney wedding was during Jersey Week this last year, which worked out for my MIL, who works for the schools. Crowds were like they always are at the tail end of Food & Wine. It's a good time to go.

Melissa, I was considering our wedding during "Jersey Week" too because that would be super cool to take advantage of food and wine at Epcot and Osbourne Lights and Magic Kingdom decorations which starts up right at the same time as the Xmas Party at Magic Kingdom. So it wasn't so bad during that time?

Upvote 0

Sweet Melissa

Melissa, I was considering our wedding during "Jersey Week" too because that would be super cool to take advantage of food and wine at Epcot and Osbourne Lights and Magic Kingdom decorations which starts up right at the same time as the Xmas Party at Magic Kingdom. So it wasn't so bad during that time?
It wasn't bad at all. I'd say that half of our WDW vacations at this point have overlapped Jersey Week, and while Food & Wine does get a little busier every year, that week is no worse for crowds than the weeks before and after. It's a great time to have a wedding, and a great time for anniversary trips.

Upvote 0
Awesome! Good to know. How is the weather then too? And since you go a lot during that time of year..what I'm trying to figure out is the food and wine festival dates for next year..does it always run two weekends in November? And then the Christmas Party and Osbourne lights are up by the first Mickeys Xmas party which is usually the first weekend in November? I'm trying to figure it all out. I go all the time I just never have had to try and figure out so far in advance which weekends will have all the events! Lol

I'm looking at Saturday November 5 or Saturday November 12, 2016. I'm hoping it will go as planned and food and wine will run into the second week of November and the Xmas party will start the weekend of the 5th as well. Does that sound probable? Lol any help is appreciated!

Upvote 0

Sweet Melissa

We were married on the 5th! It's a good date. It's the date that Doc Brown came up with the idea for the flux capacitor, which, as we all know, is what makes time travel possible. Plus, it's Guy Fawkes day, so you'll always "remember, remember the fifth of November" on your anniversary. The weather that time of year is ideal. Warm but not humid, and very little rain.

F&W is actually going a little later than usual this year, so you should get a good overlap of those festivities and holiday stuff. Christmas doesn't start appearing in Epcot until well after F&W is over, though.

Upvote 0
That is all too cute for the date!

I just heard on another board, Epcot private Illuminations dessert parties are blocked out on Fridays and Saturdays during food and wine. I'm devastated :(

Upvote 0

Sweet Melissa

I just heard on another board, Epcot private Illuminations dessert parties are blocked out on Fridays and Saturdays during food and wine. I'm devastated :(
It's true, but I think a private IllumiNations party can serve well as another wedding event. You could do one as a "welcome party" on Thursday so that out of town friends and family can meet/reconnect before the rehearsal on Friday.

Upvote 0
We were married on the 5th! It's a good date. It's the date that Doc Brown came up with the idea for the flux capacitor, which, as we all know, is what makes time travel possible. Plus, it's Guy Fawkes day, so you'll always "remember, remember the fifth of November" on your anniversary. The weather that time of year is ideal. Warm but not humid, and very little rain.

F&W is actually going a little later than usual this year, so you should get a good overlap of those festivities and holiday stuff. Christmas doesn't start appearing in Epcot until well after F&W is over, though.

Well we might be leaning towards a venue that offers a view of illuminations from the hotel venue itself being situated on the top floor of Buena vista palace hotel...so it might not matter if dessert parties would be blocked out during our date. :)

I know Epcot doesn't have Christmas decorations up until after food and wine..but some of the other parks like magic kingdom and Hollywood studios have Xmas stuff up as of the first week in November if I'm not mistaken. I would definitely want to find that all out before picking a date. It's 2016 not 2015 so it's kind of hard to plan that far in advance when you don't know the exact dates for things at Disney that far in advance. Like we would like to do it right at the end of the food and wine festival when the first Mickey's very merry Xmas party starts in November because Christmas decorations are up at that point in magic kingdom and I think Osborne lights starts around then too but we court still hit food and wine :)...I know the resorts and Epcot doesn't start till around after thanksgiving but at least we can see some decorations at MK etc. or we could wait till after food and wine and do more towards Christmas.

But if we do it after the second or third week in November we can't do the at home reception at my moms work (the Hillsboro club) until April because we can only use it April-November for not being actual members and being an employee using the venue lol!! Dang I don't know what to do. Seeing venues August 21-22 in Orlando though so I need to decide the date! Lol

Upvote 0

Sweet Melissa

I know Epcot doesn't have Christmas decorations up until after food and wine..but some of the other parks like magic kingdom and Hollywood studios have Xmas stuff up as of the first week in November if I'm not mistaken.

Correct. It kind of depends on how the dates fall, but the last Halloween party is usually like the first or second of November, and Christmas decorations will start going up in the Magic Kingdom the next day. Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom will begin decorating in the first few days of November too.

It's 2016 not 2015 so it's kind of hard to plan that far in advance when you don't know the exact dates for things at Disney that far in advance. Like we would like to do it right at the end of the food and wine festival when the first Mickey's very merry Xmas party starts in November because Christmas decorations are up at that point in magic kingdom and I think Osborne lights starts around then too but we court still hit food and wine :)...I know the resorts and Epcot doesn't start till around after thanksgiving but at least we can see some decorations at MK etc. or we could wait till after food and wine and do more towards Christmas.

You can look at previous years and glean an idea of when these events will overlap. We went to one of the first Christmas parties, and the Food & Wine Festival was still in full swing. The resorts were decorated before the end of our honeymoon, including the big gingerbread displays. You definitely don't have to wait until after Thanksgiving to get a good dose of Christmas at the resorts. As for Osborne Lights, I don't know for sure if we'll be seeing that at all in 2016.

Upvote 0
Correct. It kind of depends on how the dates fall, but the last Halloween party is usually like the first or second of November, and Christmas decorations will start going up in the Magic Kingdom the next day. Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom will begin decorating in the first few days of November too.

You can look at previous years and glean an idea of when these events will overlap. We went to one of the first Christmas parties, and the Food & Wine Festival was still in full swing. The resorts were decorated before the end of our honeymoon, including the big gingerbread displays. You definitely don't have to wait until after Thanksgiving to get a good dose of Christmas at the resorts. As for Osborne Lights, I don't know for sure if we'll be seeing that at all in 2016.
Oh my gosh I would be crushed if they stopped the Osbourne lights!! Now I'm definitely going up this year to see them!

Thanks for all the info and I'm so happy to know the resorts start decorating earlier than I thought woo-hoo! That's exactly when I'm wanting to do it I think- during the food and wine fest /overlapped with the beginnings of Christmas!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom