Crowd Movements/Designated Standing Areas At MK For HEA

Raineman

Original Poster
Plaza HEA.jpg

Just want to bring something up that definitely falls in the bad guest behavior and to me, and alot of the people around me, was very annoying. My DD, DW and I were at MK a couple of weeks ago, and had found our spot to watch HEA. We were standing by the one corner of the Plaza restaurant, the corner that is is closest to the entrance to Tomorrowland Terrace and the backstage walkway behind MS. As alot of you know, they tape off areas on the ground before parades/fireworks to designate the areas for people to pass through if they are not standing and watching. In this particular area, the tape extended out to the corner, so the area we were in was like a triangle, with the corner of the Plaza behind us. Just before HEA started, numerous times, we had groups of people forcing their way through our standing area to save themselves a few seconds of walking that they would have had to do by staying in the designated walking lanes. This was happening enough, and irritating most of us enough, to the point that people would try to get through, and we simply wouldn't move for them, which caused most of them to shove their way through, almost knocking over children in the process, including my DD. Does this kind of thing happen on a regular basis at WDW? Have some park guests completely lost all common sense? Sorry for the rant, but this annoyed me more than anything that week.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

Unfortunately it happens a lot. As the parks have gotten more crowded and numbers of guests have increased people have become more pushy and less courteous in general and it doesnt matter if youre at Disney or someplace else. Ive had similar occurrences happen at events at home as well. They have blinders on and if they want to get from one place to another they dont care that they are pushing, bumping, or shoving others out of their way. Their objective is to move through and you are the obstacle. It makes it more difficult when you are in a narrow, closed off area as you were. I also refuse to allow bad manners and hold my ground and speak up. If they give me guff, i'll call a cM over and have them handle the guest. Sometimes they use their authority to control the situation and sometimes they dont.

Raineman

Original Poster
Unfortunately it happens a lot. As the parks have gotten more crowded and numbers of guests have increased people have become more pushy and less courteous in general and it doesnt matter if youre at Disney or someplace else. Ive had similar occurrences happen at events at home as well. They have blinders on and if they want to get from one place to another they dont care that they are pushing, bumping, or shoving others out of their way. Their objective is to move through and you are the obstacle. It makes it more difficult when you are in a narrow, closed off area as you were. I also refuse to allow bad manners and hold my ground and speak up. If they give me guff, i'll call a cM over and have them handle the guest. Sometimes they use their authority to control the situation and sometimes they dont.
I'm usually not the type to speak up about this kind of thing to strangers, but I did find myself a few times that night telling people that "the walkway is over there, this is not a walkway". There were a few people standing near me who were a bit more blunt, but, no matter what we said or did, they just had to bull their way through. I can't understand the rationale that makes pushing and shoving your way through a crowd a better option than using a walkway where everyone is moving in the same direction you are. Probably the most irritated I've ever been at WDW, and that's the last thing I want to feel when I am at WDW.

NelleBelle

Unfortunately, we've found that the "pushing & shoving" seems to get worse every time we visit. It doesn't seem to matter if it's people walking that shove, strollers running you over, or those blasted ECV drivers that don't seem to notice feet o_O I think that as the parks tend to get more crowded, people's patience tends to become a heck of a lot shorter (which I'll admit, tends to make mine pretty frayed at times). What I really hate is when my 2 young sons (11 and 13) will give up their seats on the bus for those that need them only to have them taken by young men who just moments before appeared just fine and take the seats over an older female (sorry, will get off my old fashioned soap box now)! :cautious:

Mystic

The projection shows are a terrible idea to start with. Who thought it was a good idea to shove everyone into the hub area?

This is why I'm not even going to bother seeing the new fireworks show on my upcoming trip. I'm not going to be forced to stand in a certain area just to see the castle projections. This does not help with the crowd control in the slightest. I wish they had created the new fireworks show like they have it in California. They use other attractions throughout Disneyland to project on, not just Sleeping Beauty Castle so that you can be in other locations/lands throughout the park and still enjoy the show. We love watching the fireworks by Small World, that's one of the projection sites. Sure it's not quite the same as on the castle but it works just as well and it keeps the people more spread out throughout the park. They also use Tom Sawyer Island to project on.

BigRedDad

I guess that is the advantage of being a bit bigger. I do not get pushed easily and you don't want to push my daughter.

Sonconato

The projection shows are a terrible idea to start with. Who thought it was a good idea to shove everyone into the hub area?
I agree one hundred percent. I had a bad experience myself over there, but there really weren't any cast members around so I had to go search around and find them. Unfortunately, it seems that the projection shows are not going anywhere. If they are going to keep having them, though, they need to add cast members to these kinds of areas for crowd control.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom