Critics say Disney wields too much influence in the Florida Chamber of Commerce

comics101

TWDC is out to squeeze every last cent out of their clients. Whether that's artifically raising prices to force people to use the DDP, homogonizing merchandise to maximize $s per square feet of retail space. Holding off major refurbishments in spite of bad show quality.

You mean Disney does all of that horrible, awful stuff, and yet 99% of visitors are still just as happy as can be paying all of that money to experience the magic? Woah.
The bottom line is that the average guest does not believe they're being ripped off, and they don't believe Disney's doing anything wrong, because Disney's not doing anything wrong. They're making guests happy AND maximizing profit at the same time (mostly because the only way to maximize profit is to keep guests happy), thus making shareholders happy. So in the end, everyone (except for the folks on this board) is happy.
And btw, who are you to say what I as a guest should expect from Disney? As long as I, as a guest, am happy to pay my hard earned money to experience what you may claim is sub-par show, or greed, or whatever, then what difference does it make to you? If you think there's a better vacation resort out there, by all means, give them your business. But I'm going to stick with Disney, because even when Disney is at their worst, I still love it! And Disney makes me happy, so Disney gets my money, and that make shareholders happy (do you understand now?)

As for the "living wage", is there any company out there giving college aged kids, working an entry level job enough money to live on? It's really not fair to pick on Disney for that one at all.

comics101

There's a strong movement in this country (one I find to be absurd and ignorant in wake of the worldwide financial disaster we began in 2008 -- earlier actually, but that's when the pooh hit the fan!) to defend Wall Street and big business at all costs. Even by little guys who aren't close to being worth a million, yet defend billionares and billion dollar companies. I think they confuse democracy with capitalism, which are two different things, but I am not looking to get an intelligent thread closed.

GAH I wanna respond to this so bad! This post is driving me nuts! '74, you sure know how to stir a persons emotions :lol:

njDizFan

You mean Disney does all of that horrible, awful stuff, and yet 99% of visitors are still just as happy as can be paying all of that money to experience the magic? Woah.
The bottom line is that the average guest does not believe they're being ripped off, and they don't believe Disney's doing anything wrong, because Disney's not doing anything wrong. They're making guests happy AND maximizing profit at the same time (mostly because the only way to maximize profit is to keep guests happy), thus making shareholders happy. So in the end, everyone (except for the folks on this board) is happy.
And btw, who are you to say what I as a guest should expect from Disney? As long as I, as a guest, am happy to pay my hard earned money to experience what you may claim is sub-par show, or greed, or whatever, then what difference does it make to you? If you think there's a better vacation resort out there, by all means, give them your business. But I'm going to stick with Disney, because even when Disney is at their worst, I still love it! And Disney makes me happy, so Disney gets my money, and that make shareholders happy (do you understand now?)

As for the "living wage", is there any company out there giving college aged kids, working an entry level job enough money to live on? It's really not fair to pick on Disney for that one at all.
I didn't state anywhere that I believe people are getting ripped off. I go to WDW as often as I can and I do enjoy myself quite a bit. I agree that as a responsible consumer, if you don't believe you are getting your money's worth you should bring your vacation dollars elsewhere.

But the flaw in your logic lies in your belief that TWDC goes out of their way to enhance the guest experience soley to further their revenue. Like almost all megacorporations if the decision to upgrade/enhance/maintain does not ultimately result in capitol gains on the bottom line, management will take a pass.

I'm not stating disney is more evil than any other corporation out there, or do I believe I am being cynical, it is just the reality of 21st century business. Wall street wants to see the returns every quarter...period.

And on the other comment, if you are happy with the way things are at WDW, more power to you. Like I said before I see the value of a Disney vacation but that doesn't mean I don't expect them to be better. The current formula has been minimize service and maximize profit. During your most recent trip to the World, wasn't there anything you thought was slighly amiss? Or did you enjoy paying $10 for a turkey leg and buying a Tom Mater shirt in the EE store after viewing a subpar Yeti?

To be fair "living wage" issues are not a product of TWDC, it is a much larger social issue that is probobaly not appropriate to this forum.

3IAlienKid

It reminds me of that time a couple years ago in Anaheim when some development company wanted to put low income housing next to the old strawberry farm that Disney had bought out (it's the field on which they eventually built a new guest parking lot), and Disney fought it like crazy at the city council. That one was a pretty big deal out here, there were constant updates on it, sometimes almost daily.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom