Credit card charges vs Dining credit charges

oommggitskait

Original Poster
I believe I read something on here before about this happening to someone, so I wanted to see what other peoples experiences has been.
For my upcoming trip, we have a free dining package but because of signature dining meals and adding a breakfast here and there, we have a few more sit down dinners than we do actual credits. We have already decided which meals we will be paying for out of pocket (obviously the cheaper ones!) and which meals we will use our credits for.

We plan on adding a credit card to our “key to the world” cards to cut down on things we are carrying in the park. I’ve heard stories (rumors?) of people who have asked wait staff at restaurants to charge their credit card (via key to the world card) and the restaurant uses their meal credits instead/by accident (or vice versa really). I’ve also heard that once this is done, it cannot be undone.

This would obviously be a huge pain if it happened, for example if we wound up ‘wasting’ meal credits on a $40 dollar breakfast at Kona as opposed to a $70 dollar dinner at Boma.

Is there any truth to this? Has it happened to people? I’m sure it CAN happen (obviously) but is this a frequent problem?
Any suggestions on how to decrease the likelihood of this happening?

NYwdwfan

I've been in similar situations from using 2 credits for signature dining and needing to pay for some sit downs out of pocket. We always let our server know when we sit down that we are paying out of pocket and use the charge function of the key to the world card. It's never been an issue.

WDWmazprty

I've never had this happen. We always let our server know when we sit down that we are paying out of pocket and use the charge function of the key to the world card. It's never been an issue.

Ditto. Mistakes are going to happen from time to time, but the CM should really know how to charge the card correctly as they deal with it everyday. Also from past experience, our waiters/waitresses have always asked us before we even order if we're on the DDP, and they usually write it down with our order; then when its time to pay they ask us again just to make sure. Just make sure you emphasize to the waiter/waitress which you want charged.

SteveUK

You could eliminate the risk by just carrying a credit card. You seem so keen to avoid such a mistake, surely if this happened, it would outweigh the 'inconvenience' of carrying one extra card?

oommggitskait

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking as long as I am specific I should be okay. Never had the dining plan before, so just being a nervous nelly as usual.

You could eliminate the risk by just carrying a credit card. You seem so keen to avoid such a mistake, surely if this happened, it would outweigh the 'inconvenience' of carrying one extra card?

I've considered this. And it is still an option for us. Just trying to get some feedback on the likelihood of a mischarge.

SteveUK

However unlikely, it is a risk. You just need to decide how big a problem it would be and if it justifies using a different payment method. Hope you get it worked out.

disneygirl1

I have been if this situation! All I can I say is be sure to check your reciept everytime you use the dining plan to make sure they are taking the credits off the actual meal plan.

CaptainShortty

This does happen sometimes (I know because I've had to "fix" some of the problems at the front desk). It normally happens when the guest forgets to tell the CM that they want to pay out of pocket for their meal instead of the plan. To make sure that this doesn't happen, first make sure you let your server know that you are on the dining plan but you'd like to use your charging privileges for this meal. When you get the bill, double check what it says. If you're using your dining plan you will get a receipt that has everything zeroed out and your remaining dining credits at the bottom. When you use your charging privileges it will look just like if you used a regular credit card. If there is a problem there, ask the CM to fix it. If they say they can't and it needs to be done by the front desk, ask the manager to put it in writing that you were incorrectly charged for the dining points. It's not required but it will save you the hassles when you get to the front desk. Bring with you the note and all the receipts from the restaurant to the front desk.

Hope that helps make it so you don't have any problems!

oommggitskait

Original Poster
This does happen sometimes (I know because I've had to "fix" some of the problems at the front desk). It normally happens when the guest forgets to tell the CM that they want to pay out of pocket for their meal instead of the plan. To make sure that this doesn't happen, first make sure you let your server know that you are on the dining plan but you'd like to use your charging privileges for this meal. When you get the bill, double check what it says. If you're using your dining plan you will get a receipt that has everything zeroed out and your remaining dining credits at the bottom. When you use your charging privileges it will look just like if you used a regular credit card. If there is a problem there, ask the CM to fix it. If they say they can't and it needs to be done by the front desk, ask the manager to put it in writing that you were incorrectly charged for the dining points. It's not required but it will save you the hassles when you get to the front desk. Bring with you the note and all the receipts from the restaurant to the front desk.

Hope that helps make it so you don't have any problems!

Very helpful!!

Thanks to you and everyone. I feel like we have all the info we need to make a decision on how we want to go about it. There are pros and cons to using room key like a charge. Just have to have a chat with my other half and we'll figure it out.
Thanks again!

me_stitch

Premium Member
if your going to pay out of pocket why even tell them your on the dining plan? wouldn't it be easier to just tell them to charge your room and then make sure that's what they did when u get the receipt? if you mention the ddp but tell them you want to charge it to your room it seems they would be more likely to screw up.

CaptainShortty

if your going to pay out of pocket why even tell them your on the dining plan? wouldn't it be easier to just tell them to charge your room and then make sure that's what they did when u get the receipt? if you mention the ddp but tell them you want to charge it to your room it seems they would be more likely to screw up.

I'm pretty sure they know when they scan your KTTW card to take payment. Not 100& sure of that but I think so. Also, they usually ask at the beginning of your meal anyway. Better to let them know what you want instead of leaving it up to chance. Trust me.

I'm pretty sure they know when they scan your KTTW card to take payment. Not 100& sure of that but I think so. Also, they usually ask at the beginning of your meal anyway. Better to let them know what you want instead of leaving it up to chance. Trust me.

Yes to both...usually your kttw card identifies if you have a dining plan. On occasion (such as our most recent trip when we split our stay between three different DVC properties) it might not say dining plan. We had dining on just a few days as is also possible when staying on points. Our card did not look like a KTTW with dining. We had to tell our server...really no hassle there. Also, they typically do ask if you will be using a dining plan...some will ask to see the card before you order so that you are clear on what is included.

Our solution (as we have done this in the past too), is to either carry the credit card OR I often pre buy gift cards for our Disney spending. While a mistake in the charging may or may not happen, I have had to stand in several lines (customer service and front desk services) to have dining plan mistakes repaired. Its not an inconvenience I enjoy...and the credit card weighs nothing!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom