Credit Card charges using Genie+ with Friends

JohnD

Original Poster
I'm sure this has been asked 1,000 times but can Genie+ be charged to different accounts on file? I'm going with friends in March who purchased tickets. They have their account and I have mine. We're linked as "Families and Friends" and I'm the one, being an AP holder and experienced visitor, primarily doing the planning in MDE. I just want to make sure that when G+ is purchased, and all guests are checked that I'm charged for myself to my credit card and the wife who is handling for her family is charged for the three of them to their credit card.

If not, does it all go on my card and we have to sift through all the charges for them to figure out how much to reimburse me? Hopefully not.

NelleBelle

I’m pretty sure that if your wife has her credit card attached to her MDE acct and she selects her family/friends it will go to her card. My mom uses her own card (making sure to add it with the hotel at checki in) and when we eat somewhere (eg QS) it charges her acct.

JohnD

Original Poster
I’m pretty sure that if your wife has her credit card attached to her MDE acct and she selects her family/friends it will go to her card. My mom uses her own card (making sure to add it with the hotel at checki in) and when we eat somewhere (eg QS) it charges her acct.
That's not what I'm asking. I'm going with another family. I have my credit card. They have theirs. When G+ is purchased, and all guests are chosen, are both my card and the family's card charged? I don't want to find out I'm paying for their G+ just because our accounts are linked as friends.

JohnD

Original Poster
Whoever makes the Genie+ purchase will be the one charged.
Well that sucks because the charge is per guest. If we try G+ separately, we'll probably end up with different times, etc. I guess one person will have to do G+ and we'll just have to print out credit card receipts after-the-fact and divvy up charges. I think I'll have the family pay for G+ and ILL (or I do it on their behalf on their phone). That way, they pay the majority of the charges for the three of them and just have me reimburse for 1/4.

Last edited:

Marionnette

Well that sucks. Because if we try G+ separately, we'll probably end up with different times, etc. I guess one person will have to do G+ and we'll just have to print out credit card receipts after-the-fact and divvy up charges. I think I'll have the family pay for G+ and ILL (or I do it on their behalf on their phone). That way, they pay the majority of the charges for the three of them and just have me reimburse for 1/4.
Everyone can purchase their G+ separately. Then one person can book Lightning Lanes for the whole group as long as they are part of your Friends and Family. Family A does not have to book separately from Family B. Whoever does the G+ reservations can do them for everyone in both families.

ILLs are a different story. If you want to guarantee that all of you have the same return time, they need to be purchased at one time by the same person.

JohnD

Original Poster
Everyone can purchase their G+ separately. Then one person can book Lightning Lanes for the whole group as long as they are part of your Friends and Family. Family A does not have to book separately from Family B. Whoever does the G+ reservations can do them for everyone in both families.

ILLs are a different story. If you want to guarantee that all of you have the same return time, they need to be purchased at one time by the same person.
Thanks. This allays most of my concerns. So, I and the other family will purchase our separate G+. Then I can schedule us together. As for ILL, I'll stick with my original plan and have them purchase. Easier for me to reimburse 1/4 than have them reimburse 3/4. Fewer charges on my card for three people and only one additional charge on theirs.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Well that sucks because the charge is per guest. If we try G+ separately, we'll probably end up with different times, etc. I guess one person will have to do G+ and we'll just have to print out credit card receipts after-the-fact and divvy up charges. I think I'll have the family pay for G+ and ILL (or I do it on their behalf on their phone). That way, they pay the majority of the charges for the three of them and just have me reimburse for 1/4.

Would you trust the Disney software people to even attempt a "split the charge" feature ? I for one would not.

aladdin2007

here's a question if anyone can help....have used and purchased genie several times before....went into the app to do it today just like in the past but now it wont let me. I get a message saying "You must be in the US or Canada to purchase and enable this app feature, current location not supported". That makes no sense, since Im based here in Florida. No phone info has changed, no account info has changed, no mydisneyexperiance info has changed.....and I dont know how to fix it. I uninstalled the app, and reinstalled it but same thing.

nickys

Premium Member
here's a question if anyone can help....have used and purchased genie several times before....went into the app to do it today just like in the past but now it wont let me. I get a message saying "You must be in the US or Canada to purchase and enable this app feature, current location not supported". That makes no sense, since Im based here in Florida. No phone info has changed, no account info has changed, no mydisneyexperiance info has changed.....and I dont know how to fix it. I uninstalled the app, and reinstalled it but same thing.

You say you’d just tried. The timestamp on your post suggests it was around 9:30pm. You can’t buy it after the parks close, so maybe that was the issue?

The error message could be because the system “assumed” you were buying it after midnight in a different time zone - like the UK when it was after midnight.

Last edited:

Marionnette

Do you have location services on your phone turned on and is it enabled for the app? I had this same issue and it was resolved when I authorized location to be enabled when the app is in use.

aladdin2007

You say you’d just tried. The timestamp on your post suggests it was around 9:30pm. You can’t buy it after the parks close, so maybe that was the issue?

The error message could be because the system “assumed” you were buying it after midnight in a different time zone - like the UK when it was after midnight.
no I tried all throughout the day, for several days off and on

Last edited:

aladdin2007

Do you have location services on your phone turned on and is it enabled for the app? I had this same issue and it was resolved when I authorized location to be enabled when the app is in use.
I have that off and always have, but now wondering if Disney requires it and they didn't before? It was never a problem till January.

Marionnette

I have that off and always have, but now wondering if Disney requires it and they didn't before? It was never a problem till January.
Same here. And like you, I never had an issue before but last month, I wanted to check Genie prices (I live in PA but my IP address comes up as VA) and got the same error you got. Then it occurred to me that maybe I didn't have location services enabled for the app. Once I made the change, there was no problem.

JohnD

Original Poster
I did some playing around with the app this morning. I thought you could purchase ILL without purchasing G+. Nope. You have to purchase G+ first before you can purchase for the additional ILL.

nickys

Premium Member
I did some playing around with the app this morning. I thought you could purchase ILL without purchasing G+. Nope. You have to purchase G+ first before you can purchase for the additional ILL.
That is absolutely not the case.

What ILL were you trying to purchase and at what time?
Are you staying onsite?

Kamikaze

Your credit card is assigned to your account, not to your ticket. So whoever needs to be charged needs to be the one making the purchases for those they want to be charged for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom