Creations Shop opening this summer

UNCgolf

For the same reason they put "Gifts from Future World" under the Centorium sign and "Gifts with Character" under the Mouse Gear sign.

I think the more concise "Shop" actually gives the guest more credit that either of those past options and feels more contemporary in its brevity. What I fear is that guests will find it too cryptic and it will go back to the earlier variations on "Gift Shop."

It was dumb on those signs too, although it fit the old Centorium sign better. It looks especially bad on this sign because, as I said, it looks like a last minute add-on.

You don't need to specifically call something a shop for people to understand you can buy things there. World of Disney doesn't say World of Disney Store on it.

Sir_Cliff

It was dumb on those signs too, although it fit the old Centorium sign better. It looks especially bad on this sign because, as I said, it looks like a last minute add-on.

You don't need to specifically call something a shop for people to understand you can buy things there. World of Disney doesn't say World of Disney Store on it.
I do understand what you're saying, though I don't find the Shop seems as much of a last minute add-on as you do. That is subjective, though.

I guess the context also makes a difference here. Disney Springs is a mall, so World of Disney is almost certainly going to be a shop. Epcot is a theme park, so Creations or Centorium could be almost anything. The question may be whether they should give it a name that is more obviously that of a souvenir shop or if it's better to be a little more creative and stick a "shop" or "Gifts..." under the name to signal to guests what it is.

UNCgolf

I do understand what you're saying, though I guess the context might make it less clear here. Disney Springs is a mall, so World of Disney is almost certainly going to be a shop. Epcot is a theme park, so Creations or Centorium could be almost anything.

I guess the question is whether they should give it a name that is more obviously a souvenir shop or if it's better to be a little more creative and stick a "shop" or "Gifts..." under the name to signal to guests what it is.

They haven't always added shop, store, gifts, etc. to in-park shopping, though. There are several just in the Magic Kingdom that don't do that and some in the World Showcase too. I admit they're definitely in the minority, although a bunch of the shops in the other theme parks are in-theme as stores so it it's not really an either/or proposition. The Future World main gift shop is obviously different so I am sympathetic to your argument.

I also just don't like making the "shop" smaller and so far off center.

donsullivan

Premium Member
LOL at the sign.

Creations looks fine (good, even), but why the insistence on "shop"? It even looks tacked on to the sign as an afterthought.
It sounds like something targeting international visitors for whom just using ‘Creations’ might not make it clear what the space is. Remember, in normal times, a substantial portion of WDW guests are not from the US, nor is English their native language.

roj2323

Sigh... I'm sorry, but to say some "edgy" looking Mickeys are continuing the legacy of EPCOT's catalog of attraction murals is just...no.

Some palate cleansers below. Do Zach and his team really believe Mickey in Motion is even in the same league as these (and not just execution, but meaning and symbolism, too)?

View attachment 584296

[Edits made to the first section for better word choice.]
Anyone know where I can get a High resolution version of this mural? Vector if possible, I'd like to print it 6ft wide

Amused to Death

Anyone know where I can get a High resolution version of this mural? Vector if possible, I'd like to print it 6ft wide

A vector of a highly detailed acrylic painting? Good luck with that. The largest image I've found online is 6,440 x 2096 pixels. Unfortunately, it suffers from visible screen lines from the printed material it was scanned from. Screen aside, you could take that image and scale it up 2x by using an app like Topaz Gigapixel AI. The resulting 12,880 x 4,192 image, printed 6 feet wide, would be approximately 179 pixels per inch, which is plenty for canvas. Finished, the painting should look great from a reasonable distance, and up close, one can hope that a good portion of the screen lines from the original printed material get lost within the texture of the canvas.

Figments Friend

Here is a look at the new Creations Shop signage from the monorail

Creations-Shop_Full_43943.jpg

I see Ladder lying down on the job again.....
Such a slacker.

😄

-

VJ

October is not "summer" no matter how you try and spin it...
I don't even think most of the world thinks of September as summer...
even though technically September 22nd is the last day of Summer.
early august isn't halloween either but disney obviously knows how to stretch the truth

VJ

Marty would praise him. My impression of him is that he was a company man, at least in public.
yep, that's why he lasted at the company so long

compare to tony baxter who "retired" (unless he could be trotted out and displayed in a D23 video like a museum piece)

James Alucobond

I rather like the Mouse as Muse sculpture we're seeing here, though I hope at least several more in the series are EPCOT-centric since it sounds like the subject matter was mostly up to the discretion of the artist. Would love to see one covered in Spaceship Earth iconography.

FerretAfros

While I certainly appreciate the intent behind the homage to John Hench's E.P.C.O.T. painting, I can't help but think that: 1) these statues are yet another place they're jamming characters in simply to make it more "Disney" rather than using setting-appropriate design, and 2) the whole concept of a series of matching artist-painted statues just seems kind of dated in 2021.

The concept burst on to the scene in 1999 with the Cows on Parade in Chicago, and has been copied by countless other cities around the world in the time since. They started in big trendy places, and quickly expanded to mid-level markets, to the point that nearly every city had their own spin on the idea. It seemed to hit it's peak in the mid-00s (as @Cmdr_Crimson pointed out, even Disney commissioned a set for Mickey's 75th in 2003 that toured the country for several years), but the statues have lingered around in public spaces ever since.

Pigs in Cincinnati, pandas in DC, manatees in Jacksonville, bead dogs in New Orleans, horses in Rochester, crabs in Baltimore. Big cities, small tourist destinations, self-important suburbs: they've all done it at this point. It's just been done so many times by now that the whole thing feels a little passé.

Coincidentally, the original Chicago cows included a faux-jewel-encrusted cow with a not-so-hidden-Mickey wearing a virtual reality headset near the short-lived DisneyQuest:
cows-on-parade1.jpg

It's not that there's anything about the artistry the one we've seen that feels inappropriate for Epcot. But in 2021, it just doesn't feel like something that really evokes a sense of cutting-edge futurism.

Then again, for a space whose design seems to be based on a suburban Apple Store circa 2008, maybe it's just right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom