Creations Shop opening this summer

ImperfectPixie

I would agree and I bout many dress shirts, expensive polos and ties there over the years...Now it is just the same old crap....
So while they are selling $20 T shirts, I and many others were buying $75 shirts and $50 ties... It was nice to know there were a few shops back then that handled higher end merchandise.
The recent years have really had affected my spending habits in the parks.
Ours too. We always sought out unique stuff.

Texas84

I've said for a long time that they should have 'subtle' merchandise, namely, polos with small park or attraction logos. There should be the ability to order them in four or five colours as well. I have a Port Orleans Riverside one, but like you, would love an EPCOT one.

Not everything they do has to be in your face, things you can maybe wear in the parks, but certainly too garish to be worn in most other settings. It's the hoodies or sweaters they do which look fine from the front but then a massive design on the back.

Actually, whilst I hope this ends up like some other merch on the UK website, the Mickey face is a bit off-putting. Having the hold castle by itself and text on sleeve would have kept a smarter, classier look imo

Sweater / 1/4zip / polo with a subtle logo would be just perfect. There's nothing to stop them doing that with mugs, stationery, leather wallets / purses etc either.
I have this shirt. The logo needs to be smaller.

ToTBellHop

Just incase anyone is curious...Magical Soundtracks released the Creations music loop..

1640273991884.jpeg

I’m joking, of course. They gave a gift shop its own music loop. Worse things have happened. It’s the type of music I could zone out to while folding laundry.

Sir_Cliff

You never heard the Mousegears loop then I take it..It was the same thing but mostly Disney songs..

I understand that criticising the new store doesn't necessarily mean thinking MouseGear was any better, but, lord, I don't see how anyone wouldn't at least see Creations as an improvement.

I also sometimes get the impression that people don't realise Disney uses a lot of music from other sources all over the parks. They don't normally get a composer and orchestra together to create a new suite for every store or even land within the parks; it's mostly licensed music.

Last edited:

Mickeynerd17

I also sometimes get the impression that people don't realise Disney uses a lot of music from other sources all over the parks. They don't normally get a composer and orchestra together to create a new suite for every store or even land within the parks; it's mostly licensed music.
This.

The original EPCOT had a ton of custom-written music, but there is also plenty of music fans love that was licensed. For example, the Wonders of Life music (the large majority of it) was from Ray Lynch, the classic Innoventions loop was a mixture of custom content and David Arkenstone tracks (and probably others I'm forgetting right now), and even Communicore used a few tracks from Network Music Ensemble (like Olympiad and Cloudburst). There's most likely more I'm not remembering right now, but you can't argue that all of those were not memorable.

Licensed music is nothing new to EPCOT. There has been a perfect balance over the last 39 years between licensed and original music, and I think a lot of people on this forum are worried the balance is being lost. Now, the kind of music being played may not match the park in my humble opinion (I'm more of a dramatic, electric-sci-fi 80's sound guy), but I don't have a major problem with the music being used right now.

My opinions constantly fluctuate though, and I'll be in EPCOT in two weeks to see this Creations Shop myself, so I'll make my ultimate opinion then.

Casper Gutman

I understand that criticising the new store doesn't necessarily mean thinking MouseGear was any better, but, lord, I don't see how anyone wouldn't at least see Creations as an improvement.

I think Creations and MouseGear are about equal, although MG had a few more spots of visual interest. The problem is that Creations was a fairly high-profile rebuild that has the exact same fundamental problem as its predecessor - EPCOT has no identity, and it is unclear how a central store might fit into any identity it did come up with, so the result is a completely souless, generic white space that might as well have been an unthemed warehouse. You can't theme something if you have no idea what the theme is meant to be. Any complaints about the music spring from the same source - the problem isn't that the music already existed, its that as a result of EPCOTs complete rudderlessness ANY music in the area was doomed to be meaningless and empty.

Sir_Cliff

I think Creations and MouseGear are about equal, although MG had a few more spots of visual interest. The problem is that Creations was a fairly high-profile rebuild that has the exact same fundamental problem as its predecessor - EPCOT has no identity, and it is unclear how a central store might fit into any identity it did come up with, so the result is a completely souless, generic white space that might as well have been an unthemed warehouse. You can't theme something if you have no idea what the theme is meant to be. Any complaints about the music spring from the same source - the problem isn't that the music already existed, its that as a result of EPCOTs complete rudderlessness ANY music in the area was doomed to be meaningless and empty.
I understand that Epcot has been going through a prolonged identity crisis, however this shop honestly seems like one of the few things that is more or less in keeping with how Future World was designed originally. Centorium had a great name and sign, but it looked more or less like a contemporary department store. Personally, I think MouseGear is the worst iteration as it was basically a big version of a mall Disney Store from the 1990s. Whereas, for example, a Disney Store in Boston at the time might have character displays referencing the Boston Tea Party, MouseGear had character displays referencing technology because... Epcot? Creations, if anything, is a return to the Centorium approach of giving the store a contemporary aesthetic, just updated for 2021.

The other thing that stands out to me is that I haven't seen anyone outline a credible alternative for what an appropriately-themed store would look like. Either people seem to think it should be directly themed to vintage Epcot attractions or vague notions of a combination of all the pavilions and the spirit of Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom