Craziest you've acted to avoid lines?

FourFourSeven

Original Poster
Two years ago, I went to WDW with my wife, my then 2 1/2-year-old daughter, brother and sister-in-law, and their 2-year-old daughter, and three grandparents. My brother and I took it as a challenge to visit many of the top attractions, both for kids and adults, while never having to wait in line. The other adults put their trust in us, told us the attractions they were most interested in seeing, and we formulated a plan. One morning at MK is a good example of our craziness. Here's what we did (editing out time for potty breaks, snacks, random "playing").

1) Waited (the whole group) for the rope drop in the castle. When the rope dropped, my brother and I, carrying our kids, sprinted to Dumbo, rode the first ride without waiting.

2) Our wives got in line about 25 people behind us. When we completed the ride, we handed off the kids to them, and the kids rode again without waiting.

3) During the second Dumbo ride, I ran to Pooh, saw the Fastpass time opened up 5 minutes later. Got Fastpasses for the family.

4) The kids rode the Merry Go Round. We noticed the Pooh Fastpass time had opened up, so my brother ran to Splash Mountain and back, getting Fastpasses for the family there (which opened up in 15 minutes).

5) Went on Pooh with Fastpasses, no wait (the regular line was up to 10-15 minutes).

5a) Met Donald Duck

6) Went to Splash Mountain, rode it with no wait (rather than switching off, one adult stayed with the kids who played in a playground area near there).

7) Kids took the train to Mickey's land. I ran across the park, got Fastpasses for Space mountain for the adults, and met the kids at Donald's Boat.

8) Kids rode Goofy's coaster (got lucky, no wait yet), played for a while in Mickey's land.

9) Went to Space Moutain, adults rode with no wait.

10) Went on Tommorrowland Transit Authority, no wait.

11) Went to Main Street (laughed at all the people still arriving), took train to back of park.

12) Got Fastpasses for Haunted Mansion (the wait was short, but why not make it shorter?)

13) Arrived at Country Bear Jamboree just before show began. Did show with no wait.

14) Did Pirates of the Carribean (no wait)

15) One of us ran to get Peter Pan Fastpasses while the rest did Haunted Mansion (no wait)

16) It's a Small World (as always, no wait)

17) Peter Pan (no wait with Fastpasses)

18) Went back to hotel for naps with very happy kids who didn't wait for anything. Laughed at 1 hour lines for Dumbo, 30 minute waits for other rides. Laughed at people (still) just arriving now at the parks

Okay, so my brother and I got a good workout from running between all the Fastpass machines. But it was worth it! (And it makes a great "We conquered the Magic Kingdom" story.)

Anybody else have similar crazy "beat the lines" stories?

Main Street USA

Geez, we usually take a more casual approach to utilizing the fastpass system.:lol:

We head for a certain area and get a fastpass for one then wait for the other. This way it's always two rides in a row, the second without waiting.

For example, Adventureland, we grabbed a fastpass for Jungle cruise, then rode Pirates, then walked on Jungle Cruise. Then over to Frontierland, fastpass for Splash, wait for Big Thunder, walk on Splash. Works great as a timesaver by simply getting a fastpass for the ride with the longer wait.

Figment1986

dang, that was crazy. I rarely use FP. mostly due to my location to tha parks, so i let the people use them instead of i. (i like watin inline like 1 hr for a 1 min ride, lol)

orangefan15

That's crazy...I prefer a more relaxing approach to my vacation (one that doesn't include running, I exercise enough every day at home).

CAPTAIN HOOK

I don't do that much running around at work.............so I'm darned if I would try anything like that while on holiday :hammer:

Grumpy56

The image of 2 grown men sprinting through Fantasyland to bring that extra magic to their family is priceless! My mickey ears are off to you! I have been known to jog a bitin the Magic Kingdom, but never the whole day.

Nansafan

My hat (or should I say ears) are off to you sir. We've never seen the rope drop at the MK and we are WDW at least twice a year in 1993. Traveling with teenagers, getting everyone out of bed and dressed and fed is a chore. We are the people just entering the park as you are leaving for lunch. But then we ride everything during parades or just before closing with little or no lines.

SpongeScott

Well, to each his own! Sounded like fun and that you had a great plan, but I don't think I would try and tackle something like that! I can just hear your kids the next day, "Do it again, Daddy!" And I have to admit, I've never heard of anyone going to that extreme. Good job--for you.

DisneyPhD

While we avoid all long lines like a plage, I personally have never worked that hard to do so. However standing in line, listening to kids and others whine and not having a good time is also work!:)

One major thing about your post is, you have kids, you had enough adults to spilt up well and you knew what you were doing. Getting all you can in before the kids get cranky is important to. There is time for rest during nap. I don't think that pace could be kept up for long.

Our next trip will be our 8th or 9th trip to WDW, but our second with our DD and she will be 23 months old. She has a hard time waiting in the line at the grocey store. We may end up taking more of that approch (not to the same exent!!!!) Thanks for the hints, glad to know it worked for you and all had a good time.

Another important point is the other adults with you cooperated well and were on board with the plan. Adults who can't get along are worse then kids.

dreamer

To avoid lines we go to the pool.

:cool:

We try to get to the park early enough to miss the real big lines. If a line is too long we'll usually buy a Mickey Premium Bar and then go back later.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I got tired just reading that.

I personally wouldn't run to any attractions....then it starts to make the whole experience not fun, because it's about avoiding lines and no longer about the experience.

While I'm glad you utilized the system so well, I really would frown upon people running all over the place in any park.

FourFourSeven

Original Poster
Originally posted by Fievel
I got tired just reading that.

While I'm glad you utilized the system so well, I really would frown upon people running all over the place in any park.
Sorry - to clarify, it was usually a very fast walk, but a walk nonetheless. (oh, except to Dumbo in the morning - that was a sprint :)) I agree that running would be extremely rude, and potentially dangerous. We did see one forty-something woman do a faceplant while she was sprinting to Dumbo in the morning.

I enjoyed the other comments from people. DisneyPhD, your points about cooperation among adults and the like are the keys to a plan like this. My brother and I revealed our plan at dinner the night before, and all the adults thought it would be fun to fully put their faith in us.

Also, it should be noted that this one particular morning was the most extreme we were (by far - most days consisted of getting to the park before opening and judiciously using Fastpasses, but not nearly to this extreme).

Also, it was only possible with extreme planning and the willingness of all adults to go along with it. (It didn't hurt to have two relatively fit fathers who took this as a challenge.) But still, it makes a great story...

Anybody else do anything even close to this? Or am I in a crazy class of my own?

Pioneer Hall

I just think that going crazy like that makes it seem like more work than a vacation. It's vacation you are supposed to relax and take it easy. Most times you will have enough time to see everything.

FourFourSeven

Original Poster
Originally posted by DisneyInsider
I just think that going crazy like that makes it seem like more work than a vacation. It's vacation you are supposed to relax and take it easy. Most times you will have enough time to see everything.

I consider there to be two main types of vacations:

1) Resting vacations (tropical islands, French Riviera, etc.)
2) "Do-ing" vacations (NYC, London, Vegas)

In my opinion, you get the most out of Disney if you treat it as Category 2. Yes, you can "relax" at Disney, but there are other places that you can relax just as well, if not better, for cheaper. And Disney is one of the world's best "do-ing" spots.

Our vacation began with 4 relaxing, restful days on the beach in Southern Florida. Disney came next, and we were ready for the crazyness.

But to each his/her own, so do what you want. You can laugh at me running around like a madman, and I'll chuckle at you standing in long lines.:lol:

Nansafan

Originally posted by Steamboat_Kevin
Sometimes I... :lookaroun
like to stand in line...

Me too Kevin! The proper use of Fast Pass is a must but standing in line can be fun. I find it amazing that a place as big as WDW and you can run into the same people hitting the same park you are in 2 and 3 days in a row. We like to play what we call, "The standing in line game". Someone says, "I've got a place" and the others do a 20 questions thing to guess the place. People watching is also great in line as it meeting new people.

no2apprentice

A Dash for Dumbo? I knew there was a Dash for Splash, and I was in a Race for Space, but I didn't know there was a Dash for Dumbo!

Actually, FourFourSeven, your experience reminds me of our trip last year, except I was was the only adult "walking fast" around the park for my family. Whew! But we got in every ride that we wanted, and the longest we waited in ANY line at MK was 20 minutes, during spring break.

I was exhausted at the end of the day, but my wife (who has had surgery on her foot for planter fasciitis) was very VERY appreciative of my efforts. The kids even noticed, when we walked by 80 minute lines in the FastPass line.

This year's trip my wife insisted we take two days for MK, not one. I gave her no argument! :)

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Personally, I'd rather just wait in a few lines than spend a lot of energy worrying about the best way to avoid them. When I go to Disney world, I want to have fun! I don't want to have to think too much.

I almost would prefer if there wasn't a fast pass. I use it, but it puts me on more of a schedule than I would like.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom