Covid Vaccine Updates and General Discussion About Vaccines

Will you take a Covid vaccine once one is approved and deemed safe and effective by the FDA?

• Yes, stick me please

• No, I will wait

• No, I will never take one

Results are only viewable after voting.

correcaminos

Quick question about how the person giving the shot did it...
I hate shots and usually I just get stabbed with them.
Sometimes though including the guy that gave me the Moderna shot yesterday they pinch and hold a bit of my upper arm and then give the shot while holding the area which to me makes so much more sense because the area is more stable and honestly seems to hurt less.
I'm scared to death of needles. I warn them of this. I did not look at what they did lol though I assume a bit of a pinch based on how it felt. Most of the time I think they do the same. For me neither shot hurt with the needle going in. The second one - given by the exact same staff as the first time did sting with the liquid going in more. Not the needle itself though.

After getting these shots, I had my flu shot 2 weeks later. Person did not understand "don't tell me when it's going in" and definitely did sting more lol

pixie225

Sometimes though including the guy that gave me the Moderna shot yesterday they pinch and hold a bit of my upper arm and then give the shot while holding the area which to me makes so much more sense because the area is more stable and honestly seems to hurt less.
My daughter detests shots. She was so very nervous, chattering up a storm. She did not even realize the nurse gave her the shot until the nurse was putting a bandaid on it. No pinching skin- just cleaned the area Needle seemed "thinner" than the flu shot needle. Daughter had minimal arm soreness today, and mine is 90% gone. No other side effects.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm scared to death of needles. I warn them of this. I did not look at what they did lol though I assume a bit of a pinch based on how it felt. Most of the time I think they do the same. For me neither shot hurt with the needle going in. The second one - given by the exact same staff as the first time did sting with the liquid going in more. Not the needle itself though.

After getting these shots, I had my flu shot 2 weeks later. Person did not understand "don't tell me when it's going in" and definitely did sting more lol

I am in the same boat with needles, and it makes it very difficult to watch the news or scan through news articles because they constantly shows pictures of people with the needle in the arm.

For me, and I am sure others, it's not the needle itself that the problem, it's just anxiety over the process.

correcaminos

I am in the same boat with needles, and it makes it very difficult to watch the news or scan through news articles because they constantly shows pictures of people with the needle in the arm.

For me, and I am sure others, it's not the needle itself that the problem, it's just anxiety over the process.
I have some real childhood trauma with needles thanks to some procedures I had as a kid. So the fear of it going in is hard on me. I can look at needles and use them to pierce my own ears, but shots are sadly triggering. Much like drills at the dentist since my childhood dentist never numbed me the whole way. Being a visual person it all sucks.

Why I signed up for a trial is beyond me 😆

cjack300zx

Second shot stings a little more than the first. I hardly felt the first

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I'm going to look away. I had a traumatic incident with a needle at age 18. I was sick and went to the doctor. They tested me for both strep and mono. I was poked 3 times when they were drawing my blood for mono. I got dizzy when my Mom and I were leaving. I passed out and ended up with 5 or 6 stitches in my chin.

For me shots are quite a bit easier to handle.
I have terrible veins and have to be stuck multiple times for blood draws and IVs and always get dizzy and often faint.
Surprisingly tattoos USUALLY don't bother me although I have this tiny one on my wrist that I immediately passed out for and a giant one on my right shoulder blade that took 3 sessions and 6 hours total and I was fine.
Its so weird how different things involving needles can impact someone so differently.

BTW they move so quickly at these vaccination sites that you'll barely even have time to think about what is about to happen.
I think that it helps that they are not in "scary medical settings" but rather just normal what would be "fun" places to go in normal times.
Mine was actually at the community center where my parents met during a singles night skate.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
For me shots are quite a bit easier to handle.
I have terrible veins and have to be stuck multiple times for blood draws and IVs and always get dizzy and often faint.
Surprisingly tattoos USUALLY don't bother me although I have this tiny one on my wrist that I immediately passed out for and a giant one on my right shoulder blade that took 3 sessions and 6 hours total and I was fine.
Its so weird how different things involving needles can impact someone so differently.

BTW they move so quickly at these vaccination sites that you'll barely even have time to think about what is about to happen.
I think that it helps that they are not in "scary medical settings" but rather just normal what would be "fun" places to go in normal times.
Mine was actually at the community center where my parents met during a singles night skate.

When it comes to finding a vein, this technology is really cool...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
It looks like it’s possible that the JnJ vaccine could be the first to be approved for children under 12. They plan to start trials soon for kids all the way down to infants. The technology behind their vaccine using an altered adenovirus has been used for years and proven safe in newborns and children already. There have also not been issues with allergic reactions and in general the side effects seem to be less severe than Pfizer and Moderna. The fact that it’s a single dose and also doesn’t need cold storage could be a good fit for children as they could get it right at the pediatricians office.

James J

In the Parks
No
I get the feeling that if we end up needing boosters we'll probably all end up getting J&J since its one and done and easy to store.
I almost wonder too if its what kids are going to be more likely to get.
I can't wait to hear how it went for you!
There's already talk here in the UK that there will be a booster campaign later in the year, with everyone getting a third shot that is more effective against the variants. As I'm under 30 (just!) it looks like it'll be June before I get my first shot - could well be on my 30th birthday!

Polkadotdress

I am on an immuno-suppressant for an auto-immune disease, so wasn't sure what to expect. The first Moderna shot made me feel hungover, with a pounding headache, some nausea, and gastro-intestinal issues.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
New Mexico is threatening fines if you lie to get a vaccine earlier.

ToTBellHop

It looks like it’s possible that the JnJ vaccine could be the first to be approved for children under 12. They plan to start trials soon for kids all the way down to infants. The technology behind their vaccine using an altered adenovirus has been used for years and proven safe in newborns and children already. There have also not been issues with allergic reactions and in general the side effects seem to be less severe than Pfizer and Moderna. The fact that it’s a single dose and also doesn’t need cold storage could be a good fit for children as they could get it right at the pediatricians office.

Oh, my God. 1 dose for my kids would be a godsend. They are terrified of shots. I was already trying to figure out how much I’d have to bribe them to get 2. Guess I can cancel my second mortgage application.

ToTBellHop

New Mexico is threatening fines if you lie to get a vaccine earlier.

Seems a bit late. We are likely looking at general availability in a month.

correcaminos

Got my JNJ. Hurt less than a flu shot. No reactions yet. Glad to be 14 days from immunity. Go get the shot guys.
Be sure to report back! I'm totally curious

For above I agree it's too late to fine people. Though if the state is having issues then maybe they need to? Most of it will be all even in the next few weeks or months anyway.

correcaminos

Oh, my God. 1 dose for my kids would be a godsend. They are terrified of shots. I was already trying to figure out how much I’d have to bribe them to get 2. Guess I can cancel my second mortgage application.
Forgot this one too... funny thing is doing the trial made my then 12yo realize it wasn't too bad. Hates shots too but saw I was okay. He did ask if he could get it in his leg though lol
He nearly joined the same trial I am in. The money helped lol but school schedules made it impossible to do at the time. Funny how bribes of sorts makes kids willing to do things (though helping others was up there)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom