Covid Vaccine Updates and General Discussion About Vaccines

Will you take a Covid vaccine once one is approved and deemed safe and effective by the FDA?

• Yes, stick me please

• No, I will wait

• No, I will never take one

Results are only viewable after voting.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
For the 50th?

That is 100% the plan. Fireworks and meet and greets.

The question is how much can they move that up?

I think we may have Independence Day fireworks at WDW.
If everything goes well that seems possible.

One fear I do have is vaccine acceptance. If too many restrictions come off too fast and people start to believe Covid is over they are less likely to bother to get vaccinated. I worry especially for states like FL and TX where life has already returned to normal from a state and government restrictions prospective. I know it was a much less serious situation, but when the H1N1 pandemic hit many people skipped the vaccine because by the time it was available to the general public the flu season was ending and many people never bothered with the vaccine. Covid could be crushed for good in the next few months if we all get the vaccine. If not it could surge again this summer and then I don’t know what happens. Will anyone accept a return of restrictions? Especially with half the population vaccinated?

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
By next week, Is TX and other states will have to wait for another 2-3 months to lift restrictions if Biden orders them to wait for couple more months to lift restrictions.

ToTBellHop

One fear I do have is vaccine acceptance. If too many restrictions come off too fast and people start to believe Covid is over they are less likely to bother to get vaccinated. I worry especially for states like FL and TX where life has already returned to normal from a state and government restrictions prospective. I know it was a much less serious situation, but when the H1N1 pandemic hit many people skipped the vaccine because by the time it was available to the general public the flu season was ending and many people never bothered with the vaccine. Covid could be crushed for good in the next few months if we all get the vaccine. If not it could surge again this summer and then I don’t know what happens. Will anyone accept a return of restrictions? Especially with half the population vaccinated?
The point should become moot. Uptake among those over age 65, who are at the highest risk, has been strong. If younger people without comorbidities do not choose to get vaccinated, we will never end covid but we will end most of the hospitalizations and deaths.

I’ll put it this way—I would not be interested in accepting restrictions to protect those who are choosing, foolishly, not to vaccinate. It is our responsibility to protect others until they can make that choice. Afterward, it is their right as Americans to choose to die. I read comments from some of them around these parts or on social media. I have no intention of wearing a mask next February to protect them. Nor would they ask me to.

danyoung56

Our governor has announced the lifting of all restrictions here in Texas in a week. I'm hoping that my workplace will remain a bit more cautious than that and keep the masks in place.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What is the current guidance on taking pain relievers to help with the side effects of the vaccine? I thought there was a concern at one point about taking the pain relievers just before you got the shot, but don't know if there is any concern afterwards.

Lilofan

What is the current guidance on taking pain relievers to help with the side effects of the vaccine? I thought there was a concern at one point about taking the pain relievers just before you got the shot, but don't know if there is any concern afterwards.
The RNs at the vaccine sites advised my mom and I we could take Tylenol after the shot if we had pain. There have been medical experts that recommend no aspirin a few days before the shot. I took Tylenol on both the Moderna first and second post shot due to side effects I had experienced, more so after the second shot.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No

But then wasn't H1N1 added to the regular flu shot starting the next flu season?
I get the feeling that by the time September/October roll around there will be the option for a Covid shot and flu shot at your local pharmacy, doctor, or vaccine clinics.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No

From what I've seen its like any other vaccine.
You should avoid Advil/Tylenol for 4 hours prior and 4 hours after and only take it if your side effects warrant it.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Received my first shot yesterday - Moderna. Just happen to be awake at 1am and got an alert of available appointment, got a same day appt. in NJ.
During the 15 minute observation my arm began to shake pretty bad but after a few minutes it went away. Hadn't seen that listed as an effect or heard anyone having that happen. Now 24 hours later, I just have some soreness.
Here's to hoping we are on the continued path to leave COVID in the past.

Last edited:

MrHappy

Slight headache and fatigue last night, but nothing an early bedtime couldn’t resolve.

Arm pain today is admittedly worse than the flu shot for me, but still, no big deal. I get a day off from working out 🏋️‍♂️

On to dose 2 in 20 days!

Ironically, I drove by the Pfizer Clinical Research Unit in New Haven on the way home.
What was your RotR technique....I meant vaccine apt technique? Vams, Rite Aid, etc?

Tom P.

I have seen recommendations against taking pain medicine in advance of the vaccine as a preventative. It is probably unnecessary anyway, since most side effects do not begin until several hours after and a dose of Motrin or Tylenol would have worn off by then. I have not seen any recommendation against using a standard, over-the-counter pain reliever to relieve symptoms after the vaccination. I am not a doctor nor an expert, however. Just relaying what I've heard.

ToTBellHop

What was your RotR technique....I meant vaccine apt technique? Vams, Rite Aid, etc?
All of the above lol...got the earliest appointment through CVS and then canceled all others. Unlike VAMS, CVS lets you book both appointments at once, which I love, so I went into dose 1 knowing when dose 2 will be. Not sure why they aren’t doing this everywhere. People are far more likely to return for shot 2 if they know when it is when they show up for shot 1.

ToTBellHop

I have seen recommendations against taking pain medicine in advance of the vaccine as a preventative. It is probably unnecessary anyway, since most side effects do not begin until several hours after and a dose of Motrin or Tylenol would have worn off by then. I have not seen any recommendation against using a standard, over-the-counter pain reliever to relieve symptoms after the vaccination. I am not a doctor nor an expert, however. Just relaying what I've heard.
The CDC dealt with this recently. OTC pain killers and NSAIDS are fine after, but not before.

Briefly, you don’t want to prevent initial inflammation—that’s what starts the immune response. But, using meds to put a lid on inflammation afterward is A-OK. The white blood cells have already arrived with the initial inflammation. Taking aspirin won’t make them leave.

Just wait until symptoms develop! Any time before then and you could, indeed, limit your immune response.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
All of the above lol...got the earliest appointment through CVS and then canceled all others. Unlike VAMS, CVS lets you book both appointments at once, which I love, so I went into dose 1 knowing when dose 2 will be. Not sure why they aren’t doing this everywhere. People are far more likely to return for shot 2 if they know when it is when they show up for shot 1.

For NYS sites they tell you it will be the same day of the week at the same time before you complete your first appt registration.
I got mine through the county website and it tells you it will be the same day of the week but after you get your first shot you sit in your car and book the second via a specific link they give out each day so you know no one else is gonna "steal" your dose.

ToTBellHop

For NYS sites they tell you it will be the same day of the week at the same time before you complete your first appt registration.
I got mine through the county website and it tells you it will be the same day of the week but after you get your first shot you sit in your car and book the second via a specific link they give out each day so you know no one else is gonna "steal" your dose.
Here in CT, if you go through the state website (we use VAMS), you have to book your 2nd appointment after your first is complete, and there are no guarantees one will be available. Just silly.

And putting the onus on the recipient to book dose 2 is foolish. Many just won’t do it. It’s far more effective to book the person before they leave and text them (can’t really do appt cards while Covid is still here) time and place with a reminder a day before Dose 2.

pixie225

Literally just got home from my Pfizer shot. Was at NY's Aqueduct Racetrack - state run site. Very well organized. Was in and out in 25 minutes for 2 of us to get our vaccines, which included 15 minutes of sitting time in a dedicated area to make sure we tolerated the shots. Took way longer to drive there and home. After the shot they immediately gave us the vaccine card with our next shot date written on it- 3/24 for us. Easy-peasy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom