Covid Vaccine Updates and General Discussion About Vaccines

Will you take a Covid vaccine once one is approved and deemed safe and effective by the FDA?

• Yes, stick me please

• No, I will wait

• No, I will never take one

Results are only viewable after voting.

correcaminos

Just thinking out loud and seeing what others opinions are...

With the CDC updating mask recommendations for fully vaccinated people privately gathering....
Do we think by summer the recommendations will be completely gone?
And if that's the case since Disney is basing their requirements off CDC guidelines do we think mask requirements will be gone at Disney come summer?

Its truly the main thing holding me back from going as I just don't know if I can handle it especially with the glasses fogging situation.
I will say the surgical style masks do so much better with me with glasses fogging.

I wish I knew what they would do. I truthfully think that with what I've been seeing, people will be the reason for relaxation. People are getting punchy and I'm seeing people not following the rules whenever they can. Blizzard Beach having looser rules (and understandably so) really makes some even more upset about it.

Who knows.

I do think my area will be mask free outdoors but then again it was mostly that way too for a long time. So we'll see.

Although Easter is an important holiday, especially from a religious perspective, I don't think it comes close to culturally being the same event that Thanksgiving and Christmas are. I doubt you are going to see the kind of large gatherings on a widespread basis that we saw during that November/December period. Between that and the fact that we are really ramping up vaccines, I'm hopeful that any spike we see would be minor and not actually represent a fourth wave.
Easter/Passover is one of the biggest spring break weeks we see in the US. That would have more than cultural IMO.

Lilofan

I wonder if any of the "No, I will never take one" votes have changed their mind since this thread began.
Some could change their minds if a family member or friend contacted covid. Someone I know is an airline exec for United based in Chicago. He flies to visit different hubs for work. He did not feel well lately , went to get tested and tested positive. Now he is quarantined and exhibiting symptoms of covid. I would also say the mostly 300K maskless bikers from all over the USA enjoying themselves recently at Bike Week in Daytona Beach, FL probably aren't too serious regarding the vaccine also.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
An estimated 40% of Americans now have naturally acquired or artificially acquired immunity.

Herd immunity is more of a dimmer than a light switch, and it’s getting darker by the day for the virus.

There was an article in the New York Times about this called "Herd Immunity is not Binary", it's an important thing for people to understand. Every person who acquires immunity slightly reduces the chance of a non-immune person becoming infected.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I just got Pfizer vaccine for first shot, my second shot will be April 1st, but I need go to Six Flags Great Adventure's Opening Day 2021 on March 27th, so I need to changed my second shot date to March 24th or March 25th/26th.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Hey, remember last Summer when we had the second wave that we were warned about but everyone was surprised anyway when everyone outside the tristate area spiked like the tristate area did and there were a thousand people dying *every day* from COVID?

Right now, 1,500 people are dying every day. It's worse now than the peak of that second wave.

So... there's that.

People should stop being complacent until that daily death rate gets in the dozens.

Stop counting doses and keep counting corpses.

ToTBellHop

Hey, remember last Summer when we had the second wave that we were warned about but everyone was surprised anyway when everyone outside the tristate area spiked like the tristate area did and there were a thousand people dying *every day* from COVID?

Right now, 1,500 people are dying every day. It's worse now than the peak of that second wave.

So... there's that.

People should stop being complacent until that daily death rate gets in the dozens.

Personally, I’ll stop counting corpses once they are only the fools proudly proclaiming on Facebook that they’re never getting the vaccine. And that masks are dangerous for their health. smh

Since those fools are about 20% of us, I expect deaths to stay above dozens long after most of us move on.

30k/year would be similar to an average flu season. With the caveat that projections have numerous pitfalls, middle of the road projections suggest us hitting that rate in mid-June.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I just got Pfizer vaccine for first shot, my second shot will be April 1st, but I need go to Six Flags Great Adventure's Opening Day 2021 on March 27th, so I need to changed my second shot date to March 24th or March 25th/26th.

I don't think that is advisable. Having the second shot later then 21 days shouldn't be much of a problem, but I don't think it's advisable to get it earlier then 21 days. Being properly vaccinated is much more important then going to Great Adventure.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I wonder if any of the "No, I will never take one" votes have changed their mind since this thread began.

Based on just the fact that in general early polls suggested only 20% of adults would get it and now clearly that number is much much higher or we wouldn't have to "fight" to get one I'd say there is a high probability that some folks on here have changed their mind.
I walk every day and see this one lady and prior to covid she was pleasant to talk to. But since coid... it went from its a hoax, to its no big deal, to no way I'M getting a vaccine, to I'M not playing the appt game, to I got an appt but I'm not going, to oh I got it no big deal everyone needs to get it so we can finally get back to normal.

MrHappy

An estimated 40% of Americans now have naturally acquired or artificially acquired immunity.

Herd immunity is more of a dimmer than a light switch, and it’s getting darker by the day for the virus.
I read that 40% was the estimation for the end of Jan. I think we are up to 50-55% by now, maybe 60%.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Personally, I’ll stop counting corpses once they are only the fools proudly proclaiming on Facebook that they’re never getting the vaccine. And that masks are dangerous for their health. smh

Since those fools are about 20% of us, I expect deaths to stay above dozens long after most of us move on.

30k/year would be similar to an average flu season.
That would be about 80 people per day.

As much as we have fools who won't get vaccinated, herd immunity from those vaccinated and those already infected should get us down to those numbers.

And those who won't get vaccinated will live and die by natural selection.

And so will the coronavirus being kept alive in that population mutating until it can affect us all again.

JoeCamel

I don't think that is advisable. Having the second shot later then 21 days shouldn't be much of a problem, but I don't think it's advisable to get it earlier then 21 days. Being properly vaccinated is much more important then going to Great Adventure.
I could not book before my due date. Plenty of chances after so a week or more late is doable. At least you have some immunity before you get the second dose.

ToTBellHop

That would be about 80 people per day.

As much as we have fools who won't get vaccinated, herd immunity from those vaccinated and those already infected should get us down to those numbers.

And those who won't get vaccinated will live and die by natural selection.

And so will the coronavirus being kept alive in that population mutating until it can affect us all again.
I think we long ago moved past any opportunity to end the virus. It’s raging in Brazil right now as it declines here. At least the individuals in the drivers seat in America are already busy preparing for the next wave, whenever it comes. Whether a boost of the original or a boost of a variant vaccine is needed, being prepared to quickly ramp up to 3 million doses into arms per day will be vital.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I think we long ago moved past any opportunity to end the virus. It’s raging in Brazil right now as it declines here. At least the individuals in the drivers seat in America are already busy preparing for the next wave, whenever it comes. Whether a boost of the original or a boost of a variant vaccine is needed, being prepared to quickly ramp up to 3 million doses into arms per day will be vital.
Is going be like end of the world like BS. HUH!? Well, if virus will keep mutating we're doomed. US needs go back to normal when all millions of people got vaccines in months.

Lilofan

Is going be like end of the world like BS. HUH!? Well, if virus will keep mutating we're doomed. US needs go back to normal when all millions of people got vaccines in months.
I've gotten my second Moderna shot in early Feb. I'm prepared to continue social distancing and wearing my mask properly wash hands etc at least thru the end of 2021.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Nah...you really don’t. Are we talking about the same great adventure??

So... there's that.

Here’s the depressing news of the day:

So we’ll have enough open supply by May for adults in the US...there will be open access by June or no later than July...

...but the infectious disease experts are saying there’s enough vaccine hesitancy to NOT achieve herd immunity by September...insuring a fall spike.

People following idiots posing as “public officials”

You want to compare it to the flu? Good news...you made it one.
Difference is the flu vaccines are 50% less effective.

Give grandma a kiss for me 😘

Yeah...I don’t think you’re gonna penetrate those shields, Captain Kirk.

Heppenheimer

Based on just the fact that in general early polls suggested only 20% of adults would get it and now clearly that number is much much higher or we wouldn't have to "fight" to get one I'd say there is a high probability that some folks on here have changed their mind.
I walk every day and see this one lady and prior to covid she was pleasant to talk to. But since coid... it went from its a hoax, to its no big deal, to no way I'M getting a vaccine, to I'M not playing the appt game, to I got an appt but I'm not going, to oh I got it no big deal everyone needs to get it so we can finally get back to normal.
Well, that anecdote is at least encouraging at the end.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom